Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Dress in hand, Bonnie stood in the middle of the store, partially relieved, and fully guilty. She had searched every crevice of the store when she exited the fitting room. There was no Damon. She hated this side of him, the one that ran from difficult situations instead of facing them head on. Like she really had room to talk, since the kiss she'd lived in ignorant bliss. She was being unfair to everyone involved. She knew damn well the moment her lips touched Damon's months before, they could never be just friends. Then there was the wolf attack, her recovery, and massive amounts of unyielding support from someone who never asked her for anything. Her mind swirled with thoughts and her heart was weighed down with overpowering emotions, but the witch's confusion deepened when the woman said she'd owed nothing on the bill; not even for the bejeweled stilettos that she still wore on her tiny feet.

"Dammit Damon."

She hissed under her breath, before kicking off the shoes and slipping them back into the velvet bag and returning them to the box. She gathered her purchases and left the store. Really, she hadn't meant for things to go on like this. They were friends; even saying that was unnatural in a sense. Damon "Drain You Dry" Salvatore didn't make friends. Neither did Bonnie "The Self Righteous" Bennett. The two had been pulled together by circumstance. She had harbored a slight crush on him until the days he encouraged Jeremy's advances and demanded implicitly that she not date the miniature warlock and instead opt for the future vampire hunter.

Bonnie listened; she was sure it was Damon's way of letting her down gently. After all, he had his unrequited love of Elena, and a bed kept cool by Rose. Why would he need her; for spells and sudden inexplicable desires for torturous brain paralyzing aneurisms.

She hung the dress up in her backseat and settled behind the steering wheel.

Jeremy.

When she was with him, everything made perfect sense. She was supernatural and human. A teen - age girl happily in love with her boyfriend, contemplating the details of prom night and the first night they would make love. He'd even grown to love Gossip Girl because of her constant need to watch the show. She had even taken to calling him Humphrey and he liked it as evidenced by the way he smiled, blushed, and blew soft kisses against the nape of her neck. He was thoughtful. Thinking of things before she could ask, cupcakes from the little café when the first inklings of PMS kicked in, he walked away from fights that she attempted to provoke with mean, half - hearted insults, and he held on the nights when she missed her mother more than words could ever express.

Still with every thought of him one of Damon crept in and vice versa. She felt like Katherine and even Elena. If only the goddess herself could help her solve this dilemma.

She didn't know a goddess, but there was a vampire that she trusted with all her dirty little secrets.

XoXo

"Ewwee Bon," Caroline paused over the bowl of chips, "Damon." The vampire sat back, shoveling chips into her mouth, eyes blinking and lashes flittering. "This is why you are nowhere to be found, six days a week with the ab man and one day with king of undead sexiness."

"Don't judge me Sweet Valley High." Bonnie snatched the bowl from her friend's hand, "Lockwood and..."

Caroline threw her hands up in the air before Bonnie could finish her statement, "I'm handling that, at least I'm single, and not in the relationship of the year and contemplating what if with the vampire reincarnation of Chuck Bass. Seriously, Cabbage Patch wins this battle hands down."

How could Bonnie make Caroline understand? It wasn't about who was better for her, yes she didn't even have to think about the answer to that particular question. Jeremy was better for her heart, mind, and soul. She had a future with him. One that probably involved beautiful supernatural beauties with a cultivated hate for evil vampires but an unspoken love for Auntie Caroline and Uncles Stef and Dame. Yet she worried about his fragile human state, his near death at the hands of her now best friend and the evils life could bring not related to an unnatural death. Uncle John's ring could never save him from that.

She was thinking too much. Anything could happen. In a year Jeremy could be an ex. A stupid, sex - obsessed tyrant whose presence she no longer acknowledged. Or he could be the regret of the century if she allowed what they had to end without a fair chance.

"I love Jeremy."

Bonnie believed those words and it wasn't delusion.

"And Damon?"

Caroline's eyes were wide with wonder.

"Care, there's something there and I don't know if it's lust, curiosity, or something much deeper than a four letter word."

She allowed her head to fall to the kitchen table and she groaned in frustration. This was sickening and she was tired of her back of forth battle with indecision.

"I can't tell you what to do Bon." Caroline's ice cold hand was strangely comforting as it encircled Bonnie's. "I need you to be happy and safe. I don't know if I can trust Damon with your heart."

Bonnie leaned into the hug her friend offered and for the first time since her release from the hospital, she allowed herself a moment of weakness. The tears fell in cleansing, clarifying rivulets.

"You're my best friend."

She nodded at the baby vamp's words.

"You're mine too."

Caroline brushed a stray strand from her friend's face, "I haven't seen you as happy as you are with Jeremy in a long time. We," The blonde's eyes fell to the floor, "Elena and I use to make you that happy, now its Jer's turn."

Bonnie agreed with Caroline and knew her words to be true, but that nagging feeling of disbelief remained. She hugged her friend tightly and said goodbye.

XoXo

There was no Damon when she arrived at the Salvatore house. Stefan offered her a knowing look as he breezed past her and out the door. She settled in the den, fighting with the remotes. She never could remember which worked the plasma, controlled the fireplace, or filled the room with the classic rock her vampire enjoyed.

She struggled to get comfortable on the leather sofa; eyes staring at the blank screen and the soft hum of the fire lulling her to sleep. It was late and she knew Jeremy would be waiting for her at home, but she had to clear the air with Damon before anything moved further. Her nap was restless and she was sure it was her nerves.

Bonnie sat up when she heard Damon's motor roar into the driveway. She quickly jumped up and brushed away the traces of sleep from her eyes and face. He entered the home in a firestorm. Eyes still glazed over with lust, fang protruding from his gums, and the unmistakable stains of an innocent life's blood covering his clothes.

"Damon, what did you do?"

It was more of a plea. She begged for him to tell her anything other than the truth.

"She was strawberry blonde." He meandered to the bar, pouring a drink, "Nothing like you."

She watched as he swallowed the glass and poured another.

"That's why I chose her; I needed to get your face out of my head."

His eyes were still deep pools of black and she could feel the pain pouring off of him in waves.

"It worked for a second. You haunt me. Not the woman I staked, the bitch who fucked me in the ass for 145 years, or the girl that shares her face." Damon moved closer, blood tainted fingers stroking the fullness of her lips, "You little witch."

"I told you I would kill you if you ever took another innocent life."

He pushed her from him, "Do it, stop with all the empty threats." He filled his glass again before snatching off his leather jacket.

She contemplated her next move and then his words ripped her heart from his chest.

"Katherine played this game better than you. Elena was damn near a pro." Damon turned on her in frenzied anger, "You're just a clueless little high school idiot, go fuck your perfect boyfriend and get the hell out of my life."

Damon threw the entire of bottle of cognac into the fire and the flames raged.

The tears burned her eyes but with one word the violent heat crackled, popped, and snaked a path toward the drunken vampire.

"With pleasure."

Bonnie ran from the house before Damon could see her cry. It was over, they had both gone farther than I'm sorry could possibly cover.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.