Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


This family was all about road trips. We could afford plane tickets, but something about being trapped in the car with the people you love for two days is just exciting. We were ten minutes away from Hilliard's, a rich summer getaway in Ruston, Washington, and I stretched out my tense muscles after my power nap.

 "Five minutes," my father, Joel, said from the front seat glancing at the backseat through the mirror.

 My older sister, Charity, exhaled; "Finally," she ran a hand through her hair. "I want out of this confinement."

 "Enjoy it now because soon enough, you'll be doing it with your own family, away from us, and you'll miss it." My mother, Noelle, said rolling her eyes and hinting at my sister's upcoming wedding. She glanced at the road ahead with fervor. "Oh! This is going to be so fun this year guys!" She turned in her seat and looked back at us with a grin on her face. "Ugh. Lighten up, Nellie. It'll be fun!"

 My dad pursed his lips and scratched his head. "We're here." He noted, pulling into what looked like a valet strip. He got out of the car and walked around to let my mom out. I shook out my loose, dark brown, natural curls before getting out of the car.

 "Joel McNeil!" A middle-aged man came running out of the front of the building towards my dad. He hugged my dad and pointed to him, looking at us. "The last time your father came here was almost twenty years ago. Can you believe it?" He was over excited. I was not pleased, seeing as though I was still a little tired.

Charity looked at dad with a surprised and shocked face. "You should have come more often, daddy," while I just gave my most interested smile. A closed-mouth, dimple-bearing smile- just to show I was listening.

"Girls," My father started, cocking his head to the side a little, "This is Jaden Hilliard, one of my oldest and best friends. He owns the place. Jaden, you remember Charity, Nellie, and Noelle. "

 "Hi," Charity exclaimed, holding out her hand.

 I took Jaden's hand and said, "Nice to meet you Mr. Hilliard."

 "Nonsense!" He yelled. He looked at my dad again. "Joel I should have come down more often. Call me Jaden, girls."

 "We should go put our bags in our room, Jaden." My mom said, ending the conversation.

 Mr. Hilliard grinned. "Go right ahead," He rubbed his semi-bald head. "Carson, come show this family to their room, eh?" I picked up my suitcase and duffel bag and followed behind Carson, letting him and his broad shoulders guide me. We walked past a green field- most likely for golf- and a cabana and a lake. Our suite was connected to two others and the clubhouse was only a couple feet away from the other line of suites. I examined the area and saw the ballroom right next to the clubhouse. It was a nice place.

 "We're here," Carson turned around and looked at me, flashing his white teeth, slightly crooked. He was cute.

 My cheeks heated from the grin he gave me. I know that it was only a welcoming smile, but I still get those tingles in the pit of my stomach that gave away the shyness I possessed. "Thank you," I replied, sending him a diffident beam and looking back at my family. I stepped into the room and took a gander at its appearance. There was a living room with a plush bamboo colored couch with three green pillows. In front of it was a light brown coffee table which after putting my suitcase in the corner, I moved to see if the couch was a bed too because there is no way on earth I am sleeping with Charity. I wonder how her fiancé survives. She kicks all over like a child and sometimes pushes people off the bed. That is the reason I’ve only shared a bed with her three times since I was fourteen. I lied on the bed and stretched out, my face down in the sheets.

 “Nellie, get up,” My mother said, shaking my foot and moving it a little. I turned on my back. “We’re going to the clubhouse. As a family,” she turned to Charity and looked at her through slits. “Now.” Was her simple command and I sat up, swinging my legs over the bed and walking to the bathroom. I fixed my hair in the mirror smoothed my lilac colored sundress with a cinched waist that stopped right above my knees. I looked down at my brown and black strapping sandals and stood up on my tippy toes and sat back down. I looked good. I turned and walked out of the bathroom, out of the suit, and into the fresh air where my family was waiting for me.

 My dad led the way; obviously, he’d been here a couple times before. We walked down a large strip of stone and past the garden, when we finally got to the clubhouse; he opened the door for us and motioned for us to enter. I stepped up the steps and when we got in, there was jazz music playing on low.

 My mom led us to a small table by the window and I sat first, taking the window seat. Charity sat across from me and dad sat next to me. The waiter came up to our table and he asked, “Welcome to the clubhouse. I’m Jason. Can I start you all off with a drink?” I ordered a simple grape juice and sat back in my chair, waiting patiently for the drinks. I would have to admit, the boys that work here are wonderfully cute

 “What are you going to order, Nell?” My sister asked me, nudging me under the table a little bit.

 I looked up at her and gave a blank gaze before seizing my menu. “I think I’ll order the Penne Salad,” I informed her, putting the menu down at the head of the table on top of my parents. When the waiter came back around, he stopped in front of my dad and inquired, “Are you guys ready to order?”

 My mom said yes and the rest of us nodded. They all said what they wanted to order and when he got to me, he looked right into my brown eyes. Oh goodness, even his blue eyes are cute. “I think I’ll have the penne salad,” I said, unsure.

 “Are you sure about that? You said I think which leads me to believe you didn’t really think you should get it.” Jason joked, sending me a flirtatious smirk. He looked around the table at my family and his eyes landed on my dad, who was looking at him with an unamused expression.

 His laughter immediately stopped as my dad said, “Her answer is final.” Jason quickly wrote down my order and walked away after saying, “Your food will be here in thirty minutes or less.”

 When he was out of earshot, Mom said “Joel that was not necessary. Not necessary at all.” Her face was in a flat frown and her black hair framed her face as she shook her head and started talking to my sister.

 This trip is going to be full of surprises. I know it.

 






Chapter End Notes:

How do you like?

 

Chapter Question: Do you like the way it starts? Would you keep reading?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.