Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This challenge reminded me of a Ray Bradbury story that I love. So I had to write something!




Author's Chapter Notes:

 photo c385f548-27f4-4f5a-8c6b-259b970012a4_zps8643ec93.jpg      photo e3586dae-0cee-424c-aebc-41d087d2f8f2_zpsebd7d02d.jpg




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


He's at work when he first hears about Other Half. His coworker is browsing the brochure of basic models.

"Can you believe this shit?" Ray flips through reading it carefully. "They look real, like supermodels," he shakes his head. "Remember when robots looked like robots? How the hell are you supposed to know who's actually a person these days?"

Jae scans the brochure, "The latest model is programed with 27 languages."

"She's not a girlfriend, she's a translator," Ray huffs.

"Or a travel guide," Jae laughs. "Customizable skin tone, eye color, and hair type. They don't gain or lose weight and don't need to eat or drink."

"Whoa, they even have an ageless option. This is so fucking crazy, man. How long has the government been using these before they finally decided to share the secret? How many robots did I have as teachers growing up?"

*** 

Lenard, his neighbor, is a bit of a hermit. Jae has lived in this building for 5 years and has only seen him a handful of times. Every time he's asked for a favor.  So when the man is waiting outside his door Jae is confused.

"Hey man, long time no see." Jae reluctantly takes his hand. It's clammy and shaky.

"Yeah. How've you been?"

"I'm good. Just finished a big project."

"Oh yeah? What were you working on?"

"That's what I want to talk to you about. Can I come in?" Jae is hesitant at first but Lenard is harmless so he lets him in.

"Can I get you some water?"

"Do you have anything stronger? Whiskey?" Jae nods. Anything to calm him down. The man sips his drink and sits on the couch. "I just got a big promotion."

"Congratulations," Jae pats his back.

"My work kinda prevents me from meeting people and getting out much and you're the only person I've ever felt I could ask for things from. You've been a big help so I wanted to give you something." He takes a booklet out of his back pocket and places it on the table. Other Half. "I've been working on this for years. I'm finally finished, worked out all the bugs and it's on the market."

"You built these?" Jae is in awe. He knew Lenard was nothing short of a genius but he never figured this was what he was working on.

"Yes sir. And I wanted to give you one. As a gift." These things are four million dollars; you don't give them as gifts. "Fill out the order form," Lenard holds up a small device "and you can pick it up in two weeks."

"I don't think I want one. They're kind of creepy." The thought of something not human living with him makes him shiver.

"They're incredibly lifelike. You can't even tell they're robots. I thought you would like this."

"Why would you think that?" Jae isn't sure if he should be offended or not. Does he really seem like the type to need a robotic companion?

"You're alone a lot. I mean not as much as me, but still a lot. I didn't put much thought into how you would use it, that's your business. I just thought it would be good company." Lenard stands and sets his glass down. "Just think about it. Submit the form and I'll call you when she's ready."

***

Jae spends the night wide awake. He can't say the offer isn't tempting. It's a four million dollar piece of machinery, for free. Hell, if he doesn't want it he can sell it. He agrees to do it. He knows it's stupid and could backfire on him but Lenard is right. He is lonely.

The order form lets you decide virtually everything about the robot. From basics like gender, age, and height to details like lip size and certain aspects of her personality. Everything is on a sliding scale, serious to funny, affectionate to cold. It's the most advanced model, something Jae would never be able to afford. He spends his entire night making her. He lets the program generate a name for her. Jocelyn. He prints out a confirmation and tries to go about his week without thinking about her.

***

Every day after he submits the order his anxiety increases ten fold. Was it a mistake? How would he explain her to other people?

Ray tells Jae he's saving up for the basic model. At 2.6 million dollars he thinks it's worth the investment.

"That's a lot of money, Ray." He couldn't justify spending that kind of money on anything.

"I got a pretty good inheritance. I think in 5 years I'll have enough." He doesn't tell Ray he's getting one of his own.

***

Three weeks later, on his lunch break, he gets a text from Lenard saying Jocelyn is ready. After work he drives 3 hours outside of the city to the facility.

He's greeted at the factory by the owner when he arrives.

"Mr. Shoda, Jocelyn is right this way." He leads him down a busy hallway into an office. "There are a few papers to sign before you take ownership. Did you bring the clothes?"

"Yeah, of course," Jae hands over an old t-shirt and sweatpants.

"Usually people bring things a little more...fitting."

"I haven't gone shopping yet." He was given instructions to buy the necessities for her. Toothbrush and clothes, but he'd somehow let it slip his mind.

"Some people actually prefer to shop with their new companion. Would you like to meet her?" Jae nods and readies himself. The door opens and she walks in.

She is lovely. Long, curly brown hair, green eyes and the apricot-amber skin he picked out. There's no expression on her face and it's a bit troubling for him.

She's wearing green scrubs and white shoes. At least with the clothes he brought her, she won't look like a patient.

"Hello Jocelyn," he tries not to show how nervous he is. "I'm Jae." She remains quiet but shakes his hand.

"She'll be silent for the first few hours. It's nothing to worry about, she's just taking everything in." Jae can't stop staring at his creation. She looks exactly like he designed. Jocelyn is ushered into a nearby room to change clothes.

"What if she doesn't like me?"

"That's impossible. They are designed to your wants and needs. She can't ‘not' like you. Here's a manual and contact info if you need anything."

The ride home is mostly silent. Jae tells her about himself, hoping to make her more comfortable. He doesn't know if that's what he's supposed to be doing but it makes him feel better. In such close quarters he can smell her. A freshly packaged smell and a soft, clean, soap smell. Like if you were to buy a new computer and Febrezed it. She moves like she's human. Her fingers tap idly and she bites her lip. Human quirks. How is that even possible?

***

They sit on the couch and Jae goes over the manual.

Please examine your model for any imperfections. You have 30 days to return it for a full refund.

The model has basic instructions already programed such as name, age, birthday, and the previous backstory already discussed.

The instruction guide says she learns from her environment and spends the first month mimicking and understanding her place. The guide calls it a grooming period. To show it what's expected of it. For example, if you want a housewife, you show her the kitchen and how to make your favorite foods. During this period she learns how to read your body language. She learns all things unique to you.

It is important to spend as much time as possible with him/her so he/she may learn about you.

An ID number is tattooed on the bottom of the model's foot in case lost or stolen.

"Jae," she says softly. Her voice is barely above a whisper. She sounds like a woman. No beeps or clicks like a robot should. 






Chapter End Notes:

Thanks to my amazing beta for putting up with me CuriouslyAmused

This is such a fun challenge

Hope you guys enjoy







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.