Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Cassie’s eyes opened suddenly. She looked around as they adjusted to the lack of light. It was still dark outside. Cassie assumed that it was probably the early hours of the morning. She slowly began to realize where exactly she was. Cassie pulled the sheet up tight around her body before looking to her left. Luke was fast asleep. His breathing was even and his head was turned toward the window. She took a deep breath before gingerly sliding off of the bed taking the sheet with her and leaving Luke exposed. 

“Shit.” Cassie said out loud as she stepped on something sharp. She paused instantly, praying to god her outburst did not wake the sleeping figure on the bed. When Luke did not move, Cassie began the task of finding her clothes in the dark. Once she had put everything, really what she could find, back on, Cassie threw the sheet back on the bed over Luke. She tiptoed out of the bedroom and into the more open living area. She easily spotted her purse on the chair where she left it when she first arrived. Cassie picked it up and left. 

As she made her way down the street, Cassie pulled out her cell phone and dialed a number more familiar than her own.

“Hello?” Jade said sleepily.

“Jade.” Cassie said.

“Cassie it’s three in the morning. What the hell?” 

“I did something really, very stupid. I’m coming over.” Before Cassie could hear Jade’s response, Cassie ended the call. She hailed a taxi and directed it to Jade’s building.

The entire ride to Jade’s home, Cassie bounced her leg up and down uncontrollably. She was trying not to think of her own stupidity. Luke was her friend. He was a friend that she never intended to make. But once he wiggled his way into that position, Cassie decided that was where he should stay. It was where she needed him to stay. While she was better than she was when they first met on the plane, Cassie did not feel ready for anything more than friendship. Neither of them ever discussed being anything more. The evening’s activities were spontaneous and, in Cassie’s opinion, very reckless. But mistakes were hardly ever calculated. And that is what happened, a mistake. It was what Cassie was trying to convince herself, but yet, she could not help thinking about doing it again. 

The taxi stopped in front of Jade’s building and Cassie got out. There were people making their way into the complex from their late night adventures. Cassie walked into the lobby after an extremely handsy couple. She was stopped by a security guard.

“Excuse me miss , but you need a hardpass to go up.” The guard said.

Cassie looked at the man confused. “I don’t have one of those.”

“Then I’m afraid you’ll have to leave then.”

“My friend is expecting me.” Cassie said.

“I don’t know where you think you are missy, but we don’t just let people up.” The guard glared at Cassie and pointed to the door.

Cassie rolled her eyes. “I’m just going to make a phone call.” Cassie said holding her phone up for the man to see.

Still glaring, the security guard nodded his head.

“What?” Jade said when she answered her phone.

“You have a different night guard. He won’t let me up.” Cassie explained.

“Did you tell him your name?” Jade asked.

“No he didn’t ask for it.”

“Your name should be on the list, Cassie. He’ll let you up.” Jade said.

“Right. See you soon.”

“Whatever, I’m not getting out of bed to answer the door, so you better have your key.” Jade said hanging up the phone.

Cassie walked over to the security guard’s desk. “My name should be on the list.” Cassie said.

The guard looked at her with a blank stare. 

“The list you have letting you know of common visitors.” Cassie explained.

“Of course it is. Who are you here to see and what is your name?” He asked as he began to angrily type something into the computer.

“Jade Watkins and my name is Cassandra, or Cassie, Mitchell.”

The guard scoffed, “of course you are.” He used the mouse to scroll through the list. “There’s your name. You can use that elevator over there.” He said pointing to the one on the left.

“What’s wrong with the one on the right?” Cassie asked curious as to why she needed to use a specific elevator.

“Because that one is already at the bottom floor.” The guard snapped.

“Oh.” Cassie felt stupid. “Thanks.” She said as she made her way over to the elevator.

When she arrived at the top floor, Cassie stuck the key to Jade’s home into the lock. She threw her purse onto a random chair before walking through the massive apartment.

Cassie opened the door to Jade’s bedroom and removed her shoes. She walked over to the bed where her friend looked like she was still sleeping and climbed in. Cassie sat with her back on the headboard. She poked Jade in the side.

“What the hell are you doing here at three thirty in the morning?” Jade groaned turning to face her bed’s new occupant.

“I had sex with Luke.” Cassie said.

“Well, I’m awake now.” Jade said sitting up and joining Cassie with her back resting on the headboard. “Was it good?”

“Really, that’s your first question?” Cassie laughed.

“Sweetie, you haven’t had sex since you’ve been back. And you didn’t mention any flings from abroad, so I’m assuming you’ve been in a bit of dry spell for over a year now.” Jade said.

Cassie rolled her eyes. She hated how well Jade knew her and how much she chose to share with Jade on a regular basis. “The sex was good. It was great. But it shouldn’t have happened.”

Jade nodded; she was not agreeing with Cassie, she just did not know what else to do. “Okay. Maybe you should start with how it happened.”

“It just did. I’m pretty sure I initiated it. Actually, I know I initiated it.” Cassie said.

“Cassie how plainly do I  have to put, start at the beginning for you?” Jade asked.

“I found Luke in a restaurant at a bar. He was in pretty bad shape. I closed out his tab and escorted him home.”

“I take it you did not leave after that?” 

“I didn’t leave until about thirty minutes ago.” Cassie said. “I stayed once I got him home. He fell asleep immediately after walking through the door. I watched a few of his movies and eventually fell asleep on his most uncomfortable couch.” Cassie said. “When I woke up, he was also awake. Then we watched another movie and we both fell asleep again.  We woke up at the end of the movie and we talked he went into the kitchen, I followed and then I kissed him and then one thing led to another.” Cassie waved her hand in the air. “Get the picture yet?”

“Yeah. I’ve got it.” Jade said. 

“I woke up naked in his bed and ran.” Cassie said. She pulled her legs up to her chest, folded her arms over her knees and rested her head on them. “I’m not sure what I was thinking, or even if I was thinking.”

“I’m going to go with you weren’t thinking.” Jade said.

They sat in silence for a few minutes.

“Do you want to be with him?” Jade asked. It seemed like the obvious question to ask.

“What?!” Cassie lifted her head.

“Do you want a romantic relationship with Luke.” 

“No…I…he’s my friend and I don’t want anything to happen to our friendship.” Cassie paused. “But dammit the sex was mind blowing.”

Jade laughed. “I think you just haven’t gotten any in a while. I’m guessing you want to sleep with him again.”

“Yeah I do, but I don’t want to complicate things.” Cassie said. “How could I be so stupid?”

“Because we’re human.” Jade sighed. She looked away.

“What’s that about?” Cassie asked shifting the subject to Jade’s love life. “Something wrong in your fabricated paradise?” 

“Tonight we’re talking about you okay.” Jade said.

“Fine, I won’t push. But I kind of don’t want to talk about it anymore tonight. It’s almost four in the morning. Mind if I crash here?” Cassie said.

“When have I ever said no?” Jade asked. She stood up and disappeared into a closet. When she came back, she was holding a heavy mink blanket. She threw it at Cassie. “Here you go. I hate how you hog the covers.” Jade said climbing back into bed.


 

The sun shined into Luke’s bedroom. Its rays landed on his exposed back warming his body. He stirred. With his eyes still closed, Luke turned his head away from the window. He took a deep breath and caught the familiar scent of Cassie’s perfume on one of his extra pillows. His eyes shot open as he remembered what transpired the night before. He expected to see Cassie’s sleeping form, but instead there was an empty space.

Luke rubbed his eyes and sat up on the bed. He looked around for any sign of the woman who had become one of his closest friends. What he found was his room in disarray. The sheets were all twisted and the comforter was on the floor. There was a trail of his clothes that looked as if it extended beyond the door to his room. The artwork on the wall was askew. Luke distinctly remembered the way Cassie jerked away from the painting when it rammed into her back as he had her pressed against the wall.

It had been a long time since he spent a night like that or had a day like he did. Luke stood from the bed. He went to his dresser and pulled out a pair of sweatpants to wear. Afterwards, he ventured out of his room hoping Cassie was in the kitchen or living room. He was disappointed when he found no sign of her anywhere.

Luke sat down on the sofa in the same spot he was in the previous night. He leaned his head back and placed a hand over his eyes. I should not have done that; he thought to himself. I should not have let that happen. It never should have gone that far. Luke never believed he would sleep with Cassie. He definitely thought about it; Cassie was a very attractive woman. But she was his friend. And Luke tried his best never to sleep with his friends. Those situations usually ended very badly.

After sitting and contemplating the events of the night before, Luke determined he needed to talk to Cassie. He dialed her number, but it went straight to voicemail. Of course she is ignoring me. When he could not reach her, Luke went into a bit of a panic mode. He got dressed and went out.

As Luke walked the streets, unsure of where he was going, the same thought ran through his head,  a drink would be really good right about now. But instead of finding a bar, Luke realized he needed to find a meeting. So he took out his cell phone and looked up where a meeting would be held within the next couple of hours. After finding one relatively close by, Luke walked the short distance to its location. When he stopped in front of the church, Luke took a deep breath. He pulled open the heavy doors and stepped inside. He easily found his way to the Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in the basement. It was something he needed to attend before he could decide what to do next.

Just over an hour after Luke entered the church, he exited the building. He nodded politely to fellow meeting attendees as each person went their separate direction. Luke walked down the sidewalk taking in the movements of New Yorkers running their weekend errands. He looked at his watch; it was a little past noon. Needing someone to talk to, Luke walked to the nearest subway stop and took the train to Alex and Dani’s part of the city. 

Luke arrived at his destination and walked into the building. He smiled at the security guard who waved as he walked inside. On the ride up to his friends’ apartment, a sudden thought came to Luke’s head. He hoped he was not interrupting their Saturday plans. The elevator stopped and Luke walked onto Alex and Dani’s floor. He stopped at their apartment and knocked on the door. The door opened. It was Alex on the other side.

“Hey, we weren’t expecting you were we?” Alex asked as he stepped aside to let the other man into the apartment.

“No, no. You didn’t forget anything. I just needed to talk to someone. Is Dani around?” Luke said scanning the apartment for signs of Alex’s wife.

“Nah, she took AJ to a Mommy and Me yoga class.” Alex said sitting down on the couch. “She should be back in about thirty minutes or so. Did you want to talk to her too?”

Running his hand through his hair, Luke sat in a chair opposite Alex. “I don’t know.” Luke said with uncertainty. However after thinking about the question more, Luke shook his head. “No, I don’t want to tell her what happened. She’ll be so disappointed.” Luke remembered how proud his friend was every time he reached a milestone in his sobriety. By drinking the previous day, Luke had let down more people than just himself.

“Yesterday was rough.” Luke started.

Alex nodded his head. He had an idea of where this was going. When he opened the door to let Luke in, he could tell something was wrong. Luke was a bit disheveled and his clothes, which the lawyer prided himself on, were wrinkled. Also, Alex knew there was very little Luke could do to disappoint Dani. There was a time when Alex was jealous of the relationship his wife shared with Luke. But he quickly came to realize that Dani thought of Luke as a brother, and she treated him that way. When Luke was struggling in the early days of his sobriety, Dani was his biggest and strongest supporter. She did not give up on Luke. The way she treated one of her best friends—when everyone else was giving up on Luke, Dani didn’t—was one of the many things Alex loved about Dani. 

Finding himself back in the reality of the moment, Alex sat back on the couch. “What happened?”

“I lost all will to resist. My boss insisted I taste this forty-year-old Scotch. After that, I ended spending most of the afternoon at the restaurant’s bar. I was not in good shape.” Luke said.

“Luke.” Alex said.

“I know.”

Alex looked at Luke skeptically, “You’re not…you haven’t had anything to drink this morning have you?”

“No. I…Cassie found me at the restaurant late in the afternoon. She took me home and stayed while I slept most of the day away.” Luke explained. “I actually just came from a meeting.”

Alex sighed. He was relieved that his friend was able to take the first steps toward getting back on track. He was also grateful to Cassie for finding Luke and getting him home safely. “That’s good.” Alex said. He watched Luke’s reaction. “But something else happened didn’t it?” 

“Cassie stayed. She was there when I woke up that evening. We both fell asleep watching a movie. And then we slept together.”

Alex’s eyes grew in size at Luke’s admission. He was not expecting that development. Having met Cassie, and from Luke’s own words, the woman did not seem like the type to have random sex with a friend. She definitely did not give off any vibes that she wanted to be in a relationship any time in the near future. So their actions surprised Alex.

“She was gone when I woke up this morning. I haven’t talked to her since.” Luke said. “I’m more confused now than I’ve been in a very long time.”

Alex did not have any helpful words for his friend. As he tried to think of something to say, the lock on the door clicked. 

Dani walked in carrying a sleeping AJ on her hip. She immediately noticed Luke sitting in the living room with her husband. 

“What are you doing here?” Dani asked. Knowing her son could sleep like a rock, she did not bother to lower her voice. She walked through the apartment toward the men.

“Just needed someone to talk to. I’m going to head out now. I’ll see you both later.” Luke said standing. “Thanks Alex.” 

Before either Alex or Dani could say otherwise, Luke was out of the door. 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.