Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It's been a while, but here is chapter 22. It is a little short, but the next one should be up in the next day or two.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


A few weeks into August, Cassie found herself in the lobby of a Manhattan hotel with Dani. The two women were there to meet with their account manager. After the many months of planning, the larger group decided this particular Manhattan hotel was the perfect place to hold the Halloween fundraising gala.

Dani sat quietly in a chair across from Cassie. She took in the grandiose surroundings of the hotel lobby. Since learning of the arrangement between Cassie and Luke, Dani made it a point not to directly engage Cassie in any way. It was a difficult task as they worked with each other on a regular basis.

Cassie recognized Dani's now familiar tactic and sighed.

"This has been going on long enough Dani." Cassie said frustrated. She hated that her relationship with Luke was causing a rift in a partnership, which up until that point, worked well.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Dani replied. She looked at her phone for the time. Their account manager was late.

"Dani, we work together. We cannot not have discussions because you're mad at me."

Dani turned to face Cassie. "He's going to get hurt, and it will be your fault."

Cassie sat back in her seat surprised. It was the first time that Dani explicitly said what Cassie knew was bothering her. "Dani, in all honesty it's none of your business. And for the record, he's a grown man who can make his own decisions. Luke and I are adults. We had a conversation, and we came up with an arrangement."

"And you're okay if he gets hurt in all of this?" Dani asked tilting her head.

"No one is going to get hurt Dani. He's fine. I'm fine. Everything is working out just fine."

"And when whatever is going on between you two ends, because let's be honest it will end; these types of ‘arrangements' never last. What happens then? What happens when Luke comes to his senses and realizes he wants more. Or what happens when you're finally ready for something more than just sex but not with Luke? What happens then Cassie?"

Cassie stared at Dani. The other woman had said a lot, and it was a lot for her to process. Instead of trying to make sense of all that was said, Cassie shook her head. "I'm just trying to live in the moment for now Dani. Is that such a crime?"

"No it's not, not for you. But when you involve someone else, someone who wants a future and not just a ‘fuck-buddy,' then it's a problem."

Cassie looked at Dani confused. "What do you mean?"

"Just forget it Cassie. I'm going to see what's taking so long." Dani stood up and went over to the front desk.

While Dani waited to be seen at the front desk, Cassie absent-mindedly flipped through the apps on her phone. She was not paying attention when Dani returned with a man in tow.

"Cassie." Dani said getting her partner's attention.

Cassie first looked up at Dani. She then shifted her attention to a newcomer who stood with Dani. A man, approximately six feet two inches tall, towered in front of her. He was attractive and Cassie attempted to hold back a smile. His head was covered in light brown curls that seemed to blend seamlessly into his brown skin. Through his well-tailored suit, one could tell he adhered to a regular workout regimen. Cassie stood.

Dani was highly aware of Cassie's reaction to her companion, and to be fair Dani's reaction was similar to Cassie's when he first introduced himself at the front desk. "Cassie this is Dylan Hunt. He's our new account manager."

Cassie held out her hand. Dylan shook it and gave Cassie a bright smile. "It's nice to meet you." Cassie said.

"Likewise." Dylan said releasing Cassie's hand.

"What happened to Anna?" Cassie asked.

"She took a new job elsewhere, so I'm her replacement. Not to worry though, I have all of the notes for your event. If you follow me, the three of us can have a seat in my office to discuss some of the newer details." Dylan said.

"That sounds fine." Dani said.

Cassie nodded her head in agreement.

Dylan led the trio from the lobby to the back of the hotel. He opened a door to a spacious office where there was a desk and a few chairs. Dylan pulled out two chairs for his guests before sitting down behind the desk.

"So," Dylan began as he reached for a file folder. "You have requested our grande ballroom for a masquerade gala."

"That's right. We had most of the details worked out with Anna." Cassie said as she pulled her own folder from her large handbag.

"Yes, I see. And you are sure you don't need our catering services? Our kitchen staff is top notch." Dylan said. He caught Cassie's eye in hopes to change the pair's mind.

Dani recognized Dylan's attempt to flirt with Cassie, and she was not okay with the situation, especially considering the conversation she and Cassie had earlier.

"No." Dani said shortly. "My husband is catering the event."

"We will, however, need some additional wait staff." Cassie said. She gave Dani a pointed look and Dani rolled her eyes.

Dylan watched the interaction between the two women and wondered what exactly was going on.

"Right, I'll make a note of that. I assume your husband will also need use of the kitchen as well." Dylan said.

"That is correct. He's actually worked with this hotel before, so his information should be on file. However, I also have his card. You can place it in our file, just in case." Dani said as she handed Dylan a business card.

"Thank you. I'll just clip this here." Dylan said. "What about the decorations? We have someone on staff who could help out with that as well."

"We've already hired someone so you don't need to worry about that either. They weren't available to come with us today. We'll bring them by at another time so they can have a look at the space." Dani explained.

"Fair enough." Dylan said. "Is there anything else then I can do for you?"

"If it's available, we'd also appreciate a look at the grande ballroom. I want to jot down some notes to take back to the rest of our party." Cassie said.

"That is not a problem. It's in the process of being cleaned out. We had an event in there earlier today, but I can give you guys a quick tour."

"Thank you." Cassie said.

"Yeah, thanks." Dani said as she and Cassie stood.

Dylan led Cassie and Dani to the grande ballroom on the other side of the hotel. As he stated, there were staff throughout cleaning up the remnants of a banquet. Dani's phone rang just as the group entered the room. She looked down at the caller id before answering. "I'm sorry, I've got to take this."

"It's fine." Dylan said.

Dani walked a few feet away to have a personal conversation. Dylan and Cassie continued their trek along perimeter of the room together. Cassie looked around the room trying to picture how it would look the evening of the gala. She imagined there'd be beautiful fall flower arrangements throughout the room with hints of elegant Halloween decorations.

Dylan watched Cassie for a few minutes as they quietly walked the room. From the moment he saw her, he was both fascinated and interested. He wanted to find out more about the curly-haired beauty that was quietly walking next to him. He decided the best way to achieve his goal was to start with a neutral and relevant topic. "So, this masquerade gala you're hosting..." he began.

"Yes?" Cassie said.

"I'm assuming it's more than just a party."

"It is actually more than just a party." Cassie laughed. "It's sort of a kickoff event for a nonprofit that we're getting started. This is the first major fundraiser."

"That sounds exciting." Dylan said.

"It is. I get to work with my best friend and do something good for the kids."

"So it's a charity for kids?"

"More or less. We want to make sure music remains available to kids in public schools." Cassie explained.

"And, Dani over there is your best friend?" Dylan asked with a raised eyebrow. Based on the interaction between the two of them, Dylan was skeptical of how close the two women actually were.

Cassie laughed and shook her head. "No Dani's a friend, just not my best friend. Jade brought us all together. Of our planning committee, Dani and I just happen to be the ones who are currently free at the moment."

"I see. So what's going on then between the two of you?" Dylan asked. "There seems to be some tension there."

Cassie looked to Dani who was still on the phone. "It's nothing really." Cassie said. "Just a bit of a disagreement is all."

Dylan nodded his head before changing the subject. "This may be a bit forward of me." He started.

Cassie tilted her head. She had a slight inclination of where Dylan's train of thought was heading.

"But I would love to have dinner with you sometime." Dylan said.

Cassie smiled politely. "Would this be a working dinner?"

Dylan laughed, "no I hope it won't be."

"You've known me for less than an hour and you're asking me out on a date." Cassie said.

"Too presumptuous of me?"

"Yes, very." Cassie said. "I don't know anything about you, except that you started working here a few weeks ago and you're now our account manager."

"Well," Dylan started, "if you allow me to take you out one evening, that would change. We could get to know each other."

"Dylan, I don't think a date would be a good idea." Cassie said.

"All because you don't know me?"

"Not entirely. I'm just not really looking for anyone to date at the moment." Cassie explained.

"So you're saying in the future, after you've known me for more than an hour, you would agree to go on a date with me?"

Cassie laughed at Dylan's persistence. "I guess there could be a possibility."

"Then I guess I'll just have to ask you at another time then." Dylan put on his most charming smile.

Dani looked over to where Dylan and Cassie were standing. She watched as Cassie smiled and shook her head at Dylan and wondered what was going on between the two of them. Dani did not want Cassie and Luke to continue with their current arrangement, but she also did not want to see Cassie with their new account manager either. Dani had a feeling that anything that sprung from the new business relationship between Cassie and Dylan could only end up hurting her closest friend.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.