Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It's been a really long time, but here is a new chapter. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The sun was high in the sky and its rays heated the air around them as they stepped out of the 25th street station. Cassie and Luke were spending a Saturday afternoon in late August exploring the city. After their first get together at the movie theater, Cassie decided she wanted to rediscover New York City. In the twelve years she spent in the city, Cassie never truly explored her surroundings. Since she now had the time, and a reluctantly willing victim, Cassie made a point to regularly visit someplace new. 

Luke was curious about their current outing. Generally, he was okay with Cassie’s picks, but he found it suspicious that she remained tight-lipped about their destination. When they went on these adventures, Cassie would give Luke an idea of where they were going, if not tell him outright. Their outings were not always just the two of them. Some weekends, Cassie managed to convince Alex and Dani or Carmen out with them. This particular weekend, however, he was her sole victim.

They walked a block before Cassie stopped in front of  a gate. Luke read the sign to the right and balked. 

“Cassie, we’re at a cemetery.” Luke said. He looked at his companion and tilted his head. He hoped this was not their destination.

“Yes, this is the Green-Wood Cemetery.” Cassie said as she continued walking down the drive. There were a number of other people doing the same.

“This is where we’re spending the afternoon?” Luke asked. He was still in shock.

“Yes Luke. It’s a historical place. It’s the oldest cemetery in the city. I think it would be fun to explore it. “ Cassie said. 

They walked through the large ornate gothic arches of the main entrance. There were a number of people walking around. Just inside the archway was a line of trollies.

“Wait here.” Cassie said. She disappeared into the main office. When she returned she was holding a pair of tickets. 

“What are those?” Luke asked suspiciously. 

“I  bought tickets for the Trolley Tour. It’s about two hours and goes around the cemetery.” Cassie explained.

“We are actually spending our Saturday in a cemetery?”

“Don’t think about it like that Luke. It’s a tour through a part of New York City history.” Cassie smiled.

Luke shook his head and reluctantly agreed. “Fine.” Cassie was an enigma; Luke figured that out long ago. She had many different interests and talents. It never ceased to amaze him when he discovered a new facet of his friend. Their Fourth of July tour was evidence enough that Cassie could be a bit of a history nerd, but that was understandable. What he could not get over was that Cassie had no reservations about spending the day in a cemetery.

They boarded the trolley with the rest of the people waiting around. At every stop, Cassie made sure to take plenty of photos. He was the subject of many of the pictures she took, but that was nothing new. Cassie took her camera with her every time they went out. She would instruct him to stand by different statutes, or in this particular case tombstones. Luke could not help but smile. 

The trolley pulled into a circle. It stopped in front of the stone chapel.

“Look at that!” Cassie exclaimed as she looked out the window. She was completely enthralled by the beauty of the 100-year-old chapel. The other occupants of the trolly began to get up and make their way off of the vehicle. Luke and Cassie did the same. 

“Okay everyone gather around.” The tour guide instructed.

Cassie and Luke joined the group in front of their docent. 

“As you may have guessed, this is the Historic Green-Wood Chapel. Construction was completed in 1911. It was designed by architectural firm Warren and Wetmore. The firm also designed the exterior for Grande Central Terminal and the primary clubhouse for the New York City Yacht Club. This chapel was actually restored in 2001. It can hold about one hundred people. If any of you are interested, you can host events and ceremonies here. Earlier this weekend we had a wedding; you might see a few petals that we missed in the clean up. If you are interested, you can inquire about the process and costs at the main office. Let’s go inside.” 

The group walked into the chapel. Cassie was awestruck. Despite it’s limited seating and intimate nature, the chapel still maintained a sense of grandeur. The high vaulted stone ceilings would carry sound well. Cassie tried to imagine what a lone piano or a string quartet would sound like in such a space. 

Luke watched Cassie with fascination. Part of the reason he was willing to go on Cassie’s adventures was because he enjoyed seeing how she reacted to something she found impressive. In their time together, Luke noticed there were a few emotions—glee and wonder being a couple—Cassie was incapable of hiding, despite her tendency to try and guard what she was feeling. 

Cassie turned around to face Luke. She felt him staring, something she noticed happening more frequently. It was also something she tried to ignore. 

“This place is awe-inspiring.” Cassie said.

Luke nodded his head. “It’s pretty nice.”

“Just ‘pretty nice?’” Cassie asked. She shook her head and walked away. 

When they were back outside in the open air, Cassie looked through the lens of her camera to take a photo. Luke stepped up next to her and waited for her to finish what she was doing.

“I’ll admit this place is more than just ‘pretty nice.’” Luke said when Cassie brought the camera away from her face.

Cassie smiled and turned to her friend. “That’s it? That’s all you can come up with?” Cassie laughed.

“It’s interesting and pretty nice.” Luke amended.

“Where is your sense of wonder?” Cassie asked.

Luke shrugged his shoulders and Cassie slightly hung her head. 

“Go stand over there.” Cassie said changing the subject. She pointed to a spot in front of the chapel doors.

Luke did as instructed. He stood in front of the doors with his hands in his pockets.

Cassie snapped a few photos before bringing the camera back down to her waist. 

“Are you done?” Luke asked.

“Yeah.” Cassie said. 

Luke began to walk back to Cassie. He noticed another tour member walk up to her and asked her a question. He was holding a camera similar to Cassie’s. Cassie nodded at the man before handing her camera over to him. Luke stopped and watched as Cassie walked up to him.

“He offered to take a picture of us.” Cassie said.

“I see.” He walked with Cassie back to the door. 

The pair stood side-by-side. Cassie put a hand on her hip and Luke, snaked an arm around her waist. 

“Okay smile on three. One, two, three.” The man holding Cassie’s camera said. “I got it. Do you want another one?” 

“Um… sure.” Cassie said. She would not protest taking more than one version of a photo. Cassie had a habit of always taking three pictures of the same thing.

“Alright then. Same thing, smile on three.” 

The man started his count down again. However, Luke wanted to have a little fun on the second go-round.  When the man got to two, Luke tickled Cassie’s side causing her to curl her body to avoid the sensation. Luke stopped his devious distraction and Cassie swatted him on the arm.  

“That was not nice.” Cassie said still out of breath from laughing. She walked away from Luke to retrieve her camera.

“The second picture turned out pretty good.” The man said handing the expensive digital camera back to Cassie.

“Thanks.” She smiled.

Luke joined Cassie as she made her way back to the trolley. 

After the tour ended, Cassie and Luke left the cemetery. They took the subway back to Cassie’s side of town and stopped to buy take out for an early dinner at Cassie’s apartment. 

The pair found themselves standing in a small Indian restaurant. The place bustled with busy people and the air was filled with the scintillating smells of Indian spices. Luke looked around at the crowded space.

“What are you looking for?” Cassie asked. 

“Just the bathroom, and there it is.” Luke said as he spotted a door at the back of the building.

“You can’t wait until we get to my place? I can only assume this place does not have the cleanest bathrooms.”

Luke shook his head as he began to move toward his target. “No, I’ve been holding it for a while. It will take me no time. I doubt the food will even be ready before I get back.” 

“Right.” Cassie said to no one in particular as Luke had already disappeared. She studied the diverse group of people that currently occupied her favorite Indian restaurant. There was a small family in the corner, a little girl with her dad and brother. Cassie watched them and her mind began to wander.

“Ms. Mitchell.”

Cassie looked up at the sound of her name. A wide grin broke out across her face as she recognized the man who was vying for her attention.

“Dylan, this is a surprise.” Cassie said. 

“It is, it is.” Dylan said nodding. “You come here often?” 

Cassie laughed at Dylan’s lame attempt at a joke. “Actually, I do. My apartment is not far from here, and I love the food. It’s probably the best place to get authentic Indian in the city. At least, that’s my opinion.”

“I’d have to agree.” Dylan smiled. 

Cassie’s grin grew wider in response to Dylan’s smile.

From across the restaurant, Luke watched Cassie’s encounter with a man he did not know. As he maneuvered his way back to his companion, Luke felt jealousy growing in the pit of his stomach. Standing next to Cassie was a man with model qualities, touching her arm and making her laugh. Even from a distance, Luke could see that Cassie’s reactions were genuine. 

When he reached the pair, Luke lightly put his hand on the small of Cassie’s back. It was an unconscious effort, on his part, to stake his claim. He felt Cassie lean slightly closer to him as she turned her head and smiled. 

“You’re back. Were the bathrooms as I suggested?” She asked.

“They weren’t too bad. Who’s this?” Luke asked as he resisted the urge to pull Cassie even closer to him.

Dylan was not an idiot, and he could take a hint. His smile faded somewhat at the prospect of Cassie not being at the restaurant alone.

“Luke this is Dylan. He is our account manager for the fundraiser.” Cassie explained.

Dylan offered his hand to Luke, “nice to meet you.”

“Likewise.” Luke said as he firmly grabbed and shook Dylan’s hand.

The tension between the two men began to escalate and Cassie began to feel uncomfortable.

“Number 102,” a voice called over the loud speaker.

Cassie sighed with relief. “That’s our order Luke. Meet me outside?” 

Luke glanced at Dylan once more before relenting. “Yeah, I’ll meet you outside.” He removed his hand from Cassie’s back and went to retrieve their food. 

“Well, I’m still waiting on my order.” Dylan said holding up his ticket as proof. 

“Of course.” Cassie nodded. “It was nice seeing you again. I’ve got to…” Cassie pointed to the door and began to move away from Dylan.

“Right.” Dylan felt the need to say more.  Before he could come up with a reason to continue their conversation, Cassie was out of the door on the sidewalk. He stared at her from inside the restaurant as she observed the world around her. Dylan felt someone brush by him, so he turned to see who the culprit was. He watched as Luke went out the door and over to the woman he had been observing. The pair walked down the sidewalk away from the restaurant as they carried on what looked to be a fascinating conversation.

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.