Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


It was 6:15 and Luke was running late, per usual. He had after work plans, however, he needed to work an extra hour after being in Iceland for the week. Even though his trip was business related, Luke still had other work responsibilities that could only be handled in the office. He was putting the final touches on his Associate Review. Each junior partner took on a new junior associate every three years. The goal was to help guide them in their careers. The program also allowed junior partners to have someone to whom they could dole out a few of their pro-bono cases. Luke’s junior associate was Carmen Medina. She had been with him the past two and a half years and he was not looking forward to having to groom someone else in the next six months. Carmen was a hard worker, she was smart and could think quickly on her feet. She and Luke also shared an important characteristic that would later allow her to succeed in her endeavors; she was just as much a workaholic as Luke.

Carmen was still in the office as well. She saw his light on and decided to knock on his door. “Don’t you have plans for the evening?”

Luke looked up from his computer, “I could ask you the same thing. Are you or are you not supposed to be heading out for a date with Dara’s cousin?”

Carmen shrugged her shoulders. “If she looks anything like Dara, then I think I’ll pass.” Carmen came in and sat down in the chair across from her mentor. She pulled her dark wavy hair into a ponytail. 

Luke stared Carmen down.

“That was a joke, by the way. Dara’s cousin called and canceled. Something came up. Why are you still here? Is there anything I can help you with?”

“Just finishing up your review for this quarter, so no, there’s nothing you can help with. You should go home, or better yet go out. It’s a Friday night you’re young and single.”

“I’ve never been one to go out and I’ll head home when you do.”

“Are you trying to score extra points on your review?” Luke asked.

Carmen smiled, “No. I just don’t like to head out by myself. Normally Sophie is around here late too, but she had plans so…”

Luke smirked, “Sophie… anything going on there?” In addition to being his protege, he also thought of  Carmen like a sister. When she came to New York and took the job, it was the first time she had been in the city. She grew up in a small Texas town near the Mexican border. The first time she lived outside of the state was when she moved to Massachusetts to attend Harvard.  

“No, definitely nothing going on there. Besides she doesn’t even notice me that way. We’re friends. And even if there was something, that’s kind of typical right, lawyer and paralegal. It’s just so cliche; I don’t want to be a cliche.”

“Says the Mexican-American, Harvard educated lesbian. Trust me Carmen when I say there is nothing ‘typical’ or ‘cliche’ about you.” Luke said.

Carmen rolled her eyes. 

“So you have no plans, how do you feel about getting a home-cooked meal by an award winning chef?” Luke asked shutting down his computer.

“You have plans with Alex and Dani?” Carmen asked. A year after she joined the firm, Luke introduced Carmen to his two best friends. 

“Yes, I’m getting ready to head out now.” Luke said  stowing his laptop in his computer bag.

“Sounds like fun.”

Luke locked his office before he and Carmen left for Alex and Dani’s apartment.

About thirty minutes later, the two lawyers stood outside the door. Shortly after Luke knocked, the door swung open.

“You’re late.” Dani said. She raised one of her dark eyebrows.

“I’m sorry. I got caught up at work.” Luke explained.

“You always get caught up at work.” Dani said. “It would be nice, you know if you called and informed us of your late arrival.” Noticing Carmen, Dani turned her focus to the younger woman. “Carmen it’s nice to see you again.”

“Thanks.” Carmen said. 

“Are you going to let us in?” Luke asked.

“Yeah, yeah. Come on in you two.” Dani said. “Luke put Carmen’s jacket up. I’m going to see how Alex is coming along with the food.”

Luke took Carmen’s jacket and hung it in the coat closet. While he did that, Carmen looked around the apartment. When she met the couple before, it was at Alex’s restaurant. This was her first time visiting Alex and Dani’s place. She stopped when she came across a photo sitting on the sofa table. It was one of Dani and Alex from, what Carmen guessed, was a couple years ago. Dani’s dark wavy hair fell loosely around her shoulders framing her pale face. Her head was on Alex’s shoulder. Alex had his arm wrapped around Dani’s waist. Both were smiling. 

Noticing Carmen standing still and seemingly lost in thought, Luke walked up beside her. “Penny for your thoughts?”

Carmen laughed, “My thoughts are worth more than that Counselor.” 

Dani came back into the room with glasses of water. She handed one to each of her guests. “Alex said dinner will be ready in a few. Have a seat somewhere.”

“Any idea what we’re having?” Luke asked as he sat in a plush armchair.

“It’s a new recipe he’s trying for the restaurant. I know he’s cooking some type of lamb dish. But you know how he is when he gets in the zone. He answers questions with grunts. I usually try to stay out of the kitchen.” Dani said.

“That’s not how it goes,” Luke said. “You are restricted from the kitchen when Alex is cooking.” Luke laughed.

“Which is why I try to stay out of it. He never seems to want my help.” Dani mock pouted.

Carmen laughed at the grown woman sitting across from her. “Where’s your son?” Carmen asked. Luke recently showed her a picture of his friend’s one-year-old son. 

“He’s down for the night.” Dani said. “Had someone arrived on time, you might have had a chance to see him before I put him to bed.”

“I’ve already apologized for being late.” Luke said. “How many times do I have to say I’m sorry.”

“You act like he’s never late for anything.” Alex said walking into the room.

“That’s my point, babe. He’s late for everything.” Dani said.

“That’s weird. He’s always meticulously early for anything dealing with work.” Carmen supplied. 

“Don’t give away my secrets, Carmen. You know next time, I’m not inviting you.”

“Don’t worry about him, Carmen. If you promise to be on time, we’ll have you over more often, and without your boss to boot.” Dani said.

“Thanks Dani.” Carmen appreciated her mentor and his friends. Despite the fact that they worked together, and that he was her superior, somehow Luke had become family.

“And now you’re turning on me too? I’m hurt!” Luke said feigning disgust.

Carmen, Dani and Alex laughed at his lackluster performance. 

“I need to go get the food. Everything is pretty much done, so you all can have a seat at the table.” Alex said.

Dani, Carmen and Luke sat down at the table and waited for the food. When everything was laid out on the table, Alex sat down.

“Luke, did Dani tell you about her new job offer?” Alex said as they began to eat.

“It’s not exactly a job offer, it’s more like an invitation.” Dani said.

“No, she did not. What’s going on Dani? I thought you enjoyed working for the Clinton Foundation.” Luke said.

Dani worked as a Development Officer at the Clinton Foundation. She was responsible for helping with the annual giving campaign. “I love working at the Clinton Foundation. I get to help determine the strategy of giving the foundation takes when it comes to education. The invitation Alex mentioned came out of the blue. I wasn’t looking for a job.”

“That’s sounds exciting, though. Having someone randomly contact you for a job.” Carmen said.

“So, what’s the invitation then.” Luke asked.

“Somehow, Jade—the singer—got my name. She called and asked if I’d like to help her develop a project. She and another recording artist are building a philanthropic foundation and she wants my input. “ Dani explained.

“Wow, that’s a great opportunity.” Carmen said.

“I know. The only thing is, I think it’s going to end up taking a lot of my time. I’m not going to quit my job in order to do it though.”

“So you are going to do it?” Luke asked.

“I think so. Alex and I have talked about it.” Dani said looking at her husband.

“You should do it Dani. Jade hasn’t asked you to work full-time on the project and you’ve been saying you want to do something like this for the past couple of years now.” Alex encouraged.

“If my opinion counts for anything, I think you should do it.” Carmen said. Luke nodded his head in agreement. 

The dinner conversation shifted from work-related opportunities to something more casual. They discussed everything from what was on each person’s “to-read list” to college sports. After dinner, they moved from the dining room back to the living room where they sat and started up a new conversation.

“You haven’t told us how Iceland went.” Alex said to Luke.

“Iceland was fine. I really didn’t get to see much of it though, work.” Luke said.

“Do you get to travel at all?” Dani asked Carmen.

“Not really. I’ve had to drive to New Jersey before,” Carmen said sending Luke a pointed look, “but never to anywhere overseas.”

“I see.” Dani said. “So overall your trip was uneventful?” 

“For the most part. The flight home was somewhat interesting. It’s strange how life works and the way it can throw you a curveball.” Luke said.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Dani asked.

“Well, the person I shared a row with on the flight back was Cassie Mitchell. You remember her from college, right Dani?” Luke said.

“Vaguely. The three of us had a class together, right.” Dani said racking her brain trying to remember the person Luke mentioned.

“Yes. Come on Dani you have to remember her. The three of us plotted to make sure our row was safe from the old guy who smoked.”

“The ‘old guy who smoked?’” Carmen asked. “I’m assuming there’s a story there.”

“With those two, there is always a story.” Alex supplied. 

Dani continued to look lost. While she remembered the fact that they shared a class, a face was not popping up in her memory to go with the name.

“Dani, it was a crisis communication class. The three of us sat at one table and there was always an extra chair…” Luke said trying to jog Dani’s memory.

“And for some reason that guy, what was his name?” Dani said beginning to remember the specific instance to which Luke was referring.

“Frank, his name was Frank.” Luke said.

“Yeah, Frank felt the need to sit with us all the time.”

Alex looked at his wife and her best friend. Knowing how the two of them operated together, he could only guess how the rest of the story played out with a third accomplice. “What did you do?” He asked.

Luke smiled. “I didn’t do anything; it was all Cassie. The three of us got tired of having him sit near us, so Cassie arrived early enough to switch the seats around.”

“She made sure there was never enough room for him to seat at our part of the table. In fact, he would have to sit on the other side of the room.” Dani laughed.

“You guys sound like you were nefarious.” Carmen said.

“We weren’t that bad.” Dani said. “What is she doing nowadays?” 

“I’m not sure exactly. We didn’t talk that much. She told me about her vacation in Iceland and then kind of clammed up.”

“What do you mean she clammed up?” Dani asked.

“She didn’t want to talk anymore. Her mood changed quickly. It was weird.” Luke said.

“Are you going to see her again?” Carmen asked.

“I don’t know. I didn’t get her contact information or anything. So we’ll see what happens.”

 

“Ha,” Dani said. “You, your go with the flow, what happens happens attitude usually lands you in a bad situation.” Dani said.  












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.