Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

*warning: sexual content and language* 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The sunlight streamed through the window and burned yellow into my skin. My body was wet with sweat and tears slid across my nose into the sheets. Another dream had haunted me. All at once, the grief hit me in the stomach over and over again. It was too much. Too much to bear. When they had taken him… the last thing keeping me on the earth.. my soul died. I slowly sat up, the sheet falling away from my bare skin. This time, not even my fingers would bring me what I needed. Staring at the sky through the bars, I tilt my head back, letting the tears fall into my hair. So much to fight for…so much had been lost. 

 

***

The summer breeze danced around her and she took of it into her lungs. How time had come and gone. 

“Xaen?” Turning, she met the eyes of the man she would wed in just a few days time. Cheeks grown warm, she spoke. 

“What is it?” 

“Do you want to go with me into the metropolis?” She smiled. 

“Sure.” He had cut his hair, the strands once covering her fingers no more. It seemed his rebellion had passed. He wore the grey uniform of the Corporation. 

“You will stay there all day you know.” 

“As long as I can watch you, I will be content.” He came down to where she stood and gently caressed her cheek. 

“When we return, I want you to stay with me.” Her eyes widened. 

“Gael I can’t. You know it’s prohibited.” 

“I will not touch you…much.” She pushed at him playfully. 

“You’re not touching me at all. You’re trying to get us in trouble.” A small grin slid across his lips. 

“It is not a crime, my wanting you.” 

“I-I know but still…” He leaned down to press his lips against her nose. 

“I will honor you Xaen. Have no fears.” She grabbed his hand. 

“What is there to fear when I’m with you?” His eyes met hers. She let go of him and reached up to smooth the stiff collar around his neck.

“Shall we go?” 

“I’ll be waiting. Go ahead and change.” She smiled as he leaned down to kiss her bare shoulder. Without another word, he left her. Watching him contently, she bit her lip. If living in a world full of regulations meant she could enjoy being with him then she would. She went into her abode and changed into something that covered her completely.

“Mother, Gael is taking me with him to the Corporation.” She said, coming into the kitchen. Her mother nodded after looking her over. 

“Acceptable. Do mind your manners and behave Xaen.” She remained still as her mother quickly braided her hair. 

“I will.” 

“I will see you when you return.” 

“Yes Mother.” Kissing her cheek, she came to meet him. He placed a helmet on her head. 

“Hold on tight to me Xaen.” She nodded. She wrapped her arms around his waist tightly as they got on his cylis. Without another second, they rushed forward, nothing remaining but the trail of light behind them. 

***

A sea of grey surrounded her and had she not been walking beside him, she would not have been able to tell a difference. Here, no physical touch was allowed. Here, you obeyed the regulatory system. She glanced up at him as they drew nearer. Even his expression had changed. Neutral and cold, emotionless. How she ached to make the warmth come back to him. They entered through the glass doors and were instantly met by a woman. Her hair was tightly pulled into a bun, grey and scarlet covered her body. 

“Identify yourself.” 

“09-10347.” Gael replied, voice flat. 

“Identification verified.” She looked at her. 

“Identify yourself.” She grew still for she didn’t have a number to report. 

“She will be listed underneath my code.” He interjected, back straight. 

“Is she kin?” 

“We will be wed.” 

“Change noted. Welcome to the Txeis Corporation.” The smile on her face looked like it hurt and soon the woman returned to her desk. 

“Let’s go.” She followed suit behind him. Lights scanned several persons as they passed, large bright glass windows to each side. Soon, they came into a room, the persons all wearing grey. He turned to her, taking her by surprise. 

“You may sit in the adjacent room. There, you will have access to view our activities. If I finish early, we can leave.” She nodded. 

“I will wait for you until then.” A shadow of a smile breezed across his face before he turned to face the other young men and women. Clutching her fingers together, she left them and sat in the room across from him.

*** 

 

“Are you Gael’s betrothed?” There was another girl who sat not too far away. 

“Yes.”

“You seem to be new. Is this your first time here?” She swallowed. 

“Yes.” 

“I see. My husband is there, right next to the wall.” She pointed. The man was talking to another man, his back turned. 

“Why did he join Txeis?” She asked, eyes searching for Gael. 

“The pay is what we need. It’s getting harder these days without it.” 

“Ah,”

“Many people are moving into the metropolises and leaving the country behind. It’s all for the better I suppose.” She remained quiet. 

“Gael does not talk much but he does a outstanding job here.” 

“Is that so?”

“Yes. So young but already the higher ups are talking about promoting him.” She looked at the woman. 

“Promote him?”

“When he turns 18 years old, I heard they want him to start working immediately. He’s been trained medically for quite a while.” 

“You are well read on him.” 

“I meant no disrespect. He is hard not to notice. Everyone talks about him.” There, against the wall he stood, hands in his pockets. He observed and talked little. 

“I know that he will do great things for our world.” The woman spoke before she grew quiet. Glancing at her, she smiled. Indeed, she believed the same. 

***

“Xaen?” Opening her eyes, she looked up to find Gael crouched beside her, hand on her waist. Night surrounded the building like a blanket and yet it had remained so bright and clear inside. As if day had never ended.  

“…How was your training?”

“It went well.” 

“Good.” He smiled at her and pressed his forehead against her shoulder. 

“I wonder just how long you’ve been waiting.” 

“Don’t worry about it.” He sighed. 

“It’s been a while since I’ve come.”

“Why now decide to come back?” 

“You.” She lifted up some. 

“Me?”

“You are the motivation behind my return.” She lifted a hand and placed it on his cheek. 

“Gael…” He gently stood up and tugged on her hand. 

“Let’s get you home. It’s late.” Yawning, she got up. They came back down the hall, down the stairs and past the now empty desk. They spoke not a word as they left through the glass doors. Standing in front of his cylis, she lifted the helmet to place it on her head. 

“Xaen,” 

“Yes?” He leaned down and kissed her, making her grow stiff. 

“Thank you for coming with me.” She licked her lips and smiled at him. 

“It’s nothing.” He placed his helmet on and once she was secure, he took off, speeding through the night. 

***

My arms came to enclose around me. That was the beginning of it all. Now, I understood why he rebelled so much against them. Even then, he sensed something wasn’t right. No authority should have been greater than that of the Creator’s. No one should have been allowed to create such a repressive world. From then on, Gael was seen less and less as he spent his time at Txeis. For a moment yet, we still had peace. We still had a taste of the old life… the old way. For a moment, I could love him without any inhibition.

 

*** 

 

 

The veil was placed on her head by her mother, the sides hanging down to the floor. It caressed her hair and face and it smelled sweet. Golden bracelets slid up her wrists and triceps. Gold flecks were pressed into skin fragranced of orchid and dahlia. For hours, she had soaked in the water while other women in her village had re twisted her dreadlocks and rubbed sweet oils into the strands. When she had gotten out, hands wrapped a thin silver chain around her hips, small bells attached. Tradition had it that a bride who wore the family heirloom would be fruitful and have increased fertility. Her mother before her had worn one and her mother before her. Handmade and custom to the woman of Zor, love and longevity prospered. A sheer garment covered her skin. Her first layer. From there, it was a long exhaustive process until finally she was fully clothed. 

“You’re ready.” Her mother stood back, tears in her eyes. 

“You look beautiful.” Tears welled in her eyes and she hugged her mother tightly. 

“Mother…” 

“Don’t be afraid my darling.” She sniffed and stood taller. 

“I an a daughter of Zor. We do not fear.” Her mother caressed her cheek. 

“That’s my girl. Are you ready to meet your husband?” Her heart pounded inside her chest but she looked forward with a strong gaze. 

“Yes.” 

“Let’s greet them all.” Bare feet stepped forward, toes met the ground. Her hair fell down her back like the waves of the sea and her fingers tightly gripped her mother’s. Upon coming into the gathering, she spotted Gael, the garment of his heritage upon his body. His hair had been pulled up into a bun, a small jade pin securing it through a black holder. He wore a long red fitted jacket, a large golden emblem embroidered on the sides. A rectangular belt around his waist enclosed the jacket shut. Pants were seen underneath and a sheer black hat covered his head. She gripped her mother’s fingers. How quickly her breath had been taken. He looked so handsome. 

“The bride enters!” She held her breath as all eyes turned to her. At the sight of her, his mouth parted and his eyes grew wide. Beside him stood his father and he stepped forward to take her hand from her mother’s. Placing a kiss on her forehead, his father led her closer to him. She felt emotion rise and suddenly, it became hard to speak. Her throat was so tight she didn’t think she could. 

“Receive your bride Gael.” His father spoke strongly, his voice carrying upon the wind. He bowed lowly before her. Lifting, he took her hand, pulling her away from his father. She gripped his fingers, eyes lost within his gaze. 

“Before God, we witness the union of Xaen Zor and Choi Gael. The love the two of them have discovered will surely last many lifetimes. Xaen is a woman who is more than worthy of being Choi. She’s strong and yet has an undeniable femininity about her. Not only is her beauty pure and genuine but she keeps Gael on his toes,” Laughter sounded in the crowd. 

“My son has become a better man because of her. Their union shall be and will be blessed by God. I am honored to call her daughter and I know that she will live a long happy life with Gael.” Tears threatened to spill but she tried to keep it together. 

“From the first moment I met Gael as a little boy, I knew that he would suit Xaen. Though he was timid and quiet, he had such a solidity about him even then. Someone who possessed the qualities to provide and give his all for the ones he loved. It seems I was correct.” Her mother looked at them and smiled, cheeks wet with tears. 

“Now we shall provide the couple a few words. Gael, “ His voice didn’t waver but his hand trembled slightly. 

“When I reflect back on my expectation of this day, I never could have imagined that it would be quite like this. In all honesty, it took me a very long while before I accepted the fact that we were to wed. I felt as if Xaen had somehow robbed me of my future…of the life I wanted to create for myself. I didn’t realize how foolish I was. Though our journey has been challenging, I fell deeply and irrevocably in love with her. She means more to me than words can ever express and I intend to give her the life she so deserves. I will cherish her for as long as God sees fit to put breath in my lungs.” She took a breath and looked up at him, cheeks hot. 

“I fought you every step of the way. Sometimes, I hurt you with my words or with my actions. I didn’t want to accept that indeed I loved you. Since my heart decided on you, I had no choice but to appease it. I haven’t regretted it. You are my very best friend, one who has been with me in my worst and best times. Yet, you’ve never abandoned me. For that Gael, I give you my life. Should you so desire it, my body, heart and soul I too give willingly to you. I ask only that your love never dies. May it continually be a burning flame, hot and never ending.” He lifted her hand to press it against his lips.  

“Now you shall finalize your union with a kiss.” She sucked in a breath as his hands came to cradle her face in his palms. She reached up to wrap her fingers around his wrists. She stood on her tip toes as he leaned down to kiss her. She felt the earth shift underneath her feet as his lips met hers. His kiss shook her very soul. Applause was deafening but somehow, all she could hear was the beating of her heart. Before she lost her balance, she pulled back from him, lips tingling. Blushing, she glanced up at him. His eyes radiated with happiness and overwhelming love. She smiled, teeth showing. He sighed against the top of her head and slid fingers through hers. 

***

Tears streamed down my cheeks. That night, we shared our first time together. I had never experienced anything so intimate, so transcendent. He loved not just my body but the essence that lived within me. I became living art when he made love to me. Each time a different more complex masterpiece. The music made only treasured by the divine.  A cry escaped my throat. I missed his scent, his breath. His heat. The way he had made my body sing. His vibrations shook my spirit to its core. 

 

***

Fire crackled, the glow from its light painting shadows. She inhaled as arms folded around her. The water crashed against the rocks and the moon was high. Clothes had been scattered, a moment after lips had eagerly kissed one another. Fingertips met his chest, skin smooth and hot to the touch. Her head spun, the warmth within melting her. 

“Xaen,” His voice was quiet. She lifted her eyes to his. 

“I want to see you.” She grew still and removed her hand from him. Taking a deep breath, she nodded. 

“You may remove it…” His hands slowly peeled the last layer of her wedding dress away, leaving only the sheer fabric against her skin. He inhaled sharply as his eyes drifted below her chin. Reaching out, he pressed his fingers against her breastbone, having slid past the thin collar. 

“You’re…so beautiful.” She turned her face away, cheeks seared. 

“Look at me…” He gently commanded, bringing her gaze back to his. 

“You, to me, are perfection.” 

“Gael…” He said not another word as he slowly slid the fabric down her shoulders. It wafted to the ground, the scent of dahlia surrounding her.  His fingers breezed down her arms down to her wrists. 

“Let’s become one.” She looked up at him, intensity radiating from his eyes. Pressing shaky hands against his chest, she nodded. 

“Come with me.” She led him by hand into their private place, deep in the woods. Once there, pants pooled around his feet. She inhaled shakily, suddenly feeling faint. The sight of him bare as the day he was born was nearly too much. A rushing pool collected between her thighs and at the sight of his desire so plain and open, it overflowed. He let her look, gently taking her hand. 

“My body expresses what my words cannot.” He spoke softly, pressing his lips against her skin. 

“As does mine.” She took his other hand, placing it upon her breast. Desire dwelled so deep within his depths she could taste it. 

“Touch me…please.” Lifting his hand from her breast, he brushed her bottom lip with his thumb. Their eyes met only briefly before he kissed her. She lifted her arms and wrapped them around his neck. A low rumble came into her mouth and his fingers slid down her waist only stopping when the sound of bells cut through the night. She pulled back, gasping for air. Slowly, he pressed her back against the pallet. Pulling back just enough, he took her in completely. Her chest rose and fell, her wrists pressed against the cushions. His fingers brushed the bells, the chime sweet. Further he went until he met the curls of her triangle. Her breath caught in her throat. He pressed his body against hers and inhaled the scent of her skin and hair. 

“You will be a death I will welcome.” He whispered, fingers nearing a breast. 

“I want not to kill you but to bring you to life.” He hummed, lips finding hers once more. He gently squeezed her, holding her in the palm of his hand. The heat burned her but the mouth that found her melted her. Lips kissed her before gently taking her nipple into his mouth. She cried out, arching her back. Her entire body felt as if it had been set aflame. He suckled at her, making her squirm. He let go, nuzzling her before his tongue came forward to lick at her. She couldn’t contain the sound that escaped her belly.

“G-Gael…” She moaned, squeezing her eyes shut tightly. His mouth left her and continued its journey down past her ribcage and abdomen. Her body shook with the new sensation but how quickly she desired more. His forehead pressed against her hip, fingers gripping the flesh underneath him. Her heart beat against her chest as he slowly part her legs. 

“Gael…” He paused, glancing up at her. She couldn’t quite help the timidity that came over her.

“Will you allow me to dwell here?” He asked, pressing a kiss to her thigh. Biting her lips, she reached up to pull the jade pin free, letting his hair cascade to his neck. Caressing his cheek, she slowly nodded. She sucked in a breath but slowly, she relaxed a bit. He intertwined their fingers and kissed her skin. She allowed him to part her legs and at the sight, his fingers gripped hers tighter. It seemed as if he looked at her very soul, her most private and intimate place now for him to see. 

“You’re so beautiful baby.” She flushed, turning her face into the cushion. The heat of his mouth grew closer and closer to where she ached most, tiny adorning kisses to her inner thigh. 

“Xaen, look at me.” She bit her lips before turning her eyes downward. 

“May I taste you?” Her inhale was unsteady, heat pulsing through her body. The way he looked at her…all of it making her dizzy. 

“…y-yes.” She whispered softly. He leaned forward and kissed the coarse curls of her triangle. His finger came to take a part of her and bring it to his lips. She watched in awe as he nearly crumbled, the groan that came from his belly enough to rustle her spirit. His lips came to suckle the small berry that no longer wanted to hide. Sensation flooded her and she cried out, fingers sliding into his hair. Pleasure unlike anything she’d experienced before hit her in waves. 

“G-G-Gael…” He hummed and teased it a bit more, making her sob. Tears welled up in the corners of her eyes and she didn’t think she could contain it. Just when it felt like she was going to explode, he pulled away. Panting, she pressed her face into the cushion. His breath had grown heavy and he licked his lips before delving in once more. A finger came to tease her and soon hid within. She gripped the cushions beneath her head as he began to suckle her again. Her hips had developed a mind of its own, trying to draw him in deeper. A deep fire had stirred in her belly and soon it threatened to explode. She tried to prolong it but Gael was determined to make her release it. His ministrations increased until finally it burst free. She took flight on the clouds and arched her back as it overtook her. She gasped for air but only for a second before his lips claimed hers.

Slowly, he pulled his fingers out of her and slid up her body, her legs lifting to drape around his hips. She lifted up and hugged him, fingers gripping his back. He lifted her into his arms. Pulling away, she pressed her forehead against his. Neither one of them spoke a word. When her heart returned to normal, she pressed her face against his shoulder. The feel of him against her felt better than she could describe. She bit her lips, a smile coming to her. How he yearned for her. She could feel it, the hunger that lied beneath her. His fingers reached up and lifted a small handful of her dreads, bringing them to his nose. 

“Xaen…” 

“Yes?” 

“I love you.” He whispered against her temple, kissing her hairline. 

“I love you too.” He gripped her cheeks and leaned her back against the pallet. She looked up at him. 

“Gael.” 

“Xaen.” 

“Dwell within me.” He groaned softly and pressed against her, so close and yet so far away. She lifted her leg slightly, teasing him with her warmth. 

“Please don’t make me beg you. End this torture.” He pressed flush against her, his gaze taking in every movement on her face.

“So I shall.” He gripped her hips and slowly came into her. Pain flushed her face and he paused, only to have her shake her head. 

“N-no. Come.” He let go of her hips and wrapped his arms around her, holding her against him. He was slow and careful. Indeed she became as clay, molding him. He soon fell into her completely. 

“Fuck…” He cursed, gripping her tightly. He fisted the cushion beneath her, biting his lips. 

“G-Gael…” Shuddering against her, he relaxed. She inhaled, feeling him grow still. But without warning, he begun to thrust into her and she bit her lips in a moan. She cried out to him and he answered her with a kiss. He thrust deeper, fingers gripping her cheeks. The fire started to grow and intensify. The bells vibrated loudly, the sound of their lovemaking sweet and clear. He groaned against her, muscles growing tight. 

“G-G-Gael…” She clung to him as slowly, his hips slowed. Her breath decelerated and she opened her eyes to find his trained on her. She arched her back once more, eager to take more of him. He held her still, movement ceasing. Breathing almost calmly against her, his lips came to hover above hers. 

“I wish to dwell within you for eternity.” Her heart calmed and she blushed prettily. 

“I will allow it.” She replied softly, her fingers hidden in his hair. He sighed deeply as he inhaled her scent. How they had become one… He rested so deep within her that she had grown lost… not knowing where he began and she ended. 

“Shall I bring us to climax?” Fingers intertwined. She could only nod, words dried up on her tongue. Lips met without another word and slowly, he moved against her. Long deep strokes that made her toes curl and breath hitch. Just as swiftly, soon the breath left her lungs as he sharply came into her. She moaned his name, rewarded with more piercing thrusts. It seemed as if he touched her very core and she couldn’t control it anymore. The vibrations deep within him rocked her. Tears slid back into her hair.

“Please…Gael…please…” She begged, not caring that she sounded so needy. He groaned against her, fingers digging into her cheeks. The belt tangled in-between them, the bells releasing the song that lived in their hips. Intense and yet so exquisite, they trembled violently as a wet sharp rain doused her. 

“I…I…can’t….oh God I can’t…” Pressing lips against hers, he breathed one simple request. 

“Come for me Xaen…” She sobbed as it suddenly washed over her, consuming her. He followed her to euphoria with a groan, gripping her tight against him. Sweat dusted their flesh and the scent of their lovemaking mingled with the dahlia and orchid, intoxicating her. He buried his face into her hair as his body released, his breath deep. She pressed her fingers against his skin, lips kissing his shoulder.

After a while, the sweat dried and the only thing remained were limbs intertwined. The night had claimed them both in slumber and the stars above twinkled above them. 

***

Memories of it flickered as pictures behind my eyelids. Hugging my body close, tears fell. The happiness that was once so abundant was no more. Was it the cruelest thing to desire the life once held? I could still feel the heat that once lived in my cheeks, the lips of the man I once called husband as they smiled against my shoulder, the laughter from our darling son. My hands slid down to my womb. So many children that we had created… all to be destroyed. Grief covered me and I cried out loudly, agony deep within. I sobbed, feeling the pieces of my heart shatter into a million new pieces. I simply wanted the images to consume me until I traveled back… away from here. I wanted all of it back. 

 

***

 

The birds sweet melody drifted into her ears and sunlight streamed inside the tent. She stirred, slowly opening her eyes. She grew still as she felt an arm strewn lazily across her waist. Breath came in soft puffs against her shoulder and she turned around to view the face of the man she now called husband. Hair covered his eyes and his heart beat calmly against her fingertips. His leg still trapped her against him and she couldn’t help the smile that came to her lips. How childlike he was. How trusting he was. To allow her to touch him so freely. She pressed her forehead against his chest and inched closer to his body. His arm came to tighten around her and a deep content sigh came from above her. 

“Did I wake you?” She asked softly, glancing up as slowly, his eyes opened to look at her. 

“Not at all.” 

“You were sleeping so soundly…” A gentle smile came to his mouth and he lifted his hand to tangle his fingers within her hair. 

“How could I not? My beautiful wife is by my side.” Heat flushed her cheeks and she looked away. 

“Gael…” He let his hand fall and shimmied down until his face hid against her breasts. His arm circled her hips. 

“What are you thinking I wonder?” He asked, voice muffled. She bit her lip as her fingers slid into his hair. 

“…What happened last night…wasn’t a dream was it?” Lips smiled. 

“It was very real.” 

“I wasn’t sure anything that felt that good could be real.” He lifted his gaze and his smile grew deeper. 

“Our copulation was satisfactory?” She pushed at his shoulders, watching as he grinned. 

“Don’t taunt me.” 

“I dare not taunt you…” Pursing her lips, she pushed him away to stand. A throbbing soreness rested between her thighs, something her mother mentioned would happen. 

“In all seriousness,” She turned as he lifted, the furs sliding away from him. Even the sight of such took her breath. How greedy she found herself. Sore as she was, she couldn’t help the melted warmth that hit her womb as she set her eyes on what existed between his thighs. She quickly looked away. Arms came around her and pulled her against a solid warm chest. 

“I found it to be more than satisfactory.” She looked up at him to find that his cheeks were as warm and red as hers. But, his gaze was piercing. 

“I’m..glad.” Before she could say another word, he had leaned down to kiss her and with it, a burst of emotion washed over her. How intertwined she was with him…Something so simple… meant the world to her. 

“Would it be selfish to indulge in you this day?” He asked quietly against her mouth as he gripped her tightly. She was powerless to stop herself from that moment on. Tightening her fingers in his hair, she answered him with a kiss and soon found herself once again tasting Heaven. 

***

   When the morning sun was starting to meet the sky, they had risen. She had taken their clothes and bedding and washed them in the nearby stream. When she’d come back, they tidied up their tent giving the clothes and fabrics a chance to dry. Once clothed, they made the travel up to her family home. Only a bit aways, they came in sight fingers threaded together. At the sight, her mother who had been standing outside smiled. 

“Hello Gael. Xaen.” She blushed and found herself unable to speak but he spoke strongly, kindly. 

“Good morning Ms. Aoura.” 

“Have you fared well?” 

“Indeed.” She eyed her flushed face and smiled deeper. 

“Let’s get you two inside. Surely, you must be hungry.” 

“Thank you.” He led them inside. She found his sisters at the stove as they made breakfast. 

“Gael!” Finally, pink creeped into his cheeks as his mother came to them. 

“How have things been?” 

“We’ve not seen them for two days. How do you think they’ve been Yerin?” His father answered gruffly, eying how close he had pulled her against his side. 

“I still must ask. He is my baby after all!” 

“Who stands before you is not a child.” His fingers tightened against her hip. 

“Father,”

“I take it you two have consummated.” 

“Garuyn, stop embarrassing the poor boy. Can you not tell they have consummated by the way they touch?” Chided by his grandmother, he showed a smile. 

“I want not to embarrass him. I want to hear him say it as a man.” Back stiff, he swallowed and looked at him straight on. 

“Yes. We have consummated our union.” 

“Good. Very good.” 

“Come and sit you two. Please.” Her mother said gently as she placed plates onto the table. She pulled him away from his father’s intense gaze and slowly they sat. She grimaced, an action not unnoticed by her mother. 

“Xaen, eat. I will braid your hair.” She nodded and glanced at Gael who held out a spoon. Smiling, she took the spoon into her mouth and sighed as the food it held warmed her heart. Soon, the nourishing touch of her mother’s fingers in her hair soothed her. 

“Xaen,” She ate but listened as her mother continued quietly. 

“When you return, I will give you some salt to put in your bath. Soak in it for a while. It should help with the tenderness.” The language of her people sounded so sweet. 

“…You can tell?” 

“The pain on your face is clear.” 

“He hasn’t hurt me…” 

“On the contrary, he’s expressed what only lies within his heart and spirit.” She peeked at him as he ate and paused her spoon. 

“Mother…” 

“Yes darling?” 

“I have found myself filled with greed. How can I want so much of him so quickly? I do not understand.” Her mother’s fingers stopped braiding and pulled her back against her. 

“That my love is but a normal reaction. It’s healthy to want of your husband. Do you think it abnormal?” 

“I find I am not satisfied until I have completely exhausted myself…Always the yearning persists. I wonder if consummating was a wise thing.” Her mother laughed against her. 

“Now you know why we kept you two separated. What exists between you now is a very powerful force. It is a higher form of your love expressed.” Her fingers began to braid again. 

“Rest my daughter. Rest.” She smiled as she began to eat again and soon finished. As her mother finished braiding her hair, she leaned back against her and she embraced her. 

“Gael, we are preparing a home for you.” They looked at his uncle who had come to sit beside his father. 

“We must hurry. We only have five days to finish it.” His father spoke, crossing his arms. 

“Father…Uncle…I do not want you to be responsible for something that falls upon me.” 

“Oh?” His uncle looked his way, eyebrow lifted. 

“It is my duty to build a dwelling for my wife. No one else should interfere.”

“I see.” 

“How will you fund this abode?” His father asked, eyes on him. 

“Soon, I will start research at the Corporation. The monetary proceeds I receive should be enough.”

“Will you be living in the metropolis?” 

“That is something Xaen and I haven’t discussed.” 

“When the time is right you will. I know you two will make the right decision.” 

“I’m proud of him, your husband. How mature he is for such a young man.” Her father commented with a gentle smile. 

“Indeed.”  

***

 

Everything had been simple then. I watched my husband as he labored, building a home for the two of us. He worked so hard to ensure that it pleased me. And when it was finished, I couldn’t be more proud of him. He had honored me yet again. The days had turned into a month and it was then that I realized that I was with child. 

 

***

 

The breeze hit her face as she suddenly emptied her stomach, barely making it outside. Gripping the grass, she gasped for air, the bitter taste in her mouth making her cringe. What was this? Surely, she couldn’t be sick…Just when she thought she was done, she heaved again and this time it was worse than before. She groaned and clenched her eyes shut. This horrible feeling…She had to go see her mother. She lifted and washed her mouth out before heading out. 

Upon view of her mother, she ran until she hugged her. 

“Xaen! What…what are you doing here?” Her mother exclaimed in surprise. 

“Mama…I have to ask a question…” 

“S-sure.” 

“Let’s go inside.” 

***

“I haven’t bled for three weeks Mama. And not too long ago I vomited twice.” Her mother sat still and for the longest time just looked at her. Her eyes filled with tears and finally she spoke. 

“My child…you know not what this means?” 

“No…”

“You are with child.” 

“…with child…”

“Yes. A most beautiful creation of you and Gael.” She felt happiness wash over her and gripped her dress. 

“I must tell him.”

“When you feel you are ready.” 

***

That night when he’d come back from the Corporation, I decided to tell him. I’d been scared…why I could not assess. Surely, a child would bring such joy to him. Even so, I trembled as I told him. 

 

***

 

“Gael…I have something to share with you.”

“What may it be?”

“I…I’m…I’m with child.” For a moment he stood still and didn’t speak. Her heart beat up into her ears as she waited for him to respond. 

“S-say something…anything…” She pleaded, gripping her hands together. But they were forced apart as he crossed the room and pulled her to him in a tight hug. She felt wetness against her shoulder and lips press against the skin. 

“Words are not enough to express how happy I feel…” She lifted her arms to hug him tight. 

“Gael…”

“I must work harder now.” He said, voice full of tears as he pulled away. 

“You already work yourself too hard.” 

“You’re worth it. And now…in a few months time…we shall welcome a child.” She blushed prettily and nodded. 

“Xaen…look at me baby.” She lifted her eyes. 

“I will do what I must to provide for you. Both of you.” Joyous tears slid down her cheeks and she hugged him. 

“I know you will.” 

*** 

On the eve of his seventeenth birthday, everything changed. It was from that moment that nothing but agony awaited me. Everything would be ripped from us.

 

***

 

“Identify yourself.” 

“07-79329.”

“Identity confirmed. Welcome to the Corporation.” Grey and scarlet covered her body and she somehow managed to remain composed even though she was nervous. Everything had moved so fast and now she was standing in the lobby of one of the most prestigious institutions the world had ever seen. 

“Xaen.” Turning, she found Gael standing next to a man. Swallowing, she went towards them. 

“My, you’re just as beautiful as Choi tells me.” She felt a blush come to her face and bowed her head. 

“Thank you.”

“Please introduce yourself.” She looked up and stood straighter. 

“I am Xaen Choi. I came to visit Gael.” 

“Ah, have you witnessed him conducting research?” 

“Yes.” 

“What are your impressions?” 

“His ability to recognize healthy and defective cells is almost abnormal.” 

“My, what high praises! What say you Gael?” He smiled some, the action striking against the otherwise sea of emotionlessness. 

“My wife is my biggest supporter. For that I am most grateful.” 

“Who sir might you be?” She asked, pausing as he took her hand in his. 

“I am Entui Malos, CEO and Chairman of Txeis Corporation.” She grew still and brought her eyes to Gael. 

“Your husband is quite gifted Xaen. I wanted to meet him personally as news of him spread through the ranks. And now, I’ve asked him to introduce me to you.” She glanced back at the man. 

“Have you need of me?” 

“Gael tells me you too are very gifted. His regard and opinion of you are high. Tell me, if you had a choice to make an impact in this world… would you?” She was still for a moment but finally she answered. 

“I would.”

“Txeis is more than just pharmaceuticals. Txeis is about global change and improvement. Should you accept, I’d like to enter you into a training program.”

“Sir…I can’t… I’m not-”

“Please consider Xaen. You know not what you are capable of until you apply yourself. I believe with the two of you… as well as with more young people on board… we can positively influence the world.” She took a shaky breath. 

“Please let me think about it.”

“Take as much time as you need.” 

***

I decided to take up the challenge. The lush green, clear skies and stars faded behind us as did the warmth and tenderness of my mother’s embrace. Gael and I left our old life behind and set our sights on the metropolis. There, together we surely could do wonderful things for the greater good. Surely, I would have a chance to live in my own shadow. 

 

“Xaen. It’s time for your journaling.” The tears had long since dried and I pulled myself to my feet. Within the empty pages, perhaps I could find solace in mind. Perhaps, with the ink, I would make myself feel whole again too. 






Chapter End Notes:

...

D&L <3 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.