Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“How many times do I have to tell you to keep that shit off my floor?” The man yelled.

He came at the child like a bat out of hell cranking his fist back to make contact with the girls face. Launching toward her he grabbed her hair and arm shoving her face toward the cluster of toys lying on the floor.

“I’m sorry! I just went to get a drink I promise I will pick it up!” The girl sobbed as she felt the bones in her arm begin to give. It was happening again, she was being punished.

Throwing the girl toward the wall the man made his way toward a cowering boy. His grey eyes became wide as the tears began to come in large drops down his almond colored face.

The girl rubbed the spot below her black hair smearing blood across her forehead. Pushing herself up from the crème carpet she held her dangling arm and ran toward the frightened boy.

“No I was the only one playing with the toys, he was napping I swear,” the girl bellowed as she planted herself in front of the boy becoming his shield. Her eyes lit up with defiance even as he lips quivered in fear.

It wasn’t supposed to be this way. Being adopted was supposed to be a happy ending not the beginning of a never ending night mare. But ever since the services lady lessened her visits to check on them it’s only gotten worse. First the yelling came, throwing objects, until finally the beating began and they haven’t stopped.

“Did I ask your ass anything? Get back now!” He continued to approach and she knew what the result will be, more hospital visits, more lies, and more pain.

The man grabbed the buckle of his belt and began to advance on the small girl and boy while releasing the belt from around his waist. Folding it in half he reared his arm back to strike them both.

The girl hugged the boy wrapping her body around his shaking form as much as possible. When the first blow was delivered she cleared her mind from the screams and grunts around her and went to the place in her mind where no one could hurt her or her new found friend.

~~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~

Jerking her body from the bed she awoke in a cold sweat. She hated having those dreams, nothing like a nice walk down memory lane to get your evening off to a great start.

Throwing the covers from her bed Serenity swung her legs over the side and stood to give her body a deep stretch. Walking toward the bathroom she focused on the knob and water began to flow. Sometimes her strange gifts came in handy Serenity thought while grabbing her toothbrush and placing toothpaste on the brush.

Serenity had always been different or gifted if you let her younger brother tell it. Controlling water was as natural, as essential to her as breathing. On her twenty first birthday her “gifts” began to be more free willed, the tear shaped birthmark on her right hip began to burn whenever there was danger around or her powers decided to protect her of their own free will.   . Emotions became dangerous and certain actions could whip out a playground, which was why she decided years ago to use her control over water fleetingly. Home was the only place she let her energy control the water around her, the only safe place to be herself.

Geez like she needed anymore loving memories today. Today was a big day, Serenity had been tracking down this piece of shit drug lord for the last two years and she finally felt she was coming close to the lead she needed to send his ass away on a nice long vacation, give or take fifty years. Spitting out the toothpaste and rinsing her mouth she made her way out of the bathroom to her mahogany desk.

Turning on the apple lab top she pulled the key hanging around her neck took the tip off and inserted the adapter into the computer. Pulling up the profile she was looking for she began to scroll. Scott Gores head of the top shrimping and fishing company here in New Orleans, Rio and Los Angeles, even after Katrina graced us with her presence his company still never went top side here. I guess that’s what you get when you’re also head of the world larges human trafficking ring with just a dash of cocaine pushing and weapon smuggling on the side.

Moving to Louisiana was actually a brilliant idea because who could blame the man who was always in the public eye, giving to charities, and had a perfect alibi for every disappearance, death, and overdose. After Living exclusively in Rio for the last 8 years he decided it was getting a bit boring having the U.S detective services always on his back about women going missing from his grand seasonal parties. He moved to New Orleans about two years ago and began putting money into charities and benefits for the rebuilding of New Orleans. The trafficking in Rio continued and since the Rio police was either employed by Scott or scared shitless there was not much help or leads for the U.S detectives to go off of.

So the cases were at a standstill until Serenity was called in. Being an undercover C.I.A agent has its benefits and since blending in and finding out what was needed is her specialty she was put on the case. All that’s left is finding proof and getting it to the United States so that this bastard and his family can go down for the years of crimes they have committed.

Serenity walked away from the lab top closing it with a bit more force than nessecery. Walking to her shower she stripped off her sleeping t-shirt and panties. Slipping under the spraying shower head she let the hot water flow over her body, a nice soothing shower was exactly what she needed to cleanse her soul, if only for a moment.

Hearing her phone ring she gave a loud groan. “Phone on,” she called to the automated house system.

“Were getting hot and heavy already I see, room for another love?” came a slight Scottish drawl over the ceiling intercoms.

“Oh please, not without a proper dinner cowboy, how cheap do u think I am,” Serenity replied sounding slightly flirtatious with her Cajun accent.

“Well I do have that rainy day fund if the offer stands.”

Turning the water off with a flick of her slender Serenity reached for a towel too dry off with wrapping it around her as she stepped out the shower.

“Better luck next time cowboy,” she chuckled. “So what’s on the menu for me tonight Red?”

“Oh you’re going to love me for this one. I have you set up on the invite list for a nice welcoming party in the big apple. Apparently papa Scott is bringing his son in on the New Orleans side of business, only the company is growing to that new little 16 story building that we have been monitoring. Now I’m not quite sure what that means for the Rio side of the company since both of the head honchos are now in different locations but I’m hacking everything that he owns with a server in order to find out why the big move. I sent the jet number and time of takeoff to your blackberry so make sure you check them.”

Pulling on jeans, a black long sleeve shirt, and boot Serenity reached for her blackberry. “Hmm four hours until take off  huh, I think I can make that work.” Going to her closet she went to the back reaching near the last floor board to the right and placed her finger over the invisible ID scanner. After hearing a click she lifted the compartment that opened and pulled out a small travel bag and backpack. Closing the compartment she reached inside the backpack giving all her favorite boys a complete weapons check, once she was satisfied with the cloths and weapons she left the closet.

“Red, now tell me my favorite tech genius didn’t forget to send me any information on the son.”

“Flattery will get you everywhere my lady, I have already sent the full file to you blackberry including the police’s files even though they are inconclusive.”

“You’re an angle doll,” she replied.

Going to the lab top Serenity pulled out the key and replaced it around her neck. Grabbing her bag, keys and leather jacket she headed to the garage. 

“I will contact you after I read over the file, until then toddles.”

“Your wish is my command,” Red answered with a bit of a chuckle.

“Phone off.”  With her with her jacket on and backpack on her back she placed the overnight bag on the back of the all black Ducati motorcycle securing it with the travel straps. Placing the full faced helmet on her head she sat on the bike and started it up.

“Garage open.” Pushing off she accelerated into the afternoon sun.

 “Garage closed.” This was going to be the make it or break it for her case. Scott thought he knew what was after him, but hell hath have no wrath like a pissed of ex abused foster kid turned C.I.A agent.

~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~*~~~~~~

Shit!

She was going to get herself killed one of these days and then it would be his ass. Standing across the street from her house the stranger looked like any other friendly neighbor walking his dog, if only they knew.

Checking his phone he looked at the encrypted files that were being hacked and sent to his phone from her blackberry server.

A smirk came over his face as he opened the file. She thought she was the only one with tricks, but when trying to keep tabs on her you have to learn a few things along the way “So our little nymph is about to play with fire I see.”

What do you propose we do?

Looking into the dogs silver eyes, if a 4 ½ foot wolf could be called a dog, he replied to his question. “Looks like we’re headed to a party in New York buddy, fasten your seatbelts because I have a feeling this will be a bumpy ride.”

I feared you would say that, Eric do you really think it’s best to reveal ourselves to her this soon in her time.

Eric sighed, he wished there was more time or a way to break it delicately to her but in all truths he feared there was no other way and time was fast running out for them.

“No but our choice of time was robbed from us years ago. It’s her 26th year and it’s time for the prophecy to come to pass if this planet will have any chance of survival.

Understood I will return home and put the plan in motion. I assume you will be protecting her this trip?

“You assume correct my friend.”

 strength be with you.

“Same to you my brother, I will be in contact.” Releasing the leash he allowed the wolf to walk away into the darkness of the New Orleans streets.

Looking to the sky he imagined his spirit animal taking over, launching into the air he spread the wings of the large eagle following in the direction that Serenity took. 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.