Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Hurry up Roto! Bundled up in her big winter coat, earmuffs on, Rae looked up at him as he came to lay a hand on her big gorgeous hair. Smiling, he eyed his father who stood on the engawa, a thick kimono adorned his body. He felt the smallest shred of excitement thrum through him.

“Why don’t you go inside with him and warm up?” 

“‘kay.” Nose red as Rudolph, she lifted on her tip toes for a kiss. He pecked her sweetly before watching her head inside, sliding the shoji shut. Sliding hands into his pockets, he lifted his eyes to the dark night sky, snow falling quietly from above. The air was clear and crystal, the stars twinkling as always. The next few weeks were some of the longest what with an abrupt move to another apartment. It had been so long since he’d visited the grounds. Since they’d visited together. He could feel his grandmother’s warmth instantly upon setting eyes on the house. Baa-chan….we’re home. Sighing heavily, he stepped up onto the engawa, soon melting into the heat of the hearth.

***

Off in the dimly lit room, she stood a blanket around her. An old kamado faced her and upon glancing at it, she smiled. Not too far away were her love and father in law. Shou was adamant about them staying with him for the last remaining weeks until the new year and she was glad that they both acquiesced. Being in his grandmother’s home, she felt a sense of peace and calm while everything around her bust apart at the seams. Only this place could have such an effect. Sighing, she came to stand in front of the shoji, the winter air crisp and chilling. The sound of shoji opening drew her attention away from her thoughts. 

“Rae, why are you still up?” Turning, she found Roto in cozy pajamas, an off grey haori covering him.

“I don’t know…I just can’t sleep…” Arms came around her and lips pressed against her jaw. 

“Want me to tuck you in?” Smiling softly, she looked up at him, lifting her finger to poke his forehead. 

“You bein funny and Ion appreciate it.” He chuckled. 

“I’m not being funny. I mean it.”

“Okay then…fine. Maybe then I go to sleep.” He led her to a plush futon, blankets and pillows ready to be attacked. Sighing, she fell on top of said pillows and curled up into a ball. 

“What’s on your mind babe?” He asked, coming to sit beside her. 

“Are you feeling okay? I mean… I know we just suddenly came to Nara.”

“Yeah! I’m excited… it’s been so long since I’ve been here.” 

“Yeah I know. It’s good for you to be home again.” She blushed and nodded. He bit his lip and came close enough to sit in front of her. She lifted fingers to a small emblem that rested right below his shoulder. 

“This is new. What’s this?” Smiling softly, he pressed her hand flat against it. 

“It’s my family crest.”

“Whoa…” 

“In Japanese, we call it mon.” She glanced at the other one on his other shoulder. 

“It looks like a bird…” 

“Mm. There are three cranes.” 

“Oh…”

“Do you know what the crane means?” She shook her head, her cute expression of cluelessness making him chuckle again. 

“Cranes are fabled to live a thousand years. With three, it is to say that my family will live on forever so to speak. Luck, happiness, good fortune… all of these things also apply.” 

“Cool.” He pulled her to lay down beside him. 

“I’m tired of talking about all of this.” Looking up into his eyes, she felt warm as he leaned down to kiss her nose. 

“Want me to sing you a lullaby?” His voice was quiet and warm and she melted instantly. 

“Mmhm…” Her eyes closed as he softly began to sing, lips kissing her temple. His mellifluous voice soothed her, calm and comforting. His fingers lovingly caressed her hair, in a way that reminded her of pure love. Feeling herself drift to sleep, she felt one last kiss reach her lips. 

“Sleep well beloved.” 

 

***

“Flight 0239 scheduled for Paris, France now boarding.” She felt heavy in her chest as she watched him lean to pick up his bags. The past few weeks had flew by and she wasn’t sure if she could keep up. Holding her face in his hands, he leaned down to kiss her not once…not twice…but three times and the last one was the sweetest one. 

“Roto don’t go….” His eyes held sadness but he just wrapped his arms around her and pulled her as close as humanly possible. 

“It’ll only be for a little while baby.” Eyes grown watery, she pouted. 

“I know but still…” Wiping her cheeks, he smiled gently.

“Don’t be sad Rae…where’s my smile?” The waterworks were about to break free but she held it together… barely. Giving him a little smile, the pout was back right after. His laugh sent flutters across her skin. 

“There’s my girl.” Crossing her arms, she sucked her teeth, pout enlarging. 

“Gon get on ya plane and call me when you get there.”

“I will babe.”

“Okay….””

“Gimme another kiss.” Lifting her chin, she stood on her tip toes and kissed him… not once.. not twice.. but three times. At the end, she watched him get on the plane and once it took off, then and only then did she cry. She supposed it was a combination of a lot of things that had transpired in the past few weeks. With Roto damn near closing up and acting funny towards the people around them, to the impending tasks that was stacked up on her desk.. all of it was overbearing. 

A feeling of uncertainty bubbled in her chest but she pushed it down as she lifted a hand to wipe the tears away. It was only two weeks. She could handle that. Turning, she made her way back through the airport, heading towards the parking lot. Now wasn't the time to boo hoo about Roto. She had a larger task that needed all her attention. And God help her, she was sweating bullets about it all. 

***

Admist the nervousness, three days had past since Hiroto had been gone and she’d been uncomfortably trying to fit into her newest role. Iwase-san. Madame President. Titles she’d never before been called. To say she felt intimidation wasn’t quite accurate. Rather, a sense of inability smacked her in the face. It frustrated her. She didn’t know where the uncertainty was comin from all of a sudden. She knew she was more than capable of doing what needed to be done. She’d done it before. 

It was something about this time though. The pressure was higher. The stakes were higher. She was Iwase Rae, a business woman. She was Iwase Rae, wife to one of the most influential men in the Eastern world. So folks kept reminding her. She felt all of the pressure and it didn’t feel great. But either way, she had to regroup. She had to get herself together because she didn’t have time to start doubting herself. She wanted to prove to all the haters that she didn’t need Hiroto to hold her hand. She could and would do this and she’d do it all on her own. 

“Iwase-san?”

“Yes?”

“Your next appointment is ready for you.”

“Ah, thank you.”

***

She had awakened to a bare chest and a sliver of pale sunlight. Warmth surrounded her and she indulged in it a little longer before pulling away from him.  Smiling to herself, she watched as he groaned and turned into her pillow, nuzzling the pillow sheet.  Slipping into his haori, she quietly left the room, carefully shutting the shoji. Coming to pause on the engawa, she felt herself grow breathless. Snow covered the beautiful ornate stones leading up to the deck and the many trees and lovingly cared for schrubs. She sighed  in contentment. Surely, this was just a sliver of heaven. That God could create such beauty. She tightened  her arms around herself. 

Being here was healing. It was everything she needed. His grandmother’s home would always be a space where she could just be. The wind picked up as if to say “Welcome back.” The events leading up to this break was bound to make her head hurt if she dwelled on it long enough so she wouldn’t. For now, she’d just enjoy her time like this. When she was a teenager, this place had been full of people and she’d only gone where Hana or Hiroto had gone. But now, with him sleeping and Shou probably off somewhere privately, she could explore some. Grinning to herself, she began to walk down the engawa, curious to see what all was to be found. 

***

Chatter surrounded him and he stepped out briefly into a small enclave, the beginnings of snow flittering from the sky. Christmas was right around the corner, fall had come and gone and now the world had been left with an almost bitter cold. Sighing, he balled his hands into fists and the urge to smoke hit him in his stomach. He missed Rae. It hadn’t been but three days and already he missed her. 

He knew she was nervous to be on her own. But, he wasn’t a fool. Rae was a beast and she had a way of getting things done that made even the most seasoned businessman shiver. Everybody wanted to see what Shoutoii would do next and was so excited for the works being planned for the future. Here in Paris, he was trying to expand their territory. Sighing, he slid fingers through his hair and stepped back into the boardroom. 

“Hiro, glad you’re back! We have a plethora of questions!” He found an executive sitting across from him, hands tightly pressed together. Clearing his throat, he straightened his posture.

“I thank you for your questions and I am glad to answer them.” 

“Great! What exactly is Hinansho composed of? And…is this a creation of your wife in its entirety or is it a collaboration?” Standing, he went to the projector screen and began to present. Mindful of the sometimes unequal circumstances dealt to women in the business realm, he made it his business to give her her due credit. He knew the assumptions and the misconceptions. By the time he was done, he’d have these fellows ready to partner.

***

Staring at the electronic model on the computer screen, she pinched the bridge of her nose. Sooner than she’d liked, the week had breezed through with the quickness and she couldn’t seem to get any of it the way she wanted. She wanted Hinansho to be perfect. So much yet to do, she took a deep breath before stretching, lifting her fingers above her head. Bringing her vision to life was harder than it looked. 

Blowing up a few loose curls away form her face, she sighed. She had to get on the phone with some prominent leaders in the major hubs of the country and see if they would like to promote the latest chapter in the media and on the television waves. Coming to stare at the model again, she slowly stood and gathered her things. this would be amazing when it was all finished. So many souls lost would come to be found.

Yawning, she closed her computer and gathered her things. It had been a long day. She needed to go home and soak in a tub full of bubbles and epsom salt. Stepping out into the hall, she began to make her way towards the main lobby. 

“Good night Mrs. Iwase.” Smiling to the other retiring employees, she bowed her head. 

“Good night.” When she finally made it downstairs, she kindly thanked the security that had escorted her. 

“Thank you for accompanying me tonight.”

“It’s our sincerest pleasure Mrs. Iwase.”

“Please…call me Rae.” 

“We will escort you outside to your vehicle.”

“Sure.” Once she’d locked up everything, she bowed before them. 

“I appreciate you.”

“Have a wonderful night and please be safe.” With a friendly smile, she waved as she took off.

***

After the latest meeting had adjourned, he headed towards the next meeting on his agenda and finally after a long days’s work he leaned against his car door and lit the prize of his labor, glow orange. Sighing in relief, he lifted his eyes towards the sky, the stars bright and white. The large expanse reminded him of home… a home he wanted to fly back to. In awe, he watched as it began to snow, large puffy petals drifting from above. Winter’s first snow. The crisp cold in the air spoke of a long bitter winter on the horizon. But oh how beautiful it was. Breath formed in the air and he took another long drag on his cigarette. I wonder what Rae’s doing right now. Opening the door, he slid inside and reached for his phone. Dialing her number, he licked his lips as the phone rang.

***


After a nice long soak in the tub, she had just turned on the television when her phone rang. Taking a breath she answered.  

“Hello?”

“Hey baby.” Smile instantaneously on her face, she laid back on the bed. 

“Hey.”

“What are you doing?” 

“Laying on our bed, fresh from the bathtub.”

“Is that right?” 

“Mmhm.”

“Mm.”  His voice sent flutters of warmth right in between her thighs. Biting her lips, she squeezed them together.

“What are you doin?”

“Currently on my way back to the hotel. Been a long day.” 

“Same here.” She heard a car door shut.

“I miss you Rae.”

“I miss you too baby.” 

“I’m ready to come home.”

“Aw…is it that bad?” 

“No, I’m just being a whiny brat.” That brought a chuckle to her and she tsked.

“Aw baby…you’re cute.” She could practically see his pout and turned to press her face against his pillow. 

“How’ve you been? I know you’ve had a lot on your plate as of late babe.” She sighed deeply. 

“It’s…getting there. Not quite where I want it but it’s going. I always had respect for what you do but damn bae. You make it look easy.”

“Don’t start underestimating yourself. You can handle this Rae.” 

“…”

“You’re the hardest working woman I know baby. Take your time and don’t frustrate yourself.” Feeling her heart swell. she took a shaky breath before inhaling his scent.

“Thank you babe.”

“We’re in this together Rae. If you need anything from me, you tell me.”

“O-okay….” She felt her cheeks grow warm. 

“I appreciate you…so much Roto.” 

“That’s what I’m here for.”  She bit her lip with a smile. 

“How’s it going in Paris?”

“Everyone loves the idea of Hinansho. They can’t wait until you finish preparing it. As of now, it’s safe to say that we have future partnerships here in France.” 

She shot up in bed, grin ear to ear. 

“That’s awesome… oh my gosh!”

“Contrary to what you may believe, the people here adore you.” She felt her cheeks grow hot. 

“Wow.”

“You’re not just anybody Rae.”

“Yeah…”  She was quiet and nibbled on her lip. 

”I know at a time like this it’s hard not to…but don’t let my name swallow you up Rae. Regardless of what others might think… you were somebody before you met me and your greatness speaks for itself. With or without me.” 

“I love you babe. You just so damn inspiriin.”

“I love you too. Keep that head and chin up.”

“I will…”

“Promise?”

“I promise. I’ll be all right.”

“Good. That’s my girl.” She sighed, a long dramatic breath. 

“I guess we should be gettin to bed now huh? It’s growing later and later.” His warm chuckle heat her heart. 

“Unfortunately…”

“Talk to you soon?”

“Talk to you soon anata.” 

“ Love you.”

“I love you too babe. Sweet dreams.”

 

***

He groaned into the pillow and slowly, his eyes opened. He sighed, seeing that she was gone. Grateful she hadn’t waken him, he curled up into the covers.  He’d worked his ass off lately and his body reminded him brutally that he needed rest. He wanted to get up but his body stayed put. There was no rush… not here. He could indulge in sleep as long as he wanted to. Here he gave himself permission. Rolling over to his other side, he yawned and slowly went back to sleep. 

 

*** 

She’d gotten lost. Down the long narrow hallways in his grandmother’s home, she had found herself in a room, staring at a life sized picture of what appeared to be his grandma holding a a long slender pole, a large curved blade sat at the top. Stepping gingerly into the room, she quietly closed the shoji. Whoa. Roto never told her that his grandma was a real live badass. Smiling, she sighed as she came closer to the picture. The apple didn’t fall far from the tree so she was far from surprised. She looked to be only 15 or 16 years old. Dressed in dark hakama and a white gi, her hair had been pulled up and away from her face, in a large topknot. The expression on her face was one of the most intense seriousness and focus. 

Glancing to the right of her, she eyed the weapon she held encased in glass next to the picture. Drawing closer, she pressed her fingers against the glass, the handwritten script below neat and prompt. She quickly discovered the name of the fascinating weapon. Naginata. Interesting. Warmth flooded her and she pulled away, looking at the woman in the picture. In what would come, she had to be strong. Like she did before her. She had no other choice. 

Just as she closed the shoji, she looked up into the face of Shou. How did he always seem to know where they were? It was kinda uncanny. At her surprised expression, he bowed, apology in his face. 

“I did not mean to startle you my dear.”

“Oh…”

“I was just watching the snow fall.” 

“Yeah it’s been snowing a lot as of late huh?”

“Want to join me?” She smiled politely. 

“Sure.” They went to the edge of the engawa and sat down, her a slight ways from him. 

“I’m glad you two decided to visit.” She smiled. 

“Me too.”

“Have you fared well? The last time I saw you was at the wedding.” She blushed. 

“Ah… yeah…I’ve been good Shou-sama. Working as usual. Hiroto’s been working as usual. We’re just really busy.” He nodded a bit. 

“Rae,”

“Yeah?”

“What’d I tell you about ‘Shou-sama’? Call me father…” She blushed a deeper shade of red. 

“O-Oh…uh…yeah s-sorry. It’s a habit I guess.” He laughed and the sound of it was musical. 

‘I’m teasing my dear. I know it will take some time. It doesn’t bother me.” 

“‘Kay…” 

“I understand you two have been working a lot. But have you taken time for yourselves?” 

“Ah…N-no…we’ve been too busy.” Shou clucked his tongue. 

“Nonsense. You must find time for yourselves. Work will kill you if you indulge in it too much.”

“Mm…”

“Have you two…had a lack of imtimacy?” At that, her face grew cherry red and she felt her mouth grow dry. 

“Um….”

“Father stop embarrassing my wife.” They turned to find Roto standing against the corner wall, arms crossed and chiding frown on his face. 

“Aha…I wasn’t embarrassing her Hiroto. I asked an innocent question.”

“No…you want to know when you’ll get grandchildren.”

“Naturally! I’m not getting any younger and you’re a fool if you prioritize work over a beautiful woman such as this.” At that, his cheeks turned red. 

“I-It’s not…like that Father.”

“No?”

“We’ve been through a lot over these past couple months…Rae and I have a lot we’re trying to do…”

“Hmph. Well…you should try to do each other more…” The embarrassment flushed her face and she looked up at Hiroto who equally had grown red as a whistle, mouth gaped open. 

“Father!” 

“What? We’re all adults here.” Shou said with an unapologetic grin. 

When Rae and I are ready for kids, trust me… you’ll be the first to know.”

“Good. Practice enough and you’ll be ready.” 

Oh my God…Roto get yo daddy.” Shou snickered like a mischievious child before getting up. 

“Since we’re all up, I’ll make breakfast.”

“I was going to do that Father.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Pursing him lips, Roto watched his father cackle as he disappeared down the hall. 

“I swear Shou be getting more and more bold….” 

“Tell me about it.”  He came to sit beside her. 

“Have you been up long?” He asked, sliding a couple strands of hair away from her face. 

“Maybe an hour tops. You was sleepin so good I ain’t wanna wake you.” 

“I appreciate that.” He said, pressing lips against her temple. 

“You ain’t get no time to rest…”

“You either.”

“Yeah bein out here don made me sleepy again.”

“Well, after you eat breakfast sleep the whole day if you want to.”

“Mm.”

“This is our time babe. Our time to relax and unwind.” She sighed deeply, a big smile on her face. 

“That sound so nice.”

“You deserve it.”  He kissed the top of her nose and she lifted her face to let him kiss her on the lips. Yeah…she deserved it. They deserved it and so much more. 

*** 

With his trip starting to wind down, he mussed his hair with a sigh. It was good that things were quiet back home.  He enjoyed the silence but a part of him couldn’t help but feel uneasy. The words of his meddling mother and Emi stuck in the back of his mind and he couldn’t ignore it. After being married almost a full year, you would think they’d surrender. But then they never could just surrender. That was not who either one of them were.  

Sighing, he slid hands into his pockets as he headed towards the exit. If he were being honest with himself…he felt guilty. In fact, it hit him in the stomach like a punch to the gut. Why? Because sometimes he felt he came on like he owned Rae and he didn’t want her to think that. She hadn’t said anything about it… never complained. He came off too strong sometimes…he knew that. She was his priority and he wanted to protect every cell in her body. Too many people are trying to weasel their way into our world. That he didn’t like. 

He hadn’t said anything to her yet…about just how much everything was bothering him. Emi bothered him like nobody’s business and he hated that she brought up old feelings and old ways. The old Hiroto…the one who wanted to crush her into pieces. The one who do just that and not give a shit. He hated the fact that his mother still made his mind run miles on minutes. This is why we need a break. I need a break. 

Having made his way back to the hotel, he made his way upstairs. He needed to unwind some, relax a little bit. Undoing his tie, he licked his lips. There was a nice hotel bar on the penthouse level so maybe he’d go for a drink. It was that or smoke and as of late he was doing that too much entirely. So, drink it was. He needed to call Tobu. It’d been a hell of a time since they’d spoken. He stayed in a completely different department and oftentimes traveled to other branches during his work day, so yeah that’d be the best way to end his evening. 

After a quick shower, he put on some sweats and a t-shirt and headed upstairs.With drink in hand, he reached for his phone. After a little while, he answered. 

“Hello?”

“Tobu,”

“Hiroto-kun! What’s up man!” He chuckled, a slow smile soon appearing. 

“Nothing much. How are you?”

“I’m good bro. Good to hear from you!”

“Yeah man you know how it gets.”

“Hell yeah..” 

“How is everything coming along? Seems like you took well to your position.” He could envision Tobu’s boyish grin as he spoke. 

“You set me up Hiro-kun. But that’s all right. I like it. I’m sure you already knew that though.”

“I’m not saying anything but good. Glad you like it. Glad you stayed.” He knew Shoutoii would be where Tobu called home… eventually. It provided just the right amount of challenge for him and he was brilliantly discovering and rediscovering new things… already. 

“Mmhm…where are you?”

“Paris.”

“Where’s my little lady?” 

“She’s back home being boss lady.”

“Oh shit..okay. I’m loving the power couple vibe you two got going on.”

“Yeah. Gotta be on top of our game.”

“And you do it so well. Expansion time I take it?” 

“Yeah.”

“Alright then. I like the sound of that.” He grew quiet as he took a drink. 

“What have you been up to To-chan?” 

“Nothing much. Just busy rearranging the files that are all messed up by the way. Whoever handled these before me didn’t know what they were doing.” 

“I figured. My father didn’t have the patience to go through them all so he abandoned it.” 

“Well, it’ll take me a while but I’ll get it all in order Hiro-kun.”

“I know you will and I appreciate you.”

“Other than being busy, I still have no girlfriend, am not married and my parents are being a major pain in my ass about it.” He snort. 

“You’re young yet, why are they still nagging you about it?”

“They have this idyllic vision of a nice proper Japanese wife who comes from money and raised right. But I’m trying to figure myself out first you know? I’m trying to get my shit together first.” 

“I totally understand man. Believe me.”

“They are gonna have to wait. That’s all there is to it.”

“Mm.”

“Say Hiro-kun…is your family having their annual Christmas gathering in Nara this year?” 

“Yeah.”

“I see.”

“Why?”

“Well, I kinda wanted to do something with you me and Rae this year.” 

“Ah… what about New Year’s? My family doesn’t usually do a big gathering for New Year’s.” 

“Alright then…perfect!”

“It’s a plan then.”

“Mm.” Things were pleasantly quiet between the two but the need to release the pent up events of late bubbled on his tongue. Truth was, he needed Tobu’s advice. It had never failed him. 

“To-chan,”

“Mm?” 

“I have to tell you something…some things that have happened as of late.” 

“…okay.” 

“Emi showed up again.” There was a loud scoff on the other end and he could hear Tobu swearing underneath his breath. 

“What’d the hell she want?” Lifting fingers up to massage his temples, he exhaled greatly.

“Take a guess.”

“A whole bunch of stuff that’s too exhausting to go through.”

“Mm.” 

“She has to be stopped by any means necessary.” 

“I know that.”

“I won’t tolerate her harrassing you two anymore. That’s out of the question.”

“It’s too late for that.”

“And you haven’t called the police?”

“No.”

“Why Hiroto?”

“If she wants to play one final game with me, I’m definitely down to play with her.”

“No man, no…that’s what she wants. Don’t you get it? She gets off on your anger. She’s a sick twisted bitch.”  Eyes glanced down at his glass, almost empty of its whiskey. 

“However that may be…I promise you this Tobu. If anything happens to Rae because of her, I’ll squeeze every ounce of life out of her.”  Tobu inhaled deeply. 

“I know Hiro. But you must come up with a better way to dispose of her. Think how unhappy Rae would be if you did something stupid like that. Do you think she would forgive you?” Closing his eyes, he tightened his jaw. 

“No…she wouldn’t.”

“Okay then. So, we need to do something else.” 

“Like?”

“I don’t know yet but we’ll figure it out.”

“What of my mother then? She has made her appearance as well…”

“What?!”

“She came to Shoutoii, dressed how she used to.  It was unsettling.”

“Did she say anything to you?”

“She warned me to be careful.”

“Be careful? What is she talking about?”

“That’s the thing. I don’t know and it’s driving me insane. Somebody helped her visit me and I want to know who. I want to know what the hell she has up her sleeve.” 

“Enough is damn enough already. You two have been through too much to let this shit set you back. Listen to me Hiroto. Right now, you need to focus on your wife. Focus on her and focus on you. Everything else will fall in place.” Lifting fingers, he slid them through his hair. 

“You’re right.”

“Your job is to make Rae happy okay? Fuck the rest of them.” 

“Yeah…”

“You know I’m here for you and for Rae.”

“Thanks Tobu. I’ll let you know what we decide.”

“Please do.”

“Thank you To-chan.”

“No problem brother.” 

“I guess I’ll talk to you soon then.”

“Okay. Take care of Rae and most importantly, take care of yourself Hiroto-kun.” 

“I will.”

“Catch you later.”  Hanging up, he finished what little drink he had left and sighed heavily. He needed that conversation and Tobu didn’t disappoint. For now, he needed rest and a clear mind. Standing up, he slid some money on the bar and headed downstairs. He definitely had a lot to think about indeed. 

 

*** 

“Ooh! This looks good Otou-sama!” Shou waved the compliment off with a gentle smile. 

“Come let’s eat.” The three gathered around a kotatsu, the warmth underneath it pleasantly melting the cold away. 

“Itadakimasu!” The two men said eagerly before digging in. 

“Itadakimasu! And bless the hands of the cook.” Rae added with a wink. 

“Amen babe.” Roto said with his mouth already full. 

“Boy…” She said with a laugh before picking up her hashi.  

 

***

“Madame President, should we turn down this street?” 

“Yes. Please.” 

The urge to see Kyouta had grown more and more over the past couple sayd, enough to the point where she traveled to Ayako as much as she could just to see him. Yes, the other children were a priority of hers too but that there boy made her heart flutter. He always seemed happy to see her and she was proud to say that she had seen an even bigger change in his behavior than before. Teachers told her that he was focusing better in their classes and even scored with passing marks on their science and math tests. 

Feeling her chest swell with pride, she asked the driver to stop at one of the nearby toy stores. Done with her tasks for the day, she left work a tad early just so she could surprise him. 

“I’ll be right back.” Stepping out, she hurried into the shop. She knew he liked to build things. Greeted by the attendant, she helped her select the perfect gift. Smiling to herself, she purchased and got back into the car. She thought about him and how he would spend the upcoming Christmas season. She’d run it by Roto but she’d love to have a special gathering with the three of them. Maybe take him to eat and play in one of the winter wonderland parks around town. Kyou was so precious to her and she wanted him to know that he wasn’t alone. He was loved and he was valued. 

Once they pulled up to Ayako, she quickly entered the building. Peeking into the great playroom, she caught him amongst some other kids. He looked a bit awkward as the other children laughed and joked around him but he was trying…He pointed at a childish sculpture he’d made. 

“If you like that, look at this. I made it.” The kids turned and some of their eyes grew big as saucers. 

“Wahhh! Kyouta, you’re cool!” The boy’s cheeks grew warm and red but he only nodded meekly. 

“Kyouta, there is someone who is here to see you.”  One of the adults interrupted gently, pulling his attention away from the kids. Turning, he met her eyes. 

“Rae-san!”  She smiled and opened her arms as he ran into them.

“How are you Kyou-chan?”

“I’m happy you’re here.” She felt her heart combust into a million butterflies and laughed softly. 

“Me too! I’ve missed you.” He pulled back, cheeks rosy. 

“I missed you too Rae-san.” 

“I missed all of you guys! How are you doing today?” She greeted the other children with a beaming smile. 

“Good Rae-san! Thank you for coming!”

“My pleasure!” 

“Where is Onii-sama?” He asked, looking around. 

“He’s working in another country right now.” 

“Ah…”

“Kyou-chan…I have something for you.”

“Me?” He pointed at himself. 

“Mm.”

“Why?” If he didn’t look so cute asking she would have felt a real way. Why shouldn’t he receive good things?

“Because you are special to me. And to Onii-sama.” 

“Oh…” Taking his hand, she led him out into the hallway. 

“I know how much you like to build things… use your hands and all. So, when I saw this I thought it was the perfect thing.”  His eyes lit up and he slowly approached the large decorative bag sitting on a bench. Looking back at her hesitantly, she urged him on. He gingerly grabbed the bag and reached inside it to find a large box. 

“Whoa…” She’d bought him a 480 piece building set with all the bells and whistles. Sure to last him quite a long while, she was tickled pink at his reaction to it. Holding it up, he gawked, mouth wide open. 

“Rae-san…you…you didn’t have to buy this for me.”  Coming closer, she gently laid a hand on the top of his head. 

“I wanted to. Besides, the look on your face is everything. Do you like it?”

“Mm.”

“Good. I’m glad.”

“Thank you.” Turning, he wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly. 

“You’re welcome Kyou-chan.” 

***

“Mrs. Iwase?”

“Yes?”

“A Mr. Takamasa Iwase is here to see you.” Blinking, she sat at her desk mad quiet. Takamasa? What in the world…

“Mrs. Iwase, should I let him enter?” A million things ran through her head but she swallowed tightly and nod. Clenching her fingers tight, she waited until he gave a ginger knock. 

“Enter.” Peeking his head in, he smiled. 

“Rae?

“Yeah….how can I help you?” He stepped into the room fully and bowed. 

“Wow…busy lady you are. I thought I was going to have to make an appointment.” She didn’t laugh or smile, her eyes taking him in curiously. 

“Ah…how rude of me. Hi.” 

“Hi.”

“Your Japanese has gotten so good… you sound fluent.”

“Thanks…” There was a long awkward silence that ensued and her mind was racing tryna figure out why Takamasa was here. 

“Would you like to converse in English?”

“No.”

“Okay.”

“What makes you come by? It’s been a long time since we last seen each other.” He slid his hands into his pockets and balled his lips, the dimples akin to his cousin’s deepening. 

“I wanted to see how you were doing…I mean like you said it’s been a long time since we last saw each other.”

“Mmhm…”

“With Hiro out of the country, I just figured I’d reach out to you and see how you’re holding up.” 

“I’m fine…doing just fine…”

“Ah…”

“Is…is that all you wanted?”

“Ah…no. Actually…I wanted to ask you something else…”

“What is it?”

“On a day when you’re not quite as busy… I want you to have lunch with me.” At that, she grew mad quiet, mouth open. Lunch? With him? What for?

“Uhh…”

“I can’t take you to lunch?”

“I didn’t say that…”

“Do you need to ask Hiroto’s permission first?” Before she caught herself, she sucked her teeth. 

“Look, you showing up in my office on my time. Don’t start irritating me.” Lifting his hands, he waved them in a truce, smile sliding into a slight grin.

“Okay okay… sorry.” Balling up her lips, she looked away from him, well aware he was staring holes into her. His whole entire appearance was weird. No phone call, no nothing. Why now did he want to come here…with Hiroto being gone? 

“I find it funny you pop up as your cousin takes a trip outta the country.” 

“That’s the exact reason why I want you to go.”

“Excuse me?”

“I know how hard this kind of work can be. No doubt without Hiroto here, it is overwhelming. I just want to take your mind off of work. For an hour at least.” She sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. 

“Okay…whatever. Thursday. Miki’s.”

“Two okay with you?”

“Sure.”

“Great! I can’t wait to see you then.”

“Yeah.”

“Have a great day Rae.”

“Yeah you too.”

***

Full from breakfast, he curled her up into his arms and headed back to their room. Tucking her into the warm blankets, he kissed her forehead and left her. 

*** 

Eyes watched as the exiled woman formerly known as Eri Iwase sat in front of a camera demurely, a deceivingly coy smile glued to her lip. All that was seen was plain tatami and closed shoji. The place of her exile. An interview there of all places.

“I understand that your son has exiled you Iwase-san. However, we’ve yet to gauge your feelings in the matters that have unfolded. If you could, please give some responses.”

“Hiroto is doing only as he has been groomed to do. For that, I do not fault him. Rather, I am proud of him for remaining true to the blood and law within his veins. His father and I tried to ensure that he grew up aware of his identity and all that accompanied that.” 

“How then do you feel about his union to an American? I’m sure the news came as a shock to you…being from the world and the family you’re in.”  There. The smallest crack in the otherwise flawless smile. Soon, her whole entire demeanor changed. 

“She’s less than insignificant to those of us who know better. She’s a worthless whore who seduced my son into giving her his money and his love. He’ll never realize the scheme and for that I feel most sorry.” The woman blinked at her use of harsh language and swallowed. 

“The majority of Japanese citizens view her favorably. While she looks different, she has what they call a heart for the Japanese people. What say you on that?” 

“How can she have a heart for the Japanese people when she herself is not Japanese? What does she know of us or of our identity?” The woman was silent. 

“Their relationship has spanned nearly 16 years and in that time, I tried to get him to see reason. He fell in love with her in high school and I thought it was just a phase. As is the way with Iwase men, they have their phases and then they bore and find accompaniment elsewhere. But, she became like an ugly black disease that never went away. All he seemed to talk about was her. For her, he’d have given up his entire inheritance, his identity and his self worth. I could not and would not allow it.” 

“You couldn’t support your son’s happiness with this person?”

“Absolutely not. She wasn’t the one I wanted him to marry. I did not want her in our family and even now I will never accept her or their children. To me, she is illegitimate and provides a disgrace to our family history.” 

“Iwase-san…does your problem lie with the color of her skin?” The woman laughed humorlessly. 

“I shouldn’t be surprised. Hiroto in many ways favors his ancestor Lord Haruyuki.” 

“Haruyuki?”

“Never heard of him?” They didn’t but the one watching it did. All attending the little interview were quiet and she took that pause to tell them. 

“Lord Haruyuki was the nephew of one of many great daimyos in our family tree. One night, on his way to Yoshiwara he stumbled onto a particular brothel. Unlike any of the others he’d visited, he noticed they specialized in exotic bodies. Interest piqued, he browsed the selection and came across a tayuu by the name of Kurohana. They said she had eyes like the bluest sea and skin as black as the night. Even more so, her hair fell down her back like a waterfall. He became entranced by her and soon after visiting her fell in love with her.”  Eyes turned to look into the camera, lips curled into a smirk. 

“Born a slave in Arabia, the poor girl ran away from her captors and found solace in Japan. Desired for her unusual beauty, she was captured yet again and grew up knowing only red lights. However, she didn’t know the man she’d serviced was of grave importance or the duty he held to his country. When Haruyuki went to his father to proclaim his desire to marry the girl, he was instantly threatened with disownment of all he’d known… all he was entitled to. Unlike Hiroto, Haruyuki abandoned her and sent her away, marrying a daughter from another influential family.” The woman sighed. 

“With this girl, Hiroto forgot all reason and it is a consequence he will have to live with.” 

“Perhaps now in this changing time and changing Japan, unions like this should be more acceptable. Your son loves her so openly and unashamedly…I think it goes far beyond ancestral tales and color of skin. Ebere-san has also helped Shoutoii grow substantially in the past year or so since she joined the company. These things mean nothing to you?” 

“They are indeed void.”

“Iwase-san, tell me…what is the reason you tried to assassinate Iwase Hiroto on national television?” She’d been well behaved but that too had to run its course at some point. She sneered, eyes growing dark. 

“Someone has to uphold the law. If he wants to be reckless and abandon it then I will make sure it is respected. In a world such as ours, I’m afraid my dear that you would never understand. To you, it may have appeared as though I was a murderous mother on a rampage but I assure you, even in that moment, I wanted nothing but the best for him. I still loved him.”  Though in exile, she existed as though her authority had never left. 

“Well, thank you for your time Iwase-san. I hope things are going well for you.”

“As well as they can be.”

“Well, this concludes our interview. Thanks for watching.” The program cut off and a lone person sat in the room, the fuzz from the empty television flashing on the screen. Laughter began to trickle inside and soon it loudly clung to the walls. The old bitch was crazy but she was determined and for that she couldn’t be faulted. She lived up to the Iwase name, even as an outside wife. It was a pity that she had more honor than the man of discussion. He was a weak pussy controlled son of a bitch and the faster he was brought down the better things would be for him. After all, he had his sights on something outside his destruction, a rare jewel that he’d been itching to claim. Licking cracked lips, the man lifted a cup of tea to his mouth. This was going to be a very Merry Christmas after all. 

*** 

“Madame President?”

“Yes?”

“A Mr. Takamasa Iwase is here to see you.” 

“Ah, thank you.” Sighing, she looked down at her hands before clenching them up. Time and time again, she had debated whether she should just call the entire thing off. For some reason, her stomach tangled up with unease. But damn the curiosity that nagged at her. She wanted to see what he wanted. Look, do it or don’t do it. Make up ya mind. Standing up, she gathered her things and with a breath exited her office. Standing there in a way so reminiscent of his cousin, he smiled as he set eyes on her. 

“Hello there beautiful.” Her eyebrow twitched but she managed a polite smile. 

“Hi.”

“Are you ready for lunch?”

“More than ready. I’m starved.” 

“Sounds good! If it’s okay with you we can skip Miki’s today. I want to take you somewhere else today.” Biting her lips, she nodded. 

“Okay cool whatever. Let’s go.”  The minute they began walking down the hall, the eyes started lookin and she knew they were asking questions to themselves. Whatever it was that he wanted, it had better be worthwhile. As they exited the building, he kept his hands politely pressed to his sides as they entered the awaiting car. 

*** 

“So uh…what have you been up to?” He sat back comfortably in his chair and smiled, those damn dimples appearing. 

“I have been busy building up an engineering company.” Her eyebrows shot up. 

“Oh really?” 

“Yeah.”

“What made you want to do engineering?”

“It’s always been a passion of mine. Besides, everyone in my family has to have something to take up.” 

“Oh…” 

“I’ve been watching Shoutoii.” 

“Have you?” She asked, leaning forward on the table. 

“Yeah. I’m very impressed.”

“Well, Hiroto’s done an amazing job with it.”

“Let’s not forget your major contributions as well Rae.”

“Yeah…”

“It was never like this before and without you it wouldn’t ever be.”

“Thanks…”

“You deserve just as much credit as Hiroto…perhaps more.” 

“Hiroto and I are partners… we share the responsibility as well as the credit. One of us is not higher than the other.” He hadn’t taken his eyes off of her yet so she reached for her cup of water. 

“Nice place you brought me to. What’s the name of it?”

抹茶.” 

“Matcha?” 

“Mm. Look around…” All around the cosy spot, there existed greenery, shimmers of gold and clear glass; even their cups translucent and handled with gold leaf. 

“It’s a really beautiful tea shop. Artsy.”

“I thought a change of scenery would be welcome no?”

“Yeah, it’s lovely. My kind of place.” He smiled to himself, reaching for his own cup of tea. 

“To be honest Takamasa, I was very shocked when you came to Shoutoii.” He looked up. 

“Mm?”

“Yeah I mean… we’ve never hung out before and our last interaction wasn’t that good.”

“You mean when we were kids?”

“Yeah…”  Sighing, he placed the cup on the saucer and leaned forward, hands pressed together. 

“Listen Rae…I  can’t fault anybody but myself. The first impression wasn’t exactly the best and for that I apologize.” She looked away. 

“In all honesty, Hiroto and I have always bumped heads ever since we were little. So, perhaps you just got caught in the middle of it all.” 

“Why don’t you two get along?” Turning to look sideways, he sighed again. 

“We’re complete opposites. He was the reserved quiet one and I was the rambunctious one. There were a lot of things I could do as a kid that he couldn’t. Perhaps he envied me because of it.” She was quiet as he continued, 

“There were of course a lot of things I too envied about him. He was the favorite child, the golden boy and nothing or no one could come before him. I watched how my mother and father bowed at his feet. It puzzled me.” He finally lifted his eyes. 

“One thing about Hiroto that proved consistent throughout our growing up years was this: if he found something or someone he liked, he would do his damndest to protect it. Even if that meant becoming overbearing.”   

“Mm.”

“That’s why I couldn’t get to his behavior when it came to you. He became…possessive in a most unbecoming way.” 

“Look Takamasa…I’m sure you know what your Aunt and Uncle did to him as a kid…right?” 

“Yes. It’s rather unfortunate but it is the way things have been done in our family for generations.” 

“So you’re excusing his suffering for tradition?”

“He constantly had girls vying to be with him and his parents hooked him up with anything that had money and a pair of legs. To a teenage boy, what is that but pure bliss?” She swallowed and kept her lips pressed together as a waitress placed their food down. 

“My, this looks delicious.”

“He’s not overbearing or possessive. I want to make that perfectly clear.” Glancing up from the food, he eyed her in that intense Iwase way. 

“With you, he is most incredibly suffocating. I imagine his love must feel the same way.”

“Takamasa-”

“Has he ever allowed you to be free Rae? Just once?”  

“I don’t need him to allow me to do anything. Let’s get that straight right now.” His grin deepened but he just continued staring at her as she continued,

“I don’t need him to give me freedom. I was free before him.”

“I see.”

“I’m done talking about this. Let me ask you this Takamasa since you’re so full of questions…what’s your deal with our relationship? It’s mad creepy that you always stay in my business about me and mine.” He took a sip of his tea, grin fading only slightly. 

“If I can be honest?”

“By all means.”

“Hiroto doesn’t deserve you.” She bristled, muscles tight. 

“Excuse me?” 

“When I first met you, you reminded me of a butterfly. The most heartbreaking thing is to see a butterfly caged. It’s very nature is to be free, to fly wheresoever it chooses. Hiroto doesn’t allow you that.” 

“How dare you!” She hissed, fingers tight underneath the table.

“I’ve struck a nerve. I’m sorry.” She pursed her lips, food untouched. 

“I will not sit here and let you disrespect my husband Takamasa. You don’t know what my relationship with him is like. Your opinions are entirely inappropriate and they need to stop!”  He had lowered his gaze but brought them up to hers, emotion within unreadable. 

“You’re right. I apologize for offending you. In no way am I trying to impose on your relationship or voice an opinion I am not entitled to.” She inhaled sharply, inwardly telling herself to calm down. 

“I wasn’t aware that this lunch was going to be used as an avenue to talk about a man who isn’t even here to speak for himself.” Takamasa sighed and regret began to pour into his eyes. 

“Forgive me Rae. Please.”

“Give me a reason to.” 

“Look, I just want to get to know you… uninterrupted. We never got that chance. Excuse me for projecting quite personal opinions of my cousin on to you. From now on, it won’t happen again. Let’s talk about something else shall we?” Slowly picking up her fork, she eyed him as he smiled and took another sip of his tea. She kept quiet as she began to eat, shoulders and back still tight.

***

As soon as he turned the key into the door, his phone vibrated. Wet from a run, he sniffed and sat down on the chair near his bed. Taking off his shoes, he reached into his pocket and upon seeing Rae’s number, he smiled. Opening the message, his body instantly grew warm. Oh. She’d taken a little photo of herself, skin clad in a brand new lingerie set, hair sprawled across the pillow. The words I miss you written underneath. Licking his lips, he took a shaky breath. Damn. She looked like a beautiful gift, one he couldn’t wait to unwrap.

Biting his bottom lip, he was just about to reply when his phone buzzed with another message. Going to open the message, he froze. There was a video with what appeared to be his mother as the thumbnail. Drawing his brows together, he clicked on the video. Sitting on the edge of the bed, he grew still. He felt like he’d been punched as he listened to her speak, fury spreading through his veins. This was a whole new level of disrespect. How she was able to do something like this…on national television…Gripping his phone tightly, he tightened his jaw. He needed some explanations and he needed them now. Sliding hair back from his face, he slowly stood, body tight. He’d shower and try to relax. There were definitely some calls that needed to be made tonight and he didn’t care if he had to stay up all night. Something had to change. Even if he had to force it.

***

Sweat drenched his neck and face but still he stood, bokken steady in hand. He’d been practicing for a couple hours now and his legs begged for rest. Inhaling slowly through his nostrils, he closed his eyes. No. Not yet. He’d grown lax and because of that, his body had grown lax. One more time and then he’d take a break. Feeling pure energy drift through his body, he exhaled, allowing the elements to sharpen around him. He ignored the stinging cold that shot through his hands and struck, one final time, quick as an arrow. Letting the bokken fall against the snow, he closed his eyes and let the large puffs of snow melt against his skin. It’d been years…years since he’d practiced budo. But it felt so good. To release everything that had ben pent up inside. Inhaling nice and slow, he took another breath before focusing. Lashing out, he struck the wooden post again.

***

Standing on the sidewalk, eyes drifted up towards the large window, hidden by curtains. He wondered where the lovely little woman was. His gaze drifted back towards the driveway, two cars sitting comfortably therein. Liar. He knew that Iwase Hiroto was nowhere to be found. He knew she was alone. For the moment. Visions of the past sights flickered across his mind. If he didn’t do it now, he wouldn’t ever get this chance again. Besides, he had a payment to collect so this was more than just a personal pleasure trip. Sliding hands into his pockets, he glided across the street, nice and slow. Tongue out, they licked dry lips. Now. Or Never. Pulling out a thin screwdriver, he lifted it to the door’s lock and once he got it open, he quietly opened the door. Acting quickly, he disarmed the security system and with a quiet breath of relief, he smirked. Game on. 

*** 

“Hiroto!” Jolting awake, he grabbed his phone and answered grumbly. 

“H-Hello?”

“You need to come home. Right now.” Tobu? What was Tobu doing calling him at three in the morning?

“Tobu? What’s going on?”

“Some guy broke into your house.”  Awake now, he gripped the phone tightly as he shot out of bed.

“What?!”

“Yeah…he tried to get to Rae.” Shit. This couldn’t be happening.

“Where is she?” He growled, hastily pulling some nearby sweatpants on. 

“Right here… wait a minute.” There was silence and then her voice came into his ear, panicked. 

“Hiroto?”

“Baby, are you okay?” 

“Y-yeah…I’m…I’m fine.”

“I’m coming home as soon as I get a plane ticket. Okay?”

“Y-yeah…”

“Did he hurt you?”

“No…Thank God. I smacked him with your baseball bat. Knocked him out.”

“Thank God.” Good girl.

“I can’t deal with muhfuckas breaking in our house Hiroto. You hear me?”

“Loud and clear babe. I’m coming. Don’t worry.”

“Okay…”

“Stay home today. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Okay.” Shoving his hair back from his face, he felt his cheeks burn with anger. 

“Looks like we’ll be moving sooner than we anticipated.”

“Tell me about it. At this point, I’m ready to go.” 

“I’ll see you soon sweetheart. I love you.”

“Love you too baby.” The phone was given back to Tobu. 

“Tobu,”

“Don’t even have to ask. I’m on it. I’m not going no damn where. Not till you get back.”

“Thank you.”

“Don’t thank me.”

“See you tomorrow?”

“Sounds like a plan.” Hanging up, he cursed under his breath. It was high time to cut this trip short. 

*** 

By the time he stepped off the plane, his phone was going crazy with notifications and alerts. It didn’t take the media outlets long to catch wind of what happened and he hoped to God that they hadn’t been harassing her. He was slammed with jet lag and fatigue but the thought of being with Rae gave him the energy to move briskly through the busy terminals. He needed to see her, feel her, breathe her. 

“Mr. Iwase, welcome home.” His company driver greeted with a bow once he got outside.

“Thank you. Take me straight home please.” Ride quiet, he played with the collar of his coat absentmindedly, relaxing only when they pulled up into the driveway. 

“Need you any help Sir?”

“No. I got it. Thanks.”

“Of course.” Bowing his head, he got out and retrieved his bags. Pulling them to the door, he felt a rush of relief as the door opened. Tobu faced him, a serious expression on his face.

“Hiro-kun.”

“Hey.”

“Welcome back.” He clapped his back in a hug.

“Good to be back. Where’s Rae?” He asked, looking around him. 

“Bathroom. She’ll be right back.”

“Ah,”

“Let me help you with those.” Grabbing some of the bags, he carried them into the house, leaving his hand free to close and lock the door. Gliding fingers across the nearby security system, he tightened his jaw. He’d requested someone come and install a new system, one more advanced than the first. Whoever this guy was, he had to be pretty smart to disarm a complicated system like this. 

“Relax Hiro. She’s okay.” Tobu pat his shoulder and he breathed a big sigh of relief. Sitting down, he groaned and let his eyes close. 

“You look exhausted Hiro-kun.”

“I am exhausted…”

“You weren’t going to hop right back into work were you?”

“I don’t know. I can’t say right now.”

“Mm.”  

“Hey Tobukins?” At the newest nickname shouted from the bathroom, he lifted an eyebrow. Tobu just grinned with a shrug. 

“Yeah?”

“Roto almost here?”

“He’s sitting right here in the living room little lady.”

“WHAT?” 

“Yep.” He chuckled as the door swung open and little feet ran towards him with a screech. 

“Rotooo!” She jumped on him, knocking the breath out of him. 

“H-Hey b-babe…” Arms came around him and she sighed with relief. 

“Welcome home.”

“It’s good to be home.” 

“I missed you so much baby.” She whispered the words quietly against his hair. He inhaled her clean fruity scent and slid hands around her waist.

“I missed you too.” 

“Well, looks like it’s my cue to go.” Rae’s cheeks grew red and she pulled away, getting off him. 

“Tobukins…” She came to his side and grabbed some of his shirt. She wasn’t looking at him but he could feel the emotion welling up inside. Tobu smiled gently and pulled her to him in a hug. 

“I’m glad I was able to be here for you.”

“Me too Tobu…” 

“I’ll always be here for you Rae. Anytime you need me.” 

“Mm.” He kissed her temple and let her go. 

“I’ll see you guys at work. Maybe.” He winked at her and the seriousness combust in an instant with that boyish grin of his. 

“Get out.”

“Eh? Y-you’re kicking me out?”

“Yup cause you being nasty now.” He couldn’t help the laughter that rippled through his chest as she attempted to push Tobu towards the door, failing miserably. 

“Hey hey we all know why you’re kicking me out. You two aren’t slick.” Tobu teased playfully, laughter bubbling in his throat. 

“Bye Tobukins….out!” 

“All right already! I’m going…” He let out a chuckle as he closed the door behind him. Huffing, she leaned back against the door. 

“Damn that was a workout. Whew.” He grinned and slowly got up from the couch. 

“How are you feeling Rae?” He asked, coming closer. 

“I’m good now that you’re home.” He was in front of her in no time and gently slid arms around her waist. 

“I’m glad you’re okay…”

“Yeah I’m a tough little cookie.” She lifted her arms and wrapped them around his neck and he fell instantly into her big brown eyes. He didn’t say a word as he lifted her up into his arms and made his way to their bedroom. Absence had made the heart fonder and he wanted to show her how much he missed her. 

 

*** 

It was like that was the beginning of a trickle down effect. Once that happened, they had rush jobbed their move into a new space which was still hadn’t been fully unpacked. Safe and away from many prying eyes, it was a quaint little place for just them two. Satisfied that Rae liked it, he tried to move them forward but then the coup de gras had to come and when it did, it hit them full force. 

 

*** 

 

Eyes watched as the tiny little woman lifted her shirt. So he had returned. It didn’t surprise him. He’d been a fool to leave a beautiful thing like her home alone anyway. A tongue licked lips and waited in anticipation as it finally came off. Hands shook as they reached for the door handle. He had to get a shot of her…His gut had told him to call the whole thing off. But he couldn’t stay away. Stepping out of his car, he swallowed tightly and headed up onto the curb. He needed one good money shot and then he’d leave. He had to make sure all of this had been worth his while. Surely, the hit to the nose and face should’ve made him throw in the towel. But he’d make him pay his hospital bill for that. It was his fault after all. Lifting the camera hanging from his neck, he was just about to take a picture when all of a sudden he felt an arm come around his neck, knocking the breath out of him.

“Who are you?”  A low voice hissed against his ear.

“I-I can’t breathe…”

“Who are you?”

“Let me go and I’ll t-tell you…”  He was released and coughed, gripping his throat. Turning, he found Iwase Hiroto standing there, fists tight, ready to strike. 

“You’re the one sending me these pictures.” Not a question but a statement. He rubbed his neck, trying to regain his breath. 

“She’s beautiful, what can I say?”

“I won’t ask you again who you are.” He spoke, voice quiet. 

“The name’s Ichikawa Tomoaki.”

“Why are you taking pictures of my wife?” He coughed, again finally gathering breath enough to speak. 

“If I tell you that, I’d be out of business.” 

“I’m not giving you an option.” 

“I can’t tell you that.” He glanced up towards the window with a grin. 

“I tell you what Iwase Hiroto…you’re one lucky son of a bitch. Wifey’s got a great little rack.” He wiped the grin off of his face with a swift punch to the jaw and he went down hard, hitting the ground. He groaned and rolled over, eyes finding the enraged man.

“T-take it easy….okay…you wanna know who is behind it all?”

The business mogul lifted him up by his jacket collar, eyes black and voice rough. 

“Speak.” The tiniest slice of fear traveled through him.

“Iwase Takamasa.” The blood drained from his face and he let him go, allowing him to touch his bruised jaw. 

“He is your cousin right?” The man didn’t speak for quite a while, gaze far off into the distance.

“How long has he employed you and for what purpose?” Coughing again, Ichikawa crossed his arms. 

“A couple months now. Why else but for his own collection?” His eyes flickered to his. 

“Collection?”

“Yeah. He’s got all kinds of pictures of her. He’s obsessed with the bitch.” That earned him a kick, this time to the chest and fire scorched his entire abdomen. 

“I want you to give them all to me.” He wheezed, breath short. 

“M-Make me an offer I can’t refuse.”  Iwase Hiroto pushed his foot on top of his chest, drawing short pained breaths from him. 

“The pictures for your life.”

“O-okay…yeah…fine.” 

“I want you to meet me when all of the pictures are gathered. It will be at a location I will disclose. Are we clear?”

“Y-yeah.” 

“I have eyes everywhere. Follow my instructions and you won’t get hurt. Is that clear?” He nodded and licked his bloody lips. For the first time in a while, he was uneasy…gravely uneasy. This guy…this Iwase Hiroto wasn’t like his cousin. No, he was far more deadly and dangerous. 

“What about Iwase Takamasa? He’s expecting me to come back with something.” The voice of the man sent an even deeper chill down his spine. 

“Let me worry about that.” 

 

***

”You’re going to freeze to death out here.” Turning, he met large brown eyes.

“Rae…”

“Come here…” Smiling, he slowly made his way to the engawa. Plopping down, he sighed heavily, his body grown stiff with fatigue. 

“You overdid it…” Her tiny warm fingers brushed cold wet hair back from his face and gently pulled his head back against her chest. 

“I been lookin for you.”

“Mm?” He hummed, her warmth seeping into him. 

“Mmhm.”

“Glad you found me.”

“You’re so cold Roto.” In the quiet snowfall, breath met the air, cheeks, neck, arms and hands cherry red. 

“You were thinkin about him weren’t you?”  

“Who?”

“Takamasa.” He grew stiff and opened his eyes to look up at her. 

“How can I not?” 

“I don’t want there to be a rift between the two of you Hiroto. He is your cousin.”

“Who has no business desiring you or taking pictures of you. Point. Blank. Period.” He finished, his tone angry. He pulled away from her and curled his hands into fists. 

“Takamasa and I have always seen things differently and we have never got along. There are many things I have forgiven because we are family.” Turning, he looked her in the eye. 

“You are and will not be one of them.”  She bit her lip and gently caressed his cheek. 

“Your desire to protect me…I understand. But you didn’t marry a weak woman Hiroto.” His jaw grew tight. 

“If you goin into this with a sword then I’m gonna be right next to you with a naginata slashin bitches.” At her analogy, he smiled handsomely, dimples deep. 

“Naginata hm? Do you even know what that is?” 

“No but it’s a weapon so I’ma use it anyway.” Laughter broke through the silence and he pulled her closer by her hand. 

“You’re so cute. You are my little warrior woman huh?” 

“Ya damn right.” 

“Takamasa doesn’t stand a chance does he?” 

“Hell nawl.” A series of chuckles lightened the once angry mood and he sighed, pressing her hand against his frozen cheek. He let her wrap her warmth around him and sighed against her chest, body shivering.  

“Rae?”

“Yeah bae?”

“I love you.” Blushing, she met his gaze, tenderness and desire adorning his features. 

“I love you too Iwase Hiroto.” He smiled before pressing a kiss to her lips. Sighing against her mouth, he suddenly forgot about the cold or the impending bath. Pressing her back against the engawa, he deepened their kiss, nice and sweet.

*** 

Old eyes watched the two kids frolick about, cheeks warm and rosy. Lifting an equally old cup to his lips, he observed as his son pulled her against him, their mon unashamedly on his back. Smiling, he sighed. Good. Only she could calm him in such an effective way. 

“Christmas is almost upon us.” The two separated at the sound of his voice. Rae bit her lips, cheeks a delightful rose. Clearing his throat, his son eyed him as he came to stand next to the two of them, watching as the snow fell, the cold winter air swirling all around them. 

“I’m glad you two came to stay with me.” 

“It’s no problem Father.”

“Surely, you kids could have chosen to reside elsewhere but you decided to stay with this old man.” 

“Oh stop Father..we came because we love you and wanted to see you.” Rae piped up, a cute pout on her face. He grinned. 

“Such a sweet child…” 

“We wouldn’t rather be anywhere else.” Hiroto input and he smiled.  

“Since I have you two, I might as well spoil myself with your company. I will go make tea.” As he made his way down the hall, he smiled to himself. He preferred they be here with him for many reasons. He knew that the two of them could hold their own but call it fatherly concern…he wanted to protect them in his way. It made him happy to see the immense joy Rae brought to him.. still after all this time… after all these years. Coming to stand in front of the kamado he gently touched the top, still warm from the morning. 

“Father.” He turned to face his son, who came into the kitchen, eying him with a soft expression. 

“Yes?”

“Are you worried?” Sighing, he could only nod and to his surprise, Hiroto came up to him and lifted a hand to his shoulder. 

“Don’t be.” Just as quickly, he removed it and instead went to grab some wood from the corner. 

“How will you remove the threat to your happiness Hiroto?” 

“Whatever the decision is, no blood will be spilt. There is enough of that in our history.” He stood and threw the wood underneath the old kamado

“With my mother, we will handle this just as we would in old times. She has too much pride to allow further humiliation beyond what she has already endured.”

“What you have suggested… do you think it will erase her blood from your hands?” 

“It will be something she will inflict upon herself…at the behest of herself. She will more than likely do it anyway.” He swallowed tightly and nodded. Grave crimes she had commit against the family she had married into and for that she indeed had to pay. 

“I trust your decision on the matter. After all, when I am dead and gone, I shall live through you and through the generations to come from you.” He smiled fully bringing him to a halt. He hadn’t smiled like that in such a long time… Teeth showing and free, his entire face lit up with emotion. 

“Indeed Father.” Things grew quiet between them and soon an old tea pot was placed on the top and soon hissed, full of hot water. 

“Why don’t you go sit with Rae? I’ll bring the tea in.” 

“Mm.” 

*** 

 

Since finding out that Takamasa was behind these pictures taken of her, she at first had no clue how to react…anger first finding her. But now in the stillness, she felt different. Slightly. Instead of anger, she felt pity. A deep overwhelming sadness swept over her and she swallowed thickly. It was all so unfortunate.

 

***

She glanced back at her man who unconsciously outstretched his hand for her in his sleep. Somethin wasn’t right. Grabbing a robe, she made her way into the kitchen. Pursing her lips, she went to get a glass of water. He was actin weird. Two nights ago, he said he was stepping out for a ‘walk’. When he’d gotten back in, she could feel deep intense anger vibrating through him. It had hit her smack dab in the face as soon as he’d kissed her. He’d been mad quiet and hadn’t said much since then. His behavior was concerning the shit out of her. He never seemed relaxed and his eating habits were starting to decline. That was a definite no no. Sighing, she washed her hands and began to fix something. By the time he woke up, she knew he’d be hungry.

“Rae?” Sleepy head was up after all.

“In the kitchen!” Feet light, she didn’t even hear him come into the kitchen but smiled as lazy arms came around her. 

“Howlongyoubeenup?” He asked, face pressed against her shoulder. 

“Not long. Thought you’d be hungry so I’m makin you somethin to eat.” He grumbled and tightened his grip on her. 

“Wehaveworktoday…”

“Yep. In a couple hours.” The grumble turned to a dissatisfied groan. 

“Let’sstayhome.” Smiling again, she cracked four eggs and went to the rice maker, scooping out two fresh hot wads of rice into a couple bowls. She hadn’t had an opportunity to make Japanese food back in the States so her skills were more than rusty. With practice, she knew she’d be back on it. This morning was a tamago kake gohan kinda morning. Whipping the eggs into the rice, she sprinkled some nori, soy sauce and left over vegetables from last night’s dinner together. Turning, she found her husband yawning, sleep fresh on him with a bed head somethin serious. He was so cute, the big baby.

“Come eat sleepy head.” 

“Mm.”  They skipped the table and went to sit on the couch. Pulled in between his legs, it was quiet as they ate. 

“Roto?” 

“…Mm?”

“You want seconds?” He pulled the bowl away from his mouth. 

“Do I need another bowl?” She swallowed but looked at him head on. 

“Well…you haven’t been eating much lately.”

“I haven’t been hungry.”

“Hiroto…”

“I’ll be fine baby. Don’t worry.”

“I’ll always worry about you.”  He sighed heavily and put the bowl down on the nearby table. He let go of her and pulled away. 

“Roto, look at me.” He swallowed, his eyes tired and angry.

“What’s wrong?”

“There’s nothing wrong.” Pursing her lips, she turned around and poked his chest.

“Don’t lie to me.”  He tightened his jaw.

“…It’s a… combination of a lot of things.”

“Like what?” 

“My mother…first of all.”

“What’d the old crow do now?” 

“She came up to my job. Right before I left.”

“Say what?”

“Yeah.”  

“To do what?”

“Give me a message. Be careful.”

“Be careful. Be careful of what?” He laid back against the couch cushion, arm strewn over his face.

“I’ve been trying to figure that out.”

“And there’s more?” She huffed loudly. 

“Yeah…” 

“What the hell else has been goin on?”  

“There’s a man who has been so curiously located outside our window over the past few months.” 

“What man?”

“Whoever he is, he has sat outside our window for hours at a time.”

“Aw shit… it never stops. Why…why can’t people just let us be happy…”

“I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to scare you.” He lifted. 

“Okay…” 

“I finally caught him.” She relaxed with a groan. 

“Thank God…” 

“He was being paid to take pictures of you.” Her brows scrunched together and a frown came to her face. She licked her lips and crossed her arms.

“Who the hell would do something like that?” Jaw tight, he answered without hesitation.

“Takamasa.” She looked at him like he had grown three heads. 

“Takamasa?” His nostrils flared and he swallowed thickly. 

“Yeah.” 

“Waaaaiiit. Wait. Wait. Wait…”

“All this time I was right about him.”  She sighed heavily, now understanding where his anger came from, her own spreading through her chest like wildfire. Licking her lips, she looked up at him before lifting her hands to caress his face.

“Hiroto, do you think Takamasa would be happy if he saw you like this?” His cheeks red with anger, he scoffed.

“I don’t give a damn about his feelings.”

“Listen to me.” He inhaled roughly but stayed quiet. 

“He wants you to act this way. You know that and I know that. He wants you to deteriorate and right now you’re fulfilling his wishes.” At that, he stiffened.

“You have to make sure you’re taking care of yourself. Don’t give him what he wants.” She pressed her face against the top of his head. 

“If we lose sight of what we’re doing or where we’re going… it’s going to mess everything up.”

“….you’re right…” He leaned down to lay his forehead against her chest. She wrapped her arms around him, holding him tight to her. 

“We’ll figure all this out bae. But in the meantime, I need you to do something for me.”

“Mm?”

“I need you to eat. I need you to stay focused and I need you to not shut me out. Okay?”

“Okay. I’m sorry I’ve been so distant.” He pressed lips against her collarbone and with a deep heavy sigh, he relaxed. 

“Gon dig in to that breakfast, I know you hungry.” Smiling against her, he laid against her for a while before lifting up to meet her face to face. Kissing her deeply, he thanked her with no words, making her body turn to jelly. 

“Thank you baby…” He breathed against her mouth before kissing her again. 

“Welcome…”

“I love you.”

“Love you too.” As he grabbed their bowls, the goofy ass man baby returned with a slight wiggle of his eyebrows. She couldn’t help but laugh and lifted her foot to playfully kick him in the butt. 

“Gon goofy butt!” Laughing, he headed into the kitchen. Watching like a hawk, she felt a surge of happiness as he got a big second helping. Atta boy…She’d do anything to ensure that he wasn’t once again pulled into the deep dark place lingering somewhere off in the distance. She’d keep him together so that they could still reign, even under uncertain and dreary circumstances. After all, being Iwase meant learnin to adapt and quickly.

 

***

 

“What are you doing to do about all of this?” Sitting across from him, his father looked at him cup in hand. His expression was of extreme seriousness. 

“My rage forgets he shares the same blood as me. If he were anyone but Iwase, I would kill him.” 

“The ancestral blood is strong in you so that does not surprise me.” 

“Takamasa does not respect our name. He has abused the sacrifices our ancestors made to bring us into the eras of past and present. He does not respect anything his family has done for him.” 

“Agreed.” His father sighed heavily before putting the cup down. 

“The one weakness to Iwase men above all else is their women.” She hadn’t expected them to include her in this quite intense conversation but it made her happy that they did. She reached over and took his hand, gently squeezing it.

“He’s not worth it Hiroto. You know it and so do I. You’re on a dimension he couldn’t ever dream of being on.” He squeezed her fingers and pressed a kiss to her hand. His father swallowed tightly and looked down at his hands which were clasped so hard they had grown white. 

“Hiroto, listen to me. Through you, our family will continue to succeed and prosper.” He looked away for a moment, quiet. 

“You’re right. And part of our family prospering is ensuring that Rae is kept safe. Takamasa…my mother….even Emi…they don’t understand love nor do they understand what it means to protect what you hold most dear. She is our future. She’s my future.” He tightened his jaw but came to look into his father’s eyes. 

“Through Rae, our family will continue to live on. It is not an act of mine alone.” Shou nodded, an intense expression of his own on his face. 

“This is true. Rae is strong just as she is beautiful. She can hold her own no doubt. But it is in the Iwase nature to protect their women fullheartedly. I don’t object to that. No matter what happens, she will always stay by your side.”  His father reached for her other hand and smiled suddenly, breaking the intensity. 

“Focus on her and how you can continue to build our empire Hiroto. Takamasa will eventually fail. When that day comes, simply carry your head high and keep moving.” 

“Mm.”

“It’s obvious he needs help. Help that we can’t give him. If he doesn’t decide to change his life around then I can’t help what happens to him. That I leave up to God.” He lifted her hand again and kissed the back of it. 

“I think we need some more tea so I’ll be right back.” She grabbed their cups and quietly let herself out, shutting the shoji behind her. Sitting back, his father sighed again, much heavier than before. 

 

“Now that Rae’s gone, I must ask. What are you going to do about your mother?” 







Chapter End Notes:

UPDATE 2/12/2019: Hey y'all. I re-uploaded this chapter because I didn't like how the former one read and flowed. It didn't feel right. SO. I have completed re-edited it. Hope you like it! OH! And I have created a second trailer for Accordance, the first part of this series! Please check it out here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ay1gPXFO8

LOVE Y'ALL! WE ALMOST THERE Y'ALL. TRANSCENDENCE IS ALMOST DONE. *cry face*

D&L 

 

 ORIGINAL AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

A/N: HELLO FAMILY! OMG IT'S BEEN FOREVERRRRRRRRRR! WHEW! So much has happened and it's really almost been a y e a r since I updated. WOW. How are you all? Y'all still hangin in with me here? Man oh man. I tell you... Life. On a personal tip, I had a major cross country move BACK to OH with family due to a death in the family so I've been trying to write while start over again back here at home with work and everything. This year has been the most challenging one yet for me creatively and it's been disheartening at times. Like... I'm so close to finishing and everything but sometimes, I just literally COULD. NOT. WRITE. Here I am though moving strong ahaha! Glad God gave me the gusto! 

Okay, chapter time! A LOT HAS HAPPENED IN THIS CHAPTER. lol. Like a lot. Not to mention that it was super de super long lol. I have so many thoughts... first... Rae being overwhelmed in Hiroto's absence. Completely relatable. Like I think anybody would react the way she did initially! Kay next... Hiroto's fear of being possessive. BRUH. Listen. Let me get me a man who would be down for me like this lol. First of all. lol. I think his fear is cute but not based in truth ya know. Kinda like his own slight internal paranoia. Rae spelled it out for bruh man... like babe stop. No. You ain't and uh... quit. Yeah.. quit. SOOOO LET'S TALK ABOUT TAKAMASA's A**. Y'ALL. Y'ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. He. NEEDS. TO. SIT. DOWN. BEFORE. HE. GET. THEM. HIROTO. HANDS. CAUSE THAT'S WHAT HE WORKING HIMSELF UP TO. UGHHH. Like Emi's character, having to write Takamasa just gives me the creeps because he's SUCH a creep. 

I love the scenes with Shou and the bits within Roto's grandma's home. My favorite parts this chapter by far hehe. So, my question to you is this: Why do you think I named this chapter Nucleus? What do you think is going to happen to Takamasa? Emi? Eri? Do you know who the mysterious man is? Love y'all and thank you for supporting and reading! I personally feel it's getting way longer than I originally intended but it's not complete yet. lol. So, as long as God blesses my fingers, I will continue until R&R's story is completed! 

OH! I MADE A TRAILER FOR ACCORDANCE Y'ALL. IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT, I WILL POST THE LINK HERE! PLEASE WATCH, SHARE AND LIKE! I WORKED REALLY HARD ON IT AND IT BEING MY FIRST EVER EDIT VIDEO, I WAS HECKA NERVOUS LOL. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE VIEWS SO FAR! I COULD CRY! Y'ALL ARE AMAZING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zivFoYq65o

 

Love you again! And see you next time! Here's to 2019, MY Y E A R Y' A L L L L L L L L L! Thanks again for riding with me and I truly can't wait for ALLLL that God has in store for me. I'm READY to receive it. I'm READY to experience my HARVEST! 

-D&L







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.