Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


HIS PROMISE

The vet was able to see Duke as soon as they arrived at the animal hospital. It helped that everyone recognized Alise and was generous about treating her dog right away. So there they were the two of them in the waiting room at nine on a Friday evening.

Riccardo finished sending a new group of texts to Emilio informing his brother what happened and he looked over at Alise. She was silent and had her eyes fixated on the door where the vet had taken Duke behind.

"Alise you can relax" he said, "we'll probably be here for a while"

"I know it's just this is going to sound cliché " she replied, "he's not only my seeing eye dog and pet he's my best friend"

"Hey that's okay" Ricardo said, "I can tell you two are really good friends I bet Duke tried to mess Joey up as soon as he came in the shop"

"Yes" Alise managed to say, "if he hadn't gotten shot I'm sure he would have torn him a new one"

"It would have been well deserved" he said "greasy bastard"

"Riccardo" she whispered "why did you kill that man? I mean I appreciate you coming to save me and Duke but did you have to kill him?"

"It was for your safety"

"My safety?" she said surprised "I don't understand"

Riccardo could see the fear on her face as plain as day and it pained him to see that and it was all because of his selfish brother and father. He looked up to see that they were in fact within earshot of the receptionists and he didn't want them hearing his business.

Riccardo led Alise out into the hallway to discuss the serious matter

"Listen" he said gently but firmly "I wish you didn't have to see or go through that and I know you're scared right now but I need you to trust me Alise"

"I...I...but Duke..."

It was hard for Alise to find her words, which was understandable for someone who just witnessed what she just witnessed.

"Riccardo what exactly is going on?"

"You were being targeted" he said "Joey had every intention of killing you tonight"

Alise shivered "Why?"

"I come from a family of hit men and I used to be one myself" Riccardo explained, "my father Don Cappella is the leader and my brother Tony is his right hand man"

"You see Alise my father wanted the property that's currently your bakery as his main headquarters and well let's just say things went shit when he found out Winston had granted that property to you instead"

"Joey slapped two pictures of Winston on the counter. and...he's dead" Alise tried to say "they killed him he was such a sweet man...I....don't understand"

"There's nothing to understand" Riccardo said simply wishing that he didn't have to tell Alise all of these things "that's how my father operates if he wants something done it gets done"

"Don wanted Winston dead and now he is"

"Your father wanted me dead too?"

Riccardo bit his tongue as he gazed into Alise's questioning gaze but knew that she deserved the truth

"Yes that's why Joey was sent to you"

Alise was speechless but how was she supposed to respond to that? She couldn't the fact was clear as day that she could have died tonight had Riccardo not stepped in.

What if he hadn't came?

Riccardo wrapped his arm around Alise's shoulders "It's over for now"

Those words didn't bring Alise much comfort "What do you mean for now? Will they still come after me? will they still try to hurt Duke?"

"Alise I need you to trust me when I say that what you had to go through tonight will be the last time you ever have to experience that" Riccardo said firmly

"I'm still scared"

"And I'm still right here"

"Perhaps I should start looking to move" Alise said, "it's obvious I'm not welcomed here and how will I face the Martin family?"

"You don't have to go anywhere" he assured "I'm going to take care of this and if you want me to go with you to console Winston's family I'll do that"

Alise simply nodded but still had little doubts running around in her mind; but trusting Riccardo was better than nothing even if he was related to the people who wanted her out.

"I'd like that" she said, "I don't want to go alone"

Riccardo gently squeezed Alise's hand "I'll be right there I promise"

And he sincerely meant that from now on Riccardo was going to have to literally be Alise's guardian angel. He would move her and Duke into his apartment if he could anything to keep her safe.

Neither Don nor Tony was going to scare her like that again and Riccardo also knew that they weren't going to stop and do it out of spite as well.

"Miss Turner" the vet addressed the two of them

"Is Duke going to be okay?" Alise asked, "please tell me he's going to be okay"

The vet smiled "He's a lucky strong and stubborn dog Miss Turner, Duke is going to be just fine"

For the first time that evening Alise took a huge sigh of relief "May I see him?"

"Of course" the vet said leading her and Riccardo to the back to see Duke. The German Shepard weakly wagged his tail when he saw his owner and Alise immediately went over to the table to pet and soothe him.

Duke leaned up as much as he could to lick Alise's face but she whispered "Shh it's okay Duke I'm here"

Looking at the way Alise was with Duke Riccardo was grateful that the dog had been able to pull through. Duke was the only family aside from her friend that she had left.

"We will have to keep him over night though" the vet said "just for observation"

"Oh" Alise's face fell a bit "will I'll be able to take him home tomorrow"

"We'll see how he is tomorrow" the vet agreed "honestly he's lucky you two got him here in time and he was able to pull through his shot wound was quite fatal"

"For now we'll keep an eye on him"

"Okay" Alise said reaching for her purse "let me just get my credit card so I can pay the bill---"

"It's on us Miss Turner" the vet insisted, "all of us here love your bakery by the way"

 

Just as Riccardo was getting ready to drive Alise home for the evening he got a funny feeling in the pit of his stomach. He didn't want Alise alone tonight. Or any night for that matter this was only the beginning after all once his father had a target he didn't stop until they were dead.

Alise must have sensed his feeling as well because she whispered "Tammy isn't home she's spending the weekend with her fiancée...I don't want to be alone"

"Your roommate?"

"Yes....you don't think they'll come after her too will they?"

"No" Riccardo replied "they won't I promise you that Alise I don't want you to be alone either you're coming home with me tonight"

"Okay" Alise replied trying to calm her nerves and he placed his hand on hers to soothe her

Alise looked over at Riccardo as he drove them to their destination. Her heart pounded and she swore it got caught in her throat. Riccardo was at just as much at risk as she was and yet his only concern for right now was her safety and well-being.

By the time Riccardo pulled up to his apartment it was almost midnight and he knew that Alise had to be tired.

"I'm going to get you some clothes to sleep in okay?"

Alise simply nodded.

Riccardo found a pair of his grey sweatpants and a t-shirt that had a washed out football team logo and number on the back. Both of which were too big for Alise but at least she'd feel more at ease sleeping in something other than her bloody uniform.

Riccardo at first let Alise sleep in his bed and he insisted that he would take the couch. Alise whispered "Riccardo.... please stay.... please"

"Are you sure you want that Alise?"

"Yes"

He couldn't say no to that and climbed under the covers beside her and she began to calm down. She was really shaken up and he couldn't blame her. Joey could have very well have killed her and Duke tonight.

"Try to get some sleep okay....whoa Alise..." Riccardo stopped when Alise moved her hands all over his body.

"Alise..."

Even though she was groping him over his clothes it still felt very sexual probably even more so than being nude.

When Alise lightly squeezed his crotch Riccardo knew he had to stop her before things got out of hand. He could already feel himself becoming erect. 

Riccardo quickly grabbed Alise's hands ceasing her actions and she looked up at him confused; both with her good eye and her rather expressive blind eye.

"I thought you...you don't want to..." she stuttered feeling embarrassed by her forwardness now "I'm sorry"

"Don't be" Riccardo said wanting to kiss her so bad in that moment "you don't know how bad I want you Alise but this isn't the time.... you're not ready"

"Yes I am"

"No Alise you're too emotional right now" Riccardo insisted "you're not thinking things through just try to get some sleep I'll be right here"

"Okay" she said a little disappointed

Riccardo wrapped an arm around Alise in comfort and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

"Sleep Alise" he repeated "I'm right here"

It took a while but Riccardo could hear Alise's gentle and steady breathing within a matter of minutes.

Once he knew she was definitely asleep; Riccardo went to sleep too. They would hopefully be able to pick up Duke in the morning.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.