Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


TWO

Al pushed her scrambled eyes around on her plate they looked like mush and the fact that they looked like the same texture as her oatmeal made her stomach turn.

"Better eat doll face" a familiar voice said "you only get three square meals around here and most of it is mush"

Al looked up to see Jackson Ford sit down across from her. Having already finished his breakfast he came over to keep her company. Al figured that there was something seriously wrong with Jackson because none of the other patients talked to her.

Al didn't even have a roommate because the nurses were concerned that she would harm not only herself but harm others as well. This wasn't the first mental hospital she was sent to and she knew the story she was always deemed as too difficult so she didn't think she'd be here long.

Al didn't talk to any of the patients and they didn't talk to her so she found herself wondering why Jackson was so persistent.

"It usually helps me if I pretend that it's something else"

"I'm not hungry"

Al pushed her plate away and nervously balled a napkin in her fist when she saw Wilson by the door of the cafeteria looking over at them. Taking note of her action Jackson looked over to the direction Al was looking and frowned.

"Good Morning to you too Wilson!"

Wilson adjusted his holster as he scowled at the two at him

"Don't make him mad" Al whispered

"Fuck him" Jackson said, "you don't have to be scared of that prick"

"I guess..."

"Aaliyah---"

"Al" she said firmly "my name is Al"

"Is he fucking with you?" Jackson asked seriously "because that's not in his job description"

Al didn't answer and shifted her attention to her untouched breakfast. Before Jackson could say anything else the bell rung signaling the end of breakfast.

All of the other patients got up to get where their scheduled activities or counseling were for the day but Jackson stayed behind with Al, which annoyed Wilson.

"You better be where you need to be by the time I get back Jackson" Wilson said and shifted his attention to Al "you too girlie"

"Wilson don't you have other patients to bother?" Jackson said not liking the way he addressed Al

"That mouth of yours is going to catch up with you one of these days Jack"

"Kind of like how you're going to be caught with your pants down eventually huh?"

Wilson didn't respond but gave Jackson what looked like a death glare and exited the cafeteria

"Fucking bastard"

"I um...I should go" Al said getting up

"Not before you eat something" Jackson said "believe when I tell you that you only get fed three times around here"

"Why do you care if I eat?" Al asked giving him a suspicious look "I don't know anything about you besides your name"

"Judging by the slits on your wrists it obvious you're not used to folks not caring about you"

Al immediately yanked her sleeves down to cover her wrists

"...none of your business..."

"It should be somebody's business" Jackson said, "why do you do that anyway?"

"....everyone says I'm crazy that's why...."

"I don't think you're crazy just misunderstood"

Al looked up from her plate to look Jackson in the face and was surprised to see a very honest expression.

"...we should really go Wilson will be angry...."

"I could care less about that shit stain" Jackson said "but if it helps you feel better I can walk you to the counselor's for your session"

Al watched Jackson sneak an honey crisp apple from the buffet line and he placed it in her hand.

"Eat it" he encouraged her "it's the only thing that doesn't look like mashed peas"

Al hesitated for a minute but one bite of the sweet fruit was all it took for her to bite a few more times.

"Good huh?"

"...yes"

Jackson handed Al a glass of milk to wash the apple down "It's not much but lucky for you lunch is right around the corner"

"...thank you"

"That's how it feels when somebody cares about you doll face"

 

"That's how it feels when somebody cares about you doll face"

Al watched Jackson and some of the other male patients dribble up and down the basketball court. It was a rather warm day for early October and the patients were outside getting some fresh air.

Al usually sat by herself during leisure time just like she had done any other time.

Even most the female patients didn't like being around her and it didn't help that she was only one of the few black female patients as well.

Al found herself thinking about what Jackson said this morning and it really stuck with her. She had been at this hospital for two weeks now and just like the hospitals she was at previously she always felt so alone and isolated.

For the past few days Jackson had been talking to her whether it was in the recreation room or the cafeteria. Most of the time whenever they talked Al usually answered him in only one or two phrases responses. Even now Al was still puzzled

by Jackson's sudden fondness in her because it wasn't like they had anything in common.

"Oh shit!" Peter exclaimed as the ball flew from his gasp and was now bouncing towards Al.

"Heads up Al!" Jackson called out to her.

The reaction that would come from Al next would be pretty intense she looked up to see the basketball hurtling it's way towards her and she froze for a minute.

"Get up!"

"You clean all this up right now!"

"Okay Momma I'll clean it----"

"I SAID NOW!"

The eight-year-old girl was then stuck with her mother's shoe to her head and she barked at her more

"YOU AIN'T MOVING FAST ENOUGH GIRL YOU WANT MY OTHER SHOE!"

"No Momma"

"THEN MOVE IT!"

Al screamed and screamed as if a thousand basketballs were being thrown at her as opposed to one that had now slowed down and was rolling towards the fence behind her.

Al dropped to the ground and rolled herself up into a fetal position and was screaming more

"NO MOMMA! NO!"

"Hey!" Jackson made his way over to her and kneeled in front of her despite her screaming her head off "you're okay---"

Jackson was surprised by how hard Al pushed him away

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" she screamed "DON'T TOUCH ME! MOMMA DON'T TOUCH ME!"

Everyone in the courtyard was now witnessing Al's episode and the nurses immediately came out to see to her.

Jackson saw that this only escalated the situation further and he didn't like the way Wilson was suddenly just standing at the doorframe as if he were anticipating this happen.

"It's okay Aaliyah calm down---"

"I got this" Jackson spoke up as he locked eyes with Wilson

"Jack this needs to be handled by professionals---"

"I said I got this" Jackson said, "you guys are only going make it worse"

The nurses were bewildered by this and Wilson looked confused but one of the nurses did comply

"Okay Jackson" she said "could you please walk her back to her room when she's calmed down?"

Jackson nodded and sat down next to Al gently rubbing her shoulder soothingly to which she still fidgeted but she didn't lash out at him either.

"You're okay doll face" he whispered, "you're okay"

Jackson could see the stone cold stern look on Wilson's face and he didn't like it.

It was obvious Al was scared of the guard and Jackson didn't want him messing with her not if he could help it.

The nurses weren't going to trust his suspicions than he would have to trust his own.

 

"....sorry I didn't mean to push you it's just...."

"I know you didn't mean it"

"...you're not my mother though..."

"Did your mother beat you growing up?"

Al didn't respond and Jackson decided not to push the issue any further. Her episode was over and she had calmed down and Jackson had walked her back to her room.

"You going to be okay?"

"...yes"

Jackson nodded "I'm going to get going okay? Wilson practically follows me everywhere and I don't want him coming in your direction"

Al nodded

Before Jackson turned to leave he heard Al whisper almost quietly

"...thanks for staying with me..."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.