Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

What exciting things have happened for Evangeline and John during this past year?




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Evangeline felt invigorated.  She hadn’t felt this good in years.  She couldn’t believe that the months had flown by and in only two weeks she would receive the promotion to a full partner.  She had impressed everyone with her acumen, tenacity and honesty.  The partners knew that they had a ‘jewel’ in their mist and the junior partners and the entire staff appreciated all of the hard work that she and her team had done.  Her team thanked her for her leadership and congratulated her on her achievement.  No one expressed any jealously because they realized that they all benefited from the changes that she had suggested and that her team had implemented.  All divisions reported improvements in client satisfaction and the revenues reflected the increase in productivity.  With the new position came a new office and Evangeline had packed her office for the move and her assistant gave direction to the movers.  The partners took Evangeline and her team out to lunch for an early celebration because many of the partners were heading out for vacation and wouldn’t be in the office in two weeks time. Everyone had a grand time and the lunch was delicious.  Everyone headed back to the office to finish out his or her workday.

 

In the months since Evangeline moved to DC she had found a lovely townhouse that fitted her to a ‘T’.  As promised she made sure that her guest room had everything that Todd would need when he visited, which he did several times in the first few months that she moved into her new place.  He said that he wanted to see the townhouse to make certain that she made a good investment and to check on her.  Todd realized that he enjoyed the role of ‘big brother’ and at every opportunity made certain that his ‘little sister’ had what she needed.  He would call her regularly so that she wouldn’t get lonely.  She told him about meeting an old acquaintance from her past, Dennis.  Todd asked how that encounter went and she said that it went well.  Since she last saw Dennis at her aunt’s funeral, he had married and now had two children. She was so happy for him. It also eliminated any chance for him to try to weasel his way back into her life.

 

When Evangeline left Llanview for Washington, DC and the new job she decided that she would not have any romantic entanglements during her first year there.  She wanted to concentrate on her job and on herself. That does not mean that she had not received offers or that there were not men who tried to convince her to change her mind. She had dinner dates and dates to the opera and ballet and other cultural events but that’s all they were ‘dates’. She held fast to her decision to not have any serious relationships.  Now nearing the end of that year she felt renewed and looked forward to her new life and the adventures ahead.

 

Evangeline never asked Todd about John McBain and Todd never mentioned John during any of their conversations.  Evangeline knew that a part of her would always love John but she could never be with someone who did not put her first.  She made a promise to herself that any future relationship will require ‘heavy lifting’ by both parties and past relationships will remain in the past. She had a bright future ahead for herself and she looked forward to it.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

During that year in Llanview, John McBain continued his therapy with Dr. Crosby. Also during that time John terminated his enabling relationship with what Evangeline called the ‘perpetual victim’. He faced, battled and conquered those issues that held him captive for so many years.  That last step gave him the confidence to make one final decision and that was to leave Llanview.  

 

Earlier on in his treatment schedule John did not find out that Evangeline had left Llanview until five months after her move.  He had refrained from asking anyone about her until he was well into his therapy and could see and feel the improvement in himself.  He wanted to tell her about his therapy and the changes that it made in him.  He went to her office and found someone else there.  The receptionist informed him that Ms. Williamson no longer worked in the building.  John went to Nora who confirmed that Evangeline had left Llanview but she didn’t say where she had gone.  John realized then that Evangeline didn’t want him to know where she was. John said to Nora, “ I can’t blame her for leaving.  I can’t blame her for not telling me.  I treated her so badly when we were together. She probably couldn’t leave fast enough.  Wait, what am I saying?  Once again I’m only thinking about myself.  Evangeline endured terrible things during her time in Llanview.  She deserves better. Good for her she left.  I hope that she is happy wherever she is.”  With that he left Nora’s and headed to Dr. Crosby’s office because he needed an ‘emergency’ session after receiving the news of Evangeline’s departure.  

 

Now feeling like he has a new lease on life John McBain pondered his next step.  After having decided to leave Llanview he still had no clue where he would go.  He knew that he could always find a job wherever he went but just where would he go?  The answer came from a friend in his past.  One of his former supervisors at Quantico has plans to retire and he had kept up with John’s career and asked if John had any interest in leading a newly created division for solving ‘cold cases’ using the latest DNA databases. John couldn’t believe his good fortune.  He quickly accepted and they agreed that John would start in the next month.  The FBI team was already assembled they just needed a team leader.  John’s former supervisor, Robert Goren, knew no one more qualified to handle the job than John. John decided to take a few days off from his job in Llanview Police Department to go to Quantico and meet with his friend and the team and find housing.  The Commissioner Bo Buchanan approved the leave.  John did not tell Bo then that he planned to resign his position because he didn’t want any unnecessary delays.  John decided then that when he did submit his resignation paperwork he wanted it effective immediately and he would leave that same day for Quantico.

 

John had previously worked in the Quantico and Washington, DC area so he knew his way around. He met with his friend Robert and the new team.  Everyone was eager to get to work.  John found suitable housing and arranged to move in the next two weeks. John completed all the necessary paperwork for the new job and would start work in one month.  John finally saw a bright future ahead for himself and he looked forward to it.






Chapter End Notes:

Both Evangeline and John have embarked on new exciting jobs.  Will work be enough for them?

Robert Goren is the name of a character from one of my favorite shows, "Law and Order, Criminal Intent".







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.