Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

How does the past and present impact this couple and the future that they want with each other.

Chapters 6, 11, 12 and 13 revised, 2/27/19.




Author's Chapter Notes:

Wedding bliss encounters a bump in the road




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Margie and Jethro settled into married life and enjoyed every minute.  They both realized that they were still in the ‘honeymoon’ period but they didn’t care.  They would take everything as it comes and make the best of it.  Not that they didn’t have an occasional spat but that was more due to having lived alone so long that they had to adjust having someone else in their lives on a continuous basis.  But they would not trade it for anything in the world.

 

Margie’s new position allowed her more stability as to time to share with Jethro.  She didn’t have to worry about being called away at a moment’s notice.  On the other hand, Jethro’s job, on occasion, did require him to leave without much advance notice.  Margie didn’t mind too much because she knew that he could take care of himself and plus he had a great incentive to return home these days, her.

 

On those nights when Jethro would have to work late, Margie would stop on her way from work to pick up dinner and deliver it to him at his office.  She would stay a little while and chat while he ate, to make sure that he did eat, and then she would head home.  She didn’t want to distract him from his work.  When Margie would have to work late Jethro would meet her downstairs on the first floor of her building and would provide dinner for her to reciprocate.  They did this because it took too long to pass through security to get to her office in the other part of the building so she would meet him in an easily accessible location. 

 

Margie’s security clearance and initial position required an act of Congress, one innocuous line in a bill.  Margie’s position started out as a prototype.  She started as a CIA agent who worked with other domestic and international intelligence gathering agencies across all spectrums.  As an attorney she knew just how far to ‘bend’ the law but not to ‘break’ it.  Her security clearance exceeds that of many governmental agency directors and many others.  She doesn’t use her security clearance as anything other than to facilitate doing her job. She had worked through several administrations and agency directors and has never breached a confidence. That being said, one thing that her position required was non-disclosure.  She could not discuss her job duties or assignments with others.  

 

Once Margie married Jethro she had to decide whether she could continue the secrecy.  She now had someone in her life to share with and she didn’t want her job to hinder that.  So after she agreed to marry Jethro and while she recuperated from the attack by Robert she met with her superiors and requested that Jethro receive a security level that would allow her to at least share some of the details of her work.  She used the argument of all that she sacrificed through the years and the recent attack that it was the least that they could do for her.  She didn’t imply that her work was more important than other agents but no other agent has had the responsibilities that she has had through the years.  Although most of the agents and others in high-level positions who worked with her through the years had retired, those currently in decision-making positions knew well the value of Margie’s position and wanted to assist her in any way possible.  Jethro received the necessary clearance.  He did not use it to any advantage in his own job but solely so that he and Margie could communicate freely and not violate ‘national security’.  With that matter resolved Margie and Jethro settled into a comfortable existence.  

 

Margie enjoyed her work.  She didn’t aspire to work in management because she liked the fieldwork so much. It allowed her to use the skills she had acquired and gave her many opportunities to hone those skills, something she would not have sitting behind a desk.  Anyway, her position was created for fieldwork. She had made a difference in her years of work and that gave her much satisfaction.  But it did not come without a price.  Of course she could never reveal her true identity. When she went undercover she would usually use false names that were close to her real name.  She has been known as Allie Gregory, Georgia Alexander, Lexie Mackey, and others.  Sometimes she thought that she was the female ‘Ethan Hunt’ because she had to alter her appearance and voice so many times.  Yes, those gadgets do exist and she has used them.  She knows how to drive so many different kinds of vehicles she has lost count.  So many things she was trained to do and so many things that she learned through the years.  Yet through it all she always strived to do a ‘good work’.  

 

Tonight Jethro had to work late and Margie, as usual took dinner to him and his team.  

 

“You look tired and frustrated Jethro, what’s wrong?”  Margie asked after she gave him a welcome kiss.

 

“We’re getting stonewalled on this case that we’re working.  ‘Above your pay grade’ and ‘classified’ are the words I am so tired of hearing.  If I knew someone in Interpol we could probably solve this case in no time but we have to go through channels and wait for their contact to contact our contact who then can share the information with us. Sorry, don’t mean to burden you with my troubles Margie.”  Jethro said wearily.

“Jethro, the last time that I checked we are married, so your troubles are my troubles unless something changed since this morning,”Margie answered.

 

Jethro snickered, “Yes smarty pants we are married but you have enough on your plate you don’t need me adding any more.”

 

Margie chuckled and said, “I can multi-task quite well and I have a ‘big plate.  Do you have someone where that we can videoconference?  I have an idea that could resolve this matter for you.”

 

Jethro showed her to MTAC.  She contacted someone on her cell phone and there on the screen appeared, Stefan.  Jethro remembered him from the hospital when Margie was wounded.  Margie made the introductions and left them to hash out the particulars. Stefan assured Jethro that he could obtain the information that he needed and he would contact him within the next few hours.  They terminated the call.  

 

“Thank you Margie for your help.  By the way how long have you and Stefan known each other?” Jethro asked trying but not succeeding in looking jealous.

 

“We have known each other for many years. At one time we thought that it could be more but we both realized that we worked better as friends than as lovers.  Are you jealous Jethro?  You have no reason to be. ‘Vous et nul autre’ Jethro.  You and no other.  I told you before.  You’re it for me. No one in my past holds my heart, only you.  You are my present and future remember that.”  Margie said as she exited MTAC and prepared to leave his office.

 

Jethro walked Margie to her car and before she started her car to leave he said, “I’m sorry about earlier, about Stefan.  You have lead such a storied and exciting life and I am sure you have met people, men, along the way who have meant something to you.  I’m just an ordinary man and sometimes I wonder what you see in me.”

 

“Jethro I don’t understand where this is coming from but we can’t have this conversation in the parking lot.  Finish your work and I’ll see you at home.  But do know that what I see in you is you. What I want is you.  Now it’s up to you to believe that.  I can’t do anything to convince you.  You never appeared to me as insecure so I have to think that something else has caused this doubt.  But like I said I won’t have this conversation in the parking lot. I will see you at home.”  Margie said troubled at the turn that the conversation took.  She has no idea what has caused Jethro to doubt her love for him.






Chapter End Notes:

Something has caused Jethro to doubt Margie and she has to find out what has caused this doubt.

Thnx so much for reading this story.  If you left a review thank you again.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.