Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jethro recovers and ponders his future.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Past, Present and Future another NCIS story

 

Chapter 10

 

Jethro’s finally home from the hospital.  The doctors said that he should make a full recovery since he was in good physical health before the gunshot wound and the bullet went in and out without causing any major damage.  He will need to take it easy and do his stretching exercises but other than that he was good to go.  We left all of the pain medications at the hospital.  Neither of us are one to take pain medications.  I know first hand how easy it is to become addicted to those things and the only things that I want to be addicted to are God and Jethro.

 

I sat Jethro up on the couch in the living room with everything that he needed within reach.  I arranged to work from home so that I could take care of him.  This time left the front door unlocked so that people could come visit with him and he wouldn’t have to get up to open the door in case I wasn’t nearby.  

 

It was so funny when McGee and Torres came over to visit Jethro they both called out from the foyer, “Hello is anybody home?  Can we come in?”  I was sitting at the dining room table checking in to work on my laptop and Jethro was on the couch reading a book.  When we heard them we looked at each other and we both burst out laughing.  They heard us and came in and asked what was so funny.  We just shook our heads and told them to come in and sit down.  They visited for a while and then returned to work.

 

It surprised me that Jethro didn’t interrogate them about a case or anything.  He just sat there and listened to them talk.  I brought lunch to him and sat with him.  

 

“Jethro what’s wrong.  You’re mighty quiet. You didn’t say much to McGee and Torres.  You didn’t grill them about any cases.  What’s going on with you?  Are you in pain?”

 

“No Margie I’m not in pain. Nothing’s wrong really.  I was just listening to what that had to say and I was thinking.”

 

“Thinking about what?

 

“Maybe it’s time for me to leave the field.”

 

 

“And do what?

 

“Leon has tried for years to get me to take the Assistant Director position but I keep telling him no.”

 

“Is that what you want?  Will being an Assistant Director keep you out of harm’s way? If I remember correctly Leon was injured in a bomb blast and he’s not in the ‘field’.  What makes you think that not working in the field will keep you safe?  You could walk out of this door and get hit by a car right?”

 

“I know Margie that could happen but what about if I retire maybe I can reduce my chances if I retire.”

 

“Do you want to retire Jethro?”

 

“No.”

 

“All right then let’s take retirement off the table.  What is this about really?  Tell me Jethro.”

 

“I’m scared Margie.  I’m scared that we won’t get our happily ever after.  I’ve already almost lost you twice and now this.  What else is going to happen?”

 

“Leroy Jethro Gibbs you surprise me.  I didn’t know that you believed in fairytales.  And what are you talking about we won’t have our happily ever after.  We’re living our happily ever after right now.  You and I are alive.  You and I are in love.  You and I are together.  You and I are healthy. I could go on an on but I won’t.  Do you know how many people don’t have that?  We both work dangerous jobs Jethro. We knew that coming in.  We do the best that we can with what we have.  I’m not in the ‘field’ anymore per se.  I may have to handle some assignments administratively and if push comes to shove I may actually have to ‘put foot to the ground’ but for all intents and purposes I’m a ‘desk jockey’ now.  You love your job.  It’s what you do.  Now if you want advancement and you want the Assistant Director position then take it because that’s the type of work you want to do now but don’t take it if you don’t really want it and you’re doing it just to avoid the danger of fieldwork.”

 

“When you say it that way Margie it looks different. I’ll think about it.  I do love my job.  But I am getting old and maybe it is time for me to move on and allow the younger ones to take the lead agent position.  I can still be involved but not in the day-to-day action of the case but more on the administrative level.  Plus it will give me the opportunity to use all of those contacts that you gave to me.  It will also allow me to take advantage of that security level that I’ve seldom used.  I may prove more of an asset to NCIS as an Assistant Director than I originally thought. I will give it some serious thought and we will talk again about it after I recover.  I won’t make any decisions now while I’m down in the dumps because I’m not working.”

 

“Well I’m glad that I could help.  I know it’s hard for such a get up and go guy like you to have down time but take advantage of it.  I’m sure once you return to work you will long for a moment of rest. Plus you get to spend all day with me isn’t that a bonus?”

 

“Yes it is my love.  You’ve taken such good care of me.  I love you for it.”

 

“That’s what a wife is supposed to do Jethro.  Now let me get back to work.  Do you need anything before I return to my office in the dining room?”

 

“No Margie I don’t need anything else. I’m fine.”

 

As soon as he said those words his phone rang and I heard McGee talking about something.  Jethro became engrossed in his conversation with McGee, giving orders over the phone and taking notes as he spoke with each of his team members. Abby even called.  I smiled.  That’s my Jethro.  He’s in his element.  He’ll realize it again soon enough.  We all go through periods of self-doubt but then reality kicks us in the butt and we recalibrate ourselves and get back on course.

 

I booted up my computer again, pulled up my files, made notes, made phone calls, talked with my staff and sent emails.  Of course all of my work on my computer and all of my phone calls are encrypted.  I’ve been in the game long enough to know how someone can make some innocuous message look like a ‘doomsday alert’.  I keep everything close to the cuff and short and precise.

 

It would take a book, several books indeed; to detail all of the precautions I’ve taken over the years that I’ve worked.  From designated satellite feeds, poisons and antidotes, disguises, allies and enemies to friends and cohorts. I’ve built a network rivaled by none because I’ve been in this game a long time.  Most of those with whom I worked when I first started, most not all, are either working in the private sector, retired, gone off the grid or dead.  

 

And Jethro has been in his field of work a long time too.  He has connections and a network also. I think that he would be perfect as a Director but that’s not the kind of position that he wants and anyway Leon Vance is a fine Director of NCIS.  In time Jethro will settle in his mind which way he wants to go, administrative or stay in the field.  Whatever he chooses he will have my wholehearted support.

 

 

A/N: Only a few more chapters and this story will come to an end.  Thnx for taking the journey with Margie and Jethro.  Do leave a review.  Any suggestions on what other adventures Margie and Jethro might have?  I’m open to suggestions even though I have pretty much outlined their story.






Chapter End Notes:

Approaching the end of this story.  Thnx for taking the ride with Margie and Jethro.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.