Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

 




Author's Chapter Notes:

An introduction and a little background on the main character.  How we plan and how life takes us on unexpected journeys.  Let's go along for the ride and have a bird's eye view of it all.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

From Broken Heart to True Love

 

Chapter 1 – The Museum

 

 

She never envisioned that she would find herself in such a state of upheaval at this stage in her life.  She married early, had her children, worked and figured when she grew older she and husband would settle down to a quiet life after retirement. Who said it, ‘the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray’?’  And boy did her plans go astray.  She did what she thought she was supposed to do.  

 

·     She loved her husband

·     She loved her children

·     She kept her house

·     She loved the Lord

·     She trained up her children in the way that they should go

·     She supported her husband.  They moved for his job, six times in twenty years. She had to find another job after each move.

 

She gave her all; they took her all and left her with very little. She laughs at it now but there were many tears along the way.  As she looks back at it now she realizes that the signs were there early on in the relationship.  He spent his time how he wanted and left little for her.  But she was the wife and she was supposed to hold the family together.  

 

To look at her now, in her sixties, still looking good.  She’s healthy and she stays active.  She took up running years ago and loves it. She runs half and full marathons. She writes occasionally and sings in her church choir.  

 

She retired five years ago after working many years in governmental agencies.  After the many moves for his job they did finally settle in one state for more than ten years and that gave her the opportunity to actually obtain a job where she could work long enough to qualify for a pension.  That was a godsend because she couldn’t imagine how she would survive without that and her savings.  She’s frugal with her money.  She keeps herself on a strict budget but still treats herself to those things that she loves to do, which is travel.

 

Yes, she retired.  But she retired alone.  That dream of her and her husband retiring together and living out there golden years sitting on the front porch in their rocking chairs disintegrated with their marriage.  They divorced ten years ago.  They were married over thirty years and it was not all honey and roses. She was the dutiful wife and he was the cheating husband.  But it wasn’t just one affair, she maybe could have forgiven one affair but no there were multiple affairs.  Finally she decided that she couldn’t take it anymore and filed for divorce. She left the marriage, she left her home, which ironically she picked out and he didn’t even like it at first, and she left her job.  She moved to another state.

 

Thank goodness for family.  Her family surrounded her with love and made a place in their home for her.  Her spirit was broken and they gave her a safe harbor to heal.  It took time but she came out of that dark place of sorrow with a renewed vigor.  There is nothing so lonely as a failed marriage, she read somewhere and that is so true.  She looks back at it now and knows with certainty that she did her part.  God undergirded her through the rough times and continues to hold her hand even now.  

 

Yes even now when her relationships with her children still seem fractured.  She feels like an outsider in their lives, like out on the periphery of their existence.  They remain close to their father and his ‘housemate’.  I guess that irks her a bit because she feels the victim in all of this but he seems to have reaped the rewards.  Well, she’d rather have the ‘eternal’ blessing rather than the ‘temporary’ relationship. She’s done all that she can with trying to be a part of her children’s lives but she has come to her breaking point.  It hurts her too much and she is not a masochist.  She will no longer inflict that pain upon herself.  So she will back off and stay to herself.  She has enough activities to keep her mind from dwelling on them.

 

And so here she finds herself in her favorite city in the world, Paris, France.  She treated herself to this trip for her birthday.  What do they say about ‘April in Paris’?  She loves Paris with its iconic buildings, its museums, its restaurants, and its everything.  She’s traveled here many times and each time she discovers something new about this city.  And today is no different.  Today she made her way to one of the many museums.  On the first Sunday of each month they have free admission to many of the museums.  

 

She’s already viewed the ‘touristy’ attractions in the museum and has now moved to those art pieces that really catch her fancy.  She likes to look at the painting and envision the artist painting it, thinking about what made the artist choose that particular color or that particular object to paint.  As she studies one such painting she overhears a man explaining another nearby picture.  She doesn’t turn her head to see him but simply listens.  The words that he uses makes it clear that he knows the painting but they also make it clear that his audience is not an adult. Finally she turns and looks at him.  She catches her breath.  

 

The man is gorgeous with gray hair at the temples but dark brown everywhere else, clean shaven, about six feet, dressed in blue pants and a navy jacket, not a suit, and is holding the hand of a cute six year old girl with curly shoulder length brown hair.  

 

“Grandpa why do the birds look so big?” the little girl asked. 

 

“So that he could show how if you stand close to something they may look bigger than if you stand far away from them,” he replied.  

 

She put her hand to her chin, as if thinking about what he said, and then responded, “Okay.  Grandpa, I’m hungry.”  

 

Her grandfather frowned and said, “Celeste, I’m sorry but I don’t have any food with me.  Can you wait until we go to the food court?”  

 

Celeste whispered, “I don’t think so Grandpa.”  

 

Hesitantly I interrupted and said, “Sir, if you don’t mind I have a new package of soft granola bars and would be more than happy to share them with your granddaughter.”  

He responded and said, “Oh no that’s perfectly alright.  We will purchase something shortly at the food court.”

 

Celeste took her grandfather’s hand and said, “Please Grandpa, I’m hungry now.”

 

I took the package from my purse.  You could clearly see that it had not been opened.  I gave it to the man and turned and started to walk away.

 

“Miss, thank you for your thoughtfulness,” he said.  Celeste also thanked me.

 

“You are both quite welcome.  Enjoy your visit.  Good bye.”  I turned and did walk away this time.  I needed to make it back to my hotel.  I have an early day tomorrow.  I will take the Eurostar to London to continue my vacation. I will join, in London, an escorted tour of the Great Britain, Ireland and Scotland.  Quite looking forward to this vacation time. Meeting new people, seeing new things, trying new foods and just relaxing being away from home.

 

Did I say already? Oh I don’t think that I did. My name is Alessandra Monahan and this is my story.

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

She has no idea how that brief encounter will impact her life.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.