Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Attorney Evangeline Williamson in all of her glory.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

 

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended

 

 

 

 

 

The Confrontation a JOVAN Story    REVISED

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 2    The Dragon Released

 

 

 

 

 

My, my, my how things have changed since the discovery that the John Doe in Statesville prison is really Christian Vega.  Here’s what happened after Evangeline left John’s apartment after confronting him about the DNA test results.

 

---------------------------------------------------------  

 

 

 

You’ve released the dragon John. How you like me now?’ I think about what just happened in John’s apartment when I confronted him about the DNA test results.  The nerve of him trying to dismiss me with that ‘it has nothing to do with you’ nonsense or the even crazier, ‘you can’t do this to Natalie’.  Once again he’s trying to ‘protect’ Natalie. You would think that the woman is two years old and can’t think for herself.  Well she really can’t think for herself but she’s definitely not two years old.  Anyway that is not my concern.  Right now I have to think about getting a wrongly convicted man released from prison.  So what if John loses his job along the way.  Let justice be served.

 

 

 

I make it back to my office and start working on my motion to have Christian released to St. Anne’s for a psych evaluation and to have his conviction overturned.  I also will file a motion to have John brought up on charges for obstruction of justice.  He withheld vital information in a court case that resulted in the wrongful conviction of a man. Even if I have to work all night on this I will have it done by morning to present to the Assistant District Attorney Hugh Hughes.  I do need to consider my involvement in the DNA testing though and must protect myself against any fall back from that.  I finish the motions and decide to handle the DNA test thing tonight.

 

 

 

I call Antonio and ask to meet with him and his mother at her diner.   I arrive and sit with them at a booth in the back.  I explain to them the information that I have on Christian and my involvement in the DNA test.  I apologize to Carlotta for taking her sample without her approval and tell her that I made face charges regarding my involvement in obtaining an unauthorized sample.  She dismisses my apology and takes a piece of paper and writes on it that she releases me from any culpability in obtaining the sample.  She has two of her patrons to sign as witnesses.  I thank her for that and go on to tell them that I am working to have Christian released to St. Anne’s for psychological examination and to have his conviction overturned.  Antonio interjects that he will retain me to represent his brother.  He doesn’t want me to do this as pro bono simply because I obtained the sample for the DNA.  With that done I tell them that I will let them know when Christian is released and arrange for them to see him.  I apologize again and return to my office to file Carlotta’s statement with the motions that I will present in the morning.  

 

 

 

Once back in my apartment I shower off the dust of the day and prepare for bed.  I go to the kitchen for a warm glass of milk and just as I exit I hear a knock on my door.  I go to the door and look through the peephole and see Natalie standing there.  Hesitantly I open the door.

 

 

 

“What do you want Natalie?”

 

 

 

“What did you do to John?  After you left he wouldn’t talk to me.  What did you say to him to upset him?  Are you doing this because he loves me and doesn’t love you?”

 

 

 

“Natalie I can’t answer your question as to why John won’t talk to you.  He’s the only one who can do that.  Your relationship with John is not my concern. I removed myself from any involvement with John months ago.  Now I have a busy day tomorrow so if you will excuse me I would like to go to bed.”

 

 

 

“Evangeline leave John and me alone.  He doesn’t want you.”

 

 

 

“For once I agree with you Natalie and with that I will say good night.  And please do not come here again.”

 

 

 

“Don’t worry I won’t as long as you leave us alone.”

 

 

 

I close the door and return to the kitchen.  I drink my milk, wash the glass and put it away. Once again I hear a knock at my door.  What is this tonight? Am I Grand Central Station?

 

 

 

I check the peephole and there stands John McBain.  I open the door and stand in the doorway. I don’t want him in my apartment. Thinking back I should have done the same thing to Natalie.  Now I need to air out my apartment.

 

 

 

“What do you want John?”

 

 

 

“Are you going to pursue this Evangeline?  Why can’t you leave it alone?  Christian did kill Tico Santi so he’s not innocent in all of this.”

 

 

 

“John I will not discuss this with you in the middle of the night.  I have a busy day ahead tomorrow and I really need my sleep.  Please leave now and don’t return.”

 

 

 

“Are you so bitter that you would do this?  How will this affect Carlotta and Antonio?”

 

 

 

“Oh now you think about Carlotta and Antonio.  You should have thought about them when you first received those DNA test results.  Good night John. I’m tired.”

 

 

 

I close the door in his face and go to my bedroom to sleep.  The nerve of some people.

 

 

 

 

 

Oddly enough morning comes and I am well rested.  I dress in my power suit and head for court. I meet ADA Hughes in his office and we meet and talk for a good hour.  He understands and agrees with my motions and we head to court.  The judge rules in my favor on both motions. Christian is released to St. Anne’s and after the psych evaluation the judge will overturn his conviction. I arrange for Antonio and Carlotta to visit Christian at St. Anne’s.  John is arrested for obstruction of justice.  The judge waives jail time for him but he is suspended from the police force until further notice.  The judge does criticize for my involvement in the DNA testing but Carlotta’s statement lessens the harshness of his criticism.  I take note to never do such again.  The judge, surprisingly, compliments on pursuing this case in the cause of justice.  He says that the system needs more dedicated attorneys like me. I thank him and leave the court feeling satisfied with the results.

 

 

 

Neither John nor Natalie darken my door again and for that I am grateful.  I don't ask about him and no one talks to me about him.  Oh wait.  I take that back.  His brother Michael did confront me about his brother's suspension from the police force.  He asked me why did I do that to John.  I told him that he did not have all of the facts and John's punishment fit the offense.  With that I ended the conversation and went on my way.

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

How do you like her now!  The lady is not playing. 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.