Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Evangeline and John share the news of their engagement.  Will the reactions go as expected?

Thnx to those who voted on whether to continue the story.  As you can see we opted to continue.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

After careful consideration we decided to continue the story.  Many will ask why/how Evangeline so readily agreed to reconcile with John.  All will be revealed.  There’s more to their story.

 

 

We Can’t Be Friends a JOVAN story

 

Chapter 2    The Reveal

 

Evangeline woke up the next morning to a bright sunny day.  It was just the kind of day to match her mood.  She rubbed her eyes and stopped and stared at the sparkling jewel on her ring finger.  She smiled.  She got out of bed and completed her daily routine in the bathroom and then sat on the chaise in her bedroom.  She thought to herself,

 

‘As happy as I am right now I know that dark clouds are on the horizon when I tell my family and friends about my engagement to John.  They will question me on why in the world would I take him back after all that he put me through.  They will say that he never even apologized for what he did.  But he did apologize to me, twice.  He apologized that the Killing Club Killer kidnapped me because I was associated with him and he apologized for hurting me when we talked at the police station after the prison riot.  But what they don’t and won’t understand is that even if he never apologized it wouldn’t change what happened to me and to us.  It happened and can’t be changed by an ‘I’m sorry’. 

 

Even more important is after having survived two, not one but two, near death experiences I don’t care about the past.  I’m firmly planted in the present and looking straight ahead to the future.  If anyone had endured what I have in the past few years and now had a chance at happiness would they refuse it, would they turn it down?  No they wouldn’t and neither will I.  I love John McBain.  I love him and I will marry him and have a great life with him and I don’t care what anybody else says.  This is my life to live as I choose and I will not be plodded or pushed into doing anything I don’t want to do or live my life like someone else wants me to live it.

 

Now self, now that we have had this conversation with ourselves let us get our butts up and get started on this day.’

 

I took a cleansing breath, shook my head, said a prayer and got up and prepared some breakfast.  John will arrive soon.  We decided to have breakfast together to strategize on how we will break the news to our family and friends.

 

I decided to cook pancakes, eggs and sausage.  We will need our strength to make it through this day.  John arrived as soon as I finished cooking.  I had left instructions at the front desk for them to allow him access once he arrived.  He rang the bell and I rushed to door.  I flung it open and he grabbed me and backed me into my apartment.  He planted on me one of his “hold me close don’t let go let me kiss you forever’ kisses and I melted into him.  We came up for air he smiled and said, “Good morning.”

 

“Good morning to you too John.  How did you sleep?  Are you ready for today?  You know we will get blasted and everyone will question my sanity and will try to convince me not to do this.  Are you ready for the blast what will come your way?  You can back out now if you want, it’ll be too late once we tell everybody.”

 

“Evangeline all I want is you.  Let them bring on whatever they want, let them sling their arrows and throw their darts for if at the end of it all I still have you then it will be worth every blow that I endure and everything that they throw my way.  I’ll tell you something.  I lost you once because of my stupidity.  I almost lost you twice because someone wanted to hurt me by hurting you. Worst of all I almost lost you forever because someone thought they were better than you and that you didn’t deserve to live.  Well I will not allow anyone to take you from me ever again.  I will fight anyone and everything to keep you with me.  Nothing short of death will part me from you.  Do you understand me?  I don’t care what anyone else thinks, says, or does the only person whose opinion matters to me is your opinion.  I love you Evangeline don’t ever forget that.”

 

“Golly John for a guy who doesn’t know how to express himself you did a good job right then. I agree John it’s you and me against the world.  Now before we call our respective families and friends, tell me about this job you have and when and why did you leave Llanview?  You quit your job with Bo?”

 

“When I heard that you were leaving and didn’t want anyone to know I told you what I did.  I staked out Nora’s place and followed you.  When I saw where you were headed I couldn’t believe that in all the places in the world you could go you would choose this town.  I called one of my old FBI friends and asked about any job openings.  Just so happened that one of their supervisors had just retired and they were looking for someone to take his place.  I had kept in touch with my friend over the years and we talked on the phone while I was following you to your apartment.  As soon as you and Nora went in and unpacked the car and I was certain that this was where you were staying I asked my friend to put my name in for the job opening.  I had a copy of my resume in my briefcase in my car so I went to a local FedEx store and faxed it to him.  He gave it to human resources who verified my information.  I asked him not to talk with Bo because Bo had no idea that I had left.  My friend instead vouched for me as a job reference.  They offered the job to me and I accepted.  My friend knew someone with a vacant furnished apartment for temporary lease and I have a place to stay until I get my bearings and find something on my own.  So you see it was meant to be.  I called Bo yesterday and quit.  He understood and didn’t ask me any questions.  It was funny though he said that when Nora told him that you were leaving he thought to himself that it wouldn’t be long before I left town also because there was really nothing holding me there.  So he knew when I didn’t know just how important you are to me.  I’m a slow learner but I learn.”

 

“John that is the most romantic thing I have ever heard even though it is borderline stalking, I’ll take it and you. All right let’s get the worst over with first.  Let’s call my mother.  I will put the call on speaker so that you can hear both sides of the conversation.  Here goes nothing.”

 

“Evangeline relax.  What’s the worst that she can do?  And if she does it will not change anything between us.  I know that you want your mother’s blessing but will you refuse to marry me if she doesn’t give you her blessing?

 

“No John nothing will stop me from marrying you I just want her to be happy for me because I am happy with you. Can you understand?

 

“Yes I understand let’s just call her and talk with her.  Maybe she will surprise us and accept our decision.  We’ll never know until we try.”

 

“You’re right,  ‘The only thing we have to fear is fear itself’ as FDR said.  Let’s do this.”

 

Ring, ring, ring…

 

“Hello”

 

“Hi mom it’s Evangeline. How are you? I’m fine mom.  I’m all settled in.  The apartment is great.  I decided on the job that I wanted and I start in two months.  They allowed me that time to acclimate myself.  Everything is great?”

 

“Well baby I’m glad to hear that.  I’m so happy that things are working out for you.  I’m even gladder that you left Llanview.  That place was nothing but bad news for you. Now you’re in a new place and starting a new chapter in your life I’m just so sorry that you’re so far away.”

 

“Mom I am not that far away.  Anything over a two hour drive is far away for you.  You don’t have to drive you can always fly or take the train.  Now that we’ve done the small talk I have some big news for you.  I’m getting married.”

 

“What do you mean you’re getting married?  To whom? You just moved to that town you haven’t had time to meet anyone or did you already know this person and that is why you moved to that particular town?  Evangeline what’s going on?”

 

“Mom there is no nefarious plot afoot here.  No I didn’t have anyone here waiting for me.  The person I’m going to marry I met a few years ago.  We knew each other then but the timing wasn’t right.  We’ve both changed for the better and we’re now ready to make that commitment.  He asked me to marry him and I accepted. I’m calling to let you know and to ask for your blessing.  But mom I need you to know something before you answer.  I love him and I will marry him with or without your blessing.  I have almost died twice and the next moment is not promised.  I want to have my happiness now mom.  I want my love now mom.  Can I have that?  Can you be happy for me mom, please?”

 

“Evangeline is it John McBain?  Are you marrying John McBain?  And before you answer let me say this.  Evangeline I know that you’ve been through some horrendous times and yes you do deserve happiness.  I want you to be happy baby.  Although I may not approve of John you were happy with him and you really did love him. I know that you’ve changed.  You couldn’t help but change after all you’ve been through.  If you believe that John can give you the happiness that you so much deserve then what kind of mother would I be to stand in your way.  I will always support you Cookie and I will always want the best for you.  Not that I consider John the best but it’s not my opinion that counts, it’s yours.  So if I’m not mistaken I guess I must say congratulations to you and John.  I’m sure that you have this call on speaker so John I give you my blessing to marry my daughter.  Treat her well or you will have me to answer to me and I do bite.  I know that you’re both surprised that I acquiesced seemingly so quickly but I don’t want to cause Evangeline any more hurt than she has already endured.  Cookie don’t worry about anybody in the family giving you a hard time.  I will take care of them.  Just call when you start wedding planning.  I would like to be a part of that.  Cookie let me talk with John privately.”

 

“Okay mom I will but let me first say thank you so much for understanding and for giving us your blessing.  It means more to me than I can say.  I love you mom.  Here’s John.”

 

“I love you too baby.”

 

“Yes Mrs. Williamson, I’m here.”

 

“John I want you to know that I was tempted to resist this but I know how determined Evangeline can be and I really don’t want to stress her out. She’s had enough troubles to last a lifetime.  I assume that you’ve told Evangeline that you love her and there is no one else fighting for your attention.”

 

“Yes I have told Evangeline that I love her and only her and no there is no one else fighting for my attention.  Mrs. Williamson I want to apologize to you for the hurt that I caused your daughter.  I was a complete idiot and a cad.  During my therapy sessions I was able to discover and eliminate those things that kept me bound and prevented me from fully committing to Evangeline.  I have changed for the better and every day I will love your daughter and I will give her no reasons to doubt my love for her.”

 

“That’s all that I ask John. If you love her as you say then you will support and encourage her and take care of her.  I know that she is strong willed and may talk tough about how she can take care of herself and she doesn’t need a man but that’s talk.  We all want somebody.  It’s not that we need them but we want them.  Be that strong man for her John.  You don’t have to walk in front of her or she doesn’t have to walk in front of you, walk side-by-side supporting each other.  Do that and you will do well.  I will talk with you again.  Let me say  goodbye to Evangeline.”

 

“Thank you Mrs. Williamson.  I will remember what you said.”

 

“Mom”

 

“Evangeline be happy baby.  That’s all that I want for you.  Don’t forget to call me when you start wedding planning and I promise that I will listen and not try to bulldoze you into what I want.  This is your day and your life.  Grab that happiness and hold it tight because it can vanish so quickly.  I’m happy that you’re happy.  I love you Evangeline.”

 

“I love you too mom and thanks so much for not giving me a hard time.  I know that you don’t like John but I love him and I’m glad that you allow that I love him to outweigh your dislike of him.”

 

“Evangeline that’s all in the past.  We are now in a new day.  John will soon be a member of the family and we support family, that’s the Williamson way.  You may marry a McBain but you will always be a Williamson.  Now go and spend time with your fiancé.  My baby’s getting married!  Wait until I tell your Uncle Clay!  Don’t worry I’ll let him know that he’s not to give you or John a hard time.  I’ll talk with you soon.  Bye now.”

 

“Bye mom and thanks again so much.”

 

“Wow do you believe that?  She actually understood and gave us her blessing.  I am so happy right now John. I woke up thinking that talking with my mom would bring dark clouds on this sunny day of mine but she made the sun shine brighter.”

 

“She loves you Evangeline.  She wants you to be happy.  She and I have that in common.  Come on I’ll clean up the kitchen and then we’ll call my mother.  I need to come down from this emotional rollercoaster that I was feeling while talking with your mother.  She did surprise me with her response but it was a good surprise.”

 

John cleaned up the dishes from breakfast, washed, dried and put them away.  He then returned to the living room where he found Evangeline on the couch writing in a notepad.”

 

“What are you doing, making a list of people we need to call or things we need to do to get ready for this wedding.  You know that I want to get married as soon as possible.  I don’t want anything to get in the way of our being together.  Speaking of which where do we plan to live after we’re married?”

 

“John hold that thought.  Let’s finish the telephone calls and then we will have the rest of the day to talk about those things.  The sooner that we finish these calls the better I will feel. Okay?”

 

“Okay.  Let me call my mother.  I will put it on speaker so that you can hear both sides of the conversation too.”

 

Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring.  ‘You have reached…’

 

“Hello, hello don’t hang up.  I’m here.  Hello John is that you?

 

“Yes, hi mom.  How are you?”

 

“I’m fine I just walked in the door.  I went out to get some coffee.  To what do I owe the pleasure of this early morning call.  You usually only call me after work.  What’s up?

 

“Everything’s fine mom.  Even better everything is great.  I’m getting married!”

 

“Married John.  Don’t tell me that you’re marrying Natalie John!  She’s not the one for you.  She’s too immature John.  Darling please think about this.  She’s a nice girl and all but that’s what she is a girl.  You need a woman John.  Someone who can challenge you.  All that you and Natalie do is argue.  She always wants things her way.  She’s too needy John.  You need someone strong.  Someone who can challenge you and keep you on your toes.  John? John? Are you there?

 

“I’m here mom can I get a word in edgewise?  Mom I’m not marrying Natalie.  I asked Evangeline Williamson to marry me and she accepted.”

 

“Evangeline Williamson?  You mean the young lady to whom you gave my pearls?  But John you two broke up years ago.  How did this happen?”

 

“I love her mom.  I think that I’ve always loved her but I had all of that stuff with dad and Caitlin holding me back from really seeing what she meant to me.  Mom, I didn’t love Natalie.  I was with her because it was easier to be with her and not commit than to be with Evangeline and commit if that makes any sense.  But I don’t need Natalie as a crutch anymore.  I can stand on my own now and I want to stand with Evangeline.  She left Llanview and so did I.”

 

“You left Llanview John?  You never said anything about leaving Llanview.  Why John?  You had a good job.  Even if you’re not with Natalie you had built a life there why did you leave?  Does your brother Michael know that you left?  If he knew that you were leaving and didn’t tell me I will have his hide.”

 

“No mom, Michael doesn’t know that I left.  Evangeline left and I followed her.  There’s nothing for me in Llanview.  Be happy for me mom.  I love Evangeline and I want to spend the rest of my life with her.  I want that family that you and dad had mom. I want that life.”

 

“Oh John I’m happy for you if you are happy.  Marriage is a big step but I’m sure that you know that.  Is Evangeline there now?”

 

“Yes Mrs. McBain I’m here.  I love John Mrs. McBain and I want a life with him.”

 

“Oh dear, I am so happy for you two.  You have been through a lot these past few years so you know to treasure each other.  Let me know when the wedding will take place and I will be there with bells on my toes.  John have you told your brother?

 

“No mom.  I wanted to tell you first.  We just spoke with Evangeline’s mom. I’m not really her favorite person so we thought that we would tackle that hurdle first so don’t feel slighted mom that we called her first.”

 

“No dear I don’t feel slighted in the least. That was smart to get the hard part over first.  Okay now that we have that matter resolved I will leave you two to your planning.  Will the wedding take place soon?

 

“Yes mom it will.  We will work on that as soon as we finish these notification calls for lack of a better term.  The big ‘reveal’ is more like it.”

 

“All right then I won’t detain you any longer.  I love you John and welcome to the family Evangeline.”

 

“Thank you mom I love you too.”

 

“Thank you Mrs. McBain.  We will talk with you soon.  Good bye.”

 

“Good bye you two.”

 

“Two surprises in one day. That went better than I thought.  I didn’t know that she felt all that about Natalie.  Well that’s done whom do we call next?”

 

“John I think that I should handle the next two calls alone.  I need to call Nora and Todd.  You can call Michael by yourself.  Nora might not put up much of a fuss but Todd will be another story.  Don’t look at me like that. What’s with that look?

 

“Evangeline I’m sure that you know that Todd has feelings for you and not just ‘friendly’ feelings.”

 

“John that may be true and at one time I had more than ‘friendly’ feelings for Todd but Todd isn’t completely over Blair and as long as those two are in the same town there’s no way that Todd can commit to anyone else.  I left all of that behind when I left Llanview.  Todd will understand.  I need him as a friend more than I need him as a lover.”

 

“If you say so Evangeline.  Let me go call Michael now while you make your calls.”

 

John went into the kitchen to make his call to Michael.  Michael was surprised that John just up and left town but he was not surprised that he was marrying Evangeline.  “It’s about time you got over yourself and remedied that grand mistake of letting her go.  She’s the best thing that ever happened to you John.  I’m happy for you.  Just let me know when the wedding is and Marcie and I will be there.”  John thanked Michael and hung up.

 

When he entered the living room Evangeline was on the phone with Todd.  He heard her part of the conversation and deduced that Todd wasn’t any too happy about the news but by the end of the conversation they agreed to disagree and Todd would receive notification of the day and time of the wedding.  

 

“I just want you to be happy Evangeline and if you think that McBain can do that for you then go for it.  I don’t want to lose your friendship.  You’re the only friend that I have.”

 

“You won’t lose my friendship Todd. As it is you’re really like a brother to me.  What’s that line from the movie, ‘a brother from another mother’?  I love you Todd Manning.”

 

“I love you Evangeline Williamson.  Good bye.”

 

“Good bye Todd. I will talk with you soon.”

 

“Are we done now.  How was the call to Nora?”

 

“Short and sweet.  She gave her congratulations and said it was about time that you got your head out of the ground and claimed me.  Whatever that means.  Anyway she’s fine.  I asked her to be my maid of honor and she agreed.  I will call her in a few days.  How did it go with Michael?”

 

“He pretty much said the same thing that Nora said.  How come they could see what I couldn’t see?  It doesn’t matter now.  We are getting married Evangeline Williamson?”

 

“Yes we are John McBain.”

 

 

A/N:  Wedding plans to make.

 

Thnx to those who voted for the story to continue.  Thnx for reading and if you read do give some feedback with a review.






Chapter End Notes:

Thnx for reading.  Enjoy!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.