Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

When Ace made it to his car, his attention was drawn to the vibration against his thigh. Pulling out his phone as he tossed his bag in, he silenced the event reminder he had programmed in for today. Looking at the time, he saw that the meeting with Terrance had ran longer than he intended. Whipping his car through the streets, he hurried to the luncheon being held by an Olympic Committee that focused on volunteering for sports associations throughout the world. By having an official training center in the city, the local association tended to have plenty of star power to help bolster the work they took on.

This was one of many end-of-year events Ace was given a press pass to attend and after learning the guest list and speakers for today, there was no way he would miss out on being there. Pulling out a brush from his bag, Ace carefully eyed himself in his rearview mirror as he freshened up. Weaving in and out of traffic, he smiled to himself as he realized there was one thing he and Terrance shared.

An obsession with any and everything Nayely Polite.

When Terrance walked into the restaurant, Ace was able to play his unsuspecting role well, as if he didn't know exactly who the inquiring man was. It wasn't Terrance's own history as an athlete that drew Ace to him, but his relation to Nayely. In all honesty, Ace couldn't careless about the sports world. He was never drawn to it even as a kid. He couldn't keep count of how many teams his parents had forced him to join only to find out that their son was selective in what he gave his energy to. If something couldn't capture his heart, he had no problem detaching himself from it. After spending thousands of dollars coaxing the young boy into finding something to commit to, it took a single life changing discovery in his father's office to finally see their child embrace his first true interest.

Ace's mother and father foolishly believed that he was inspired to write after finally understanding and appreciating the work they had done as published psychology professors. They couldn't have fathomed the spark that began the slow burning fire he kept hidden inside.

The faster he drove, the more he could feel the heat from the flames licking at his face.

 

"Press? Right this way." Ace followed in behind the group of journalists who filed into the extravagant banquet hall. Music befitting of the season created background noise as attendees gathered to greet each other. As he walked past, he could hear conversations between old friends and future business partners stir up, none of which interested him. It was until he heard the whispering of his peers, who tended to shy away from him as he remained a mystery among them, that he took a moment to truly listen in.

"No one's got eyes on her just yet. Who knows if she'll even show up."

"I would want to save face after that announcement too. I honestly believe they're just trying to make a big show out of this whole thing. Why not keep it under wraps and change out management that way?"

"If Nayely sits this out, then she would only be digging herself a hole. People are going to get suspicious and then we'll have to do the dirty work." Ace pivoted towards the smiling journalists as they kept to themselves. His hands would be the only ones to touch any story covering Nayely. If they knew what he had been propositioned with, then they'd know just how filthy they already were.

The closer he got, the stiffer the two became. Taking a once over of the man and woman who stood before them, Ace noticed the way they tried to hide behind their large fashionable glasses, ignoring his overwhelming presence to the best of their abilities. Though they were his seniors in the field, there was an intimidation factor that came with meeting Ace, that even put some lifelong veterans on edge.

"Don't bet on there being something to dig up. Nayely will be here, just as normal. Besides, for someone like her, I'm sure articles on her ditching the event of the year she's become a poster child for would hurt much more than gossip on why there's a change of management in her team. Let's make sure we put out work that counts for something."

"You sound so sure of yourself. How do you know she's even going to be here? My sources say had it not been for Terrance, she'd just be known as a famous recluse. There's no telling how much we'll even see of her now that he's jumped ship." The male reporter squared his shoulders to show that he wouldn't back down from the new kid on the block, despite how good he was.

"Your sources?" Just then, a familiar feeling overcame Ace as his eyes slowly moved to the entrance." Your sources may want to reevaluate their facts." The redness that settled on the other journalists' faces disappeared from Ace's sight as they quickly turned to get as far away from him as possible.

Looking to the designated spaces for the press, he watched as they began to snap photos of the athletes as they arrived with Nayely leading the pack. Ace pushed his hands into his pockets as he watched her walk in his direction. She graciously greeted those who called out her name, and even waved down familiar faces she found in the crowd. After all of the years he had spent analyzing her every move, he could tell that this was an intentional effort to keep both feet on the ground. Nayely's personality was never one that would place her as the initiator during public appearances. The only time he had seen her take such charge in socializing during events was when she worked with children.

At times like that, she flourished and could be herself. It was obvious to Ace that at this moment, Nayely was attempting to harness that same energy to make it through today. A normal bystander would easily be fooled into thinking that the smiling and conversations she engaged in came with no difficulty. Ace's suspicions were proven even more when Nayely came to stand face to face with him for the first time ever. Ace paid no mind to the fact he blocked the way as he stood smack dab in the middle of the room.

Her eyes studied his face, anticipating that he too would demand for the energy she struggled to maintain. However, when he remained silent, drawing the eyes of others around them, Nayely's happy façade began to falter. For a brief moment, Ace watched as her eyes lost the ingenuine shine she entered the room with. If he wasn't mistaken, he could see her release a breath he was sure accounted for the way her fists balled at her side. He didn't know if that quick slip was due to relaxation, or preparation for what would follow. When she made to move around him, Ace's legs involuntarily moved in the same direction, blocking her.

He just needed one more moment to take in what Nayely looked like up close and personal. He had only seen her from a protected distance or in the film of pictures he kept organized in his closet. He hadn't realized that his neutral face that was always presented to the world changed the longer he stared. He offered Nayely a glance into a side of him no one ever saw. The knitted brows and unreadable expression on his face concerned the woman at Nayely's side.

"Just keep going." He heard her encourage Nayely who had also become fixated on the man before her.

"Do I know you?" Nayely couldn't help but to ask even as Mya's hand pulled at her elbow.

"Nayely, he's the press. I'm sure he's been around before." She noted, pointing to the badge around his neck.

"No-it's not that. Have we met before?" Nayely shook the suggestion away as deep down she knew this wasn't a simple case of running into a familiar face. As she measured him up, she tried to place him in her memory, as an off-putting feeling nipped at her.

Ace offered her nothing as he tilted her his head with hers when she became deep in thought. Nayely didn't know when her pulse had picked up, but she suddenly found herself breathing heavily as she began to understand what this man made her feel.

Fear? That didn't make sense.

An eerie feeling told Nayely that she had once stood before a person with the same presence as this man. The only memories she had of anything similar were locked away in a place she never spoke of.

"I'm sorry, I must have mistaken you for someone else. Excuse me." She finally found her voice again, as well as the masked smile she had lost. Looking to Mya, she assured her that she was okay and carefully took her leave to become lost within the growing crowd. There were rounds to make, she couldn't waste anymore time. The sooner she could get through this, the sooner she could begin picking up the mess that had been made.

Ace could feel the curious eyes that looked to him from all corners of the room. As things seemed to resume, he made his way to his seat, biding his time as the event began. He had caught the look of confusion on Nayely's face which only served to anger him. It wasn't the look he had wanted from her.

Have we met before?

How could she not realize who he was? Event after event, appearance after appearance, race after race, he had always been there for the last ten years-- how could she ask him such a question? Surprising anger fanned the flames of his inner fire as he realized that Nayely had no idea who he was, that he even existed.  After all the work he had spent learning and watching her, Ace deserved to be recognized.

 

 

"Are you sure about this, man?" Khalil placed his hands on his hips as he watched MJ thank the moving men as they down the last box in his new loft aparment.

His return home had gotten off to a rough start. While he was supposed to spend his time resting and recovering, he was hounded day in and day out by the paparazzi as they refused to give him space. He knew that by him living in his old community, he would inconvenience the other residents as seedy characters hung around the building, hoping to catch a glimpse of the man.

"I had to do this, Kahlil. I couldn't stay there anymore. Too much has happened for me to live there without losing my mind. I'd rather not end up committed somewhere else for the time being." He said sarcastically.

"Hey, we had to do what we had to do. You know I'm all for the change-I'm just not understanding why you chose this place?" Kahlil took in the apartment that was now MJ's. It was far from any gated community that celebrities chose to live in, which meant there was far less privacy and space.

"What? There's nothing wrong here." Turning around in the space, MJ admired what he saw. The setting sun poured into the living room, highlighting the spiraling staircase that led to the upper level of his new home. "Yeah, it's a lot smaller than the last place, but that's to be expected."

"The space isn't what concerns me. You moved to get away from all the bullshit, but what makes you think they won't find you here? You're just going to hide in plain sight?" Taking a seat on the leather couch, Kahlil tapped his hand on the back. "That may be harder than it seems, MJ."

"The only ones who know where I am are you and Christina. Besides, this isn't an area anyone is really looking for. It's too far from the center of everything. I think this is exactly where I need to be."

"So, you're trying to live an everyday life? I can respect that." Kahlil laughed as he slipped in a thought he couldn't let go of. "You must have liked the set up Nayely had."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about the fact that Nayely's place is less than 15 minutes away from here. Are you going to sit here and tell me that is just a pure coincidence?"

MJ froze as the realization hit him. He hadn't even known that he was subconsciously choosing this apartment with her in mind. As soon as Kahlil mentioned her name, he immediately perked up at the thought of being closer.

"Chill. It's nothing like that." MJ kept his face turned, knowing that the redness that crept along his neck and ears would give him away. "I already told you what the deal was with that."

"With that? You mean Nayely? The girl you iced out of your life for years? The same Nayely then stepped in and saved said life? Your Nayely?"

"Kahlil, chill!" MJ shouted, tired of the prodding." She's not, mine. Why would you even say that?"

"Sorry! Wrong tense! She was yours. Could have still been yours but, hey, you decided a long time ago that wasn't my business." Kahlil would never let up on reminded MJ how alienating it was to have been kept in the dark until he finally gave in. Especially now that things had been set in motion to where a resolution could be on its way.

"I-You-" MJ fumbled with his words, giving up on a comeback." You're about to have the honor of being the first person I kick out."

"You're just saying that, so you can creep down the block and stalk Nayely."

"Man..."

"You know you can call first. No need to hide out."

"Don't you have somewhere to be?"

"Nah, I'm straight." Kahlil made himself more comfortable on the couch as he closed his eyes. Before MJ could give another complaint, he was saved by the alarm for Kahlil's son's basketball game.

"Dang, time to go see Junior ball like his pops, don't want to miss that." Opening the door, MJ waited as Kahlil grunted, making his way to the door.

"You're lucky I've got the confidence of a lion, otherwise we'd have to fight for you low key calling my son trash. He's got time. Practice makes perfect."

"He's finally got the jump ball down pact! That's progress!" MJ called out before shutting the door in Kahlil's face as he prepared a retort. Hearing his friend's laughter on the other side, MJ was ready to enjoy his space alone. Looking around the loft, he wondered if he would be able to make this place his home. He thought about all the energy he lived with these last few years, and how the last thing he wanted was to taint this place.

He had to make this work.

As of now, he was on an indefinite hiatus as projects he was in talks for ending up falling through. If he were to survive this fall from grace, he would need his mind ass clear as possible. Christina was going above and beyond to clean the mess he had made. Guilt still riddled him on how hard she tried to uphold his place.

When he had insisted to get back on the ball and rub noses with as many people as possible, she made it clear she would refuse to work if that was the case. His peace of mind was much more important and whatever she could do without disturbing that was their only option.

"The world can wait, MJ." He had to admit that somewhere in his heart, he was relieved to hear those words. Fear of losing the momentum he had built during this point of his career strangled him some nights. He knew that in the blink of an eye, he could disappear from the public's eye during this break.

MJ popped open a bottle of water he pulled from his fridge as he flicked on the TV he and Kahlil managed to mount to the wall. The activities he usually used to clear his mind would be off limits for a long time. In fact, he may have to let most of them go anyway.

Partying, weekends away for binges-all of that no longer had a place in his life. He could only afford one near death experience in his life.

Cocking his legs to the side, he sipped from his bottle as he watched channels flip past his eyes as he searched for something to capture his attention. Just before he gave up the search, the flash of Nayely's official headshot splayed across the screen.

MJ's thumb hesitated over the off button as he allowed himself to listen to the reporting.

"One thing is for sure, nothing can stop the 12-time Olympic gold medalist, Nayely Polite, not even the sudden departure of her longtime coach, Terrance Thompson." MJ turned the remote in his hand as he listened further.

"The world was first made aware of the split between the famed coach and athlete through Thompson's own website, stating that due to a sudden change in personalities and objectives, their relationship could no longer continue amicably. This has raised the question among many, as the mystery surrounding Nayely Polite in the public eye has always distanced her from her fans."

Nayely with personality issues? MJ's thoughts came to her defense as he could read the implication of the report. His suspicions were proven right as social media posts from random people on the internet began to flood the screen. His chest tightened as he read comments calling her a ‘diva' and ‘full of herself' were displayed for all to see. If these hadn't been seen before, he was sure having them broadcasted on national TV would have them seen. A pang of familiarity hit MJ as he was still recovering from the onslaught of public opinion that were being thrown his way. Eyes fluttering shut, MJ realized that the tightness would only go away if he were to call her. To comfort her.

Moving to his feet, MJ searched for his keys, determined to get away.

"-despite recent events, we can still look forward to seeing Nayely Polite as the host of the upcoming holiday parade. She'll be joined by the likes of fellow Olympians and sports groups from around the state as they kick off the celebrations for the holidays."

MJ didn't realize that as the dates and times for the Christmas parade flashed against the screen, he was committing the event to memory. In seven days, she would be putting herself before the public, hoping that by that time the focus would shift from her personal turmoil that everyone wanted to pry into. Slamming the door behind him, MJ left the loft, intent on exploring his new world.

 

"-and so, I ask you all to join us in the celebration of the many students who have dedicated themselves to their sport and community, by always putting their best foot forward, and leading with the heart of an Olympian." Nayely's blood thumped in her ears as she took her final stand at the podium. The crowd stood to their feet, clapping in unison as the event came to an end. With the closing remarks, Nayely was able to finally breathe a sigh of relief as the room filled with chatter once again.

Shaking the hands of committee members and volunteers, Nayely made her way down from the stage, sensitive to the brown eyes that never left her throughout the day. Even in a crowd this large, she was able to make a sharp turn to catch the mysterious man staring her down. He was the only to remain in his seat at the press table, as everyone else swarmed around. This was beginning to feel unsettling. For a moment, Nayely thought back to Judge Stewart's visit to her home.

Was he connected to him?

Her anxiety levels were high as she suspected anyone new around her. She couldn't afford to be caught slipping.

"Hey, where are you going?" Mya caught Nayely's arm as she saw her seek out a path towards the man who had irked her nerves. Looking around her taller frame, Mya saw that he stared on with no expression, which was very telling based off the information she was able to get on him. As far as the other members of the press were concerned, the relatively newcomer in the journalist circle was named Ace and was known to drudge up insecurities and fears that his peers hid deep down. No one had a nice word to say about the young guy, and Mya had no intentions of letting Nayely near him.

His sudden approach earlier just didn't sit right with her.

"Huh?" Nayely turned, broken from the spell she was under. The small smile on Mya's face brought one to her own. "Oh, yes. There are a few more people to meet with, right?"

"Right. We haven't had a chance to speak with Davis's team. There's definitely some hope in getting hooked up with someone who can pick up where you-know-who left off." Though it was still early in the transition process, both women had found it frustrating that many of the emails and calls that had been made in the wake of Terrence's stunt had gone unanswered. To say there wasn't a sense of urgency in getting a response would be a lie, as even during the luncheon there was a standoffish nature with many of the people who could help Nayely in her situation. All the smiles and handshakes were just for show.

She could feel their apprehension to dwell on conversation that dared to venture past niceties appropriate for the occasion. Nayely was no fool.

If she couldn't get their digital response, she would have to get it face to face.

If she were to be blacklisted, then it'd be better to know up front. They owed her that much.

 

It's not over, girl. We got this! I'm going to stay on their ass until someone steps up and stops being a bitch for the Thompsons.

Tossing her phone aside, Nayely had reached her limit. She knew that Mya meant well, but for now, she couldn't stand to think of the way she was shunned by individuals she had once respected. She could still see the sweat that trickled down one's forehead as she made mention of being on the market for a new trainer.

"Unbelievable." Nayely muttered as she opened her refrigerator. She didn't know if the comment was about all the ass kissing she had to endure, or the fact that her kitchen was nearly bare of food.

With her heels in hand, she made work to remove the dress that hugged her curves. If she couldn't solve her trainer issue, then she could at least get some food for her to gorge on while she had the chance.

 

"Excuse me." MJ shifted his cart down the aisle of the nearby grocery store. When he had first entered, he had kept on his dark sunglasses even as the sun outside began to disappear. As he looked around to the faces of everyday people who seemed content and much more relaxed than he was used to, he felt more comfortable in showing his face. After a while, he was happy to find that having his face exposed wouldn't be to his own detriment as he blended in with the families and singles who browsed the aisles.

The woman who carried a heavy hand basket stepped to the side at the sound of MJ's voice. She moved without thinking, stumbling into another overfilled cart as all her items splayed out on the ground.

"Shit." He could hear the small mutter of pain as she picked her foot up from the ground. Turning around to help pick up the pieces, MJ's hands gathered up as much as he could.

"Are you okay?" As MJ handed over a box of tea, he was surprised to see the woman drop everything she had and walk away. He hadn't had the chance to catch a look at the woman's face and swiveled his head around in confusion with the other shoppers. Settling everything back into the basket, MJ jogged to the end of the aisle, hoping to give the woman's things back.

"Hey!" He shouted as a figure moving quicker than all others stuck out to him. At the sound of his voice, the woman's head jerked around out of instinct. Her head was nestled in a cloud of dark coils and kinks as they floated away, showing just enough of her face to stop MJ's breath. Nayely's hand went to her bangs, as if to keep them from revealing much more of her face.

While her feet were quick, MJ's were quicker in that moment. He thanked the long lines at the registers from blocking her exit.

Nayely's feet moved in place, as she realized running away was drawing eyes to her. She had been shocked to see MJ crouching before her and knew that she had to leave before his eyes could connect with hers.

Taking a breath, it was clear that was all for naught as he not only saw her but decided it would be a good idea to follow.

MJ watched as she clenched her fists, back going rigid the closer he got. He swore he could feel the heat radiating off her body as he was drawn into her orbit. He stopped himself from reaching for her shoulder as he could feel the emotion behind the words her lips couldn't form.

Don't.

From the side, Nayely's eyes moved from MJ's feet, stopping just before they reached his eyes as she subconsciously nodded her head.

The question she refrained from asking after all this time was answered.

He's okay.

When Nayely reached for the basket she recognized as hers, she was annoyed to feel the resistance to give it up as MJ simply stood there.

"Could you-" She spoke softly, not wanting to offer much more. Tugging the basket, she nearly made everything fall out again. "Please! Please let go." Her voice cracked more than she had wished, sending a sharp slap to MJ as his grip loosened.

"I thought you would need this." MJ offered. His hazel eyes widened when she finally looked to him, a dark look took his breath away.

"Twice." She bit the inside of her cheek as her confusion of his presence nagged at her. "Twice you've shown up where you shouldn't be."

"I know." MJ's words left him immediately, not wanting to miss out on this opportunity he didn't know he needed. He could almost feel the ground shake from the walls that fell around Nayely as her mind began to race. He could see the next words forming on the tip of her tongue before she could even get them out.

"I was just on a grocery run. This-this is the closest one to me." MJ felt anxious as the look on her face deepened.

"How is this the closest one to you? I don't-I don't understand." The apprehension in her words could not be missed.

Clearing his throat, MJ's eyes fell from her knitted brow to the deep dimples that showed only because of her pursed lips.

"Actually," he took a deep breath," I live nearby now. Just moved in this afternoon. I was looking for something new and-"

"What? You need me gone so you can live in peace?" Her words cut him as he knew the bitterness was well deserving. The accusatory tone couldn't be contained as anger built in Nayely, threatening to burn her from the inside out. She couldn't take anymore. Having one man trying to cut her at the knees was enough-she didn't need MJ showing up and forcing her to start her life over again in some new place so that he could be happy.

"No, Nayely. Look I can understand how you feel right now."

"No, you can't!" Nayely stepped close, as her hands shook with rage. "I've lived my life doing exactly what you told me to. I stayed away. I stayed away." She reiterated as peeping eyes passed by."What  happened? Did you get bored and decide to come find me to harass me? Drive me away with guilt?"

"That's not what this is. I just happened to find a place in the area. I needed a change after everything that's happened lately."

"You're a damn lie." Nayely wasn't wanting to hear what he had to say. "You didn't just happen here. Just like you didn't just happen to find my home the last time you stopped by." Nayely's eyes shook as she down played the most recent unexpected visit she had received from MJ. Only she knew just how concerned she had been all this time, unsure of how she could find out what was truly becoming of his recovery. A recovery she had hoped for in her quietest moments.

"I thought that you would have gotten everything you wanted by now. That's what I hoped for at least-whether you want to believe me or not." Nayely found herself admitting. MJ watched as she worried her bottom lip as she mentally reminded herself of a fact that had proven to be true. " Believing in what I say isn't something you're willing to do." She spoke almost to herself.

"Nayely..." Closing her eyes tightly, she had to snuff out the parts of her that wanted to trust in the sincerity she felt when he spoke her name.

"I made out my own little corner in this world so that you could have all that you wanted. I-I've done well. I've learned how to survive in this on my own, but now you keep showing up and it feels like I'm going to have to let go of everything again. "Looking to her feet, Nayely realized that she didn't want to let go of what she had. Not even for MJ. " Can't I have this? Please. If I can't have anything else, I don't care. " Her eyes pleaded with him as it felt like he had swallowed a 50-pound boulder. His stomach fell as he remembered the last time she had stood before him with tears in her eyes years ago. MJ was confused as to why she would ask his permission for such a thing. He had no say-

She was your girl.

Kahlil's words rang throughout his head. In those days, MJ and Nayely did any and everything for each other, as no one else could understand their hearts. Shame filled MJ as he saw that walking away from Nayely hadn't broken the bond he denied. She had continued to hold on to it, fulfilling his demands that he hoped would bring her pain. Now seeing that it had done just that, he felt sick to his stomach.

The hand basket was shoved into MJ's stomach as Nayely no longer had any interest in shopping.

"I've given you all that I can up until now." Shaking her head, Nayely stilled her face. "Just this one last time, can't you give me something in return?"

One last time? The finality of her words caused MJ's mind to race. All the thoughts he had about Nayely merged together, creating a mass of confusion as he felt the need to stop her from leaving him. He had been the one to set the fate of their relationship and had stood by his decision. He had justified it with the death of his mother, using who her father was as the most important reason to keep her form his life. Now here he stood trying to find a way to get her to stay.

"An apology!" MJ stopped Nayely in her tracks as she took his silence as an opening to leave.

She misinterpreted his words, thinking he was asking for her to give the words of remorse.

"An apology? From me? What do I owe you an apology for?" Moving closer, Nayely's eyes shined with tears. "For not hiding myself enough? For living a life I'm actually proud of? For helping you when-"

Her heightened voice became muffled as MJ pulled her into his chest. His head sunk into her hair as he panted against her neck.

She was your girl.

"Forgive me, Nayely." The looks they received as customers and employees maneuvered around the intimate embrace couldn't stop MJ. Feeling the warmth of her body against his brought a pain to his chest that he welcomed, as having Nayely close was what his heart needed this entire time. MJ's arms tightened even more around her shoulders, tucking her head into his neck as their heights matched perfectly. MJ didn't miss the way her lips pressed into his skin.

Craning her head back, Nayely's shock was evident as being in his arms caused her to freeze.

"I don't want you to hide anymore." His hand folded over the warm skin of her neck as her hair tangled around his fingers. "I demanded something of you that I never should have."

"How is that any different from now?" She finally managed to speak up. Pushing away, Nayely could see MJ's face pale from her rejection.

"Don't look at me like that." She warned as a flash of hurt dared to cross his face." I haven't done anything wrong!"

"Forgive you? That's what you want me to do?" Phones began to emerge from the other customers as some began to recognize the couple causing a scene. MJ's senses told him that this wasn't good. The last thing he wanted was for Nayely to be captured and posted online while in the middle of a grocery store, yelling with tears rolling down her face. Tears he had caused. The comfortable cushion Nayely had nestled into was being torn apart now because of him. He did what he knew best.

Grabbing her gently by the arm, MJ guided her through the doors, dropping her basket on a nearby conveyor belt just as the manager of the store began to approach them.

"What do you think you're doing."

"Just come with me, Nayely."

Shuffling past incoming shoppers, MJ wasn't surprised by the strength she found to jerk away from him. He didn't have enough time to see the incoming slap as her hand made contact with his cheek. His head turned violently as his vision was temporarily blurred.

Shaking his head, MJ could feel the built-up tension her slap helped for her to release. When the next hit came, he was able to withstand the hit, keeping his head as steady as possible. Nayely stood astonished by his lack of anger. He stood there with an apologetic look in his eyes, taking the punishment with not a spark of rage. She needed to see that from him... she needed to make sure that after tonight, he would go back to never wanting to see her again.

As her arm cocked back for the third blow, she hesitated as he braced himself. She had yet to feel any satisfaction from the stinging in her palm. His reddened cheek glowed before her as if to taunt her.

"I can't believe you." She spat." You're just going to stand there and make me look crazy? You're the one who wants to switch things up out of nowhere! Are you trying to make me out to be the bad guy again?"

"You've been holding on to a lot, haven't you? You've been trying so hard all of this time."

"Trying?" She scoffed. "I've been doing. Day after day. Year after year." Her voice broke.

"I broke our promise, Nayely." MJ's memories of their first day at the Rose House came forth. He still remembered whispering into her ear, telling her they had to stay together no matter what, only to go on and ignore his own words." I know I'm the reason we couldn't stay together. I lied to myself and to you about what I've wanted all this time. I know that everything that's happened since then can't be undone. But-"

Taking a deep breath, MJ continued as Nayely's puffy eyes waited attentively. "I thought I knew what I needed to get what I wanted. I thought that meant not having you in my life. But-that never changed anything. I thought I'd be happy. I tricked myself into thinking that I was, but it was never true."

 A step closer to Nayely caused her to slide her foot against the gravel, but in the last second, she stopped her retreat.

"I didn't even know until then. Until I came to you." MJ watched as Nayely swayed in her spot.

"You never had to open that door. You never had to call for help-or stay with me until Terrence showed up." He revealed that he had known of her staying by his side while in the hospital. This reveal caused her to turn away, not wanting to acknowledge it. "But you did. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have this chance now, to see and speak with you the way that I am. This isn't how I would have wanted it, but this is all because of me."

"You're the one who's had a second chance at life. Don't forget I'm the one who still has to carry everything you dumped in your first time around."

"I'll do whatever I can, so you don't have to bear it all on your own." As Nayely searched his face for a lie, she was almost disappointed to find none. She needed a reason to end the feud of acceptance and rejection that tugged in her heart the more she spoke to MJ.

Pressing her hand to her temple, Nayely looked to sooth the ache that pounded there.

"You'll have to forgive me. I'm just finding it hard to be the girl who would blindly follow any and everything you'd say. I mean-can you blame me? Look where it's gotten me."

"I never want you hurt in that way again. I don't want you to blindly trust in me-I want to earn whatever I can. I want to do this the right way."

The night fell around them, both forgetting the real reason they had made the trip out in the first place. All they had needed was an answer to a base need, but the moment they crossed paths, a much more innate need took over.

The need for each other.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.