Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you to everyone who has been holding on and looking forward to an update! I'm happy to begin working on this adventure again. Please let me know what you think!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Ace rubbed at his face as he sat back in his office chair. The morning sounds outside of his bedroom window found their way through the cracks of his home. Blinking his eyes, he readjusted them to the lamp light that was now flooded by the incoming sunlight.  This was the third night in a row that he had spent going over his favorite subject.

Nayely Polite.

In his two-bedroom apartment, he had built what some may consider a shrine to the track star. Looking around the smaller bedroom he had converted into his work space, Ace took in the detailed notes and postings that surrounded him. His eyes glanced over the countless photos that decorated the walls and rolling white board that stood in the center of the room. Looking from the handwritten list in his hand to the picture of a trashcan and two people captured in an embrace, Ace stood to place them all together.

Ace stared thoughtfully at the face of MJ Park, an actor he never would have predicted would become a part of his study of Nayely. He had a brief understanding of the man's latest headlines, knowing that his stint in rehab was closely related to the drugs Ace discovered tossed away in Nayely's trashcans.

He was taken back to that day, when he spotted her talking with a man who seemed rather familiar with her. Ace had taken many pictures that day, capturing the license plate of the SUV Nayely reluctantly drove away in after some coaxing from the man visiting her. He had never seen the car before, and when he ran its information, it didn't take much to find its owner.

Running his fingers over the edges of papers neatly stacked in a file container, Ace had found himself stumped with their relation as she was never known for flings-and if she had any-they were kept under wraps that even he couldn't pry apart.

That was until last week.

When Ace had followed Nayely home, he had almost considered calling it a night seeing her heading for her local grocery store. As he sat in his car, peering through the windows of the store from a safe distance, he slunk into his car as a heated conversation unfolded before him between Nayely and MJ. His interest was piqued.

He had quickly pulled out his camera the moment he saw the dark-haired man dragging her out the store. Wanting to capture every moment that he could, Ace only faltered when MJ drew her into a tight embrace.

What was that about?

Sighing, Ace moved through his apartment, ignoring the new text messages from a persistent Terrence.

Update me. ASAP!

This needs to be done. No games.

Ace wondered if this man had anything else to occupy his time. He could tell if he hadn't been clear on the no contact aspect of this project, or if Terrence was stubborn enough to ignore him. He knew they were beyond the best time to strike while the iron was hot and what Terrence had wanted to use as his ammo against the woman would be useless.

Ace had already found all that he could surrounding Nayely's father long before Terrence came into the picture. It was a story he never intended on giving to the man, as it had been a part of his own personal quest.

He had hit a dead end long ago. A fact that frustrated him beyond understanding.

To bring an end to the constant messages and calls, Ace concocted a story he was sure would satisfy Terrence. He didn't know just how the new pieces of the puzzle surrounding Nayely would fit, but after last night, he knew he could put out a great gossip piece to cause trouble for Nayely. If Terrence was serious on bringing her career to its knees, he'd realize that linking her with Hollywood's fallen star, MJ Park, fresh after his stint in rehab would do a lot more damage than revealing her tragic childhood.

This wasn't like Ace-he never tended to give in to the drudges of front page hot topics. Knowing that he was in need of a shower, he picked up his phone, making his decision as he messaged Terrence.

Patience.

Before he could get his day started, he immediately received a call.

"Don't play with me, kid!" Terrence panted into his phone as he completed his morning workout routine. Ace could hear the whirring of the treadmill and the way his feet beat heavily against the machine."I've been patient long enough. When are you going to give up the details on what you've found?

"Listen, this took longer than expected, but I'm sure you're going to get your money's worth. You want to ruin her, right?"

"That's what I paid you for! I'm going to expose all the shit she's tried to hide. It'll make that bitch think twice before stepping to me again." Terrence nearly cheered as Ace held the phone away from his ear.

Looking at his computer, Ace hovered his cursor over the publish button. As his eyes caught sight of the date in the corner of his computer, Ace decided to relay his intentions to the eager man.

"It will be posted later today. You seem like a man who likes to keep his alerts on, just be patient and wait for the update."

"Wait! It's finished? You didn't tell me what you found-"

"You wanted this done as soon as possible, right? I told you to let me do my job, and I'll get you what you want."

"Alright, kid. You've got a lot of shit to say-so why not post it already? What are you waiting for?"

Not bothering to hide his sigh of irritation, Ace all but rubbed his temples as he begged for Terrence to put two and two together.

"The right moment. Today is the parade the committee has put on to honor all the accomplishments they've had this year, right? What better way to embarrass a beloved star than to blast the news of her secret trysts with a bad boy druggie while she tosses out gifts to needy children?" He decided to give Terrence a taste test of the article in terms he was sure would make him happy.

The harsh sounds of Terrence's breathing and his feet squeaking against the treadmill could be heard as he processed what he heard. Anger and jealousy flared in his chest as the idea of Nayely hooking up with someone he wasn't aware of angered him.

"Wait, she's been fucking someone on the low? Who?"

"Hm, not exactly what I said, but when I post the story, you'll learn more. Until then-"

Hanging up the phone, Ace silenced the device as he disappeared into his bathroom. In no time, Nayely would be preparing to meet and greet families from all around, wishing them a happy holiday, completely unaware of the blow that would be dealt.

 

"Here, let me help you." Nayely turned in the driver seat of her car as she allowed Maya to make subtle touches to her face. Focusing on her brows, she shaped the naturally thick arches with light strokes.

"You've got the lip gloss?"

"No, but I've got chapstick." Sucking her teeth, Maya dug in her makeup bag, lightly dusting Nayely's lips with a shimmering color that allowed the natural hues of the plump skin to shine through.

"There, all done. Of course I wish you would have let me put on a full face-"

"No, this is perfect, Maya." Looking into the overhead mirror, Nayley studied her face. Tugging a headband over her ears, she felt herself warm up from her hair that was pressed closely to her face. She felt that it allowed the swelling she experienced from stress to be less noticeable.

"Once we can get a replacement for Terrence, our next goal will be to get you a hair and makeup team. I can hook you up, but how great would it be to have someone there day after day to cut out this stress of looking good?"

"You got hair and makeup team money?" Nayely joked. Looking around her car, there was nothing fancy about her arrival.

"You're so damn cheap." Scrunching up her nose, Maya followed Nayely out of the car as they joined the visitors who swarmed the streets. Some eyes sparkled as they recognized her, while others whispered to their friends and families as she walked past. Nodding politely, Nayely kept her eyes forward as a strange sense crept down her back.

"This is going to be good. The kids from the shoe campaign are going to be here. It will be good to see them again."

"Last I heard, they were trying to figure out who gets to stand where for when the camera crews come out." Nayely recalled the last time she had spoken to the teens after they were offered an opportunity to participate in the parade. They had been more than honored, and for the first time in a while, she found herself happy to be out.

"There! That's where the event director said to meet." Leading the two of them into a secured area, Nayely was aware of the looks she received from staff members.

"This is ridiculous. They're still looking at you like you're the crazy one." Maya was much more comfortable expressing her dislike of the treatment Nayely had begun to receive. "After all of these years of being the best you can be, it takes one little ass rat to flip the script on you."

"The more thought we give to their bullshit, the more power he has. You already know the deal." Placing a reassuring hand on her bicep, Nayely looked down to Maya. "We do what we got to do to get to where we want. Period."

I've got this.

Nayely spoke the words for the thousandth time, hoping that they would feel even more true.

"Nayely!" The duo were surprised to see the event director rushing towards them. The older woman moved quickly in her workout clothes as a member of the committee followed suit. The sound of her name was devoid of a warm welcoming.

If she wasn't crazy, Nayely could hear dread in her voice.

"Katherine." She responded tersely. The way the woman's eyes skittered around the room made her uneasy.

"Yes-hello. I'm glad you're finally here."

"I'm sorry, were we late?" Looking around, Nayely saw that she was one of only a few athletes who were a part of the event. She knew for a fact that she had arrived even earlier than the suggested time.

"No-thank God for that." Katherine folded her arms before her as the recent news she was shown made her anxiety skyrocket as she feared the destruction of the long-awaited parade due to Nayely's present.

"Excuse me?" Maya asked confusedly as she looked to Nayely.

"Is there something to discuss? Last minute changes?" Nayely looked to Katherine and the committee member.

"Indeed, there is, Ms. Polite. Please, come this way." The committee member, Mr. Castillo, turned on his heels, not bothering to wait as he sliced through the growing crowd within the private trailer.

"What's going on?" Maya whispered to Nayely as they stood baffled by their behavior.

Shaking her head, Nayely couldn't imagine a good reason for the way she was being treated. It had been a week since the mess Terrence had caused. While she couldn't get not one trainer to take her calls, she didn't expect there to be a conflict with her obligations that had been set in stone with or without Terrence.

When they were moved into a more secluded room, Nayely watched with suspicion as Katherine closed the door behind them as soon as they stepped foot into the space. Her scowl deepened as Katherine stared her down.

"What seems to be the problem here?"

"Please, have a seat." Mr. Castillo took one on his own, but Nayely did not accept the offer.

"I'm good. Hopefully this won't take too long so we can all get back out there and get things going."

"Actually, that's something we'd like to talk about. There have been some unexpected changes in the last hour." It was obvious to Nayely that whatever they had to say wasn't as simple as which floats she would be on or anything else related to the actual parade activities.

When Nayely remained silent, she waited for the evasiveness to end.

Katherine turned to the committee member and exchanged a nod of their heads. Pulling out her phone, she quickly thrust it towards Nayely and Maya. Scanning their faces, Nayely tried to read them before she saw what was on the screen. The way their eyes avoided her was more than telling.

Taking the phone, Nayely brought it close enough to read with Maya. As Nayely tried to wrap her brain around what she was saw, Maya gasped in horror as she pulled out her own phone.

Pulling up her own browser, Maya confirmed that what they were being shown had become a trending topic across multiple sites in no time.

Snorting Around Town: Is Nayely Polite All That MJ Park Needs in This Life of Sin?

"Would you mind explaining this?" Mr. Castillo looked on sternly as Nayely was at a loss for words.

"I-this is just-" Nayely had no idea how she was to explain way something she had no idea about.

"Complete slander!" Maya finished for her." Sir, there seems to be a misunderstanding here. I don't know who would take the time to write such lies, but this has absolutely nothing to do with Nayely."

"Look, I couldn't care less about any flings of yours, but when an Olympic athlete is being accused of using drugs, I can't simply turn a blind eye. Especially when the parents of the children you're to interact with tonight bombard me with something like this! Do you know how much I had to endure to calm them down?"

"I understand their concerns, but I assure you this is a bogus lie that has nothing to do with me and the work I've done so far. I would never do anything to taint my work. Ever." Nayely held her hands in the air, trying to gauge what Mr. Castillo wanted from her. A confession? That could never happen as there was nothing to confess to.

"I know you, Nayely. The kids love you. The public? They have no idea what to make of you outside of being a world champ. You've had a nearly perfect top star mold cracked in a matter of days. When the question of drugs gets thrown into the mix, I can't ignore their legitimate concern of you representing the committee. If they associate you with cocaine, you think they won't start questioning other drugs as well?"

Nayely shed her stunned and confused daze at the implication of his words. "If your suggesting what I think you are, it would be best for you to abandon that thought right now." The committee member's brow furrowed as he adjusted his shirt. Nayely would not allow even the mention of doping-the greatest taboo in the sports world-to leave his lips.

"Don't be surprised when headlines start accusing you of doping. Once those start to roll in, there will be no end to it and-"

Nayely gripped her fist in the air as she wanted to stop the man from speaking.

"Okay, enough!" She shut him down. Looking to Katherine, Nayely crossed her arms over her chest. "It's obvious the two of you have come to an agreement on how tonight's event will be handled based on these absolute lies. Even if that is the case, I believe I've earned more than enough respect to hear what it is you truly want to say to me."

"You have to understand! We can't have this night shrouded in a scandal-"

"Then be clear about your intentions!" Nayely raised her voice, not knowing that those outside the room who were being filled in on the news were shuffling around quietly, hoping to catch a word of their private meeting.

"You will not host tonight's event, Nayely. I'm sorry to have to tell you this." Mr. Castillo stood before her with a stern look that was met by Nayely's unwavering glare. He had already endured phone calls from more senior members putting a stop on her appearance. Her face would be one of the main ones broadcasted to countless viewers-the last thing they wanted was out roar from the community following tonight.

"This is what you want, sir?" Nayely knew the moment she didn't show her face tonight, it would only fuel the rumors and give people reason to believe them to be true.

"It's not what I want, it's what's been decided to be best for our organization." Maya pressed her palm to her forehead as she took a step back from the group.

"I can't believe this. After the commitment Nayely has put forth to get fundraising, sponsors, and schools to join this event, you're going to push her aside because of this?" Maya stepped forward.

"The most important principle that we ask everyone to abide by is that of integrity. When a case like this is presented where there has been a clear violation, then the committee reserves the right to act as they see fit."

"Integrity? The committee is making a split-second decision based off the rumblings of the online gossip world. How could that make any possible sense?" Maya continued to challenge, now as one of Nayely's closest allies and representatives. The anger that built in her at the unfairness of her sudden dismissal stemmed from her loyalty as Nayely's assistant, as well as one of her good friends. She expressed the anger that Nayely reeled in.

"Maya."

"Since when are rash decisions made in response to unfounded rumors? This is some straight-"

"Maya!" Nayely grabbed her by the shoulder as she reigned her back in. Looking to each other, a quiet moment was shared as another instance of defeat was placed before them." I have teammates out there who have worked just as hard for this parade to come true. I don't have to be here for this to be a success." Turning to Katherine and Mr. Castillo, Nayely took a deep breath.

"This was all supposed to be a celebration for the kids across this state who have worked their asses off this year. This was always about them and I'm not going to allow allegations like this to change that. This is their night." The pain in her chest told Nayely that this turn of events hurt more than she could have imagined.

"I'm glad you understand our position on this." Katherine spoke with relief as she pressed her fingers to her temple. Nayely did a double take at the woman as she tried to decide if responding to her tone was worth it.

"Please, make no mistake. The position the committee has taken is one I reject entirely. If me leaving means that those kids still get a chance to enjoy their night after everything they've accomplished, then so be it." Nayely watched as Katherine's neck blazed red. The woman pursed her thin lips together as a mix of satisfaction and impatience filled her face.

"If you'd like, I can provide you with an escort to avoid any unwanted attention." The committee member offered, finally giving Nayely a reason to exit as she led Maya to the door.

With her hand on the door knob, Nayely fought the urge to let her chin fall to her chest.

"I think I've been insulted enough for one night." Without offering a goodbye, Nayely opened the door and walked away. The heavy stares she felt made it harder for her to move through the crowd. When she heard a familiar voice call out, she closed her eyes, not wanting to show how weak she felt in front of Cheyenne as she came her way.

"Is everything good?" Cheyenne craned her neck around to Nayely's face just before she could plaster a semi comforting smile to keep her friend from worrying. They had spent recent phone calls together catching up after Terrence's departure. Cheyenne was all too aware of the toll things were taking on not only Nayely's emotions, but her career as well. It didn't take long until theories on what Terrance planned to make of her began to travel around their most inner circles.

"Yes. I won't be able to join everyone tonight so-"

"Do not tell me they kicked you out because of some shit they done read on the internet?" Nayely could feel Cheyenne's emotions riling up much like Maya's earlier. Shaking her head from side to side, she let her know it wasn't necessary. She didn't want anyone else to shoulder her problems.

"Don't even worry about it. You just need to get out there, give those kids a good time, and have fun. Do it for me."

With a tight squeeze, Cheyenne acknowledged her request. Pulling Nayely in for a tight hug, she made sure to show everyone else how silly it was to stand off to the sides as if she were a pariah, avoiding Nayely at all costs. She could care less about what anyone else would think. She'd be there anyway she could for the woman she admired.

"I should warn you, though..." Cheyenne said as she pulled away.

"Paparazzi?" Maya asked as she shifted a frown towards the exit trying to see if she could spot the flashing cameras.

"Yes and no. They'll always be nearby, but who gives a damn about them?" Cheyenne's eyes softened as she tipped her head to the door. "A bunch of the kids are gathered outside. I guess they found out too and some of the parents were talking about how they got you kicked out for tonight. They tried to ask me questions when I came in, but I honestly had no idea what was going on."

Nayely's eyes welled at the thought of kids lining up to check to see if she was still here." Thanks, girl." She did feel grateful to have gotten a heads-up as she wasn't sure how she would have reacted to seeing them with no warning.

"I'd rather have the chance to tell them goodbye than to just disappear into thin air."

"We shouldn't even be in this situation, Nayely." Maya sighed.

"But now we have to face it." With a small wave to Cheyenne, Nayely took the long steps to leave the trailer.

The crowd outside had grown in the short amount of time they were there. Attendance was in the thousands, and other than a few cameras pointed her way, Nayely was sure she could slip away easily.

"Nayely!" A chorus of concerned voices could be heard behind the VIP barrier just past the entrance. Seeing all the worried young faces of the athletes she had connected with in preparation for the parade, Nayely made her way towards them. She watched as some were pulled away from their parents while others fought off the forced desertion.

"My mom said you're leaving already. Didn't you just get here?"

"This is messed up, why can't you stay?"

"It's just one night! This isn't fair!" The kids were not afraid to voice their opinions on the situation. There was no way in hiding what she knew they had already read online. If nothing else, she just wanted to be able to see them off despite what was being thrown her way.

"I'm sorry I won't be able to get out there with everyone. I hope you can forgive me for missing out." Putting on a brave face, she hoped that she didn't show her own anger towards the situation.

"It's not your fault." Nayely turned to a face that stepped forward, bypassing the younger kids.

"Candice." The older girl was flanked by the kids who had joined her in the shoe campaign with Nayely. While the others had an anxious look on their face, the older teens looked on with understanding.

"I didn't think we'd get another chance to hang with you like this, and now they've taken that away." Jacquees's red her was covered by a hat he drew closer to his face as he showed his disappointment. Looking to Latisha and Michael, she could see they were all saddened by the sudden change.

"Look, this isn't something any of us here wanted." Nayely ignored the mummers of lurking parents." But I want all of you to bask in tonight. All of this is for you. I wish I could stay, but at least I can get home and watch you on TV."

Silence fell over the group as they came to see that what they hoped to be false was indeed true.

"Well, who's going to take your place?"

"I'm sure there is someone more than capable of stepping up getting ready as we speak. In fact, I think that's something you all should be doing too." Nayely had noticed the cameras being pointed in their direction and didn't want to have children caught up in the photos.

When Candice realized she was trying to make an exit, she quickly grabbed Nayely's arm.

"Well, if you have to go, at least take a picture with us. I could photoshop you into a few but my skills aren't all that great." She smiled. Nayely did not decline the picture as she turned around, facing Maya who took the role of photographer as she grabbed Candice's phone. She waited as everyone got in frame, counting down the picture as they all smiled despite the occasion.

"If y'all don't let me go, I'll never get home in time to watch the parade live! I didn't exactly set my DVR for this..." Nayely groaned playfully as they all wrapped her in a group hug. Saying her goodbyes, Nayely encouraged them to go, not leaving until she was sure they had left the area. Once they were all gone, Nayely remembered what she needed to do.

"Let's get the hell out of here." She whispered.

"You don't have to tell me twice."

 

 

MJ sat in his car as he was able to squeeze into an impromptu parking spot as people passed him by, excited by the festivities ahead.

"What am I doing?" He asked to no one as he took in his surroundings. Holiday lights decorated the streets and guided the crowd towards the parade that was being held. Gripping his lengthier hair, MJ fought with himself as he weighed his options.

He could go in just like everyone else looking to enjoy the event, just to remind himself what it was like to lead a regular life.

Or he could turn around, go home, and forget his not so discreet plan to find a way to run into Nayely once again.

With his hand on the door handle, MJ took a deep breath as he went to make his decision.

As he followed the crowd, he was greeted by the smells of fried food and offers of specialty items from the vendors who sold gifts along the way. Pushing his hands into his pockets, he dipped his face into his collar to protect him from the cool air, as well as avoid being recognized.

The sound of Eartha Kitt's voice brought him to a crowd which happened to hold a few hidden fans of his own. With the few stares he received, MJ tried his best to change his route, but their eyes were sharper than everyone else's. If one were to speak his name, he feared that others would begin to sniff him out.

Ducking behind one of the stalls, MJ gave a friendly nod to the older woman selling ornament accessories as he managed to avoid the cameras.

"Excuse me, do you know where this leads to?" He asked nicely. Even though he was a surprise, the woman returned his smile with one of her own.

"I believe that takes you towards the athlete's area. I heard they're offering free photos and autographs. If you hurry, you may be able to catch them before everything begins."

"In that case, I better hurry." MJ's hazel eyes sparkled as he looked at the items she had on display. Quickly choosing a handful of gifts, he counted out cash to hand over, slipping in a little extra for her help.

"Have a happy holiday." He took the small black bag from her, leaving her waving in the distance as he moved away from the crowds.

As he approached multiple mobile units, MJ patiently waited for the right moment to appear from between the trailers. The bass of music could be felt in the ground as he made sure no one could see him slip through.  When he made it in safely, he spotted a sign stating ‘authorized personnel only' in front of one of the trailers.

From the looks of the toned bodies that filed into the trailer, MJ figured that must be where the professional athletes were housed.

Subconsciously, he stretched his neck to see if he could spot a particular head of curls. His steps slowed a good distance away from the trailer as he took interest in one of the informational stands across the way as a cover. Picking up a leaflet, he looked at the smiling faces of children which decorated it. When he opened it further, he was staring into the warm brown face of Nayely who graced an inner fold with her teammates. Though she was one of many in the picture, she was the only one to draw him in.

"Hi! We have plenty of swag to give away tonight! If you're interested in supporting the local boys and girls club, this here will tell you all you need to know." A lively woman handed MJ a new brochure while pushing a bag filled with magnets, pens, and a signed photo into his hands.

"Thanks. I'll be sure to check it out." He accepted the offering only to find her smile fade ever so slightly as she stared him down.

"I don't mean to be rude, but are you that MJ Park guy?" She asked quizzically. When MJ raised his brow, a hostile look fell on his face.

"Oh my gosh! I wasn't saying that because your Asian too! I mean I just that you looked similar...not that you do! But you definitely look like that actor guy!" The woman fumbled over her words as her face glowed in a deep red color. "It's just that a bunch of people and parents have been mentioning his name to me tonight. Apparently, he's dating one of the athletes here."

"He is?" MJ's interest was piqued as a fresh rumor about him came to light.

"Yeah!" Leaning closer, she showed him her twitter feed. "Nayely Polite." The woman whispered her name like a dirty secret." It's all over the place. They're talking about the two of them going on drug binges together and everything. I never would have thought she was that type of girl, but I guess this is just proof to not have any expectations for famous people. It's really crazy because I saw her come in tonight."

MJ tried to follow the screen as the woman pulled it back to her side of the table.

"Sorry for mistaking you! Sometimes you can run into anybody here, but I'm sure that's not someone you want to be mistaken for." When another patron approached the stall, the woman waved goodbye as she diverted her attention.

He was only able to catch a glimpse of the hashtag dedicated to him and Nayely, but it was more than enough for him to bring out his own phone. Long ago, he had deleted all social media apps from his phone, so he didn't have to worry about constant alerts coming his way.

He saw that just by searching his name, he could see all that he needed to.

Watching the page update automatically, MJ could see that within the last hour, dozens of articles had been written about him and thousands of posts had been made calling his name.

When he found the article with the most views, he knew this had to be the original source of the gossip that had been started. When he read the title, his stomach tightened in anger as it seemed that not only was he being thrust back into the spotlight, but he had somehow gotten Nayely involved as well.

His eyes narrowed at the sight of pictures from the grocery store showed on the page. MJ's fist clenched around the leaflet he held, crumbling it into a ball as he read the stinging words of the author.

The secret life of Nayely Polite seems to be peeling away day after day. After the sudden split of her longtime manager, Terrence Thompson last week, it has now been revealed that her love life is also filled with strife! Could the return from a recent stint in a drug rehab of rumored lover, MJ Park, be a cause for Thompson's desertion?

"Fuck." MJ nearly threw his phone to the ground in anger as he refused to finish the piece. Feeling his heart beat irregularly against his chest, MJ tried to calm himself down. His body would be in recovery for a long time, but it seemed the world refused to let him rest.

When his eyes went to the athletes' trailer, it was to his surprise that Nayely stepped through the door. A group of kids called out to her, drawing her towards them with worried looks. MJ watched as they shot out question after question to a seemingly calm Nayely. Even from this distance, he was able to see the fallen look she tried to hide as he traced the lines of her profile.

There was no doubt she was made aware of the rumors. A feeling of responsibility beat inside of MJ as he knew drugs and athletes couldn't mix. With his life in Hollywood, it came as no surprise that he would have a drug crisis at least once in his life-and dealing with that had been hard enough.

The last time he had spoken to Nayely, he had promised to earn her forgiveness while not impeding on her life. All he wanted was to have a chance to be a part of it again. But not like this.  

While MJ was lost in his thoughts, Nayely had begun to move in his direction. Holding his breath as she passed just a few feet away, he saw that her dark eyes held a sullen look as she tuned out everything around her. With MJ tucked beside the stall, he wasn't in the line of sight of the cameras that followed her which were stopped as large men blocked their way.

"Nope. Designated areas only." He could hear them say, thankful that they couldn't follow her any further. Taking his chances, MJ left unnoticed. Keeping his eye on the back of her head, he wanted to call out her name. He needed to talk to her, to let her know that he had no idea how something like this could happen, and how he was prepared to do whatever he needed to make things right.

 

"It's going to be a long ride back; do you have to use the restroom?" Maya fished in her purse for the car keys, handing them to Nayely. Looking to the crowded parking lot, there were still many people coming in and she knew leaving even at a time like this would be a hassle.

"I think I'm good. But I suggest you go ahead. I'll try to bring the car around." Maya excused herself as she headed towards the restroom area. Nayely weaved in and out of the line of cars circling the parking lot, waiting for a space. She could feel them creeping behind her in the hopes of snagging her spot. In no rush, Nayely walked casually, not worried about being courteous.

One car swerved around her, speeding past her as they figured it was useless to follow for her parking space. Looking down the row, she could see her car in the distance, counting the steps she had left until she could sink into the driver's seat.

"Hmph." Nayely scoffed as she gripped her keys in her hand. Her eyes followed the beams of the car lights that shined around her. She could see the shadows of people walking past, but a silhouette that moved faster than the others caught her attention. When she recognized the sound of feet beating against the pavement, Nayely turned around.

Nayely's muscles tensed as she could feel unfamiliar hands tighten around her arms as MJ nearly took them both to the ground. Her keys fell from her hands as she tried to catch her balance.

Nayely stumbled through the parking lot as she was led deep between the lines of empty cars. Strong hands on her arms led her to an SUV tucked in an insolated corner of the lot. Her senses weren't clear enough to understand what was going on, but her nose recognized a scent she had only encountered recently before. Her eyes fluttered as she knew who had whisked her away.

When her back met the cold door of the SUV, she found herself face to face with hazel eyes illuminated by the moon. The glow of MJ's skin made his features clear even in the night, which made it hard for her to look away. Cautious eyes shifted around them, to ensure they were alone before falling back to Nayely who cursed the irregular beat of her heart in that moment. She hoped that he couldn't hear the hitch in her breath, but the softening of his eyes told her that he was all too aware. 

Nayely's body gave away the feelings at her core just has they had during their last encounter. When MJ had held her in an embrace, he could feel the pulse that she tried her best to suppress.

Shooting her hands to his biceps, Nayely hesitated briefly as she could feel the warm muscles beneath her fingers. She wasn't sure if she dug her digits into his skin to test their depth, or to encourage him to release her.

"What do you think you're doing?" The words were much too breathless for her liking as it didn't do the irritation she felt any justice.

"I know this isn't ideal, but I was afraid I wouldn't get a chance like this again." His deep voice soothed Nayely into listening to whatever it was he had to say. " There are a lot of things going on that I was hoping we could talk about." The mention of recent events jarred Nayely's memory as she quickly flared out her arms, pushing him away.

"There's nothing to talk about, in fact, us talking is the reason why we're here in the first place." Before she could make her exit, Nayely was tugged back from her escape as MJ reached out to her again. His hold was in no way intimidating, in fact, she could feel the gentle plead for her to give him this moment alone with her.

"Please." She asked as evenly as she could, looking to where their hands met. With a slight squeeze, MJ's hand loosened as he hovered close to her sleeve, afraid she would disappear in an instant.

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about, Nayely." MJ was taken aback by how easily her name fell from his lips now. "I know I have to be the last person you want to speak to, but I wanted to make sure that you heard this from me and no one else. I am so very sorry for the way things have turned out. I brought my problems into your world without thinking and now I've gotten you caught in the middle of it all. I never wanted anything like this to fall on you. You don't deserve any of this." With her back turned to him, MJ was unable to see her expression, but the slight rise and fall of her shoulders as she sighed told him that she was listening.

"No one deserves this." Nayely thought back to not only the accusations that had been made against her, but the disparaging remarks that had been made of MJ's recent brush with death. The gossip piece did well in poking fun at another's misfortune-which was something Nayely couldn't ignore as she remembered all too well the night she had spent trying to save MJ.

"When you've fucked up the way I have, things like this end up sticking with you. I guess it's the least they can do." MJ's hand froze in his hair as Nayely turned around suddenly.

"How could you say that?" MJ was thrown by the sudden emotion Nayely showed. If he wasn't mistaken, it almost looked as though she had taken offense to his self-deprecating dig. "You're sitting here acting like this is nothing-just another normal day."

"It's definitely become my new normal. I've gotten used to having eyes on me, but having you involved-"

"Shouldn't be the only reason you care about this. Whether or not I had been included, this asshole is mocking the fact that you almost died!" Nayely's face moved closer as her brows cinched together. "And you're just going to let that shit ride?" Narrowing her eyes, Nayely shook her head in disbelief. "The way I see it, your life isn't just yours-its mine too." The possessive look in her eyes caused MJ to blink in surprise. For some reason, her words seemed to ring as the ultimate truth in his ears.

Nayely couldn't fathom making light of his second chance at life. Especially when her stomach still tangled in knots whenever she thought of his body convulsing on the floor of her living room. It was still hard to not envision that night at times, but even harder to imagine how he could seem so nonchalant about protecting it now.

When she realized this need to defend and protect MJ even from himself, Nayely's eyes fluttered in confusion as a look she didn't want to see from him made her want to walk away.

"You're right." MJ spoke softly as he took in her declaration.

"No. I didn't mean to say it like that. I was just saying I worked hard to make sure you could even stand before me right now and I would just think you wouldn't be okay with someone trashing you this way considering what you've gone through." Quickly recovering from her slip up, Nayely folded her arms before her.

MJ saw her guard build itself back up after the brief glance into her true feelings. The light of their past quickly succumbed to the darkness that had taken its place.

"That's something I think about every moment of every day."  With a small smile, MJ drew on memories of the past." This wouldn't be the first time you've saved me." Remembering the time Nayely had put her amateur Tae Kwon Do skills to use to defend MJ against the older foster home boys after taking their first steps into their lives as parentless children, they both locked eyes.

Somehow, they continued to be drawn together during each new season of their lives.

Nayely felt herself softening to her dismay. She had too much to prepare for to handle the new blow her life had taken to be standing there and allowing herself to be lulled back into MJ's orbit. She knew she needed to find the right words that would lay down the line between them. MJ had been the one to set the fate of their future in motion when he banished her from his life, and now he was getting the chance to rewrite it all from scratch.

Nayely knew that anyone else in her position would have shown MJ that he couldn't do as he wished this time around-that there were consequences he needed to feel. The pettiness she wished she could bring forth fell short as the desire to hurt MJ was nonexistent.

"Listen-" Nayely began before being hushed before she could conjure up her thoughts. MJ's face moved past her own as the hairs on his arms stood tall from the feeling of being watched. When his eyes settled in the darkness of the night, he could see the dark figure of a man standing not too far away. He moved in a way that told MJ he didn't want to be seen. At his side, he could make out the clear outline of a camera as the man moved away swiftly.

Reaching for the car door, MJ pushed Nayely into the passenger side before rounding the vehicle and hopping in the driver's seat.

"What are you doing?" Nayely asked moving her hand to the door handle before she was stopped.

"Someone was out there." Twirling in her seat, Nayely tried her best to peer out the windows.

"Well, it is a holiday parade. There are a lot of people out there." She said sarcastically as his hand crossed her body, drawing her seatbelt to a safe position.

"That's not what I mean." MJ said with seriousness. If someone was snooping around for weeks to get the story for the biggest gossip piece of the night, there's no telling what lurked in the shadows around them now.

"Woah, is this necessary?" Nayely held her hands up as she watched MJ put the SUV in reverse." I came with someone, I can't just leave." Patting her body, Nayely realized she was emptyhanded. She couldn't leave like this.

"My keys! I dropped them. And my phone-I don't even have that on me."

Pushing his way through the parking lot, MJ looked into his rearview mirror as he caught glimpses of a dark car following behind. The car seemed to creep from behind as their lights remained dimmed. Following his eyes, Nayely turned in her seat.

The tint on the windows made it impossible to make out the driver behind them. As they began to merge into traffic, bright lights suddenly shined in her eyes, causing her to face forward, trying to regain her vision.

"Who the hell is that?" She spoke under her breath as she blinked away her confusion. "Did you see who it was?"

MJ squinted as the high beams shined in his mirror. Tightening his hand around the steering wheel, MJ slowly pressed on the gas pedal as he gained enough speed to move through the streets.

"My guess is they have something to do with the pictures that were published of us."

"You think we're being followed?" Nayely was beginning to feel skeptical of the situation. This had to be some joke.

"How else do you think pictures of us at the grocery store and of the inside of your trashcan got around?" Looking to the passenger seat, MJ could see that his words were not computing.

"Why the hell would someone be following us around?" The idea that she would be the object of someone's obsession was foreign to Nayely. Her life as a public figure had allowed her to preserve some semblance of normalcy. She got to do her own thing without being too aware of the world needing to know her every move. Her entire image had been based around the fact that she was the most normal and unknown "celebrity" there could be.

"I see you're not too familiar with the paparazzi." MJ was able to see that while they existed in the same realm, their experiences were completely opposite of each other. The pure look of disbelief on her face that someone could possibly be following them around simply for a story was refreshing to MJ. He had become used to carefully choreographing his every move in public, as he was always fully aware of the eyes that were on him, which he had unwittingly found himself caring about over time. There were many times where simply stepping outside had to be well planned to provide the best shots of him and-

With a deep breath, MJ pulled himself away from drudging up the thought of Danny.

With the recent change in his life, he hoped he could be as unbothered by exposure as Nayely had seemed to be. Just the thought of how he may have ruined Nayely's privacy made him even more determined to protect her.

MJ looked up to see that the pursuing car had fallen back, allowing another vehicle to put space between them. Looking up, he saw that he was seconds away from missing his chance at breaking away as the traffic light was seconds away from changing from yellow to red.

"You think you're going to make that?" Nayely questioned as she saw MJ had no intention of slowing down."Hey-MJ!" She shouted just as the SUV flew through the newly red light. Nayely's hand had gone to MJ's free wrist, gripping it tightly as she looked around, amazed that they had just barely made the light.

"Do you get off on cutting it close? If we get pulled over-" Nayely's words froze as she felt MJ's fingers link with hers.


"I'm sorry for doing that. I just wanted to make sure we could get through without being followed." With a slight squeeze, MJ made a promise. "It's okay. I've got us."

Letting her hand linger, Nayely knew it was best to pull herself away.

Clearing her throat, she brought her hand to her lap, looking down to the impression MJ's fingers left behind as her blood rushed through her palm.

"You can let me off up here."

"Sorry, that's not going to happen."

"Excuse me?" Nayely looked to MJ whose eyes were already on her.

"No phone, no ride-I can't just leave you anywhere."

"And who's fault is that?"

"That's fair." MJ shrugged." Which is even more reason to let me get you home safe." A pensive look crossed MJ's face as he thought about leaving her alone." Or maybe not."

"No, you were right the first time, so, you know-home, James." Nayely brought her hand to her temples, feeling the growing pain in her head." I think I've had enough for one night."

"All the more reason to make sure you get somewhere safe." MJ knew that there was only one place they could go that had managed to remain unmarred.

"Which is where?" Nayely waited for him to give her an answer that made more sense than her own home.

"My place."

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.