Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Evangeline and John have a wedding to plan and a house to buy.  Does the future shine bright ahead or are those storm clouds on the horizon?




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

Someone I Used to Know

 

 

Chapter 14    Some Dreams do come True

 

 

Who would believe that we planned all of this in three short months but a month into the preparations Sarah and Ivan had their baby boy, 6 lbs, 5 oz little Sebastian Steele.   He’s such a cutey pie! Ivan Skyped me when Sarah was finally in her room with the baby.  Looking at her you would never believe that she just had a baby but that’s my Sarah.  The grandmothers are taking turns visiting to give the parents some rest.  Sarah assures me that she will make it to the wedding no matter what she has to do.

 

The wedding takes place in two weeks.  Everything is settled with venues, all invited guests have responded and my mother, Layla and Nora are patting themselves on their backs for the great work that they have done.  They deserve the accolades because they have done a fantastic job. The guys have also done their bit. Uncle Clay has corralled them into working on a surprise for me and I have no idea what it will be.  He says it was something that his buddies did at his wedding so he thought that he might add it to mine.  It’s something that my father, his brother would have done were he here.  That is so nice of Uncle Clay.  Todd took it upon himself to help John with the honeymoon plans since he feels that John has no idea what to do when it comes to travel.  John doesn’t mind and actually listens to what Todd has to say.  John does not tell me where we are going but he says that I will be pleased.  I try to get him to tell me by suggesting that I need to know so that I can pack the right clothes but he caught on to me and quickly squelched that line of inquiry.  So I guess it will be a surprise.  All that he would say to me is bring an assortment of clothing that I can wear anywhere.  If it’s cool I can put on a wrap or a jacket, if it’s hot then I can take off the wrap or jacket. He was no help.

 

The fun part in all of this is that John and I found a house and we move in tomorrow.  It is beautiful and has enough room for us to grow our family.  Yes I say family because we do plan to have children and sooner rather than later.  Although scripture may allow us three score and ten years or one hundred and twenty years, we do know that not everyone lives that long.  I don’t want to wait until I’m seventy years old to have children so we will start trying within the first year of our marriage.  It’s even better if I get pregnant on our wedding night and I’m really looking forward to the events of that night.  So far John and I have kept to our plans not to be intimate before the wedding but our kisses are starting to get very intense and my skin will start to crinkle up from all of these cold showers I’ve had to take lately. Why when you read a romance novel it only talks about the guy taking cold showers to calm his libido.  Lately that’s been my temperature of choice because this man has me hot.  Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining at all it’s just a prelude of things to come and I am definitely excited about that.

 

Nora assisted me in finding other attorneys for my clients and the State Attorney’s office has already allotted me office space in one of the State buildings in Llanview so everything is falling into place.

 

Regarding the house, the owner completed all of the repairs and even did the painting of the rooms to our specifications. They had relocated due to a job change and had to sell quickly so we got the house for a good price. This reduced price allowed us to make some changes to suit our taste.

 

-Replaced the carpet with hardwood flooring

-Replaced all of the window treatments

-Replaced all of the appliances

-Enlarged the back deck

-Had the house cleaned from top to bottom

 

We’re ready to start our new life in our new home.  Although we are moving in the house together we will still not have sex or make love.  I will stay in the master bedroom and John will stay in one of the other bedrooms.  Others may think it silly of us to take this to that extent but we must abide by our decision. Oddly enough it allows us to feel intimate without the physical union and that’s a big difference in our relationship now and one that we both welcome.  Our family and friends will help us to move since everything is all ready for the wedding.  Uncle Clay is having food brought in so John and I don’t’ have to worry about feeding everyone.  This is such an exciting time for us and John and I are so thrilled to have everyone involved.

 

Moving day comes and goes and everyone is had a marvelous time. Everyone looked great and everyone complimented us on our choice of colors for the room.  This time we Skyped Sarah and Ivan so that they could see the finished product.  The last thing that they said was for us to make sure that we have a playpen/crib for their baby in ‘their’ room for when they come to visit.  Ha! Ha!

 

----------------------------------   

 

It’s my wedding day! It’s our wedding day! John and I are getting married today!

 

Last night John stayed with his brother Michael so that he would not see might the night before the wedding.  A tradition is a tradition.  Neither of us wanted a bridal shower nor bachelor party so our family and friends abided by our requests.  Sarah, Ivan and little Sebastian arrived last night and are in one of the spare bedrooms and yes we have a crib set up for Sebastian.  My mother and Layla are in another spare room and Uncle Clay is in the last spare room.  Our other relatives are staying in the designated hotel. The wedding will take place at the church that Layla and I attend here in Llanview and the reception will take place at one of the ballrooms at the Palace.  John’s mother Eve is staying with Michael as is his cousin Shannon who refused to miss his wedding.

 

I am so excited and so happy it is crazy.  Wait I hear my phone ringing.  Who is calling me now?

 

“Hello soon to be Mrs. John McBain.  How is my love this morning?  I miss you.”

 

“John, why are you calling me is everything all right?”

 

“Yes it is I just wanted to say good morning to you.  Can’t wait to see you.”

 

“Me too, I missed you last night.  Just think how that is the last night that we will be apart.  What a pleasant thought.”

 

“Yes it is. Well I won’t keep you.  I will see you soon at the church and I can’t wait to be your husband.  I never thought that this would happen but I am so glad that it is happening.”

 

“I feel the same way John.  Soon we will be husband and wife forever.  See you soon, bye.”

 

“Bye.”

 

Smiling I hang up the phone and fall back on my bed so overjoyed with the blessings in my life.  Hearing a knock on door I tell the person to come in to my room.

 

“Well sleepy head you are awake.  Come on and get some breakfast so that you can get ready for your wedding. You don’t want to arrive late.”

 

“You’re right Mom, I don’t want to arrive late but I don’t know if I can eat anything as nervous as I am.”

 

“I know baby but you have nothing about which to be nervous.  Everything is all set up for the wedding and the reception and you and John will have a wonderful life together.  You deserve only the best, only the best.”

 

“Thank you Mom. Come on let’s eat.”

 

We go down to the kitchen and everyone in the house is already there eating.  No one wanted to disturb me so that sent Mom to get me.  Wise people they are in that matter.  I do eat and calm down.  No need for me to be nervous because my life is grand and I will enjoy this day to the fullest.  As it is said, ‘this is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it, and so I shall.

 

Neither John nor I wanted an evening wedding so we settled for a 1:00 p.m. start time.  Any way our flight leaves at 9:00 p.m. so that gives up ample time for a nice wedding and reception.  Any other arrangements John has not divulged to me.  I don’t really care as long as we are together I will go with John to the ends of the earth.

 

At 10:30 a.m. the ladies will come and assist me with dressing. Nora, Layla, Sarah and my mother decided that I need help in putting on my clothes so who am I to argue even though I have been dressing myself since I was three years old.  If it makes them happy then why fuss.  Now at 9:00 a.m. I take another shower and the hairdresser comes to do my hair.  That does take some time so we planned this event down to the minute.

 

Finally at the church in the room set aside for the bride and I have butterflies in my stomach but that is good.  Who isn’t excited right before their wedding?  Our color scheme is simple, the ladies wear lavender dresses and the men have black tuxedos with lavender cummerbunds, everyone except John who wears a white tuxedo with a lavender cummerbund.  Michael is John’s best man and I don’t have a maid/matron of honor so that I didn’t have to choose between my sister, my friend, or my longest known friend and they all agreed to just stand as my bridesmaids.  My mother and Uncle Clay will walk me down the isle.

 

The ceremony is lovely.  We recite the traditional vows and everyone looks beautiful.  Eve and my mother both cry saying that they didn’t think that their oldest child would ever marry.  While the guests move on to the reception location we stay behind and take pictures in the church and in the church garden.  All in all we couldn’t have asked for more, the weather is perfect, our wedding party is the best and we made it through the ceremony without any drama, if you know what I mean.

 

Now we arrive at the reception and the DJ announces us. I still don’t know what surprise Uncle Clay has in store for me but I hope that I don’t embarrass myself because I do not like surprises.  I always like to be in control and surprises take that control away from me. Well I will adapt as I must I am too happy to worry.  We eat and the best man makes the obligatory toast and Sarah is chosen to give the toast for the bridesmaids.  Not to be left out Todd stands and gives his toast as the ‘best friend’ to which Sarah and Nora raise objections, as the lawyers they are, but he totally ignores them and gives his toast to his best friend who has stood by him and whom he treasures.  After his toast the ladies are wiping their eyes and the men are trying to look elsewhere as to not allow a tear to drop from their eyes.

 

Now for the dancing, before John and I have our first dance, Uncle Clay puts a chair in the middle of the dance floor and asks that I sit there. He looks at the guys, John, Antonio, Todd, Michael, and even Ivan, gather around him and then he cues the DJ and the music starts.  The song that plays is,

“What a Wonderful World”, sung by Louis Armstrong, they dance in time with the music and the choreography is precise and just amazing.  I didn’t know that they could step like that and they look so good in their tuxedos and their precision is I don’t know how to describe it.  I am so overwhelmed and I start crying.

 

“What a Wonderful World”

[Verse 1]
I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom, for me and you

And I think to myself
What a wonderful world


[Verse 2]
I see skies of blue and clouds of white
Bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

And I think to myself
What a wonderful world


[Bridge]
The colors of a rainbow
So pretty in the sky

Are also on the faces
Of people going by

I see friends shaking hands, saying how do you do
They're really saying, I love you


[Verse 3]
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more
Than I'll never know

And I think to myself
What a wonderful world
Yes, I think to myself
What a wonderful world


[Written by Bob Thiele and George Weiss]

 

Just as the song finishes Uncle Clay takes the microphone and says,

 

“This is something that my brother, Evangeline’s father, helped me to do at my wedding and so in his absence I wanted to carry on the tradition for his daughter since he couldn’t be here.”

 

Then I just cried more and as I looked around the room I noticed that I was not the only one to have tears in my eyes.  I had to take a moment to collect myself because I have a surprise of my own to perform.  But before I can rise from my chair my husband stops me.  I look at him puzzled as to what is happening. He takes the microphone from Uncle Clay and says,

 

“Now please bear with me on this.  I am not one for public performances but this is something that has been on my heart for some time.  One time years ago this beautiful woman pleasantly surprised me by serenading me and I think that it is time for me to return the gesture.  My voice is not as good as hers but just know that all of this comes from my heart.”

 

The music starts and a sound I have never heard emerges from my beloved.  I never knew that he had such a nice voice, the deep resonance of his voice touches me to my core.  As the words reverberate in the room,

 

“Can’t Help Falling in Love”

Words & Music by George Weiss/Hugo Peretti/Luigi Creatore

Performed by Elvis Presley in the movie “Blue Hawaii”

 

Wise men say only fools rush in
but I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay
would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
some things are meant to be
take my hand, take my whole life too
for I can't help falling in love with you

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
some things are meant to be
take my hand, take my whole life too
for I can't help falling in love with you
for I can't help falling in love with you

 

Words cannot describe what I am feeling now.  I knew that I loved this man but I love him more at this moment.  He left his comfort zone to give to me, to show to me the depths of his love.  Why do they keep making me cry today?  But they are not sad tears these are happy tears. I stand and pull him to me and kiss him so tenderly and so passionately right there in front of everyone. They don’t understand what this means.  They don’t understand what it took for him to do this.  As the kiss ends we both say that we love each other and know that the love will last forever.  

 

John releases me and attempts to walk back to our table but I take his hand and ask him to sit in the chair that I recently vacated. He looks at me puzzled, just as I was not too long ago, but I just shake my head and smile.  He sits and then I stand in front of him, take the microphone from his hand, signal to the DJ and the music wafts in the air and I start singing and as I sing I walk around him as he sits and makes body motions in tune with the music and the words to the song,

 

Dr. Feelgood (Love Is a Serious Business)

Aretha Franklin

I don't want nobody, always
Sittin' around me and my man
I don't want nobody, always
Sittin' around there
Lookin' at me and that man

Be it my mother, my brother, my sister
Would you believe, I get up
Put on some clothes
Go out and help them find somebody for their self
If I can

Now I don't mind company
Because company's alright with me
Every once in awhile
Yes it is
I say I don't mind company
Because company is alright with me
Every once in awhile, yeah

And Ooooooooooooooh
When me and that man get to lovin'
I tell ya girl, I dig ya, but I just don't have time
To sit, and chit, and sit and chit - chat and smile

Don't send me no doctor
Filling me up with all of those pills
I got me a man named Doctor Feelgood
And oh! Yeah!
That man takes care of all my pains and my ills
His name is Doctor Feelgood in the morning
To take care of business is really this man's game
And after one visit to Dr. Feelgood
You understand why I feel good, is his name
Oh! Yeah! Oooh!
Oh, good God a – mighty
The man sure makes me feel real...
Goooooooood!

 

Songwriters: Aretha Franklin / Ted White

 

Dr. Feelgood (Love Is a Serious Business) lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc

 

As the song progresses I see John’s reactions to the words to the songs and my motions and that he is holding himself tight not to grab me and have his way with me.  Ooo, I love it.  His pupils are so dilated and he has a little sweat beading on his mustache. He is so cute.  When I get to the part,

‘after one visit to Dr. Feelgood/ You understand why I feel good, is his name/ Oh! Yeah! / Oh, good God a-mighty/ The man sure makes me feel real/ Goooooood!’  When I finish the song everyone is standing clapping and John uses that as a diversion to grab me and hug me and whisper in my ear,“You just wait, Dr. Feelgood has some good feeling waiting just for you.”  Not to be intimidated, I respond, “Take care of all my pains and my ills Dr. Feelgood.”

 

All of this excitement and we haven’t even made it to the first dance yet.  This time John and I chose the song that would play during our first dance as husband and wife. We remember that time long ago early on when we didn’t know how to define what was happening between us. Were we in a relationship or were we just someone with whom to have sex?  In an effort to figure out our status I brought over some ‘date suggestions’ since we were sleeping together.  So this song signifies the start of our relationship then and our marriage now. ‘You can say a lot without talking’ as John once said,

 

As Time Goes By (from the movie “Casablanca”)

Dooley Wilson

You must remember this
A kiss is just a kiss
A sigh is just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by

And when two lovers woo
They still say "I love you"
On that you can rely
No matter what the future brings
As time goes by

Moonlight and love songs
Never out of date
Hearts full of passion
Jealousy and hate
Woman needs man, and man must have his mate
That no one can deny

It's still the same old story
A fight for love and glory
A case of do or die
The world will always welcome lovers
As time goes by

Moonlight and love songs
Never out of date
Hearts full of passion
Jealousy and hate
Woman needs man, and man must have his mate
That no one can deny

It's still the same old story
A fight for love and glory
A case of do or die
The world will always welcome lovers
As time goes by

 

Songwriters: Herman Hupfeld

 

As Time Goes By lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc

 

We’ve come a long way since then and we have a long way to go but we now will do it together and we wouldn’t have it any other way.  We dance and hold each other so tight lost in the music, lost in the words of the song, lost in the love that we have for each other.

 

-------------------------------------   

 

I could not have asked for a better wedding and I am glad that I only have to do it once.  Evangeline looks beautiful and when she sang that song to me all I wanted to do was grab her, run out of this place and get on the plane and fly away for our honeymoon.  She will have to sing that song again to me in private so that I can show her just how good ‘Dr. Feelgood’ can be.  My heart was pounding in my ears when I sang that song to her, it’s a wonder that no one heard my heart beating and it’s even more of a wonder that my voice didn’t crack.  But I knew that it wouldn’t because I felt that song, the words are all true for me.  I can’t help falling in love with Evangeline.  I love her so much and am so glad that we are finally together.  The reception is winding down and we’re saying goodbye to everyone.  We need to make it back to the house and change and get to the airport. This has been a great day and one I will not forget.  I married my love today and nothing can be better than that.  Now for the even more fun part, the honeymoon.

 

After the long flight we arrive at our hotel ready for a hot shower and something to eat.  Not wanting to stray far from our room we place our room service order and head straight for the shower.  I allow Evangeline to go first while I unpack our suitcases.  For some funny reason I am a little nervous about making love to her again.  It feels like it will be our first time but if I think about it that’s exactly what it will be, our first time as the new John and Evangeline and our first time as husband and wife.  Evangeline emerges from the bathroom fully covered by the fluffy bathroom provided by the hotel.  It seems that she too is a bit shy.  Leaving her there I go and take my shower.  By the time that I finish the food has arrived and we dig in.  We do not care what time it is where we are and we do not care if we should stay awake to prevent jet lag.  

 

After we eat we close the light darkening curtains and turn down the bed.  Looking around I see Evangeline propping her iPod on the nightstand and then I hear the music quietly playing.  At this point I don’t care which song it is I take her hand and pull her to me and untie her bathrobe. It drops to the floor and she stands there is this white see through gown with bikini panties.  Just looking at her I become hard as a rock. Following my lead she unties my robe and it drops to the floor and I am standing there naked with my little soldier at attention.  She smiles and says, “Somebody is ready.”

I pick her up and place her on the bed.  That’s the second time that I lifted her today because of course I had to carry her over the threshold of the hotel room which made her laugh. She informed me then that I would have to repeat that action when we return home and I am looking forward to that.  

 

With the bedding already turned down I hover over just looking at her from head to toe.  Once my eyes return to her face I see that she is smiling and I kiss her lips. Not stopping there I move my mouth to remove the straps to her gown that I notice are tied in neat bows. She shimmies out of the gown and now on only has on the bikini panties that also have bows on the side that I untie and the she lies before totally naked and I waste no time kissing every part of her that I can reach.  Her moans and sighs spur me on and as I leave a trail of kisses from her head to her toes all the time I continue to tell her how much I love her and how she has made me so happy.  Once my lips return to her lips she stops me and holds my face to hers and looks in my eyes and says,  “Enough talking and more loving.”  And without further ado I do as I am told and I love her madly and fiercely pouring in to her every ounce of my passion and desire for her and she reciprocated fourfold.  We loved and combusted through the night and fell limp but satisfied on the bed and slept for hours.  We awoke, took a shower, changed the sheet and made love again until we had our fill of each for the time being.  After another shower we dressed and went down to the restaurant to eat.  Not knowing whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinnertime because we didn’t care.  We were on our own schedule and not restricted by the time on the clock. 

 

We had a marvelous time on the honeymoon and did all of the touristy things and took pictures and collected souvenirs but most of all we loved.  We spent time together reacquainting ourselves with each other’s body.  Of course we remember things about each other from years ago but we discover new ways to please each other and that gave us joy because these are now things that only we two share.  No one in the world can love me live she does and no one in the world can love her like I do.  When I look at Evangeline I see my present and my future and I am so blessed that she loves me.

 

Back at home now and settling into married life.  What took me so long to get here and how could I have been so stupid to risk not having this in my life?  But you know what I won’t ask myself that again because I learned from my mistakes and now have a great life with the best woman and wife in the world, Evangeline McBain.

 

“John what are you doing?  Are you daydreaming again?  Did you hear what I said?  John?”

 

“No hon I didn’t hear you what did you say?”

 

“You might want to sit down for this John.  Are you sure that you are okay you look a bit wide eyed?”

 

“I was just thinking about how blessed I am and how it couldn’t get any better than this.”

 

“Oh well John I think that it just might.”

 

“Why do you say that Evangeline, what’s going on?”

 

“I’m pregnant!”

 

And with that John McBain, supervisor for the detectives in the LPD and the FBI liaison on capital cases faints and falls to the floor. Evangeline rushes to her husband and can’t help but laugh.  She knows that she won’t let him live this down for some time to come. So much for his ‘tough guy’ image now but his reaction is so sweet.  She gets the smelling salt for her love.

 

 

THE END

 

A/N: Thnx for reading.  Don’t forget to leave a review for to a writer they are like rays of sunshine on a cloudy day.

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

Thnx for reading and reviewing.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.