Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Evangeline works to get her life back in order and a stranger comes to town.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

 

Someone I Used to Know

 

 

Chapter 4    Things Must Change

 

They release Evangeline to rehabilitation services two weeks later. Sarah and Ivan Steele return home and Todd takes over and sends Sarah weekly reports.  After six months of rehabilitation Evangeline makes a full recovery.  

 

News of her recovery travels through Llanview like a wildfire. Everyone is so happy for her. Todd has her apartment prepared for her return.  Her mother decides to stay for a week to help her get settled in. Evangeline is thankful to Todd and Sarah for looking out for her.  She Skypes Sarah when she makes it to her apartment and they both end up crying.  Todd reassures Sarah that he will continue to look in on Evangeline to make sure that she has whatever she needs.  Sarah feels better about that and they end the Skype session.

 

“Todd I don’t know how to repay you for all that you have done for me.”

 

“Evangeline you don’t have to repay me for anything.  We are friends and this is what friends do for each other. Now before I leave do you need anything?”

 

“No I don’t but come over here so that I can give you a big hug.”

 

“That I can do. Now rest and I will talk with you later.  I’m glad that you’re all better.  When do you plan to reopen your office?”

 

“I don’t know Todd.  My clients have probably found other attorneys to represent them since I’ve been out of commission. I may need to rebuild my clientele.”

 

“Well you still have me so here’s my check to retain you as my attorney for whatever trouble I may get into now that you are out of the hospital.  You do know that I held off getting into any trouble while you were in the hospital and not able to represent me.”

 

“Todd this check is too much.  How much trouble do you plan to cause?”

 

“Evangeline I don’t plan to cause any trouble but I want you to have some money and not worry about anything.  Sarah and I set up a maintenance fund for your care while you were in the hospital.  Now that you are well you can use the remaining amount however you choose.  Here is the account information for you.”

 

“Todd this can’t be right.  This account has a balance of over two million dollars.  How much did you and Sarah put in this account?  I have health insurance, which covered a large portion of my medical care, but I do know that there were additional costs that my mother would have used my supplemental health insurance policy to cover.  Just what did you and Sarah do?”

 

“We called in specialists to treat you.  We demanded the best care for our friend and we got it.  Look at you beautiful.  Now just take this money and rebuild your practice and be the top rate attorney that we all know and love.  Can you do that and not fuss with us about the money?  We both love you Evangeline and only want the best for you.  The money means nothing to us but you do.”

 

“Thank you Todd Manning.  You are something else.  I love you too my friend.  Now go home. I’ll talk with you tomorrow.

 

Now that I’m back home I do feel better.  Still the matter of my law office is something that I must handle right away.  My mother helps me with making a list of all of my clients and their telephone numbers.  First thing tomorrow I will call all of them to inquire about their need for my services. If I can retain at half of my clients then I will do well.  Talking with my mother about the generosity of Sarah and Todd she just smiled and repeats what Todd said, they love me and treasure me.  That felt good to hear.

 

The morning comes soon enough and I’m on the phone talking with my clients.  Everyone is so happy for me.  I do manage to convince three-fourths of them to stay with me.  The other one-fourth already has new representation.  I then call those persons who previously expressed interest in my services but I could not fit them in my schedule.  After talking with them I end up with enough new clients to replace the ones that I lost.  All in all it is a good day.  

 

Before I reopen my office I make sure to refresh myself on any new legal precedents.  I attend some seminars for some Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and make certain that my credentials are up to date.  I meet with the judges in the courthouse and thank them for their support.  That’s not usually done but I want them to see my face and know that I am back as an attorney. It never hurts to have a good relationship with the judges.  My second stop is the police station and I make the rounds there saying hello to the officers with whom I’ve worked in the past and to introduce myself to any new officers.  That went very well until I stopped at Commissioner Buchanan’s office. He’s in a meeting at the time and I decide to wait as his secretary says that he’s expecting me when his meeting ends. 

 

While waiting outside of his office up walks John McBain.  I have not seen John in a long time. 

 

“Evangeline it’s good to see you.  How are you?”

 

“I’m doing much better John, thank you for asking.  How are you?”

 

“I’m fine. What brings you to the station? Do you have a client here already?”

 

“No, I’m here to meet with Bo.”

 

“Oh.  Oh okay.  I guess that I will see you around then.”

 

“Yes you will. Good bye John it looks like Bo can see me now.”

 

That was an odd exchange.  We talk with each other like we are strangers.  Oh well I don’t have time to dwell on that. Let me meet with Bo and get back to my office.  I have much work to do.

 

Meanwhile John too is puzzled by the exchange with Evangeline.

 

Was that all I could say to her, how are you.  You would think that we don’t know each other.  She must think that I am an idiot.  She is right. I am an idiot.  To have let her go without a fight was just plain stupid on my part.  I rush out of my office and back to Bo’s office to wait for her to exit. I can’t let her leave the office with only those words passing between us.  I may not get another opportunity to speak with her.  I don’t have to wait long before she says goodbye to Bo and heads for the stairs to leave the building.

 

“Evangeline please wait a minute.  I’ll walk you out.  May I talk with you for a moment?”

 

“John we just talked.  I have a lot to do today so you need to make it quick.”

 

“Okay I will. Would you consent to going out with me.”

 

“Going out with you where and why John?”

 

“Going out with me on a date.”

 

“Why would I do that John?”

 

“I want us to start over Evangeline.  I want a chance with you again.”

 

“What brought this on John?  Is this some kind of pity date that you have in mind.  Do you think that since I’ve been in a coma that I need you to take care of me? Same old John to the rescue. I don’t need rescuing John especially not from you.  Let me say this as plainly and simply as I can.  John you are someone I once chose to love but now you are someone I used to love.  Until you can love yourself we have nothing to talk about.  I’ve told you that before.  You think that you can come to my rescue.  No you can’t.  I know that you and the FBI found the perpetrators and I thank you for that but as far as you and I are concerned there is no you and I. As you are now you have nothing to offer me.  Many things must change for you to have the slightest chance with me John and I don’t see that anything has changed with you. You still walk around here dressed in all black like the messenger of doom.  I’ve been to h*** and back John so I don’t need doom and gloom around me now.  Take care of yourself John.  I really only wish the best for you.  Now as I said before, I have much to do.  Goodbye John.”

 

Once again I find myself standing in the corridor of the police station not knowing what to say to that declaration.  I have no reply to what she said.  ‘Until you can love yourself we have nothing to talk about’. What do I have to offer? Nothing. I am still an emotional cripple and have done nothing about it even after Baxter told me that he will pursue Evangeline.  Then I said that I will fight Baxter and anyone else from claiming Evangeline. She is a prize of great worth and I must prove myself worthy.  But I have not done one thing to make any changes in my life.  So much for Baxter’s declaration being a wake up call for me.  I’m still sleep walking and if I don’t wake up now I will lose forever the best thing that has ever happened to me.  I return to my office and complete a form for medical leave.  I then call Dr. Crosby to request a meeting with him to commit me for intense therapy.  No once a week therapy will help me now.  I need intense therapy because I am fighting for my life now. Dr. Crosby agrees and signs off on the leave.  Bo approves and Dr. Crosby accompanies me to the treatment facility.  I do call my mother and brother to let them know.  They are both glad that I am finally agreeing to treatment, something that I should have done years ago. It should not have taken this long for me to seek medical care but better late than never as they say.

 

News of Evangeline’s recovery makes it way to the FBI Hate Crime Unit and one Agent Steven Baxter.  Agent Baxter is pleased to hear of Ms. Williamson’s recovery and decides to take some vacation time and visit Llanview.  He remembers what he told Lt. McBain and decides that there is no time like the present to see if Ms. Williamson is open to a relationship with him.  He doesn’t want to overwhelm her but he does want her to know that he is interested.  She is special and he wants someone special in his life.






Chapter End Notes:

Interesting things ahead for Evangeline.  







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.