Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Things don't look good for Evangeline.  How does John respond?




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Someone I Used to Know

 

 

Chapter 2    The Aftermath of the Studio Attack 

 

Commissioner Beauregard Buchanan calls his chief detective, Lt. John McBain into the station to give him information on the latest attack by the hate group, One Pure People.

 

I rush to the office after Bo’s call and he meets me at the door to the squad room.  We walk to his office and he tells me that the hate group has gassed Christian Vega’s art studio.  Christian, Nora, Sahid and Evangeline were gassed and Lindsay was struck from behind.  They are all at the hospital.  Bo added that it looked like Evangeline got the worst of it and her heart stopped before they transported everyone to the hospital.  I stand there stunned.  Evangeline’s heart stopped, oh no!  I tell Bo that I have a friend in the FBI Hate Crime Unit who owes me a favor and I will contact him.  I head to the hospital wanting to kill somebody.  

 

Arriving at the hospital I see Officer Sahid and she gives me her report.  Upon conclusion I ask if she thinks that the doctor will let me see Evangeline.  Sahid asks if Evangeline and I ‘were’ close and I respond, ‘we still are’.  The doctor exits the exam room just as Bo arrives.  Bo and I approach and the doctor reports that Evangeline has lapsed into a coma.  I walked to the door and look in.  I can’t see Evangeline but I do see her sister Layla and Christian Vega crowded around her bed.  How could this happen?  I know that we’re not together and that there is a lot of pain between the two of us but I always expected her to be around.  I count on seeing her at the police station or passing her in the halls at court.  I thought that not trying to get her back in my like would keep her safe. Not look what happened.  I will find the perpetrators and bring them to justice if it’s the last thing that I do. 

 

Layla and Christian exit the room and Layla comes to me and says that Evangeline won’t wake up and she needs her to wake up.  I need her to wake up too.  Looking at me no one would know how devastated I am by this news. She has to live.  She’s the one bright light in my life.  Even when I was with Natalie I always knew that Evangeline was out there someone alive though not with me.  I remember our conversation while waiting for Todd’s verdict when she said that she saw Natalie and I together and she wondered if I could love anyone.  I know that I can.  I loved Caitlin and I loved her even though I never showed her or told her but now I know why.  Because I was deep in the darkness that I could not see for myself that she opened my heart to love her but it was too late.  I lost her when I would not say that I love her and doubly when I rescued Natalie first.  That was the final nail in the coffin for us and she would not have me again even though every time I saw her afterwards I longed for her.  Now she may never recover from this assault and I have lost her forever.

 

With nothing else to do at the hospital I return to the station and contact my former FBI colleague Steven Baxter.

 

“Hello Baxter, McBain here.  How are you and do you have time to talk?  I have a case on which I need some immediate assistance.”

 

“Well long time no hear from, McBain.  So you know with this favor we are even.  What do you need?”

 

“A hate group called One Pure People has conducted several attacks here in Llanview, PA. The list of offenses include arson and now they have gassed a group in a warehouse.  One victim is now in a coma.  I will send you what we have and let me know what you can do. This is personal for me Baxter. A good friend of mine was attacked and I want justice for her.”

 

“All right McBain we will wait for your file and work on it from our end and keep you updated. Is this friend more than a friend? You sound a bit edgy which is strange for calm and cool McBain.”

 

“We once we more but that ended but I will always think of her as a friend.  The file is on its way.  Do what you can.  I appreciate it.”

 

I end the call and sit in my office thinking for a moment how did we get to this point.  Evangeline and I broke up over two years ago and since that time I have been back and forth with Natalie.  If I am so in love with Natalie why can’t I just commit to her?  If she is what I’ve wanted all along then why aren’t we married by now.  Caitlin and I knew each other for less than a year when I proposed to her. Natalie and I have known each other for over four years and have been together, on and off, for two why have we not progressed more in our relationship?  We argue more than anything else.  She gives and I take.  Maybe Evangeline is right; maybe I don’t know how to love. Maybe it’s time for me to seek professional help because I don’t want to go through the rest of my life alone.

 

In the meantime at the FBI Hate Crime Unit, Agent Baxter reviews the file sent from Llanview.  He calls a meeting with his unit to review the information and one of the agents state that some of the scenes are similar to some other unsolved cases in other states.  Agent Baxter then meets with his supervisor and report the findings of his unit on the cursory examination of the Llanview file.  The supervisor then passes the information up the chain of command and it is decided that the FBI will have a physical presence in Llanview for the duration of this investigation.  Agent Baxter is assigned as the one who will serve as the FBI liaison on this case.  He needs to pack his bags and find accommodations in Llanview for the foreseeable future. Not wasting any time Baxter contacts McBain in Llanview and give him the update that the FBI will assist on the case, on ground level, as they say.  McBain secures a room for him at the Angel Square Hotel and will meet with him when he arrives.

 

--------------------------------   

 

Evangeline is moved to a special care facility and access is restricted.  They probably will not allow me to see her any way.  Todd did make it in I find out later.  I wonder whom he bribed to gain access.  Layla tells me that Evangeline’s condition has not improved but they are praying for a quick recovery.  I finally decide to contact Dr. Crosby to schedule regular therapy sessions.  I’m no good to anyone until I can get myself together.  Dr. Crosby is surprised to hear from me but does commend me on making this effort to make a change in my life.  He asked what prompted this complete reversal and I simply told him that it was time for a change.  We will meet once a week after work and it will last as long as I need it to last.  I have a long hard road ahead but it is something that I must do.

 

Baxter and I work on the case every day.  We get some leads and then they disappear.  It’s as if the group knows what we have planned or we have a mole in the department.  After working on the case for months we finally get our first solid lead and act on it.  We make an arrest and the perpetrator admits to the crimes.  We both think that this is too easy.  This guy is covering for someone else. Finally we apprehend the true mastermind of the group and the Feds take him off of our hands because they have tied him to the other cases in other states.  Baxter packs up and leaves but not before giving me a surprise.

 

“McBain in the course of reviewing this case and all the parties involved, and after much research, I noted that your relationship with the victim Evangeline Williamson was quite involved.  How you allowed such a remarkable woman to get away I have no idea.  Women like her don’t come around often. I only wish that she makes a full recovery because when she does I may make my way back to Llanview just to get to know her.  I have been alone long enough and I need someone special in my life and this is one special woman. To open up a shelter for victims of abuse, to fight for her clients the way that she did for Christian Vega and Todd Manning.  That’s special. Well your loss may very well be my gain.  See you around McBain.”

 

I stood there not knowing what to say to that declaration. How dare he think that he can just come in the take Evangeline away from me?  But that’s just it.  She is not mine.  I let her go so he has every right to try to have a life with her.  He has much to offer a woman like Evangeline.  What do I have to offer?  Nothing. I am an emotional cripple.  Well that has to serve as a wake up call for me because I will fight Baxter and anyone else from claiming Evangeline.  She is a prize of great worth and I must prove myself worthy.






Chapter End Notes:

It looks like John has competition.  Will he rise to the challenge or wimp out as usual?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.