Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jethro's point of view at the birth of the twins. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Days in the Lives of Jethro Gibbs and Family

 

(References from the story titled, Past, Present and Future, chapter 14) 

 

 

Chapter 17                        The Greatest Gift

 

 

I think back to that day, the day that my Alexis Marjorie gave me the greatest gift.

 

Delivery day is finally here.  I’ve packed the car and Margie’s making her last stop in the bathroom.  She does that a lot these days. Our babies will be born today.

 

The delivery goes very well and I don’t faint.  They allowed me in the delivery room, at Margie’s insistence.  She said if she had to go through this then I was going through it with her but I wanted to be there to see the birth or our babies. Everyone say hello to and give a welcome to:

 

Richard Joseph Gibbs, born 8:15 a.m., Tuesday, August 21st, 6 lbs, 5 oz, 19 inches long

Nicole Meredith Gibbs, born 8:18 a.m., Tuesday, August 21st, 5 lbs, 10 oz, 18 ½ inches long

 

They are perfect.  Now in the with our babies and family I’m sitting with both babies in my arms and Amanda and Thomas are standing on either side of me while Lydia is taking pictures. Both babies start crying at the same time and we all look at Margie as if to ask ‘what to do’.   She motions for me to bring the children to her and I can see that the front of her gown is wet.   I now know what they want.  Margie’s breasts are leaking and need relief.  She told me to expect this.  While Margie was pregnant she read all that she could about what to expect and I’m glad that we shared that information.  Although I’ve been a father before it was such a long time ago and this is Margie’s first time being a mother and I want to help her as much as possible.  I help her get the babies propped up to her breasts so that they can nurse.  It takes some hits and misses but they finally both latch on and feed to their hearts content.  We can hear our family talking outside the curtains and assure them they everything is fine and that the little ones are simply having their meal.  I walk out to allow Amanda and Lydia to come in.   

 

Thomas and I talk and I tell him how proud I am of Margie.  She did such a terrific job during the operation.

 

“That’s our Alexis, she is a fearless one.  I am so happy for you two.  Jethro thank you for loving our Alexis.  She’s been alone for so long we didn’t think that she would ever marry but you have loved her and now she has children.  Although she never expressed a desire to have children since she became pregnant she’s talked about how happy she is to have to opportunity to be a mother but not just a mother but the mother of your children.  She love you very much.”

 

“Thomas I am the one who should thank you and Amanda for creating such a great woman like Margie well Alexis.  She means the world to me even without the children but today she has given me the greatest gift that I could receive.  When I lost my daughter I didn’t think that I would ever be a father again and I missed that but Alexis has given me that today and I can’t help but love her.  Can you believe it we have twins!  When Margie and I first made it to the room with the babies we just sat and looked at them and each other overwhelmed and overjoyed.  Not to say that we don’t have a lot of work ahead for us but we both agreed that they are worth it.”

 

The curtains open so I guess mealtime is over.  Amanda and Lydia put the sleeping babies in their bassinettes.  Thomas walks over to join them looking at the babies.  I go and stand next to Margie’s bed and kiss her temple and whispers in her ear. 

 

“You did good Alexis.  Thank you.”

 

She smiles and looks at me.  I only call her Alexis when I want to make a point and this time the point is ‘everything turned out fine and you are magnificent’.  She responds,

 

“You are welcome my love.  I think that I will try to nap while the little ones nap.  You and the family can stay you won’t disturb my sleep.  You know when I am in a safe place I can sleep through a train blast.”

 

“Yes you can. Close your eyes and get some rest.  You’ve worked hard today.  I love you Alexis Marjorie Gibbs.”

 

“And I love you Leroy Jethro Gibbs.”

 

With that Margie turns her head and is out like a light.  I don’t know how she does that but she can fall asleep in an instant.  I guess all of those years in the field one had to catch sleep when and where one could and she has made a science of it.  She can fall asleep for exact minutes or hours and wake up like she was in the middle of a conversation.  That’s my girl.

 

While Margie sleeps the family and I sit and talk about the things that we will do when Margie and the babies come home.  We plan it out in an effort to lessen the load that Margie will have to bear.  We know that we can’t nurse the babies but we can do the other things to help make it easier for Margie and the babies.  A tired, worn down Margie won’t help her or the babies.  After we are all satisfied with our plans, Lydia and Margie’s parents leave and I take the opportunity to get a little nap myself.  I fall asleep tired but glad that the babies are finally here and Margie is well.

 

 

The memory of that day brings a smile to my face and on today when my two little daredevils are leaping into the pile of leaves that I just raked I once again in my heart thank my beautiful wife for her great gift to me of not only our twins but of her love for me.  I am thankful.






Chapter End Notes:

Children are gifts that parents give to each other.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.