Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Jethro assumes the worst when he unexpectedly sees Margie on her day off.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Days in the Lives of Jethro Gibbs and Family

 

(This scene occurs early in Margie and Jethro’s marriage and before she’s pregnant with the twins.)

 

 

Chapter 22    Meeting in the dark

 

Our investigation into the murder of a Navy seaman leads McGee and me to a bar and grill in DC.  Even at 1 in the afternoon there are still quite a number of people in the place.  McGee and I head to the bartender and ask him it he has seen Bart Matthews, the proposed witness to the assault.  The bartender points Matthews out to us.  He’s playing pool at the second table in the corner.  McGee and I walk over to talk with him but on our way there I look over to the booths in the other corner and see Margie in a booth sitting close to some guy who’s leaning really close to her.  McGee notices that I’ve stopped and asked what’s wrong. I tell him nothing and continue to the pool table area to talk with Matthews.

 

Bart Matthews is eager to help us.  He knew the dead seaman and thought it so unfair what happened. He says that he did not actually witness the assault but his neighbor did and he is willing to take us to talk with his neighbor.  As we head out of the bar I tell McGee to take Matthews to our car and we will take him to his apartment building and then return him here after we have the information from his neighbor.  

 

With McGee and Matthews out of the bar I walk over to the booth where I saw Margie earlier and notice that the man is gone and Lydia Neumann is now sitting with Margie.  I say hello to both women when I arrive at the table and then ask Margie if I can speak with her alone.  She and I move to vacant area in the back of the booth area.

 

“Margie what are you and Lydia doing here and why were you in that booth with some man who was very close to you?”

 

“Jethro what are you talking about?  Oh wait you mean that guy.”

 

“Yes that guy who was sitting so close to you that I thought that he was in your lap and he had his head so close to yours.  You two seemed so engrossed in your conversation.”

 

“Jethro let me explain.  Lydia and I both have the day off today and our plans were to just relax and do ‘girl’ things when she received a call on her burn phone from one of her informants.  He asked her to meet him here but when we arrived he had a buddy with him whom he couldn’t get rid of withouy the buddy getting suspicious.  Lydia then asked me to divert the buddy’s attention while she spoke with her informant.  So what you saw at the booth was me diverting the buddy’s attention. The guy loves to hear himself talk and I listened until Lydia gave me the all-clear sign and then I made it clear to the buddy that the conversation was over.  He got up and left the booth and Lydia sat down. That’s when you walked up. Now what exactly did you imagine was happening?”

 

“Well I walk into a bar in the middle of the day and find you in a booth in the back with some man who’s sitting so close to you one can only assume that you are together. Add to that it is your day off so imagine my surprise to walk in on that scene.”

 

“Leroy Jethro Gibbs, you’ve allowed your imagination to get the better of you.  Now I don’t know what type of women you’ve been involved with but don’t lump me into that category.  If we can’t trust each other then what is the basis of our relationship?  I guess it is good that I find out this about you early in our marriage so that I can break this suspicious nature that you have.  Perhaps someone cheated on you so you think that I will do the same.  Get it in your head that I am not like the other women you have known.  I am not like any other woman you have known so don’t treat me like I am. You need to go back to work and Lydia and I need to finish our day. I will see you at home later.  Bye.”

 

“Alexis, I apologize for my assumption and unfair treatment of you on this matter. Yes someone cheated on me so I do have a bad taste in my mouth from that experience and you’re right.  You are not like any other woman I have known.  I won’t delay you any longer and I will see you at home.  Bye.”

 

I leave to meet McGee and I feel like a heel for what just happened. I allowed my feelings about a past relationship to impact my relationship with Margie.  But it was an honest mistake I just handled it the wrong way.  I have some groveling to do later.  Flowers and chocolate won’t work.  Margie is allergic to most flowers and she tells me chocolate is her weakness so she avoids it.  I will have to think of something before I make it home tonight.

 

McGee and I meet with Matthews’ neighbor and he confirms the identity of our suspect.  We make the arrest and the guy confesses.  We pass the case on for prosecution.  At least something right happened for me today.  I finish up my work at the office and head home.  

 

I still haven’t thought of what to get for Margie so I arrive home empty handed.   When I arrive Margie is in the kitchen cooking dinner and dancing.  I don’t interrupt her and decide to go upstairs and wash up before confronting her.  I know that I can’t put this off any longer and I should just go in and let her lead the conversation.  I’ve already apologized so I’ll wait to hear what she wants to do.  Walking in to the kitchen I hear Margie say,

 

“Hi honey. I heard you come in the front door but when you didn’t come to the kitchen I thought that you were avoiding me because of what happened earlier today.”

 

“No I wasn’t avoiding you.  I just wanted to wash up before I came in.  What are you cooking?”

 

“Just spaghetti and meatballs, something simple.  It should be ready in a few minutes.  Can we talk for a minute?”

 

“Sure.”

 

“Jethro you have much more experience with romantic relationships than I do so you’ll have to help me with this.  It’s new for me.  I thought about what you thought you saw this afternoon and now I understand how you reached the conclusion that you did.  You saw me sitting in a strange place with a strange man and you assumed that I was involved with this man.  You based your assumption on your past experiences.  I now understand how you made that mistake. I forgive you for almost accusing me of cheating.  Just don’t do it again.”

 

“Alexis Marjorie Gibbs I thank you for your forgiveness and I promise not to make that mistake again.  You are one in a million and I am thankful that you chose me.”

 

“You don’t usually call me Alexis so I know how hard it was for you to say that.  I love you Leroy Jethro Gibbs and there is no one else in this world that I want.  Now I’m glad that we settled that matter.  Time to eat.”

 

So we eat and spend a quiet evening at home.  

 

 

A/N: Sometimes we do allow our feelings about past relationships to cloud our judgment in handling new relationships.  Jethro has learned from his mistake and Margie was gracious enough to not hold it against him.






Chapter End Notes:

Assumptions can be dangerous.  Get all of the facts instead of making hasty judgments.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.