Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Moving into a new neighborhood Margie makes her presence known.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

Days in the Lives of Jethro Gibbs and Family

 

 

 

Chapter 3    Reporting In

 

A week or two before my wedding to Jethro I made a visit to the local police station.  I stopped at the security desk and left my weapon and proceeded inside to meet with the officer in charge.  An officer walked with me to the office and opened the door for me.  I walked it and the officer invited me to sit.

 

“How may I help you today Ms.?  I am Captain Ferguson.”

 

“Nice to meet you Captain Ferguson.  My name is Alexis McGregor and I am moving into the area and wanted to come to introduce myself.  I work for a federal agency in the District and am licensed to carry a firearm at all times.  Here is a copy of my permit and a copy of my ID.  

 

Captain Ferguson I am a runner.  I train for running events like marathons and triathlons and such and in doing so I run in the neighborhood in which I live.  Now that I am moving to a neighborhood in your district I just wanted to make you aware of my presence.  Add to that I am also a member of a running group.  A running group is just what it sounds like, a group of people running together.  We abide by all traffic signals, we do not hinder movement by others on sidewalks and when we can we usually run in a park whenever possible.  Our running group consists of both men and women of various races and ethnic backgrounds, a representation of the many groups of people that call this area their home.  Some of our members wear hijabs, baseball caps, hoodies, skull caps and an assortment of other apparel but we are all runners.  We just like to run.

 

You may ask why do I come to tell you this, well you know what is happening in our nation Captain Ferguson and I do not want to become a statistic in all of that. We are all law abiding citizens just trying to get some exercise.  We do not want to be mistaken for something other than what we are, runners out for a run.  I really hope that we don’t have resort to wearing some type of identifying markers for that would be a violation of our civil liberties.  We don’t want any trouble with anyone Captain Ferguson and I am sure that you can appreciate my addressing this matter with you at this time.”

 

“Ms. McGregor I do appreciate that you have come to me to inform me of this beforehand. I am not naïve enough to not know to what incidents you refer.  It has placed an unfortunate light on police officers and we work hard here in our district to protect and serve the public.  All of the public not just some of the public.  Rest assured that your group will be safe in our area and I will make my officers aware of your presence so that we will not have any ‘mistakes’.  The duty Sergeant will present this information at the next roll call. When do you move in if I may ask?”

 

“I appreciate your attention to this matter Captain Ferguson. I move in within the next month.  Here is my address. I’ve already mapped out possible running routes so here is the map for those.  Thank you for your time and I will not take up any more of it. Good day Captain Ferguson.”

 

“Good day Ms. McGregor.  Enjoy your running.”

 

“I will Captain, I most certainly will.”

 

I did not have any problems with any of the officers under Captain Ferguson’s command.  As a matter of fact by the time I was pregnant with the twins and had started walking instead of running, the officers knew me on sight.  One time while I walking with my ‘walk’ group one of the officers drove up and inquired as to my health and if I needed transport back home.  I assured him that I was fine and that I appreciated the offer.  I was about seven months pregnant then and really looked like a beach whale but I was walking nonetheless.  

 

So that reporting in worked better than I anticipated.  Now years later many of the officers have advanced in rank and some have moved on to other stations or cities but officers still honk when they see my running group or me.  I do send fruit baskets to the station each year at Christmas time along with a card thanking them for their ‘protection and service’ of and to the public.

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

Don't forget to leave a review.  Thnx.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.