Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Some people just don't know when to stop.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

The JOVAN Saga – A Collection of One-Shots

 

Author’s Note: Just a reminder that all of the stories in this collection are based upon actual scenes from the One Life to Life television series involving the characters Evangeline Williamson and John McBain.  This writer has added a few embellishments to the scenes. The chapters in this collection represent those scenes but are not in any particular order.  ENJOY!!

 

 

Chapter 13    Intentions

 

 

Stopping at the police station to collect a file before meeting Nora for lunch one of the officers graciously assists me.  While waiting for his return Natalie starts jabbering about some nonsense so I’m not paying much attention to her until I hear her say, 

 

“Gee she does shut up.”

 

Turning around I face her and respond,

 

“My relationship with John was one based on mutual respect and I didn’t have to bat an eye or set myself up to be decapitated to get his attention.”

 

At that point she raises her hand to slap me and I catch her arm as she raises it and look her in the eye and say,

 

“You don’t want this little girl.”

 

She struggles to release her arm and by then the officer returns and then Commissioner Buchanan comes out of his office and asks what happened. Natalie responded that I said something to upset her.  Bo then looks at me and before he can say anything the officer speaks up,

 

“Commissioner, Ms. Williamson did nothing wrong.  She was simply talking with Mrs. Vega when Mrs. Vega tried to slap Ms. Williamson.  Ms. Williamson caught Mrs. Vega’s arm before she could slap her.  Ms. Williamson was defending herself.”

 

“Well I won’t have any altercations in my police station.”

 

“Commissioner Buchanan is that all you have to say?  Your officer informs you that one of your staff attempted to assault an attorney here in ‘your’ police station and all you have to say is that you won’t have any altercations here.  Will Mrs. Vega receive any reprimand for her actions?”

 

“Ms. Williamson, Mrs. Vega said that you provoked her.”

 

“Your own officer refuted her claim Commissioner.  Well if you will not reprimand her then in order to protect myself from any future attacks from her I must exercise my legal rights in this matter.  I want to press charges against Mrs. Vega for assault.  Officer if you provide me with the necessary forms and enforce these charges.”

 

“Evangeline are you serious?  Do you really want to press this matter?  Everyone knows that there is bad blood between the two of you so do you think that presses charges will help the issue.”

 

“Commissioner Buchanan at this moment I refuse to address this matter with you.  It seems as if I must speak with the District Attorney about this matter.  I am meeting her for lunch in a few minutes.  Now I am waiting for you or someone to arrest Mrs. Vega for attempted assault.”

 

“All right have it your way Evangeline but I think that you are making a mistake. Officer Cerutti arrest Mrs. Vega.”

 

“Yes Sir.”

 

Officer Cerutti takes Natalie down to book her for assault. Once she’s escorted out of the area Bo asks to speak with me privately.

 

“Commissioner Buchanan I respectfully decline to have any further conversation with you at this time.  It would not be beneficial to either of us.  As I previously stated I have a previously scheduled meeting that I must attend.  Goodbye.”

 

I leave him standing there in front of his office.  Not believing the stupidity of that entire scene I arrive at the Palace and find Nora already seated at a table.  She’s talking on her phone and I know that she’s talking with Bo.  I wait for her to finish her conversation.

 

“So I hear that you caused a ruckus at the station.  Bo thinks that you overreacted.”

 

“Did he tell you that his niece tried to slap me?”

 

“Yes he did but he also said that she claimed that you provoked her.  Not that it makes it difference if you did because any physical response to a verbal is inappropriate.  Do you really want to continue with these charges?”

 

“Not you too Nora.  She works in a police station and someone says something to her and her response is to physically attack the person.  Why aren’t you in an uproar about that?  Forget that I was the person in question a police station is a volatile arena.  Suppose that she does that to someone else the city could have a civil suit on their hands as well as a criminal case against Natalie.  Everybody coddles her and so she thinks that she can say and do whatever she wants.  Do you remember when she slapped Jen Rappaport?  Jen should have filed charges against her then.”

 

“Yes I remember that about her and Jen but are you sure you want to proceed with this? What does John say about all of this?”

 

“Why would John say anything about this.  It has nothing to do with him.  Although our conversation was about my relationship with John it was not about him specifically so he has no say in this case.”

 

“Oh my goodness, she’s here. Bo must have let her out.  Don’t say anything to her let me handle this.”

 

“No I won’t do that Nora.  If she confronts me again I will defend myself.”

 

“Evangeline you do not want to have a scuffle with Natalie here in the Palace.  You are an officer of the court and you will have more to lose than she will.  Let me handle this.”

 

The waiter is standing at our table refilling our water glasses when Natalie comes up and pushes him out of the way.  She starts yelling at me about having her arrested and that I won’t get away with it and once again she raises her hand to slap me but before she can make contact the waiter grabs her hand and bends it behind her back. A police officer was having lunch there with a friend and witnessed this altercation came up to assist the waiter. The restaurant manager came up and asked the officer to remove Mrs. Vega.  The officer asked me if I wanted to press charges and looking at Nora and then at the officer I say, “Yes, I will meet you at the station to file the paperwork.”

 

“Now you see the monster that all the coddling has created.  She tried to assault me in a public place.  Evidently Bo didn’t arrest her as he instructed Officer Cerutti to do.  Probably as soon as I left he ran down to booking and told them to cancel her arrest.  You’re the District Attorney Nora what do you plan to do about this?”

 

“I agree with you Evangeline she has gotten out of hand.  Don’t worry about Bo I will handle him.  She will be arrested for real this time I will see to it. As for Bo I will try to explain to him that he is not helping his niece by bailing her out of every predicaments she creates for herself.  Come on let’s go the station and finish this.”

 

We make it to the station and the room is buzzing with the news of Natalie’s misbehavior.  Upon seeing me enter the room all talking stops.  Nora continues on to Bo’s office and I stop to complete the paperwork, once again, with Officer Cerutti.  He apologizes for not following through initially and I assure him that I understand that he was following orders and I can’t fault him for that.

 

Upon completion of the paperwork I ask Officer Cerutti to inform DA Hannan that I will return to my office and she can reach me there. Upon exiting the room I bump into entering the room.

 

“Hi Evangeline are you just leaving?”

 

“Yes I am I have a lot of work to do.  Excuse me.  Goodbye.”

 

“Can we talk?”

 

“There’s nothing to talk about John.  Bye.”

 

I leave and return to my office glad to get away from that crazy scene at the station.  I know that he will soon hear about what happened between Natalie and me and will want to talk about it but I don’t want to talk with him about that. He’s part of the reason that she acts the way that she does.  Always running to her rescue from troubles that she caused herself to have. No I don’t want to talk to him. In a way I’m glad for all of this work that I have because it keeps my mind off of thinking about the mess between John and me.  

 

Hours later and many files done I call it a day.  I have not heard from Nora so I take that as good news.  Now for a hot shower and some food.  Sitting on my sofa with a nice cup of tea I clear my mind of all the mess of the day.  The calm envelops me and now it is time for bed.  Then I hear a knock at my door.  Who’s visiting me at this time of night?  Nora would have called so it’s not her.  Oh good grief don’t tell me that Natalie is crazy enough to come to my home to harass me.  She’s just asking for more trouble.  Going to the door I ask who it is.

 

“Evangeline it’s me John.  May I come in?”

 

Not wanting to have this conversation in the hallway I open the door and allow him to enter.  I do not invite him to sit because I do not want him to stay long.

 

“I heard about what happened today between you and Natalie.  Are you all right?”

 

“Yes I am fine John but that was hours ago why are you here now.”

 

“I didn’t come earlier because I was working on a report that was due today.  I started to call you several times but I wanted to see with my own eyes that you are okay.”

 

“Now that you’ve seen me you can leave.”

 

“I still want you Evangeline.  Can we try again?”

 

“What will be different this time John.  Natalie is still ever present and you are always going to her whenever she calls.  I can’t go through that again.  I won’t go through that again.”

 

“Natalie is no longer an issue.  After hearing what she did to you today I went to her and told her that I will no longer come to her rescue.  She’s out on bail, as you probably already know.  I told her that although she and I may be friends I am not the only person who can help her.  She has family in this town that she can call.I told her that with my job and private life I don’t have time for her.  She asked me what private life and I told her my life with you.”

 

“You don’t have a life with me John.  You told Natalie that you love her so go be with the one you love.”

 

“Evangeline I am not in love with Natalie.  I told her that and I told you that but neither of you want to believe me. What do I have to do to convince you?”

 

“Make up your mind who you want John.  Stop flitting back and forth between us like a darn bumblebee.  I told you that if you want her go to her and leave me alone BUT if you want me then commit to me.  I have to be your priority.  If she calls you and we are together doing something you can’t just stop and leave me to wait for you to return from rescuing her.  You have done that so many times.”

 

“I know that I have and my flitting days are over.  You need to know what else I told her.  When I heard that she tried to hit you not once but twice I told her that she won’t get a third opportunity and to stay away from you. She said that I can’t prevent her from approaching you and I told her that she was wrong.  I told her that I would file a restraining order against her to stay away from me.  She asked me how that would prevent her from getting to you.  I told her that I would always be with you so that if she came after you she would be in violation of my restraining order. Of course you can always file a restraining order against her yourself but either way she will not harm you again.”

 

“John I’m not afraid of Natalie.  If she comes after me I assure you that I will not be the one who is hurt by the encounter.”

 

“Whoa! I’m afraid of you big bad one.”

 

“I’m not kidding John.  If Bo does not rein in his niece I will have to take this up with the Civil Service Board.  Her actions are inappropriate for a civil servant.  There were witnesses of both occurrences and both police officers.  Their statements are now a matter of record.  And furthermore, although I did not say this to Bo or Nora at the time, if he allows her to continue doing this it will put his job in jeopardy.  He is the Police Commissioner after all and allowing such behavior in his staff does not speak well for his ability to command.  I don’t care if she is his niece.  That is no excuse.  He should have arrested her the first time as he said he would and we would have been spared the second incident.  Now although she got away with a misdemeanor charge of assault should she attempt again and actually touch me then she has a felony charge of battery.  I don’t anticipate a repeat attempt but the girl is not working ‘with a full deck’.  She has entitlement issues.  She thinks that she’s entitled to do whatever she wants.  So far most people have allowed her to do just that but I will no longer be one of those persons. Now I will say this to you so there is no confusion.  I have a right to defend myself against harm.  Natalie has made it abundantly clear that she intends to harm me so I have to be prepared to defend myself.”

 

“Okay don’t tell me anymore.  The less I know the better should something happen.  Now you didn’t say anything in response to my saying that I will be with you all of the time.”

 

“What do you expect me to say John you were just speaking hypothetically I assume. I’m tired and can’t think right now so you have to go.”

 

“All right I won’t press you on the matter but I will talk with you tomorrow if that is okay with you.”

 

“I have a full schedule in court tomorrow John so I don’t see that I will have any time for you.”

 

“Call me when you can then.  Will you do that?”

 

“Maybe that’s all that I can give you now go.”

 

“Good night.”

 

He leaves and then my phone rings and I move to answer and forget to lock the door.  With the phone in my hand I turn around and in my doorway stands Natalie. She rushes me and I drop the phone on the sofa but did not hang up.

 

“Natalie what are you doing here haven’t you done enough harm for one day?”

 

“I just saw John leaving.  Are you two back together?  He doesn’t love you. He told me that he loves me. Why can’t you leave us alone? He doesn’t want you.”

 

“Natalie why are you here?  What are your intentions? Why don’t you just leave and go home? This will not end well for you.”

 

“What are you going to do?  There’s no one here to come to your rescue like in the police station or at the Palace. It’s just you and me.  I grew up in the streets of Atlantic City and you grew up in you cushy neighborhood you don’t know how to fight for what you want but I do.  You can’t have John he belongs to me.”

 

“If he belongs to you then go to him and leave me alone.”

 

“But he wants you, he told me that he doesn’t want me but you probably told him to say that. With you out of the picture then he will be all mine.”

 

“What do you mean with me out of the picture?  John and I are not together so you have a clear road to him so go get him.”

 

“You’re not listening to me.  He said that he wants you but if I get rid of you then he will only have me as a choice and then I win.”

 

“What is this some kind of game for you.  John is not a prize to win or lose.  He is a human being who has the right to make his own choices.”

 

“Oh that’s easy for you to say when he chooses you.  No I need to get rid of you and then he has not choice but me.”

 

“And just how do you plan to get rid of me Natalie?”

 

All of this time I’m trying to keep Natalie talking.  It was Nora who called and since I did not hang up I hope that she is listening and contacting the authorities.

 

“With this.”

 

Natalie then pulls out a gun from her purse.  She’s looking at it as if mesmerized.  I stand still so as not to alarm her with any sudden movement.  The appearance of the gun has taken this from a nuisance case to one of mortal danger.  So as to alert Nora to the drastic turn this matter has taken I say in a raised voice,

 

“Natalie why do you have a gun?  What do you plan to do with it?”

 

“I will get rid of you.  After you’re gone then John will move on with me like he did when he moved on with you after Caitlin. All the time that I was chasing him and trying to get his attention I know that he wanted you.  I was offering myself to him at every turn but he wouldn’t leave you.  You left him but he still wants you.  With you gone then he will be all mine.  I’m not crazy I know exactly what I’m doing.  I have everyone taking up for me.  You did see how Uncle Bo ran to my defense at the station.  I can tell them anything and they believe.  I play the innocent and they believe me, even John, but he still won’t leave you.”

 

Nora come on I cannot keep her talking forever.  Someone has to be on the way by now.  The door is still open so they will have clear access to capture her.  Hurry up somebody.

 

“Did you hear me Evangeline it’s time to go.”

 

“To go where Natalie?  Where do you plan to take me?”

 

“Some place secret and no one will ever find you.  Come on we need to leave now.”

 

“Let me at least put on some clothes Natalie. I’m not dressed to go outside.”

 

“Don’t worry about clothes you won’t be alive long enough to need clothes so come on and stop stalling.”

 

Well it doesn’t look like anybody is coming to my rescue. One thing I do know is that I am not leaving here with Natalie.  One of us will not make it out of my apartment.  Making up my mind to fight to the death I start toward her when I see movement behind her and then officers rush in and grab her from behind.  In the scuffle the gun goes off and the bullet shatters my lamp.  Tackling her to the floor they remove the gun from her hand and pulls her hands behind her back to handcuff her.  They remove her from my apartment and ask if I need a ride to the police station, then I hear,

 

“No she won’t need a ride I will bring her to the station.”

 

In walks John.  He rushes to me and hugs me so tight.  Then his phone rings.  I can’t believe this.  Why does his phone ring every time.  He pulls it out and hands it to me.

 

“Evangeline are you all right!  Oh my goodness I can’t believe that this happened!  I heard everything and called the police as soon as I realized what was happening.  I’m calling from my house phone because I still have you on my cell phone that’s how I knew that John had arrived.  He heard my call to the police station on his scanner and came back to your apartment just as the other officers arrived.  I called him and asked him not to do the arrest but allow the other officers to do it so that no one can argue preferential treatment. I continued to listen in on my cell and when I heard his voice I called his cell from my house phone.  I will meet you at the station and then I think that you need to go to the hospital and make sure that you are all right.  Natalie may not have physically injured you but I want you to speak with someone at the hospital tonight.  Don’t tell me no because I will take you there myself.  I’m calling Dr. Jamison as I drive to the station.  Now go to the station with John and I will see you there.”

 

“Nora I won’t argue with you about any of this.  Thank you for saving my life.  I will see you at the station.”

 

John and I make it to the station and the officers have Natalie in booking once again.  This time she won’t walk out after a few hours.  The seriousness of this case cannot be ignored. One thing that Nora had the foresight to do while all of this was happening was to tape the conversation.  Natalie won’t be able to deny anything that happened.  Felony attempted kidnapping and assault and battery with a deadly weapon are the charges.  Nora arranges an emergency hearing with one of my favorite judges who orders no bail and Natalie to stay in jail until the trial that is set for two weeks.  

 

Nora does take me to the hospital and I meet with Dr. Jamison for several hours.  By the time that I leave it is early morning and I am completed exhausted. Dr. Jamison advises that I meet with him some time next week for a follow up session and I agree. Nora takes me back home and offers to stay with me the night but I tell her that I will be fine and she leaves. No sooner than she leaves but someone else shows up at my door.  I expected no less of him so I let him enter.

 

“I am so sorry that this happened to you.  Somehow I feel a bit responsible but don’t worry I won’t add that to my list of guilt that I carry around on a daily basis.  That was all Natalie.  She would not take no for an answer and tried to make things turn out the way that she wanted.  What can I do to help you?”

 

“Can you stay here tonight?  I feel a little vulnerable.  You can sleep on the couch okay.  I’ll get bedding for you and some towels for you to shower.  I think that I have some of your clothes that you left here that you could use for the night.  You can put your dirty clothes in the washer.  You know where everything is.  I’m going to bed.  Thank you John.  Goodnight.”

 

“Goodnight Evangeline.  Get some rest. I’ll be here when you wake in the morning.”

 

“You usually leave before I do so how will you be here when I wake up?”

 

“I told Bo that if you needed me that I would be there for you so I put in for leave for a few days.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Go to sleep. I’ll see you in a few hours.”

 

I go to my room, shower and hop in the bed.  As soon as my head hits the pillow I am asleep.  The next morning I wake to the smell of fresh coffee, toast, eggs and sausage.  That’s the breakfast that John would always cook for me whenever he stayed over.  I go to my bathroom for my daily constitution and then throw on my robe and head for the kitchen. He’s there dressed and putting the food on the plate.  He evidently heard me approach.

 

“How are you feeling this morning?  Come on let’s eat you’ll feel a lot better with a full stomach.”

 

We eat and don’t talk.  I just look at him.  After a few minutes I guess my staring confuses him and he says,

 

“What’s up, do I have something on my face?  Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

“I could get used to this.”

 

“Get used to what?”

 

“Waking up every day to you cooking me breakfast and the two of us sitting and eating together.”

 

“Really!”

 

“Yes, really. John I’m tired of fighting my feelings for you but I need to tell you something and I need to ask something before I decide to let go of these feelings or give in to them.”

 

“Ask away.”

 

“What do you want from me and where do you see a relationship with me going?”

 

“That’s fair enough.  First what I want from you is your love and where I see our relationship going is marriage.”

 

“But John you know how I feel about marriage. Most of them end in divorce.”

 

“But what’s the alternative Evangeline, endless years of dating or living together without marriage.  I can’t do either one.”

 

“I can understand that.  You probably want a life like your parents had and that’s only reasonable.  Now what I want to tell you is …”

 

“Wait Evangeline I have to tell you something first, I love you and more than I knew before tonight.  When I heard the call about Natalie holding you at gunpoint my heart felt like it shattered.  I don’t know what I would have done if you had not made it.  I know grief. I felt that when Caitlin died but if Natalie had killed you I don’t know if I could have survived that.  You hold my heart captive Evangeline.  Will you marry me today?”

 

“Are you crazy where can we get married today?”

 

“We can fly to Las Vegas and get married today and then come back and have a traditional wedding and reception.”

 

“I’m only getting married once and I don’t want a tacky Las Vegas ceremony.”

 

“So you will marry then?  Will you marry me and if so when?”

 

“When is the earliest we can get married here in Llanview?”

 

“Three days.”

 

“The trial is in two weeks so that gives us time to get married before then.”

 

“People will think that you’re crazy to marry me and will wonder what’s the rush.”

 

“I almost died last night.  When Natalie pulled out that gun I resolved to fight her to the death.  I was not leaving my apartment with her.  My life starts again today and I know what and whom I want.  Now McBain get on the phone and make things happen. I will make my calls and we will compare notes in a few hours.  You might want to go to your apartment and get some clothes because you will sleep on my sofa until the night before our wedding.  I’m not taking any chances on you to come up missing on our wedding day.  Now get busy.”

 

“Yes ma’am. I’ll go to my apartment now and get some things.  I’ll come right back.”

 

“Do that.”

 

“I am to infer that since I’m sleeping on the couch that we will not make love until the wedding night?”

 

“Yes you are correct.  We made that mistake the first go around we won’t make it now.”

 

“I agree with you on that.  See you in a few.”

 

 

It is amazing what you can do in such a short time when you are determined.  After John returned we went to the courthouse for the license.  One of the clerks informed us that the waiting period was reduced from three days to two days.  Everyone makes it in on time.  The ceremony is beautiful, my dress is beautiful, John is handsome and everyone has fun.  We decide to delay the honeymoon until after the trial but we do spend our wedding night in the bridal suite at the Palace compliments of the management.  Renee Buchanan was so horrified at what Natalie did that she gave for free the reception and the honeymoon suite.  Natalie’s evil intentions failed and now John and I look forward to a happy life together.






Chapter End Notes:

Only a few more chapters before we put an end to this collection.  Thnx for reading and do leave a review.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.