Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

An unexpected meeting reveals feeling long buried.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

The JOVAN Saga – A Collection of One-Shots

 

 

Chapter 5            A  Face in the Crowd

 

One would think that with all the turmoil caused by their own mother that the brothers Manning would get along better than they do.  When the real Todd Manning returned to town and the imposter was identified as the twin brother, Victor Lord, everyone was shocked.  Even more surprising to everyone was to learn that their ‘dear’ mother Irene Manning orchestrated the entire ruse.  What kind of sick person does something like that to their own children? No wonder these men are the way that they are, it must be in the genes and I don’t mean Levis.

 

Look at them arguing now.  I guess they are both here covering the Governors’ conference at the convention center in Harrisburg.  That’s not the only meeting taking place at the convention center this week. Antonio and I are attending the law enforcement officer seminar as ordered by Commissioner Buchanan.  And I do say ‘ordered’ because otherwise I would not be found dead at a ‘seminar’.  But I might as well make good use of the time.  We are on a break from our meeting so I decided to sit in the hall and people watch.  

 

You can tell a lot about people by just watching them.  Now the Manning/Lord duo don’t like each other very much you can tell that by the fact that they are arguing and two by their body language, it exudes, ‘get away from me, I don’t want to hear a thing that you have to say’.  Victor Lord thought that he was Todd Manning while the real Todd Manning was being held prisoner.  Todd has now reunited with his wife and children and Victor is now an outsider in the midst.  Victor did have a son while in the guise of Todd, but that was not his choice.  That is a totally other story that I won’t tell right now.  Victor also has since found out that he has a daughter with his former attorney, Tea Delgado. They’re trying to make a go of it as a family but the verdict is still out on that.

 

Speaking of finding out about fathering a child, I too have a child who I didn’t know was mine for quite some time.  The woman that I was going to marry told me on our wedding day that the child was not mine but was fathered by her sister’s boyfriend. Then later blood tests prove that the child is mine.  Talk about a merry-go-round that was really one, but, thankfully I am off that ride for good.  Natalie and I are not together anymore but we both take care of our son Liam. What is the saying, ‘if it wasn’t for bad luck I wouldn’t have any luck at all’.  

 

Don’t get me started on thinking about all of my lost chances for better things.  One time years ago I had the good fortune to meet someone who really challenged me, who made me think about things and feel things that I never thought that I would think and feel again.  She loved me and I squandered that love.  I didn’t think that I could love again but I knew that if I ever did it would be with her but I blew that golden opportunity. I can’t blame Natalie for my stupidity.  Yes Natalie threw herself at me with her low cut blouses and tight pants and skirts and hey I am a man and I am not blind.  But she also manufactured times for us to be together like the time when her mother locked us in the evidence room.  That night Evangeline was waiting for me to have dinner with her and her former professor.  So many times Natalie insinuated herself in my relationship with Evangeline but I can’t fault Natalie because I let it happen.  At the time I wasn’t in love with Natalie but I was falling in love with Evangeline.  Well no use crying over spilt milk that is all in the past now and we can’t change what happened.  But I do remember the good times with Evangeline and I know that it was my fault that we didn’t make it.

 

Well break time is almost over.  I give one more glance over to the Manning/Lord duo and find that Manning has left but Victor Lord is still there looking at his watch.  Guess it’s time for his session to start again too.  I rise from the bench where I am sitting and then I see that Victor was waiting for someone and they have arrived.  Out of all of the people in the world to show up here, at this place, at this time, Evangeline Williamson.

 

I had heard from Layla that Evangeline had recovered from her coma but that she also would not return to Llanview.  After that no one said much to me about her.  I guess that they figured I didn’t want to know since I had not seen or spoken with her even before the attack by the OPP group. She lingered in the coma for three years but recovered with all of her mental faculties intact.  It took rehabilitation therapy to get her body back in shape but looking at her now she looks as beautiful as ever.  It doesn’t surprise me that Victor Lord kept in touch with her.  When he was Todd Manning he and Evangeline were very good friends and at one time it seemed that their friendship was headed in a more romantic direction and then the OPP attack.  Todd kept tabs on her and when she recovered he was there to cheer her on.  When he found out that he was not Todd but Victor she was the one person to calm him down from killing his mother.  Me, I would have let him do it because she deserved it, but then I would have had to arrest him.

 

Here she is here now hugging him and smiling at him.  To say I am jealous doesn’t even skim the surface of what I feel watching their reunion.  She touches his cheek and he leans into her hand.  I used to do that.  Then something happens that takes me totally by surprise. A tall handsome man walks up behind Evangeline and takes her by the waist and kisses her cheek all while holding a little boy in his other arm.  She leans into this man and turns around and kisses him.  She kisses him on the lips and not a peck of a kiss either.  The little boy she takes from the man and kisses him on the cheek.  I’m too far away to hear what they are saying but the touches, kisses and caresses say enough for me to know that this is someone in her life now.

 

“There you are John I have been looking for you.  It’s time to go back in now.  Oh, I see that you see Evangeline.  Have you spoken with her?  I saw her earlier and she introduced me to her husband and her son.  Her husband is also an attorney and is here visiting family.  Evangeline knew that Victor was in town so she came down to see him and to introduce her husband and son.  Doesn’t she look good?  She deserves happiness after all that happened to her.  I’m glad that she’s doing well.  John are you all right?”

 

“I can only say this to you Antonio so don’t repeat it.  I wish that she was my wife and that the child was my son.  She loved me once and I messed up Antonio. I had the best and settled for less and now I have nothing.  So no I am not all right but like you I am glad that she has found happiness because she certainly deserves it.  Come on let’s go back for the afternoon session. Bo will expect us to learn something while we are here.”

 

“I’m sorry that I didn’t know that you felt this way after all of these years.”

 

 

“I didn’t know it myself until I saw her just now.  To her I’m probably just a face in the crowd and nothing more.  Let’s go.”






Chapter End Notes:

Don't forget to leave a review. Thnx.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.