Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

 

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

 

ONCE A THIEF © Copyright 2013 D.D. Marie

 

Cover art by D.D. Marie

 

Electronic book publication April 2014

 

With the exception of quotes used in reviews, this book may not be reproduced or used in whole or in part by any means existing without written permission from the publisher, D.D. Marie.

 

Please do not redistribute or upload to share sites. Any attempt at pirating this brand or

 

work is in direct of the author’s copyright.

 

Warning: The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is

 

illegal. No part of this book may be scanned, uploaded or distributed via the Internet or any other

 

means electronic or print, without the publisher’s permission. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000. (http://www.fbi.gov/ipr/).

 

Please purchase only authorized electronic or print editions and do not participate in or encourage the electronic piracy of copyrighted material. Your support of the author’s rights is appreciated.

 

 

 

Dedication:

 

 

 

To my husband, thank you for your support through this process. To my daughter, you inspire me. I love you both, so very much.

 

 




Author's Chapter Notes:

I wrote this story in 2007 then re-wrote; it received great reviews. I thought my love for this tale had faded then with renewed love, I re-wrote and copyrighted in 2013. I have wanted to share the re-write for quite sometime but life had put a hold on my writing for a while, most rcently with my mother battling cancer...a battle that she thankfully won. As of July 2018, she has been cancer free....she is still recovering from chemo but getting stronger everyday. I am thankful for the blessing and ready to get back on track. I am continuing on my journey to become a publish author. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Once A Thief

 

1.

 

Life was a jokester…….

 

That was what popped into Ian’s head as he walked about the main ballroom of the Gallagher Hotel, admiring the expensive artwork which decorated its walls. In addition, he was also aware of the glass cases lined with fine pieces of jewelry which sat in a secure room no more than a few feet from where he now stood. Soon, to be brought out into the open to be auctioned off to the hundred plus guests attending Martin Gallagher’s private fundraiser taking place that evening.

 

Ian found humor in the fact he of all people was in attendance. He was more accustomed to taking rather than giving and that instinct in him made his fingers itch. 

 

He could remove every item in there quickly, quietly if he wanted to…and oh, how part of him longed to act on the idea. But, that part of him had been laid to rest sometime ago. In its place now stood the well-established businessman whose success in creating an elite security system had landed him a contract installing his system at the hotel, specifically for this auction. And, the added role of monitoring the activities taking place by direct request from Martin Gallagher himself.

 

No, he wasn’t a charitable man; however, he was a smart man. And, smart men knew well enough not to ruffle feathers or burn bridges. Not, with a man like Gallagher; a man whose words could afford him more opportunities to contract clients of Gallagher’s caliber.

 

Ian moved away from the art and made his way over to an empty table, taking a seat. He watched the guests. Among them were politicians, businessmen and women, actors, models, etc., all gathered together in this one place.

 

He studied them all, in his head calculating the potential earnings. He smirked mischievously….old habits die hard! But also, made a mental note of each and every face. He possessed a talent for memorizing large quantities of information in a short period of time; not just memorizing, but retaining. Once he was certain he’d committed each one to memory, he relaxed a bit.

 

It was quite an impressive turn out, he had to admit. Like himself, the men wore tuxedos, most far more traditional then what he preferred.  The women wore amazingly beautiful gowns of different styles and colors; their bodies decorated with precious stones, some sparkled, some shined.

 

All were grand, but none as grand as the ballroom itself with its high ceiling which held large, crystal chandeliers. And, walls which were a throw back to roman architecture with long white columns that stretched from floor to ceiling. The staircase was wide, with a marble banister on each side. The stairs were covered with rich dark red carpet that flowed outward across the floor. Large, wide-paned windows allowed for a view of the rear terrace, which could be accessed through equally wide glass doors. Just beyond them was a garden with a stone pathway. 

 

Martin Gallagher spared no expensive in creating his hotel. And, why should he? Ian thought. What’s the point of being wealthy if you didn’t spend your money on the finer things in life?

 

None, he answered, rising to snag a glass from one of the several hostesses making their way around the room with silver trays of wine, champagne and hors d’oeuvres; absolutely none.

 

Speaking of the man of the hour, he had yet to see Martin or any of the family for that fact. He wondered where they could be for a moment then shrugged, taking a sip of his champagne. It was their function and it really wasn’t his business when or if they arrived.

 

He turned his attention back to surveying the guests. Soft music flowed through the room, mixing with hushed conversations. His eyes moved about, observing, noting, questioning. He found himself wondering if he was the only one here with a secret past; in this crowd, he highly doubted it. The rich always had something to hide. 

 

He smirked.

 

It was then he noticed the petite blonde watching at him flirtatiously. His deep blue eyes drank in her appearance from her long slender legs to the generous view of the swell of her breasts, housed in a gown as red as her lips. His head tilted slightly, enjoying the view. Clearly, she had more than acquiring art on her agenda. And, for him, it looked as if the evening was going to be an enjoyable one after all.

 

Red lips curved into a knowing smile then she raised her glass to him. He raised his own glass in acknowledgment just as a movement behind her caught his attention. He shifted his eyes to the top of the stairs and the glass almost slipped from his hand.

 

It couldn’t be…

 

****

 

Chenoa stood at the top of the stairs gazing out over the crowd below. Anyone looking at her would see a composed, sophisticated woman. But truth be told, she was a bundle of nerves. This was her first big event and she was more than a little concerned about being a failure.

 

She’d moved to Laurel Valley, PA on a whim, and in doing so, found a quiet and peaceful place, perfect for a start fresh. Then, luck sent this incredible opportunity to work for the Gallagher Corporation her way.  

 

She held the position of Public Relations Executive for just shy of one year, but quickly gained the family’s trust and Martin Gallagher’s respect. She did not want to let them down. “We’re late”, she said, appalled by the thought. “I knew we were going to be”.

 

Kevin Gallagher held out his arm to her. “We’re not late, relax”.

 

Reluctantly, she slid her arm through his. “We most definitely are. Look, all the guest seemed to have arrived”. She huffed, “What must they be thinking? Not a Gallagher in sight at their own function. And me, I planned this event. I can’t imagine what they might be saying about me”.

 

“No one in this room would utter a single negative word about the Gallagher family”, Kevin stated.

 

“That may be, but I’m not a Gallagher”, Chenoa pointed out.

 

Kevin just smiled at her then leaned in and whispered in her ear. “Did I tell you how beautiful you look tonight?”

 

“Yes”.

 

And she did. Her thick black hair was pulled back into a fancy little bun, showing off the diamond studs in her ears, which matched the single diamond necklace she donned. The black and white gown she wore showed off her slender yet curvy figure and the smooth brown skin of her neck and shoulders. The slit at the bottom of her dress stopped at the knee and when she walked, anyone watching got a tastefully appreciative look at her long legs. When she moved the light from the chandeliers danced across the dress causing it to shimmer. 

 

Everyone watched them as they descended the staircase. When they reached the last step, applause broke out around the room. Behind them, the other members of the Gallagher family began to enter and the applause grew even louder.

 

Just before they made their way into the crowd Kevin turned to her; his green eyes gazed into her brown ones. He took her hand. “The only thing these people see is what I saw from the beginning; a classy woman with brains, beauty and a kind heart”.

 

Chenoa studied him. Her eyes roamed over his boyishly handsome face from the top of his dark blonde head to the slight clef in his chin then back to bright green eyes that watched her just as closely. During the ride to the hotel, she told herself repeatedly that their arrival together was just business; this was not a date. But, now she found herself wondering.

 

Kevin had been her mentor and supporter since she arrived at the Gallagher Corporation. It was he who convinced Martin to give her full run of this year’s charity event. In the short time that they had known each other, they had also become close friends. Was their friendship blossoming into more? “Kevin”.

 

“Just accept the compliment Chenoa”, Kevin interrupted, smiling at her again, knowing her well enough to understand she was dissecting what he said, like she dissected everything.

 

She smiled back, “Thank you”.

 

 

 

Martin Gallagher descended the staircase slowly. He studied his grandson and his newest employee. He suspected Kevin had taken a liking to Chenoa. The way Kevin currently interacted with her confirmed his suspicion was valid. He’d have a talk with Kevin later, see how deep his feelings for Chenoa ran but for now, he’d focus his attention on the business at hand.

 

Yes, this was a charity auction but there were business deals waiting to be made also. And, there was nothing he liked more than closing a deal.

 

****

 

Six years….

 

It had been six years since he last saw her and she hadn’t changed one bit. She was as beautiful now as she had been then.

 

Ian drank in her appearance, remembering. Cocoa-colored skin, soft and smooth to the touch; thick, shiny hair, that ran through his fingers like black silk. And those eyes, slanted pools of chocolate brown that as his recalled would turn the blackest of blackest in the heat of passion.

 

Seeing her caught him completely by surprise.  A flood of emotions crashed down upon him; emotions he’d locked away, but had never forgotten.

 

Why was she here? What was she doing with Kevin Gallagher?

 

He kept his eyes on them as they made their way around the room, mingling with the guests and other members of the family. Every now and then one would find a reason to touch the other. Each time they did, jealousy raged inside him.

 

When Kevin’s hand came to rest of the small of Chenoa’s back, Ian’s eyes narrowed. He wanted to march over and rip Kevin’s head clean off of his shoulders.

 

“Put it in check, Ian”. He ordered himself. This was neither the time nor place for him to lose his cool. But, he found it difficult to take his own advice.

 

A smart man would see this as a sign to make a quiet exit. And, as he said before, he always considered himself to be a smart man. But, even as he willed his feet to move, he planted them more firmly.

 

What a position he found himself in.

 

Yup, life was a jokester……

 

At the moment, he didn’t find it one damn bit funny.

 

****

 

Chenoa made her way to the temporary stage erected at the front of the ballroom for the event. “Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen; may I have your attention please?”

 

The room fell into silence and all eyes were on her. “The charity auction will begin shortly, but first I would like to extend a thank you to each of you on behalf of the Gallagher Corporation for coming out to support this year’s charitable event”. She surveyed the room as she spoke. “The proceeds from this auction will go towards the fight to end homelessness in America. With each passing year, more Americans find themselves in danger of losing their….” Her eyes locked with another’s.

 

Her heart stopped.  She recognized them; those familiar blues.

 

The room shifted beneath her feet.

 

It couldn’t be….

 

Look away”, she ordered herself and did so. When she looked again, no one was there.

 

Clearing her throat, she continued, “With each passing year, more Americas find themselves in danger of losing their homes. This is a serious crisis we face in this country and we can only combat it, if we work together. The Gallagher Corporation would like to do its part to help those in need; therefore, we pledge to match the money raised from this evening’s auction dollar for dollar”.  Applause broke out around the room. “Again, thank you for joining us in our fight”.

 

She hurried from the stage almost catching the hem of her dress on the heel of her shoe, earning herself curious glances from several of the guests as well as Kevin, who had come closer to the stage during her speech. He reached out to help her but she stopped him, put up her hand, palm outward. “Don’t, I’m okay”.

 

“Chenoa?”

 

“Kevin please; I’m fine I just need a minute, okay”. She left him standing there staring at her back as she disappeared into the crowd. She rushed through the terrace doors and down the path. Finding the furthest bench she could, she sank down onto it. “It wasn’t him”.  She told herself over and over. “It wasn’t Ian”.

 

She was so busy talking to herself that she didn’t hear the soft footfalls on the path.

 

“Dove”.

 

Startled, she looked up quickly and once again found herself staring into those familiar blues, “I-Ian?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.