Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

John's mother gives him good advice and reveals news of her own.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Finding My Way

 

 

Chapter 6

 

Visiting with my mother can be somewhat of a challenge sometimes.  She likes to drill me on what’s happening in my life and sometimes I don’t want to talk about my life.  This time she surprises me and doesn’t ask anything except how’s my job.

 

“Mom, are you okay?  You haven’t asked me anything about my love life or lack thereof and I’m a bit worried.”

 

“John I thought that I would not interrogate you during this visit.  I see you so seldom that I didn’t want to bring up anything that would make you uncomfortable.  Michael told me about Natalie’s marriage and new child and I didn’t know how you would react to that.”

 

“Mom, I’m glad that Natalie has found someone with whom she can make a life.  After all that happened between us there are no hard feelings.  I wasn’t right for her and she wasn’t right for me.”

 

“Does Liam still spend time with you?”

 

“Yes he does.  We have a great relationship and he’s growing up to be a very good person and Natalie has raised him well.  I thank her for that.”

 

“Do you talk with her much?”

 

“No, not more than to coordinate Liam’s visits.”

 

“Any regrets?”

 

“Of course I have regrets Mom but not about not having a life with Natalie.  I made so many mistakes in my relationships after Caitlin died.  I guess she ruined me from getting involved with anyone else.”

 

“That’s not true John.  You took care of Michael and me after your father died and that was too big of a burden for a ten year old boy.  You were our protector and you did the same for Caitlin. But who protected you John? In any of your relationships did anyone ever put you first and wanted the best for you, just for you?”

 

“Mom why are you saying all of this? Are you all right?”

 

“Finally John I am all right.  Ever since your father died I feel like I have been living in this fog.  My life hasn’t felt complete without him.  You’ve done the same thing since Caitlin died.  I don’t want you to do what I did.  You didn’t answer my question.  Has anyone ever wanted the best for you, just for you?”

 

“Once Mom, once someone wanted what was best for me but I couldn’t appreciate it because I didn’t know what was best for me.  I didn’t know how to love again after Caitlin.”

 

“Caitlin will never return John so you have to go on and open yourself up to love so that love can come in.  That’s what I have done after all of these years. I’ve found love again John and I want you to find love again too.  If I can do it you can too.”

 

“I don’t know how Mom, I don’t know how. I once had someone who made me feel things that I never thought that I would feel again since Caitlin died and no it wasn’t Natalie.  She’s gone now never to return.  I messed it up Mom.”

 

“Well still open your heart John and don’t mess it up this time.”

 

“So who’s this new love in your life?”

 

“He’s a businessman that I met on my last cruise gig.  He lives in London and was on vacation.  He enjoyed my singing and invited me to dinner one night.  That was six months ago and although it is a long distance romance we keep in touch regularly.  Hurray for Skype!”

 

“Well good for you Mom.  When will we meet him and give me his name so that I can do a background check on him?”

 

“Forget background check son.  I wasn’t a policeman’s wife for nothing.  I had my own background check done and he and I compared the information that we gathered on each other.  We both thought that it was funny that we researched each other but you can never be too careful these days.  Neither of us felt any anger that we researched each other and as a matter of fact we joke about it from time to time.  He’s such a dear heart.  He’s a widower and I’m a widow so we both know about lost love.  He has a grown son and daughter and they each have two children so he has more grandchildren than I do.  You do know that I would like more grandchildren.  Michael and Marcie have already graced me with one and you gave me Liam but I can always use more.  You’re not getting any younger John.”

 

“Not getting any younger?  Thanks a lot Mom.  I expect to hear such talk from strangers not from my own mother.”

 

“Just telling the truth. All kidding aside John, I only want happiness for you and you are a great father even if Liam doesn’t live with you.”

 

“You cleaned that up rather nicely Mom. So when do Michael and I get to meet the new man in your life?”

 

“He’s coming to town in June so you can meet him then.  That will give you time to have him ‘checked’, ‘researched’, ‘followed’ and whatever else you plan to do.”

 

“Ha, ha Mom you’re so funny.”

 

Look at that even my mother has love in her life.  What am I doing wrong?






Chapter End Notes:

Tryiing to finish this before tomorrow, 12/22/18, to make it an early Christmas present for you guys.  I know that you have lots to do this weekend and plus I won't post anything else until the new year.  

Blessed Soul thnx for the reviews and you made me laugh with your take on Ms. Ambrose.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.