Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The conclusion.  Perhaps it didn't answer all of your questions but I hope that you enjoyed the ride.  




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Finding My Way

 

 

Chapter 8

 

(Glad that you stayed around to reach this point.  I’m a sucker for happy endings so don’t shoot me.  Hope that you enjoyed the read because I enjoyed the writing.)

 

I loosen my grip on her arm and stand there before her amazed.

 

“How? When? Where? This is not possible.”

 

“Hello John.”

 

“How is this possible?  They told me that you died years ago.  Did they lie to me?  Why?”

 

“No they didn’t lie.  They thought that I died.  Can we go somewhere to talk?”

 

“I’m staying with my mother and the hotel lounge has no privacy.”

 

“Come on I have a room here.  We can talk there.”

 

I take her hand and we make it to her room.  I don’t let her hand go because I’m afraid that she will disappear and that this is just a dream that I am having.

 

“John you can let my hand go now.  I’m real.  Sit down.  Do you want some coffee, beer or a drink?”

 

“Just some water.  I want to keep my wits about me during this conversation. So for starts where have you been?”

 

“I know that you have a lot of questions John but just let me tell my story and you can ask questions when I’m finished. As you can imagine it may sound like science fiction to you but it is all real.  I will give you a condensed version of what happened.”

 

“I don’t know if I can wait until you finish to ask my questions.  I have one that I need the answer to now, maybe two or three questions and then you can tell your story.”

 

“Okay John what are your questions?”

 

“First question, are you married? Second question, are you seeing someone?  Third question will you marry me.”

 

“Well you don’t waste anytime John.  To answer your questions in the order that they were asked, no, no, why should I?”

 

“Good answers for questions one and two and as for question three, you should marry me because I love you and I have missed you so much.  I thought that I was doomed to live life alone and never have happiness again.  I know that I made terrible mistakes when we were together but I have changed.  I love you and I will love you like no one else can. So rethink an answer to question three while you tell me your story.  I’m listening.”

 

“Here goes. Of course someone else told all of this to me because I was in a coma when all of this happened.  As you know my mother decided to discontinue life support and everyone thought that I died.  But I didn’t.  My Uncle Stephen found out about my situation and put people in place to keep an eye out on things.  When he learned that my mother intended to stop life support he had medical staff there to make the machine beep as if I was dead.  When my mother left the room he had my body moved and replaced it with another.  Needless to say the coffin in the cemetery is empty.

 

Uncle Stephen moved me to a clinic in Switzerland that specialized in treatment of coma patients.  I recovered and rehabilitated there.  Both Uncle Stephen and I decided that it would be better for all involved to maintain the story of my death and I would begin anew as Alexandria Victoria Ambrose.  I chose the Victoria part because I am victorious in this.  I decided to continue working in the law and diversified into international law.  With additional schooling and credentials I made a life for myself in London.  Currently I work for an international law firm with offices in Washington, DC and London.  Just this week I received a promotion to manage the London office so I will return to London in a month or two and will live there with occasional trips to the DC office.  I have not reconnected with any of my family here.  John I feel like a new person and I don’t want to go back to being the old me.  That person no longer exists.”

 

“Do you love me?  Can you love me? I’m new too.  We can be new together.  You say that you can’t go back well I can’t go back either. I can’t go back to not having you in my life.  I now work in DC. I’m back with the FBI. Talk about life changes.  I enjoy my job and it has given me a new lease on life but something still remains missing and that is love.  Give me a chance, please.  I won’t fail you.  Let’s start anew, afresh, let’s start over.  Hello nice to meet you.  I am John McBain.  What is your name?

 

“My name is Alexandria Victoria Ambrose of London.  Nice to me you Mr. McBain.”

 

“See that wasn’t so hard.  Now let’s talk about your moving to London.  The FBI has an office in London and so I will apply for a transfer to that office.  As a matter of fact I was there some time ago and thought that I saw your Uncle Clay.”

 

“You may have seen Uncle Stephen.  He’s Uncle Clay’s twin brother.  He’s been out of touch with the family for years and made a life for himself overseas.  I owe my life to him John.  He understands what it is to start a new life in a new place and leave your old life behind. Can you really do that John? Can you start anew?”

 

“Do you have a different answer to my question three yet?”

 

“Well usually when a man asks a woman that question they have a ring and are bending on one knee.  You had neither so why should I shortchange myself and give you an answer when you did not properly ask the question?”

 

“How long are you in Atlantic City?”

 

“I drive back to DC on Sunday.  Why do you ask?”

 

“So can I come back her tomorrow and ask you the question properly?”

 

“I don’t want a ring from a gumball machine John.”

 

“You won’t get a ring from a gumball machine young lady.  I know Atlantic City and I have my resources so just tell me that I can come back tomorrow and ask the question.”

 

“You can come back but you may still get the same answer.  You haven’t said anything about what you’ve done in the intervening years.”

 

“Oh I can give you the highlights in one sentence.  Natalie and I are not together but we have a son named Liam. Oh maybe I need two sentences. Liam spends time with me so I will have to fly him over to London to spend time with us when it’s my time to have him.  Are you okay with that?”

 

“Do you have a picture of him?”

 

“Yes I do.  Here take a look.”

 

I pass the picture to her and she looks at it and gives it back to me.

 

“Do you want other children John?”

 

“Yes I want other children with you.  So will you say yes to my proposal?”

 

“Well technically you have not officially proposed so no I can’t say yes without an official proposal.”

 

“I don’t want to leave you here.  I think that you will disappear and I will never see you again.  Can I stay here on the sofa tonight and you can go with me to pick out your ring tomorrow and I can propose to you and you can say yes and we can get married while your Uncle Stephen is here and we can move back to London together and we can honeymoon before you start your new job and we can get started on the children we will have?”

 

“My you are in a hurry McBain.”

 

“No I am desperate to have you in my life. I lost you once I won’t make that mistake again.  Anyway, Michael is in town.  Your Uncle is in town.  My mother lives in town.  It is the perfect time don’t you agree?”

 

“Let me call my uncle and have him come up to meet you and we can discuss it with him because I highly value his opinion.”

 

I call Uncle Stephen and he comes quickly to my room.  I introduce him to John and tell him everything.   He agrees with John that we should get married this weekend since everyone is here.  Michael can serve as best man, Uncle Stephen can give me away and John’s mother can attend.  Uncle Stephen has a surprise for us.  One of his partners plans to propose to his lady friend and came her to talk with her sons.  John asked the name of Uncle Stephen’s partner and he said Carstairs. John smiled and said that Mr. Carstairs asked him for his mother’s hand in marriage.  It is a small world after all.  Uncle Stephen suggests that John go to his mother’s house for clothes and return to the hotel.  Uncle Stephen will take me wedding dress shopping in the morning and will arrange the wedding to take place tomorrow evening.  John said that he will ask his mother to accompany me dress shopping to save Uncle Stephen that chore.  Uncle Stephen agreed but insisted on taking care of the wedding dress and the wedding.

 

And everything fell into place and now here I stand waiting to walk into the chapel. Alexandria Victoria Ambrose will now marry John McBain.  I have never been happier and look forward to what the future holds. It goes without saying that Michael McBain was dumbstruck when he saw me but he was so happy for me and for his brother.

 

“You don’t know how happy I am that you survived.  You were always the one for my brother and it goes without saying that I am overjoyed that you two will have a life together.  I am so honored to be a part of this.”

 

“Thank you Michael.”

 

After the wedding we share a private reception in one of the hotel’s conference rooms. Uncle Stephen knows that soon I will have to ‘reach out’ but not now.  I don’t want anything to spoil this moment.  He understands and says that he will handle it once I move back to London.  He will explain his reasoning and emphasize that no one is to pressure me about any of my decisions.  

 

“You are mine now Mrs. McBain, all mine”

 

“As you are mine Mr. McBain.  Are you happy John?”

 

“More that I have ever been.  I love you more than I can say.”

 

“I know neither of us have voiced it since we met again but I know that you think it.  It’s all right if you slip up sometimes it’s okay.  It will always remain a part of me but I am no longer her.  Can you understand that?”

 

“Whatever you want from me you will have.  I love you Alexandria Victoria Ambrose McBain.  I will always love you.”

 

“All right then.  Let’s say it together.”

 

And so they do, 

 

“Alexandria Victoria Ambrose McBain, formerly known as Evangeline Williamson.”

 

@@@@@@@@@

 

Two years later Alexandria and John are thriving in their jobs in London and in their personal lives.  Now they are the parents to twins, Gregory and Johanna.  Alexandria did ‘reach out’ and her mother, sister and Uncle Clay were there for the birth of the twins.  Uncle Stephen reconnected with his twin brother and everyone is so thrilled that Alexandria (Evangeline) survived.  They vowed to support her in all of her endeavors and welcomed John into the family.

 

 

The End






Chapter End Notes:

Just couldn't resist giving her a happy ending and with children to boot!  Finished just before the weekend.  Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Do leave a review and I will consider it your Christmas present to me.  Lord willing I will post again in the new year.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.