Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

After receiving a reader's request for 'more' story I decided to add a few more chapters.  Hope that it satisfies the request and hope that you enjoy it.

Now that John knows about the baby what is next for him and Evangeline? Will they return to Llanview or is Evangeline determined to have their baby in the new city?




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Taking the long way home

 

Thoughts are captured in /italics/

 

 

(After finishing the story with chapter 5 I received a request for MORE.  So .pebbles this is for you.)

 

 

Chapter 6

 

After their conversation about the baby Evangeline and John settle in bed for the night.  There was no lovemaking but a lot of cuddling.  John could not resist rubbing Evangeline’s stomach all through the night marveling at the thought that they are having a baby.  They both finally fall asleep and rest peacefully.

 

The following morning they both settle in the kitchen for breakfast.  John prepares toast, eggs and sausage with a side bowl of strawberry yogurt.  Evangeline practically inhales her food and John watches her and looks for any changes in her that would tell that she is pregnant.  He has no idea what to look for but he looks none the same.  Evangeline looks up and catches him staring at her.

 

“John why are you staring at me?”

 

“I’m just trying to see if you look different now that you are pregnant.”

 

“Well do you see any differences?”

 

“Other than you just ate your food so fast that it was hard to tell if you chewed the food or simply put it in you mouth and swallowed it, no, I don’t see any changes.”

 

“I did chew it John.  It was good and I was hungry.  Well the baby was hungry so I had to feed him.”

 

“Yes you have to feed our son.  Our son that sounds so fantastic.  We’re having a baby. Now that I’ve slept on it the thought of it is even greater.  I love you Evangeline.  I love you for you and now I love you even more for giving me a son.  I never thought that I would have a child and now with one on the way and with you, the woman that I love, I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

 

“I’m so glad to hear you say that John.  I was worried how you would react and I’m glad that my fears were unjustified.  But John we still have things to discuss.  How do you really feel about my staying here to have the baby?  That will limit your involvement in the pregnancy.”

 

“Evangeline I want you to do what it comfortable for you but I do have to say that it could be taken as you running away.  You have nothing about which to be ashamed.  You can return to Llanview with your head held high and continue your life as you choose.  I’m sorry that you feel that you can’t comfortably have our child in Llanview.  I can’t leave right now.  This murder case has gripped the town and I can’t leave in the middle of the investigation.”

 

“But how can I return John?  I just closed my office and transferred my clients.  If I were to return now I would look fickled and that is not a good look for an attorney.  I told everyone that I had a job offer here for a year so that did leave me the option of returning after that year.  So it does seem that I have painted myself into a corner and now I have to live with my decision.”

 

“I understand Evangeline but I just wanted to mention it.  Now how am I to be a part of this pregnancy with you here and me in Llanview?”

 

“Well John you can come to visit once a month and then plan a vacation around the due date so that you are here for the birth.”

 

“But what if you deliver early or any number of unforeseen things happen?  How will you feel it I miss the birth.  I know that I will be devastated.”

 

“I didn’t think about that John.  As I told you last night I had only thought about telling you and having the baby here.”

 

“Well consider this:

 

-You come back to town and tell everyone that your client reconsiders and decides that you can handle the case from Llanview.  No one is the wiser that there is no client or case.

 

-You reopen your office and your old clients can return and you can work their cases as usual

 

-The trial judges won’t make a fuss because you are a brilliant attorney and they love you

 

-You and I can enjoy this pregnancy together.

 

Now the only thing that we have to decide is where we will live and when will we get married.”

 

“John when you were saying all of that I remembered that I leased my apartment so I don’t have any place to live.  The items that you listed are doable.  Clients change their minds all of the time so folks won’t think anything about my return for that reason.  My lease is still valid on my office space so that’s not a problem either and you’re right the judges love me.  It would be nice if we can enjoy this pregnancy together.  Now the thing about getting married is the only stickling point because you have yet to propose to me John McBain and I know that you don’t have a ring with you.”

 

“So are you considering returning to Llanview with me?  As to the proposal are you telling me that you have changed your mind about marriage?  You are the woman who told me that she didn’t believe in marriage.”

 

“If I can marry you John then yes I have changed my mind.  So what do we do now?”

 

Before John can answer the doorbell rings.  Evangeline goes to the door to check who is there.  She looks through the peephole and sees Nina.  She opens the door and allows Nina to enter.  They hug.

 

“Evangeline I waited as long as I could but I just wanted to know how things went with John.  How did he react?”

 

Just as Evangeline is about to answer John walks up and introduces himself and thanks Nina for being such a good friend to Evangeline.  Nina smiles and then they all go to the living room and John and Evangeline sit on the sofa and Nina sits on the chair that Evangeline occupied last evening.

 

“So John what do you think of Evangeline’s news?  Are you ready to be a father and how are you going to help our girl through this?  If you don’t want to be involved now just let me know and I will take care of my friend.”

 

“Nina, wait!  Before you tear into John let me catch you up on what we have discussed.  John wants me to return to Llanview with him.  He thinks that we can proceed with the pregnancy there without much confusion.  I return with the story that my new client suggested that I handle their case from Llanview instead of moving to where they are located.  You know how clients change their minds all of the time so that won’t be too much for folks to believe.  My lease on my office is still valid so I can just reopen it and get back to business.  The problem that we have encountered though is that my apartment is now subleased so I don’t have anywhere to live.”

 

“Evangeline that all sounds doable but what about the two of you?  Are you together, are you separate, are you getting married, what?”

 

“Nina I think that I can answer that better than Evangeline.  I want to marry Evangeline and not just because of the baby.  I love Evangeline and was hoping that our relationship was growing into something more significant than just dating.  With the baby on the way I think that it is a great opportunity to move our relationship to a permanent status.  Before you say that I’m only marrying her because she is pregnant you are right and you are wrong.  You’re right that I’m marrying her because she is pregnant as I should because I am the father of the child but you are also wrong to think that is the only reason.  Evangeline and I are good together and it’s been a long time since I have been in love.  I never thought that I would be in love ever again after my fiancé died but Evangeline has opened my heart to love again and I don’t want to risk losing her.  The baby presents a great opportunity for me to convince her to marry me.  I want to marry her for her and for the baby.”

 

“John I hope that what you say is true because Evangeline only deserves the best.  So have you proposed?”

 

“Nina, John and I were about to discuss that when you arrived.  Perhaps you can assist us in our discussion.”

 

“I will do whatever I can to help you Evangeline, you know that.”

 

“Yes I do Nina.”

 

The three of them sit and talk things out and agree that Evangeline should return to Llanview.  

 

“John you know that if we get married now that everyone in Llanview will think that you only married me because I am pregnant.”

 

“Evangeline I don’t care what people say and neither should you.  What we do is our business.”

 

“Evangeline, John is right.  If you get married now so what if people think it is only because of the baby.  If you weren’t pregnant and got married folks will come up with something else to complain about as it relates to the two of you.  You must decide for yourself what you want and forget about what people may say.  You surprise me that you are concerned about the naysayers.  The Evangeline Williamson that I knew in college would care less.  Where is she?”

 

“Nina and John you both are right.  And Nina, that Evangeline is still here, she just got confused for a moment. So the plan is to return to Llanview, get married, have the baby and live happily ever after.”

 

“Now I like that plan.  So you guys can take the jet back to Llanview tomorrow.  Notify of the wedding date and my family and I will be there to celebrate with you.  Eva if you need anything, anything at all just call me.  Okay we’ve settled that I expect the two of you at my house tonight for dinner at 7:00 p.m. and it looks like it’s a celebration dinner.”

 

John and Evangeline agree to the dinner and Nina leaves.  They cuddle on the sofa basking in the wonder of their love and excited about their future.






Chapter End Notes:

Nina is the best and just the support that Evangeline needs now.  Good to finally see John supporting and encouraging Evangeline.  Cute to see that John is so excited about the baby news.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.