Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Will Evangeline finally get her well earned rest or is trouble brewing just on the horizon?  Surprises are ahead for our lovely lady lawyer.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

ILLUMINATION

 

 

Chapter 5    A New Year and New Opportunities

 

This year the New Year’s Eve party at the Palace is the event not to miss.  Every ballroom was booked and the have and have nots celebrated joyously to celebrate surviving such a difficult year. In the main ballroom the Mannings, Lords, Buchanans and the elite are sipping champagne and munching on canapés.  I’m thankful to be alive.  Whew I am glad to say goodbye to this year.  After an emotional  breakup, a kidnapping, a prison riot, and helping an innocent man go free I look forward to peace and quiet in the new year.  Nora recovered from her stroke and I am so glad to have her back with us.  John continues his efforts to win me back but I just smile and walk away.  If he had spent that much effort when we were together we might still be together.  Antonio paid me handsomely for my work on Christian’s case so I am rolling in the dough.

 

Sitting here at the table with Nora and her daughter Rachel I see RJ enter with Lindsay Rappaport at his side.  They make a nice couple and I begrudge RJ nothing.  We were both injured parties in our breakup.  I was the cheater and he was the stalker. Well the past is the past and I look forward to the future.  Many of the judges and attorneys are here this year.  The wealthy businessmen always attend so I am not surprised to see them and their wives.  The place is packed.  The music is nice and I sit at the table sipping my drink and moving my head to the beat of the music.  As the next song starts I feel a tap on my shoulder and a smooth deep voice ask,

 

“May I have this dance?”

 

I turn my head and look around and up into the prettiest hazel eyes that I have ever seen.  I acquiesce, rise and take his hand.

 

“Hello. I am Ian Baxter and you are?”

 

“I’m Evangeline Williamson.  Are you new to Llanview?”

 

“Oh, no I’m here on business and received an invitation to this soiree.  It’s quite nice, especially the company.”

 

“Why thank you kind sir.  I hear a hint of an accent so let me guess, England?”

 

“Yes, I live in London but we have businesses in many parts of the world?  And what do you do lovely lady?”

 

“I’m an attorney.  I did several summers in England during my college days. One summer I spent at Cambridge University and another at Oxford University.”

 

“Oh my quite an elite education you gained I can see.  Did you enjoy your time in England?”

 

“What I saw of it.  Unfortunately I didn’t get out very much because back then I was a book hog and if it didn’t pertain to my studies then I usually didn’t participate.  Sorry.”

 

“No apology is necessary.  Maybe you will return and I can show you England.”

 

“That sounds nice but I don’t know when I will have time for that.  My work keeps me very busy.”

 

“What is that old American saying, ‘all work and no play makes Evangeline a dull girl’?  I don’t think that you’re dull Evangeline, on the contrary.  Maybe you just need to take the time to relax. I have to admit I too am a workaholic sometimes but I do take time off to relax.”

 

“Maybe I will think about doing just that this year.  Last year was a difficult year so I hope that this new year will bring new opportunities for me to relax.  Oh the song is ending. Thank you for the dance Ian. Perhaps I will see you again before you return to England.”

 

“I would like that Evangeline.  How might I reach you?”

 

Ian hands her one of his business cards and an ink pen and she writes her name and office phone number on it and return both the card and pen to Ian.  With that she returns to her seat and Ian returns to his table but knowing that he will see Ms. Williamson again very soon.

 

Shortly after Evangeline returns to her table John approaches her and asks to speak with her.  So as not to appear rude she walks with him to the side of the room to talk.

 

“What do you want to talk about John?”

 

“Who was that you were dancing with.  I don’t recognize him.  Is he new in Llanview?”

 

“With whom I dance is none of your business John.  Last year this time you and I were dancing until you decided that you ‘needed’ to be somewhere else than with me.  We’re done John. Just let it go.  You don’t have to watch over me.  I’m a big girl remember.  You have me confused with someone else.”

 

“Evangeline it’s the beginning of a new year can’t we just start over in the new year?”

 

“Start over what John?  What did we actually have?  Oh forget it I don’t want to talk about this anymore. John we are through and we have been for over six months.  Nothing has changed for me.  So go live your life and I will live mine.  Good night.”






Chapter End Notes:

Sounds like John is jealous.  The nerve of him! The one word to describe him is CLUELESS.  Now Ian sounds like a tall, cool glass of hotness.  Perhaps something will come of that.  We can always hope, right?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.