Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

What do we have here?  There's a new man in town who has his eyes on Evangeline? She is about due for a tall, cool glass of hotness but is he friend or is he foe?  Only time will tell. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

ILLUMINATION

 

(Now didn’t you find it refreshing to hear John all jealous about Evangeline dancing with some new man?  Now let us all shout, YES!  The following chapter may have some of you up in arms with me but do give a read before you totally disown me.  Consider this, Evangeline had a life before she moved to Llanview and before she starting dating John McBain.  She clerked at the Supreme Court for goodness sakes and started a domestic violence shelter so our girl has to have strength and grit.  She may have lost her edge a bit after encountering John but somewhere inside of her she is still strong.  Anyway I like to introduce characters into my JOVAN stories that knew Evangeline before she moved to Llanview.  Enough of that now on to the rest of the story.)

 

 

Chapter 6    Love Rekindled

 

 

Ian Baxter is a shrewd financier, attorney and corporate raider.  He’s in Llanview to meet with the Buchanans on some mutually beneficial deals.  Never in his wildest dreams did he ever think that he would see her again. After all of these years he sees her again in a small town in Pennsylvania.  

 

She was right when she said that she was a book hog because every time that I saw her at Oxford she had a book in her hand or she was in the library.  I always thought that she was the cutest little thing, tall and scrawny.  She’s grown well into her body.  Many a time I wondered whatever happened to her and now I see. From what I read she is a highly successful attorney but her personal life leaves much to be desired.  I saw both of her former ‘acquaintances’ at the New Year’s Eve function.  One seemed to have moved on because he was with someone else but the other one sat in the corner watching her.  Evidently neither of them knew what a jewel she is.  I realized it years ago.  I gave up, thinking that I would never see her again.  I’ve loved don’t get me wrong and I even married. I loved Agnes when I married her and when she died I was distraught.  But you never forget your first crush.  Evangeline didn’t even know how I felt about her. I never told her.  I was too shy.  Just an English boy so impressed with the American girl but we would talk sometimes and share a laugh.  Her eyes are so beautiful when she laughs.  Well I will take advantage of this chance meeting. Perhaps, just perhaps I again have a chance at love.

 

/

 

Two days later I receive a call from Ian Baxter asking to meet tomorrow for lunch at the Palace.  I accept and clear my schedule.  My phone buzzes and my receptionist informs me that my next client has arrived.  

 

Hours later I finish my meeting with my client and rush out for court.  I won’t complain because I am just glad to be alive to experience all of this.  Having a near death experience makes you appreciate life a whole lot more. Maybe I will take Mr. Baxter’s advice and take some time to have some fun.  But right now just let me finish today.

 

Well rested from a peaceful night I am ready to face another day.  I don’t have any clients today and so I can catch up on my paperwork.  Can’t say that I am not looking forward to lunch with Baxter.  What is it with me and me with amazing eyes?  But at least they are not blue because I will probably always compare any blue eyes to John’s blue eyes.  Ian is quite handsome and he has an aristocratic air about him or rather a distinguished air about him.  We let me stop daydreaming and get back to work if I want to finish before lunch.

 

(Knock, knock)

 

“Come in.”

 

“Hi Evangeline.  I just stopped by to find out if you wanted to have lunch with me?”

 

“John why would I want to have lunch with you? We’re not together John. How many times do I have to tell you that I am not interested?  Anyway I already have a lunch date.

 

“With whom may I ask?”

 

“I don’t ask you about your private life John why should I share mine with you?”

 

“Oh so it is a private date that you have. Is it anyone I know?”

 

“No it’s not John.  Are we finished?”

 

“It’s with that guy that you were dancing with on New Year’s Eve isn’t it?”

 

“John you sound a little jealous.  Why would you be jealous?  We’re not together anymore.”

 

“But I want you Evangeline.  Why won’t you give me another chance?  I know that I made mistakes the first time but I won’t make the same mistakes if you give me another chance?”

 

“No you won’t make the same mistakes John you will make all new ones.  What has changed about you?  Nothing.  You’re the same brooding sad looking man.  Get some psychological help John.  Make this new year better for you.”

 

“Having you back in my life is all that I need.”

 

“You know what you sound like John?  You sound like a junkie.  ‘All I need is one more’.  I’m not your fix John. This past year took me through many darks moments John.  You were one of those dark moments.  I don’t want to go back to the darkness.  This is my year of light.  This is my year of illumination.  I can’t help you John. I won’t be drawn back into that darkness with you.  I don’t love you any more John so please spare us both any more scenes like this and leave me alone.  I’ve tried to not be rude when you approach me so let us leave this as two civil adults might.  Get on with your life John and I will get on with mine.  You may now leave my office.  You have taken up enough of my time.”

 

“I’m sorry that I hurt you Evangeline.”

 

“I’m sorry too John.  Goodbye and please don’t come again.”

 

Oh no, I wasted thirty minutes talking to John.  I really need to concentrate now to finish this file.  As soon as John leaves I tell my receptionist that I don’t want any more interruptions.  An hour later I’m finished and I head out the Palace.

 

Walking into the restaurant I see Mr. Baxter waiting for me at the entrance.  We say hello to each other and are then shown to our table.  We order and talk while we wait for our food.

 

“Chipping Cleghorn”

 

“What did you say Ian?”

 

“I said Chipping Cleghorn Evangeline”

 

“How did you know that?  Why did you say that?”

 

“That was the name of the village in the Agatha Christie novel that you liked when you were at Oxford.  You used to talk about it all of the time with this one young man named Thomas.”

 

“How do you know about that?  You didn’t find that in any research on me. Wait a minute. I researched you and your middle name is Thomas.  Is it really you Thomas?”

 

“Hello again Evangeline, long time no see.”

 

“I can’t believe it.  It’s really you.  Why do you go by Ian now?”

 

“As I got older I just started using my first name more.  I couldn’t believe it when I saw you at the New Year’s Eve event.  But I remembered your eyes and your smile.”

 

“Don’t say that to a girl you will make her blush.  It’s been years surely you don’t remember how I looked all of those years ago.”

 

“Tall and scrawny with beautiful eyes and an even more beautiful laugh.  I had a crush on you all summer long.”

 

“No you didn’t and what do you mean tall and scrawny?”

 

“Well of course you grew into your body. It is so good to see you again Evangeline.  I remember fondly the times that we had that summer.”

 

“So Thomas I know about your businesses but what about your private life.  Are you married?  Do you have any children?”

 

“No to both of those questions.  I did marry but my wife died several years ago and since that time I have just poured all of my energies into my businesses.”

 

“If I remember correctly your family is ‘old money’.  Are your parents still living?”

 

“Yes they are and forever asking me when will I give them grandchildren.  My sister has already given them three but they say it won’t be complete until I give them some.  So would you care to help me in that endeavor?”

 

“Which endeavor is that?”

 

“To give grandchildren to my parents of course.”

 

“You’re kidding right?”

 

“Evangeline, I have learned in all my years never to allow a great opportunity to pass you by if you can avoid it.  All of my feelings for you resurfaced when I saw you the other night. I know that you need time to get to know me and I am willing to give you that time.  We can go on dates, go to dinner, go on vacations, whatever you want to do. But just know that in the end I want to marry you.”

 

“Am I hearing you correctly?  You want to marry me.  You don’t even know me.  I’ve changed since Oxford and you may not like my changes. You’ve changed and I may not like your changes.  Why me Ian?  I’m sure you have many beautiful women who would jump at the chance to be your wife.  Why me?”

 

“Evangeline I see you.  After reading about all the things that you’ve gone through this last year I know that the last thing that you need is some man coming to you trying to rescue you.  I don’t want to rescue you Evangeline I want to love you.  I remember your smile from years ago and I saw you smiling at the celebration the other night.  There is pain in your eyes.  I’m not here to wipe away the pain. I want to replace it with joy.  I know that we can have a great life together and I’m not just talking financially.  We will be good together.  We compliment each other.  At least give it a try.  My business with the Buchanans end on this Friday and I’m due to return to London on Saturday.  But if you say the word I will stay here in Llanview and wine and dine you and sweep you off your feet until you agree to marry me.  Toss in all of your chips in this poker game of life Evangeline and bet on me.  I’m betting all of mine on you.”

 

“Ian this is totally crazy.  I can’t believe that I am even considering this. Oh what the heck!  I just told someone that this is my year of illumination so I will walk with you in this blistering light that you are projecting and take a chance.  How long can you stay in Llanview?”

 

“If you really want to do this I will return to London on Saturday as planned and settle a few things there so that I can return here by next Friday.  Once here I can stay for at least two months but it will involve me making several trips to cities here in the States while I’m here.  But for all of the other days I am at your disposal.”

 

“I can’t believe that I’m doing this but it sounds so exciting.  You really want to marry me.  How can I even consider this when I never even considered getting married. Well I guess stranger things have happened.  Well today is Wednesday and you leave on Saturday so you need to get cracking on wooing me Ian Baxter.”

 

“Evangeline Williamson, let the wooing begin.”






Chapter End Notes:

Ooooh!  Evangeline has a boyfriend.  Yay!  At least he brings something worthwhile to the table.  Let the games begin!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.