Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I do not own or profit from these stories, all credit belongs to Gene Roddenberry.




Author's Chapter Notes:

Overview Enterprise: Houston we have a problem




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Uhura's POV:

 


The communication team sat and discussed different dialects, languages, linguistics, xenolinguistics, and cultures. Chief of Communication Uhura leads the meeting, some of the officers had address concerns over their position with the away team during landing. Each assigned officer wonders about the interpretations of language from different cultures. However, some of the male members are feeling reluctant about going with the away team. Often they would find linguistic/xenolinguistic sexual undertones refered towards them, where it has become difficult for the communication officer to perform effectively. During a recent encounter with natives on a planet Lt. Hawkins was accused as Capt. Kirk's consort or concubine, just by the way he positioned himself behind the captain. During conversations among different cultures; Kirk, McCoy, and Spock are the forerunners for potential members of U.F.P.

 

However, with the mass of interpretation of verbal/non-verbal, physical/non-physical communication has become a problem with the communication team. It has been an occurring problem that the landing party has ended up with some form of sexual liaison encounter where communication has been misinterpreted based on own culture/customs. Even standing next to a certain person may cause some form of sexual transaction. These forms of communication are often cataloged, documented and filed to Starfleet command, which has been painstaking for the team, which they all are putting in long hours. We would meet after hours trying to identifying sounds, gestures of any communication to data.

 

Now my team is reluctant to volunteer with the landing party, especially the men. They are willing to take a reprimand or rank deduction than go down with Captain Kirk. Some of the women on the communication team have also avoid civilization that had strong sexual innuendos.

 

Uhura tried to resolve the issue by first start with rotation schedules, volunteers, and then direct commands to her team for away missions with Kirk. Oh, yes, the legendary Captain Kirk of the Enterprise, he has always had his way with the women. It is no secret that the captain is the ladies man everywhere he goes, even on the ship, some women would die to be able to date Kirk. There were rumors that there some love interaction with some of the crew. The most obvious was Janice Rand, she was the closest to the captain for a while, but no one knew the reason why she transferred.

 

However, it was a proven fact whenever the captain, McCoy, and Spock landed somewhere it was a sure bet a love interest arose. Yes, the three musketeers, the three Caballeros they were called. Next, it was McCoy; you couldn't tell if he ever showed any love interest since their first-year mission where he saw Nancy Crater, nothing like your old girlfriend turns out to be a real monster, McCoy kept low after that.

 

Then there is Commander Spock, Kirk didn't realize that most of the female crew fantasized about him, Christine and other females created their club called the "Mr. Spock Appreciation club," Uhura would get bombard of his whereabouts, or how lucky she was to work next to him. They would mob her during breaks, meals and free time, and Uhura would be asked questions of the in's and out's about Spock. As she knew, if she did know, she kept it to herself. Kirk would be upset if he knew Mr. Spock attracted more women than he did. Some women would feel intimidated by his menacing, stoic look, and his flat demanding tone of command. However, others would see him as a dark knight, with his mysterious, mystical charm. The relationship with Mr. Spock was professional, once in a while, he would show up in the break lounge with his Ka'athyra and play music, and she would sing whimsically with him. One time they both played together with their lyres as part of the entertainment. The Club members were upset with that because Uhura was able to be close to him. That was the most Uhura have seen Mr. Spock interact with herself and the crew. Many things about Mr. Spock was put to rest when he announced to the whole bridge that the Vulcan woman on the viewing screen was his wife, T'Pring. Many hearts were broke that year, the Appreciation club dissolved for about a year until it was revealed that Spock was still single and the club reformed again.

 

Uhura, knew she has changed, she realized how vain she had become. She reflects her beauty by attracting mostly all the males on the ship, and she likes to flirt and tease. She would never date them, some were obvious; like Sulu, Mr. Scott, Boma, and Chekov, she suspected Kirk but couldn't prove it. She did it to kill the pain that was afflicted on her from a previous relationship.

 

But over the years being on missions, Uhura had a good look at herself because of two major incidents.

 

The first one was Nomad, when the robot approached her, she was oblivious to what would happen to her next, her mind was wiped clean, it wasn't until she fully recovered from the effects from that encounter that she read from the archives and medical reports the damage the robot really did, but what wasn't on the report that Mr. Spock was the contributing factor in her mental recovery. McCoy gave her first-hand experience how he somehow extracted her memories from the robot, miraculously restored them back to her and how Scotty tried to intervene to prevent the assault from Nomad. That haunted her, and she would stay with her best friend Charlene Masters during those nightmares that would come to relive the assault.

 

The second incident is when the Enterprise was orbiting Triacus, the children took over the ship, they stopped her from sending a message; instead they sent an image of her aged and gray. When the ship was back in control, it was then; she realized that there was more to life than looks and flirting. From then on Uhura withdrawn, she toned down her flirting and make-up but remained the most beautiful female on the ship. Because of those incidents, no one noticed she had stopped singing in the break room accept Charlene, or that her behavior had been aloft. Now the pressure has been building up with her and the dept team. The frustration to complete all the reports to the captain and Starfleet has backed up on her and all her team members. It's hard to explain to Starfleet that a lot of the communication interpretation were mostly sexual intent. With the landing party being oblivious of their actions when they encounter the opposite sex makes it worse, well except for one.

 

END OF PROLOGUETOS:

 

The Changling
And the children shall lead












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.