Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

The True Measure

 

 

Chapter 14

 

John stands outside of Antonio’s apartment door gathering his thoughts on how to reveal to Antonio all that he knows.  Evangeline may have accepted his actions because Cristian asked him to, but it will take more than that to convince Antonio.  As the saying goes, ‘taking the bull by the horns’ (meaning dealing with a difficult situation in a very direct way) John knocks on the door and waits.  Within a few minutes Antonio opens the door and invites John into his apartment. 

 

“John what brings you by so late?  I heard about the rescues, did something else happen to Evangeline and Natalie?  Aren’t they in the hospital?”  

 

Antonio worriedly asks as he moves to sit on the sofa.  John follows him and sits on a chair facing the sofa.  Not knowing how Antonio will respond to his news John sits leaving some distance between the two of them.  

 

“Nothing else happened to them.  I just left Evangeline and as far as I know Natalie is fine and will be released tomorrow or rather later today since it is after midnight,”John says after looking at his watch.  

 

Antonio then looks puzzled because he can’t think of another reason why John would stop by at such and odd hour, so he says, 

 

“Alright spill it. Why are you here?”  

 

Using that as his introduction, John tells Antonio about the DNA test.  He even gives it to him to read.  He tells him about Cristian asking him to keep it a secret and then he tells him one thing that he did not tell Evangeline.  

 

“Antonio, I kept Cristian’s secret because I felt responsible for all that happened to him. It I had not gotten him and Natalie involved in that FBI sting operation that ‘went south’ none of this would have happened.  It was the least that I could do for him.”  

 

Antonio looks at John and shakes his head.  Now he sees why John is so guarded and down right morose at times.  This guy absorbs the blame for everything on to himself.  Dang, if it rains instead of a sunny day he probably blames himself for that too.  

 

“John, you’re not to blame for Cristian’s kidnapping. Someone else orchestrated all of that. Yes, Cristian and Natalie were with you on the FBI sting but you had no control of unforeseen forces that took Cristian away from us.  Just stop thinking like that.  Man how do you function carrying all of that unnecessary weight around? Let it go.”

 

Understanding that it will take more than just words to get through to John Antonio goes to him, makes him stand up and gives him a hug.  

 

“I forgive you John.”  

 

Now you would think that two (2) men standing in the middle of the room hugging each other would make them feel awkward but both remembered that they were once very close friends who encountered a bump in the road. Namely Antonio finding out that he is a Santi not a Vega and that friendship splintered.  This hug may just be the thing to get them on track to regaining their friendship.  Releasing each other they return to their respective seats.  

 

John then remembers to deliver Evangeline’s message to Antonio, 

 

“Evangeline says that she can recommend some lawyers who can handle Cristian’s case. She recues herself from it, before you ask.  She told me that you once told her that no case is worth her happiness.”  

 

Antonio smiles as he remembers that conversation. Wanting John to know that he understands he says, 

 

“That’s alright.  She needs time to recuperate.  So are you two (2) back together?”   

 

John’s heart and head unite in what he wants to happen but knows that it’s a long shot so he says,

 

“I can only wish that to happen.  I hurt her Antonio and I have to give her time to get over that hurt. Plus with everything that she’s been through I don’t want to pressure her.  I love her and I told her that today.  I don’t know why it took me so long to do that.  Why did it take her almost dying for me to step up?  What is wrong with me?”

 

Antonio looks at John and can’t believe his ears.  This time he doesn’t get up to hug him instead this time he playfully punches him in the chest, 

 

“What’s wrong with you is that you were a jerk!  Get over yourself man.  You tried to play her with that back and forth with Natalie and she got tired of your mess and cut you loose.  Too late you realized the worth of what you lost.  Don’t do it again.  She is a treasure.  Treat her like one.  You will definitely have to work hard to get back in her good graces, that is, if she gives you a second chance.  Don’t blow it.  It is late.  You better get home and get some rest before you have to go to work.”

 

John feigns hurt from the punch in the chest but his frown changes to a smile as he says something that surprises Antonio,  

 

“I’m taking a few days off work.  Evangeline’s in the hospital for the next three (3) days and I want to be there for her.  I’ve been away from her too long.”  

 

Stepping back a moment to process what John has just said Antonio is pleased to see that John is finally getting his priorities straight, 

 

“That’s good to hear.  It’s about time you give her the time that she deserves.  Work can’t keep you warm at night.  Tell her that I will either stop by to visit or call her for the names of the lawyers.  I won’t tell my mother anything until I speak with a lawyer.  You can go now John.  I am tired.”  

 

Antonio walks John to the door and leaves him with this parting comment, 

 

“I’m happy for you John.  You and Evangeline were good together.”

 

John leaves and heads back to the hospital.  He knows that he won’t get much sleep if he goes to his apartment because he will spend all night thinking about Evangeline.  If she’s asleep when he arrives he won’t wake her.  He’ll just sit in a chair and watch her sleep knowing that she’s now safe.

 

 

 

A/N:  I know, I know that’s a lot of head shaking but I do that when I think about something that someone’s done that’s totally ridiculous.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.