Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The True Measure

 

 

Chapter 16

 

 

Evangeline did speak with Antonio while she was in the hospital and recommended two (2) attorneys who might assist him on Cristian’s case. Within a week of being hired Attorney Harold Carruthers has private investigators out trying to identify the person or persons who abducted Cristian and brainwashed him.  Even though Evangeline told Antonio that he should be able to get at least a new trial she knew that it would go a long way if the identity of the abductor were known.  Cristian after all did murder Tico Santi.  Evangeline did keep her promise to herself to stay out of the case but she does from time to time lend a listening ear to Antonio when he wants to voice his frustrations on how long this is taking.

 

 

 

Now two months later on this cool autumn evening Evangeline and John are enjoying sitting on a bench in Angel Square Park.  They’re not talking about anything in particular but simply enjoying spending time together and getting some fresh air. Evangeline has her head on John’s shoulder and he has his arm around hers.  Out of the blue Antonio runs up to them, 

 

“John, Evangeline I’m glad that I found you!  I’ve been trying to call you!”  

 

Evangeline and John look at each other and know that their quiet time has ended.  They had both turned off their cell phones so as not to be disturbed.  They decided that when they got back together that they would have uninterrupted time together.  And this was one of those times.  

 

John asks Antonio why he is so agitated.  Looking around so that no one is listening in on their conversation he tells them that he just received a call from Cristian and that some prisoners are planning to break out of Statesville.  Cristian is regaining his memory and he fears for his life.  John looks at Evangeline and knows that he must leave her, 

 

“I have to go with Antonio.  I’ll call you when I can.”  

 

Trying to put on a brave front she volunteers to go with them. They both refuse her offer. John takes her in his arms and tells her, 

 

“It will make me feel a lot better if I know that you are at home safe.  As a precaution I will call Bo and ask him to assign an officer to you.  Barber and Messina are in Statesville and I can bet you that they would love to get out of there.”  

 

Evangeline cringes when John says those names.  She will never forget the hell that those two (2) men put her and Natalie through so she agrees to return home and accept the police protection.  “John, you need to suggest that Bo send an officer for Natalie too or he can suggest that she go to her mother at Llanfair.”  

 

John and Antonio look at her and once again marvel at her generosity. They both know that Natalie would never make such a suggestion if the tables were turned.  John tells Antonio that he will meet him at the police station once he drops Evangeline at home.  He’ll call Bo while on the way.

 

 

John, Antonio and Bo head to Statesville.  When they arrive the Warden informs them that a group of prisoners have barricaded themselves in the mess hall.  Among the group of prisoners in Nick Messina, Hayes Barber and Carlo Hesser along with several other convicted killers and robbers.

 

John is so glad that Evangeline is home with Officer Klein as her guard.  When John arrived at the station to let Bo know about the planned prison break Officer Klein was in Bo’s office.  Bo assigned Officer Klein to Evangeline’s apartment.  Before Officer Klein left he saw Officer Barnes in the bullpen and told him what was happening.  Officers Klein and Barnes then decided to speak with Commissioner Buchanan before he left for Statesville.  Officer Klein served as the spokesperson, 

 

“Commissioner Buchanan, with your permission Sir, Officer Barnes and I would like to form another protection detail for Ms. Williamson until this riot is quelled. We know that the men who kidnapped Ms. Williamson are housed there and she would be in mortal danger were they to escape.  We’re certain that Officers Cerutti and Gregson would also like to once again serve on this detail.”  

 

Bo is not surprised by this request.  These officers have grown quite fond of Evangeline and her thank you gifts made quite an impression on each of them.  Bo tells them, 

 

“Run it by Sgt. Moore and if he okays it then you have my permission.  Make sure to check in with Sgt. Moore intermittently so that he’s kept abreast of everything.  If he’s not available report to the SOD on duty.”  

 

And so Evangeline’s protection team is on duty.

 

 

At the prison Barber and Messina demand to talk with John. Bo doesn’t want John to go in but John convinces Bo that innocent people will be harmed if they don’t settle this matter.  John tries to convince him, 

 

“Bo this place is surrounded.  There’s nowhere they can go.  If I don’t make it back tell Evangeline that I love her.”  

 

With that John turns and enters the prison and heads for the mess hall.  Bo stands in the prison courtyard feeling helpless.  Antonio stays outside the walls since he’s a civilian.  He prays for Cristian and John to survive this ordeal.

 

 

Several intense hours have passed.  Those in Llanview watch the unfolding news story on their television screens.  Evangeline refuses to watch the news.  She busies herself with working on several of her cases that have court dates next week.  She prays for all those involved and for a peaceful resolution.  She’s thankful for her ‘protection detail’ and makes sure that whomever is on duty is fed and comfortable.

 

Her phone ringing jerks Evangeline out of her daydreaming. 

 

“Hello! Evangeline this is Antonio. Get to the hospital!  John has been shot!”  

 

All Evangeline wants to do is scream but she knows that won’t help John.  Instead she rushes to her door to tell Officer Barnes, who’s now on duty, that they have to go to the hospital and Lt. McBain has been shot.  Officer Barnes acknowledges the information and calls in to the station for any updates.  Meanwhile Evangeline is getting dressed in her bedroom.  Five minutes later she and Officer Barnes are on their way to the hospital.  He informs her that the prison riot was squashed.  Lt. McBain and Cristian Vega were shot and are on route to Llanview General.  Prisoners Barber and Messina are dead.  Carlo Hesser was the ringleader and confessed to kidnapping and brainwashing Cristian Vega in his efforts to take over the Santi organization.

 

Evangeline catches her breath. The words reverberate in her head, ‘prisoners Barber and Messina are dead’.  She leans her head back on the headrest and takes a calming breath. It’s over.  It’s finally over.  She says that in her mind over and over again.  Although she knew that they were locked away for life, a little part of her feared that as long as hey were alive they remained a threat. She didn’t wish death on them but she remained ever vigilant. Now she can actually breathe.

 

Then the realization returns that she could lose John.  She doesn’t know how badly wounded he is she just knows that he’s been shot.  Arriving at the emergency room entrance she jumps out of the car.  Rushing to the desk she asks about Lt. McBain. The lady at the desk tells her that they are on route and have not yet arrived.  Officer Barnes comes in after parking the car and lets her know that they should arrive in 20 minutes.  They go to sit in the waiting area.  Ten minutes later Michael McBain rushes into the emergency room area.  He sees Evangeline sitting with Officer Barnes and rushes over to hug her.  Before she can ask he tells her, 

 

“They’ve stabilized him.  He has a gun shot wound to the abdomen.  They managed to stop the bleeding but he’s lost a lot of blood.  It would not have been so bad but John stopped to help Cristian, who was also shot in the abdomen, before he even looked at himself.  You know John, always the hero.”  

 

Evangeline looks at Michael and knows that he’s joking around to keep from crying.  Evangeline just wants to see John for herself.  

 

While they stand there Carlotta Vega and Natalie rush into the emergency area waiting room.  Michael walks over to give them an update on Cristian.  Earlier when Evangeline spoke with Antonio he told her that he would call Carlotta and Natalie and tell them the truth about Cristian’s release but what’s the saying, ‘the best laid plans of mice and men are made to go astray’?  

 

Evangeline notices a rush of activity at the end of the hall. In rushes paramedics pushing one (1) gurney closely followed by another set of paramedics pushing a second gurney.  Everyone gasps in horror to see all of the blood on both victims.  Those waiting family members are pushed aside to make way for the gurneys.  Both men are rushed into separate emergency room cubicles.  Michael works on Cristian while another doctor works on John.  The family members wait anxiously for word about their loved ones.  Evangeline goes to the chapel to offer thanks that John and Cristian are alive and for a speedy recovery for them both.  When Evangeline returns to the emergency area waiting room Officer Barnes tells her that a nurse came out to tell the families that both men are in surgery and shall be for several hours.  They both have internal injuries and John needs a transfusion.  The surgical area waiting room is on the 4thfloor.  He goes on to say that the Vegas went to the cafeteria to get something to eat and then they will go the 4thfloor.  He waited for her to tell her what happened.  Sadly he says that now that both Barber and Messina are dead she no longer requires protection so he will head back to the station.  Evangeline hugs him and thanks him for all that he has done for her.  Officer Barnes leaves and Evangeline heads for the 4thfloor.

 

 

Four (4) hours later, Michael comes to the surgical area waiting room and informs those assembled there that both men made it through the surgeries.  The surgeons are satisfied and are confident that both men will make full recoveries.  They are both now in recovery and will be moved to private rooms on the 5thfloor.  He tells them the room numbers and says the patients should be in their rooms within the hour and the family can visit them then and there. A sigh of relief can be heard from everyone present.  Michael looks around the room and sees Evangeline, the Vegas, Natalie, her mother and sister, Nora, Bo and several police officers.  Michael leaves to check on his brother before he returns to his regular duties.  He is so thankful that John will be all right.  He doesn’t call his mother because she’s out of the country.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.