Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

The True Measure

 

 

Chapter 17

 

 

One would think that as a defense attorney Evangeline would have an abundance of patience and she does when it comes to her job.  She can wait for a witness to complete their testimony before she throws them a question from left field that takes them totally unaware and has them backtracking through their original statement and finally winding up telling the truth which ends in an acquittal for her client. But when it comes to her personal life not so much.  

 

So here she sits at John’s bedside waiting for him to wake up. She knows that he’s asleep and not unconscious because the attending nurse told her that he regained consciousness while in recovery and asked for his clothes so that he could go home. Evangeline laughs at the thought because it sounds so like John.  He’s not in ICU and that is a good thing and his prognosis is good. Now if he would only open those pretty eyes of his so that she can know for sure that he’s really with her and will be okay.  Growing tired of sitting in the chair she walks over to the window and looks out at the sky.  Another morning is dawning and even with the rain falling she is thankful for it.  

 

“Hello beautiful,”she hears from behind her and she turns and rushes over to him.  

 

Grabbing his hand she says, “You’re awake!  How do you feel?” He tries to turn to his side and grimaces. “Stay still.  Let me call the nurse,”and she does before he can stop her.  

 

He just wants to spend these moments with her.  He thinks about the chaos in the prison.  He knew that he had been shot but he was determined to get to Cristian.  It could have been worse for John but Cristian actually saved him.  Some of the prisoners John helped put in prison and they were not too happy to see him.  When the shots started flying two (2) were for him but Cristian pushed him out of the way.  The first shot hit but the second shot missed him thanks to Cristian. Carlo Hesser shot Cristian because Cristian remembered Hesser from when he was kidnapped.  John feels hands on him and knows they are not Evangeline’s.  Shaking his head to clear his thoughts he sees the nurse taking his blood pressure and increasing his pain medication. John asks her not to increase it too much because he doesn’t want to become dependent upon it.  Once satisfied that he is comfortable the nurse tells John that the doctor will be in to see him shortly.  Evangeline returns to the side of his bed and fluffs his pillow.  He knows that she is scared for him and worried about him.

 

John grabs her hand to stop her action, “I’m okay. I’m right here.”  

 

He squeezes her hand and she smiles at him and sits down again on the chair next to his bed.  Covering his hand with both her hands she pulls his hand to her cheek and he looks at her and sees the worry in her eyes.  He starts to say something but she cuts him off, 

 

“Look at us. Between the two of us we’ve kept this hospital in business in the last few months.  You scared me to death John.  I thought that I’d lost you.  Not everyone knows that we’re together again and basically the only reason that they allowed me in here is because Michael vouched for me, ‘family members only’ they said.  I felt disenfranchised.  I know what you are to me and you know what I am to you but the rest of the world see us as just friends.  Marry me John, be my husband.  Let the world know that we belong to each other.”

 

John moves her hand to his cheek and replies, “No.”  

 

Evangeline is shocked.  She blinks several times to make sure that she’s not having a nightmare. She tries to snatch her hand away but he holds it fast.  

 

“Did you just say no?” she mutters. 

 

With her hand on his cheek he says, 

 

“If I could get down on one knee I would but we can consider that I am reclining. Evangeline Williamson, the most amazing woman that I have ever met, will you marry me?  And before you answer me let me explain that the reason that I stopped you is because it’s the man’s responsibility to propose. I’m all for women’s lib and all but on that I draw the line.  And just like you I want the world to know that we belong to each other. So will you marry me?”

 

“Yes!” she emphatically says.  “I understand why you said no and I’m okay with that.  Now I will make a concession because I want us to get married soon.  We can have a simple ceremony as soon as possible and then have a big wedding later if you want. You know that I never planned to get married so I don’t have any dream wedding in mind.  I just want to be your wife.” 

 

While she’s saying this she inching closer and closer to him so that by the time she’s finished she’s lying in the bed with him on the side opposite from where his wound is.  John’s still holding her hand and looking at her and matches her intensity when he says, “And I just want to be your husband.”












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.