Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Evangeline's a married lady.  What's next for her and John?




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The True Measure

 

 

Chapter 19

 

 

Arriving back in Llanview totally in love and well rested the couple return to work with a renewed vigor.  Evangeline’s client base is growing and she’s hired two (2) new associates who start next week.  John has received a promotion to Assistant Commissioner and Antonio rejoined the force and is now Chief of Detectives.

 

The only thing that has not happened is that they have not found a house.  They’ve viewed several but none of them felt like home.  They’re beginning to think that they’re too picky.  While out for a drive one lazy Saturday afternoon they decide to drive to the neighborhood  where they really, really want to buy a house but nothing is ever on the market. Familiar with the area they decide to park the car and walk the neighborhood.  They like what they see.  The houses are large and well kept.  The population is diverse in races as well as ages.  The schools are highly rated and it is close to many amenities.  

 

They walk two (2) blocks from their car when they see a man placing a for sale sign in the yard in front of one of the houses.  They approach him and ask about the house. He offers to take them in for a tour.  The realtor explains that the couple selling it is moving to Portland, Oregon for a new job. John and Evangeline walk through each room on each floor, the garages and the backyard, from top to bottom they walk through that house.  The realtor reminds them that property in this area sells quickly so if they’re interested let him know.  He gives them his card.  They return to their car and sit there discussing the house.  It has everything that they’re looking for and more.  Of course they will need an inspection done.  The price is reasonable and well within their comfort zone.  Neither of them are spendthrifts and are strong proponents of savings one’s money.  They call the realtor and make an offer contingent upon an inspection.  He tells them that he will contact his clients and call them back.  They drive back home and settle in for the evening.

 

Monday comes and goes with no word from the realtor. Disappointed they pull out the homes for sale booklet and check for houses that might interest them  On Tuesday Evangeline is in court all day and John is in Harrisburg for a state convention and neither hear from the realtor  Crossing that house off their list of possibilities they continue their search.  Friday evening they’re both at home in the kitchen cooking.  John’s phone rings and he’s thinking that it’s the station.  

 

He answers, “McBain.”  

 

The caller responds, “Mr. McBain, this is Karl Patton, the realtor for the property on Revere Place.”  

 

John puts the call on speaker so that Evangeline can hear too. 

 

“I apologize for not calling you before now but I had a family emergency and just returned to town an hour ago.  My clients accept your offer contingent upon the inspection.  I will fax the offer papers to you for your signatures.”  

 

They shout, “We have a house!”

 

 

The inspection does not reveal any problems but Evangeline insists upon a three (3) year warranty to be safe.  The sellers agree and they purchase the house.  After having the house blessed they have it cleaned and all the rooms painted.  They purchase furniture and decorate it to their tastes and they move in the last week in November.

 

Deciding not to have a housewarming party they opt instead to have a Christmas party on December 23rdso that their family and friends can see their new home.  Having the gathering on the 23rddoesn’t interfere with anyone’s Christmas Eve plans plus John and Evangeline want a quiet Christmas in their first home together.  They both are still working up until the 23rdso Evangeline hires decorators and caterers for the event.  Everyone has a good time. The house looks magnificent and the food is delicious.  So as not to alienate any of the neighbors since none of them were invited to the Christmas party they had a meet and greet the Saturday before and it went very well and everyone welcomed them to the neighborhood.

 

Once everyone clears out of the house, including the caterers and their equipment, John and Evangeline take a nice hot bath and head for bed. They’re both out like lights as soon as their heads hit their pillows.

 

 

On Christmas morning they have breakfast and then open their presents.  They decide not to buy a lot of gifts this year what with the weddings and the house purchase. John bought Evangeline a bracelet and she bought him a watch.  John looks at the tree and notices one more present beneath it.  He doesn’t remember seeing that there last night and he was the last one to go to bed.  Evangeline’s sitting on the sofa admiring her bracelet so John retrieves the present and sits next to her.  The label on the present has ‘for John and Evangeline’.  John opens the present and finds two small tee shirts.  Thinking it’s a gag gift John turns one of the shirts to read what’s on front.  It has ‘Daddy’s little boy’.  He picks up the other shirt and it has on it, ‘Mommy’s little girl’.  

 

John looks at Evangeline and she’s smiling at him,  “Merry Christmas John.”  

 

John picks her up and twirls her around.  “Are you telling me that you’re pregnant?  We’re having a baby!”  

 

Evangeline picks up the two (2) shirts and says, “John we’re having two (2) babies, a girl and a boy.” 

 

John looks at her, takes her and sits down on the sofa with her on his lap.  He rubs her stomach then bends to kiss it.  He takes her chin and turns her face towards him and kisses her pouring into that kiss all of his love.  

 

She chuckles in the kiss, “That’s how we got these two (2) little ones.”  

 

He is so excited and overjoyed and with a tremor in his voice says, 

 

“I love you and thank you for loving me. Thank you for giving me everything that I could have ever hoped for.”  

 

With that John carries his wife upstairs to their bedroom and shows her again and again just how thankful he is.

 

 

Author’s Note: Thnx for reading until the end.  This was such fun to write and I hope fun for you to read. Until next time.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.