Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The True Measure

 

 

Chapter 6

 

John recovers and asks Sgt. Moore if he’s heard anything about anyone finding the kidnappers on the mountain.  Just as Sgt. Moore is preparing to answer John the Sgt.’s cell phone rings and he answers, 

 

“Sgt. Moore here.”  

 

The caller responds, “Jacob, this is Carl.”  

 

Sgt. Moore asks Carl to hold while he puts the call on speaker. Sgt. Moore explains to John that Captain Carl Nichols is with the State Police.  

 

“Carl I have you on speaker.  I have Lt. McBain here with me.  Go ahead and report what you have.”  

 

Carl says, “We’ve apprehended the two (2) suspects in the area you suggested.  One was in the back seat of the car in bad shape with injuries to his back, knees and ankles.  That’s why we were able to get them.  His accomplice had to drag him to the car and that took a lot of time but first he had to get the car back on the road and it took more time than he thought.  Once he managed to get the car on the road he heard someone yelling in the woods and followed the yelling and found his accomplice.  The man couldn’t stand but was trying to drag himself back to the road.  We’re on our way to your station.  We should arrive within the hour.”  

 

Sgt. Moore responds, “Carl thank you so much.  I’ll see you when you get here.”  

 

Sgt. Moore smiles and looks at John.  “Do you want to tell Atty. Williamson that the kidnappers are in custody?”  

 

John raises sad eyes to Sgt. Moore and slowly replies, 

 

“No.  You should tell her.  You did all of the work.  Sgt. Moore I apologize for my earlier behavior. Everything you did was the right thing to do and well within your responsibility.  I am thankful that you were here to help Ms. Williamson. One thing though, we need to make certain to have adequate security around Ms. Williamson.  The kidnappers should not know that she is here.  As soon as they are in cells she may agree to go to the hospital.  These men are not only kidnappers but also murderers.  She is a witness now and we must keep her safe.”  

 

Sgt. Moore is surprised by John’s apology and appreciates it. In an effort to let the Lt. know that he harbors no hard feelings he offers his hand to shake John’s hand and John reciprocates.  With the called truce Sgt. Moore feels comfortable to respond and says, 

 

“Lt. I’m glad that we are on the same team and I agree that we must keep Atty. Williamson safe.  How about we join forces to convince her to go to the hospital before the State Police arrive with the two prisoners.  We will have a guard with her every minute as well as having your brother, Dr. McBain, sign off on any medical staff who will attend her.  If the injured kidnapper needs transportation to the hospital we must make certain to have the area heavily guarded and secure. We will do every thing by the book.  These guys will not get off on some technicality due to our negligence.  Let’s put an end to this nightmare we’ve all been experiencing.”  

 

John replies, “I whole heartedly agree with you Sergeant.  Now let’s take care of Ms. Williamson.”

 

 

 

The two (2) men return to the cell and find Evangeline sitting on the bed with a portable oxygen tank beside her and a nasal cannula in her nose and Michael trying to convince her to go to the hospital with him. Sgt. Moore takes this time to inform Evangeline of the capture of the kidnappers.  He walks over to the bed, bends down in front of her, takes her hand, looks into her eyes and says, 

 

“Ms. Williamson, the State Police have the suspects in custody and are transporting them here and should arrive within the hour.  Will you agree now to go to the hospital and receive the medical care that you need?”  

 

Evangeline looks at Sgt. Moore and whispers, 

 

“I can’t. I can’t leave until they are locked up.  Anything can happen during transport, a car crash, a plane crash, ask Lt. McBain he can tell you about unforeseen circumstances.  Sgt. Moore I really appreciate your concern for me but I can’t leave this cell until I know, and you will tell me, when those two (2) men are behind bars. If you shackle them it will make me feel even safer.  Please just bear with me a little longer just until you have them in custody here and locked away.  You will have your most capable officers guarding them right? Their cells will be escape proof. Someone will watch them 24/7, they will be under constant surveillance right?  Please Sgt. Moore I want this nightmare to end.”  

 

Evangeline then turns her head to look at Michael and then at John. To John she says, 

 

“You owe me at least that.”  

 

John is taken aback that she addresses him in such a manner. She has never talked to him like that.  Both Sgt. Moore and Michael are a bit embarrassed to be witnesses to this exchange.  Not wanting to let this opportunity pass him by John recovers to respond, 

 

“Evangeline you are my first priority.  I will do all within my power and ability to protect you from harm. We will do whatever you want that will make you feel comfortable and safe.  Sgt. Moore here has done an exemplary job in handling everything thus far and if you want him to continue to spearhead this effort then he will.”  

 

Now it’s Evangeline turn to be taken aback.  She in no way expected John to respond as he has. She thought that he would bulldoze his way in, sidestep Sgt. Moore and assume the leadership position. Not wanting to cause any friction between the police officers Evangeline decides to offer a compromise.  She is after all an attorney and a negotiator.  With that in mind she asks all three men (3) men to come closer so that she doesn’t have to speak so loud because her throat is getting a bit scratchy.  

 

“Lt. McBain, I do appreciate that you’re putting me at the top of your ‘priority’ list as I am also certain that you have much work to do concerning this case.  You and Sgt. Moore make a great team and I have every confidence that you will do all that you can to protect me. I’m not trying to be difficult or add more work for either of you.  I just want to live without the fear of being tortured and killed.  I’m still running on adrenaline and I’m afraid that once that adrenaline rush dissipates and the realization of what has happened this day and add to that what I have endured the last two (2) weeks that I will fall apart.  Dr. McBain may even have to admit me to a psych ward somewhere.  Gentlemen please understand this, I am holding on by a thread now and I feel that thread starting to u-n-r-a-v-e-l.”  

 

Evangeline says this looking at each man one by one but when she says the last past about ‘unraveling’, all three (3) men surround her and enclose her in their arms.  

 

The one who knows her the least, Sgt. Moore says to her, “Ms. Williamson, we will take care of you, we will protect you.”  

 

Michael adds, “Evangeline you are stronger than you think.  You have survived this and you will heal and I will be with you every step of the way.”  

 

And last but not least John adds, “Whatever you want me to do to help you make it through this and beyond I will do.  Please allow me to be here for you is all I ask.”  

 

Having these three (3) men surrounding her, comforting her, allows Evangeline to release some, but not all, of the tension she is feeling. The only thing that she can say in response is, “Thank you.”












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.