Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The True Measure

 

 

Chapter 9

 

Several hours later Evangeline is awake and playing cards with Michael and Officer Gregson.  Officer Cerutti left two (2) hours ago to get some sleep but made the others officers promise to call him when Ms. Williamson is ready to go to the hospital.  Officer Gregson and Michael thought that they would ‘let’ Evangeline win the card games in an effort to lift her spirits but she actually won most of the games on her own.  

 

Michael just shakes his head because he has learned so many new things about Evangeline in these hours that he has spent with her.  He can’t understand how his brother didn’t fight to keep her in his life.  Michael knows that Evangeline is the woman for his brother but he doesn’t have a clue how to get them back together.  They are both strong willed and workaholics and relationships take time and compromise.  Michael learned that in his relationship with Marcie as Hugh Hughes and Hayes Barber caused friction in their relationship.  Now how does he impart this kernel of wisdom to John and Evangeline either individually or collectively?  These two have to work through this on their own but Michael will advise John not to give up on Evangeline because she is worth fighting for and it’s to John’s advantage to make an effort at a reconciliation.

 

 

 

The next morning when Sgt. Moore and John return Officer Barnes is standing guard.  They walk to the cell area and find Evangeline asleep in her cell and Michael asleep in the adjacent cell.  When John opens Evangeline’s cell door she jumps up as if startled out of her sleep.  As her vision clears she sees that John is not alone.  Behind John and Sgt. Moore she sees her mother, Nora and Bo.  Her mother rushes to her and hugs her for dear life all the while crying and thanking God that her baby is safe.  Nora is crying too and Bo is clasping his hands together trying to figure what to do with them.  When Mrs. Williamson finally releases Evangeline Nora rushes over to pull her into a hug and tell her how happy she is that she is safe. Evangeline draws back and looks at Nora and asks, 

 

“Am I safe Nora?  What has happened?”  

 

Nora looks around at everyone in the room and by this time Michael is awake and has joined the crowd in the area just outside of Evangeline’s cell.  Nora starts talking, 

 

“Evangeline you are well loved in this community.  The community lined up to sit on an emergency grand jury and judges lined up to hold the arraignment as early as possible. An indictment was issued, the arraignment was held and bail was denied.  With all of the evidence collected, the community rallying around this case, the defendants pled guilty and the judge immediately sentenced them both to life in prison.  The State Police took both Hayes Barber and Nick Messina to Statesville Prison.  They are now behind bars there in maximum security to live out the rest of their lives. Evangeline, you are safe now.”

 

All in the room look at her expecting her to cry with relief but all she says is, 

 

“I want to go to the hospital now.  I don’t feel very well.”  And then she passes out.

 

 

 

Author’s Note:  I know that this chapter is very short but I wanted to separate it.  This reflects the end of the kidnapping and now in the remaining chapters we deal with the aftermath and how our characters handle it.  As Evangeline says, her life has changed as a result of the kidnapping.  It remains to be seen just how that is manifested.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.