Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

From Chaos to What?  Chaos is a ladder

 

 

Chapter 7

 

 

Shortly after John and Todd’s talk about John’s true feelings for Evangeline, John did do as Todd suggested and told Evangeline all that he wanted with her.  Evangeline wasn’t buying what he was selling.

 

Now that Todd has found his son and Todd and his children are settling into their new home Evangeline can once again concentrate on her law practice.  During the time of her blindness she did lose some clients, so much for loyalty.  But since regaining her sight she has acquired several new clients.  For that matter she has a trip scheduled to San Francisco to meet with executives at a company for which she did some work a few years ago. This is the same company that she visited on the trip from which she returned and found John and Natalie in his room.  Not a nice memory. 

 

The sound of her intercom breaks her from that trip down memory lane as her receptionist announces that Lt. John McBain is here to see her. Evangeline is not aware of an appointment with John.  When they were together he didn’t need an appointment, he could stop by anytime but now that they are no longer a couple maybe she needs to tell him to start making appointments if he wants to see her.  It may seem cruel but Evangeline still feels fragile when it comes to John McBain.

 

During the search for Todd’s son she and John did spend time together brainstorming on how best to utilize all their resources to find Todd’s son. John had many useful suggestions and the private investigators were top notch.  They even shared a couple of dinners together during that time but neither ever broached the idea or possibility of a reconciliation. Not that she made a point to inquire about John’s life but people did seem to want to volunteer information. That’s how she knew that he was no longer with Natalie.

 

So as Evangeline sits at her desk waiting for John to enter she makes a note to herself to take some time during the San Francisco trip to take in some sights while there instead of sitting in her hotel room between meetings and working.  John comes in and apologizes for the interruption, 

 

Thanks for allowing me this time in your busy day.  I just wanted to stop by to see how you are doing and ask you out for dinner. Now that Todd has found his son and everyone has settled in I have to admit that I miss our brainstorming dinners and if truth be told I miss spending time with you.”  

 

Evangeline is surprised by John’s candor but with her upcoming trip she really does not have any time to spare so she tells him, 

 

“John I’m sorry but I don’t have any time.  I’m leaving for San Francisco in two (2) days and I will need all of my available time to get ready for the meetings that I will have while there.”  

 

John looks disappointed but putting on a brave face and not giving up on the first try he tries another tactic, “Will you have any time for sightseeing between or after meetings?”

 

Evangeline frowns at John trying to figure out where this conversation is leading, “Yes I will.  Funny you should ask me that because I just made a note to myself that I really should do some sightseeing while there.  I didn’t do any the last time that I went to San Francisco.”

 

From the crinkling of his brow she knows that he remembers what happened on her return from her last trip to San Francisco.  He doesn’t want to dwell on that sad memory. Instead he forges on and gives it his best shot.  He decides to ask the question no matter the cost, 

 

“Can I come with you to San Francisco?”

 

Now Evangeline, knowing that she must be hallucinating or something, stands up; goes to her door; asks her receptionist to come to her office; and asks her, 

 

“Barbara, who is in my office?  Tell me who is in my office.  Don’t worry I’m just trying to win a bet.”  

 

Barbara steps in the office and says, “Ms. Williamson, in your office I see you, Lt. McBain and myself. So do you win the bet?” 

 

Evangeline responds, “No Barbara, I lost.” 

 

“Oops sorry,”says Barbara.

 

“No matter Barbara.  Thank you for your time.  You may return to you desk,”says Evangeline.  

 

She then turns to John and asks, “What is this about John?  Why would you come with me to San Francisco?  Don’t you have to work?  You never take time off.”

 

John walks over to her, stands in front of her and looks into her eyes,

 

“Evangeline, I want to spend some time alone with you away from Llanview.  The only time that we went away together was for your great aunt’s funeral and that didn’t turn out so well.  I can’t change the past Evangeline.  I made so many mistakes with us.  I just want another chance with you.  I know that you have work to do and I’m sure that I can find things to entertain myself while you have your meetings. After your meetings then we can enjoy the sights together, Fisherman’s Wharf, the Golden Gate Bridge and Chinatown to name a few.  I just want to share this experience with you. What do you say?”

 

“I don’t know John.  At such short notice it’s going to be hard to find a flight and a hotel let alone considering the expense.” Evangeline says not believing that she is even considering this preposterous idea.  

 

Not giving her time to change her mind John quickly grabs a pad and pen from her desk and hands them to her, Write down your flight and hotel info and I’ll see what I can do. Let me worry about the expense. You’re worth whatever it costs.”

 

Evangeline writes down the information on the pad and tears off the sheet of paper and hands it to John.  

 

“You will let me know what happens won’t you?”   

 

John smiles and says, “I will let you know by the end of the day.  Bye.”  

 

As quietly as he entered John leaves Evangeline’s office with her standing there wondering what did she just do.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.