Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

 

Incompatible - Part II

 

(After some consideration decided to add a bit more to this story.)

 

 

After Bishop and McGee explain to me what Star Warsis and the meaning to ‘May the Force be with you’ they deduce that Margie was only joking with me.  Although I feel a little better after that it still does not explain why I have not heard from her.  We usually have lunch together and our routine is to call ahead of time to decide whether she will bring lunch with her or I will meet her somewhere.  

 

McGee looks at me and says,

 

“Boss we think that you took this a little too seriously.  Ms. McGregor was probably just joking with you about the Star Wars thing.  Some Star Wars fans take it very seriously if others don’t share their enthusiasm for the movie but Ms. McGregor doesn’t seem like one of those extreme fans.  Now I’m sure that there are some things that you do that she does not find as enjoyable as you do.  Your woodworking is an example.  You wouldn’t stop seeing her just because she doesn’t share your enthusiasm for carpentry, would you?  So don’t worry she will call you soon and you will see that everything is fine.”

 

Not wanting to spend any more time on this we all return to our desks.  We steadily work to finish our reports on last week’s cases.   Several times I look up and see one of them watching me.  I stare at them to get them to stop and they all get the message. I am fine.

 

Lunchtime comes and goes and the team notices that I am still in the office and not at lunch with Margie.  A look at them tells me that now they are starting to doubt their own conclusions.  Now no one wants to look my way.  Maybe I was right in the first place to think that Margie was serious about not being with me because I am not a Star Wars fan.  But that would be silly for her to do and Margie is not a silly woman. This is simply a case of my overreacting and that is not something that I usually do.  That’s the effect that Margie has on me, doing unusual things.  For the most part I like the unusual things that she makes me do but this is not one of them. To even think about her not in my life is not a pleasant thought.

 

At two o’clock in the afternoon I attend a meeting with Director Vance in MTAC. This takes my mind off of Margie and puts it on something else.  When I return to my desk, needless to say, I am not prepared for what I find happening.  McGee, Bishop, Torres and Reeves are all standing around waving what looks like lighted swords around in the air.  Margie is standing at my desk with the same type of sword in her hand.

 

“May I ask what you all are doing?  This is a work place people.”  I say as sternly as I can even though I am so glad to see Margie and I’m trying to keep the glee out of my voice.

 

They scurry to return to their desks and make some pretense of working.  I walk to my desk and Margie moves for me to sit in my chair.  Not wanting her to know how much I missed her today but to show some restraint I do not touch her at all or even greet her, which is rude of me but it is how I feel at this moment.

 

“Special Agent Gibbs it is so nice to see you today.  Sorry I missed our lunch but you did remember that this was my meeting day with my Director and we have a communications black out during our once a month meeting.  You do remember that right?”

 

Now it feels like the air changes in the room.  I forgot all about Margie’s once a month meeting with her Director. She continues to speak,

 

“I’ve been in meetings since six o’clock this morning and just took a break an hour ago and I checked my messages as soon as I could.  One message was really interesting and it concerned a misunderstanding of a conversation about Star Wars and what I would consider from a compatible companion.  It was just a joke.  I don’t expect for anyone to have my taste in things because I have a very eclectic taste in everything.  Why would anyone want to be with someone who enjoys everything that they do?  Where is the fun in that?  Let them discover different things together and they can learn from each other.

 

I gave your staff light sabers and here’s one for you.  Just stopped by to let you know that I’m in meetings until eight o’clock this evening and I just wanted to see you.  I will leave now.  Agent Bishop thanks for the message.”

 

Margie heads towards the elevators and I rush to join her.  We are the only two on the elevator so I stop the elevator to talk with Margie.

 

“So it was a joke.”

 

“Not actually a joke but neither was it a serious statement.  It would be just like if you said to me that we’re not compatible because I don’t like your westerns or because I don’t like to eat steak once a week.  I said it out of frustration really. We planned to have a weekend together and then you had to work Saturday and then I tried for a movie on Sunday, one of my favorite movies, and you didn’t want to see that so I just lashed out at you.  I was wrong and I am sorry for the misunderstanding.  I had no idea that it would get this out of control.  

 

Bishop left a message for me about the conversation that you had with your team and so ‘woman to woman’ she wanted to give me a heads up on the confusion.  I appreciate that she did call me.  I brought the light sabers as a way to lighten the mood, pun intended. I’m sure they will explain what the light sabers are when you return to your desk.

 

Jethro there is no other place I want to be except with you. At least we’re still talking so let’s chalk this one up as a failure to communicate and I will try not to make this mistake again.”

 

“I thought that you were serious and it scared me a little.  Not many things scare me but the thought of you not in my life does scare me.  Mr. Rough and Tough Gibbs scared how do you explain that?  I will lose all respect from my team.”

 

“No you won’t.  They will respect you more because they know that you are human just like they are but ‘rough and tough’ still the same.  Look at me Ms. Secret Agent all ‘gooey eyed’ over some guy.  I’ve totally lost my ‘street cred’.”

 

“Not at all.  We’re still feared and revered by those around us so let’s keep it that way.  I’d better let you go back to work so that I can go back to work.  Call me when you make it home so that I know you are safe and sound.”

 

“I will do just that Special Agent Gibbs. Thanks for understanding. You don’t have anything to worry about a far as my attachment to you.  I’m stuck like glue.”

 

Before releasing the elevator I kiss Margie.  It feels good to know that I can do that and I will talk with her later. She exits to return to her office and I return to my desk.

 

All eyes are on me when I return but I don’t say anything.  The look of calm on my face is enough for them to know that all is well in my world.

 

See what happens when you jump to conclusions and see what happens when you lash out in frustration.  All kinds of confusion ensue.  Communication is key to any relationship, be it personal or professional.

 

 

Author’s Note:  Didn’t want to end the story with Jethro so confused.  Even though I hinted at the end of the first part that Jethro might try to get back at Margie and decided that trying to one up each other is not a formula for success in a relationship so instead I followed a different route.  












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.