Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Part 6 of the Uhura's World Series: I dedicate this story to Charlene Masters, she deserves a little love too. Even thou she appeared only on the show once, she did the work of men and left a positive impact






Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Transferred

The dreadful order finally came, Starfleet Command requests the transfer of Lt. Charlene Masters to the USS. Hood. When the orders came in, Uhura went into deep shock, and she was crying when she gave the orders to Kirk. He was shock and sad for Uhura:

"I'm sorry Uhura; Starfleet orders."

"Yes sir": she walked away trying to keep her composure. She runs to her quarters, into her husband's arms.

"Spock, she's my only friend" as she cries into his chest. He could only hold his wife and felt her hurt in the knowledge of her friend.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Kirk questions Starfleet on their decision; they stated that Masters had shown exemplary work on the Enterprise and her services were needed elsewhere. The Enterprise has two expert engineers on one ship. She has the option of being a chief engineer on the Hood.
Kirk couldn't refute that he had the best crew in the fleet, well trained, loyal and disciplined. When Spock and Kirk addressed Masters of her opportunity, she gave a blank look of shock and then gratitude.

"How long do I have sirs."

"It would be about a week Lt. the paperwork has to be sent to the Hood and then a rendezvous for the exchange."

Charlene looks at the wall, and she didn't know what to think or say. Her thoughts turn to her boyfriend of a year, Hikaru.

"Lt. Your work on the Enterprise has drawn attention, and your services are needed, it's a high honor! You'll be in charge of your department, made Chief, and even a promotion to Lt. Commander!"

Spock adds: "It will also reflect on the records of your exemplary work Lt., Your service honors us."

When Charlene left the ready room, she was at a loss in thought and still trying to comprehend it all. She traveled back to her quarters and ponder the proposition that was handed to her. She will be in charge of her own department, made chief with possible up in rank. It's an officer dream come true. She will be one of the elite women in the fleet to hold such a position.
Moreover, then she feels incomplete, her thoughts drift about Hikaru, the man she began to love and thinking about a future with. She couldn't place where their relationship is leading up too, only that she cares for him deeply. There are only two possibilities; either end it or continue it, long distance. Charlene remembers Scotty's dilemma with his current girlfriend Mira Romaine, the struggles they went through with distance from each other. Will Sulu still feel the same after a couple of months apart? Charlene laid on her bed and cried; this part of the relationship is starting to hurt.

The news about Masters transfer spread like wildfire, and it hit Hikaru like a ton of bricks. He felt a loss in his heart. He knew that he cared for her a lot, but never could express himself openly about his real feeling for her. Plus he didn't want to stop her career in Starfleet or put her on the spot of total commitment either. He considers Charlene his equal and respects her independent thinking, but he didn't want her to leave. He knew it would be her choice and he had to respect that.
A little while later, Sulu and Masters met for dinner in the mess hall; first, they stared at each other and then:

"I know about your promotion, congratulation Charlene."

"Thank you Karu, I wanted to tell you first."

"Not on this ship!" as he chuckles.

They gathered their meal and sat at a table by themselves for privacy. They both ate slowly trying to find words to break the ice.

"The Hood is a good ship with a great captain, named Powers" Sulu slowly picking at his food, not really hungry.

"I did some research, and I saw his name." Charlene is also just stirring her food and not really hungry.

They both stare at their food and not speaking or looking at each other. After a few minutes, Chekov came by to congratulate.

"Congratulations Lt. Masters on your promotion!"

"Thanks, Chekov"
"When are you leaving?"

"In seven days."

Sulu's body stiffens by the timeline and looks up at her. "That soon?"

"I guess so, and I needed right away." As she sees the shock look in his face.

Sulu quickly stands up, " I... have something to do, excuse me, Char,"

Chekov stares at Sulu as he leaves, and then turns back to Charlene.

"Did I say something wrong Masters?"

"No, I don't think so, Sulu has a lot on his mind. I better go too" Charlene picks up the tray and leaves poor Chekov.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.