Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

So will John win his lady love or will he find the walls that she has built around her heart too insurmountable?




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

The Next Day

 

 

Chapter 6

 

 

Day 4

 

 

The following day John McBain finds himself at the Regency Hotel in Philadelphia in room 710.  Even though Llanview isn’t that far from Philadelphia John waited until the morning to drive over.  He reserved a room last night and plans to talk with Evangeline today. Arriving after the rush hour he assumes that her meetings are already in progress so he checks in and leaves a message for her at the front desk.  

 

Once in his room he reviews attractions in the area.  He wants to plan a special evening for the two (2) of them.  He orders flowers to be sent to her room with a card that reads, ‘I only want a chance with you.’ John does not want to just show up at her door.  He wants her to receive his message and the flowers first and then call him. Of course she will wonder how he knows where she is.  She might assume that he charmed it out of her receptionist or she may just ask him when she calls.  It wasn’t like she left trying to avoid him.  It was an unplanned trip.

 

By lunchtime John decides to leave his room in search of food. He finds a casual eatery not far from the hotel where he sits and eats a sandwich, fries and a soda.  He doesn’t want to fill up on lunch because he’s looking forward to the special dinner he has planned.

 

When five o’clock comes and goes and John hasn’t heard from Evangeline he calls the front desk to ask if she picked up his message.  The clerk tells him that his message remains and she has not responded to their voice message notifying her of the written note waiting for her at the front desk.  By six o’clock and all of his plans for the special dinner are in jeopardy he receives a call from Nora.

 

“John, it’s Nora.  Evangeline just called me to ask a legal question.  During our conversation she informs me that she’s in New York City for the day meeting with people regarding her case.  She will return on tomorrow.  I didn’t tell her anything about you.  I know that you were probably wondering where she was so that’s why I’m calling.  Hang in there.  Be patient.  She’s worth it.”

 

“Thanks for calling Nora.  Yes I was wondering where she is and yes she is worth the wait.  What’s the news on the Vega case?  That’s something that I need to also tell Evangeline.”

 

“As expected the defense attorney filed for a new trial but the judge ordered a new DNA test and transferred John Doe to St. Anne’s for a psych evaluation.  The judge will decide his fate when the test results return.  He put a gag order on all of us until the new DNA test results are received. I’ll call you when they arrive and then you can explain everything to Evangeline.”

 

“Thanks Nora for all of your help.  Good night.”

 

John quickly cancels the dinner reservation and decides not to make another one until after he talks with Evangeline.

 

 

Evangeline’s unexpected trip to New York City proves quite beneficial to her case.  She’s glad that it didn’t take all day so she makes it back to her hotel at nine o’clock that evening.  Passing the front desk the clerk recognizes her and stops her to give her the written note. A bit surprised that she has a message but thinking it’s probably from Mr. Burns or one of his attorneys she takes it with her to her room instead of immediately opening it.  

 

Upon entering her room she again has something waiting for her. On the table near the window is a gorgeous bouquet of flowers.  She smiles thinking that Nora did send her a gift as she said she would. Rushing to read the attached card she wants to see what encouraging words Nora has for her.  

 

Evangeline opens the card and reads ‘I only want a chance with you.’  She stops and looks around for the note that the front clerk gave to her.  Hurrying to read it she rips the envelope into shreds getting to the note inside.  With her hand to her mouth, her heart pounding in her chest, she reads the words written there.  She turns to exit her room, then she stops, she turns again, and once again she stops.  Her head and her heart are battling for dominance.  Her head says, ‘it can’t be this easy’; her heart says, ‘I want to believe that it is true; her head rebuts, ‘don’t make it easy for him, he has to prove himself; her heart responds, ‘this is not a game of one upmanship’.  What seems like hours are only minutes that pass during this head and heart battle.

 

In room 710 John orders room service.  He hasn’t eaten since lunch and with his cancelled dinner plans he’s now hungry.  After a shower and a change into casual clothes John waits for the food to arrive and thinks about what tomorrow will bring once he finally sees Evangeline. Maybe the flowers and the note will soften her enough for her to agree to meet with him and talk to him about ‘them’.  He wants there to be a ‘them’ but he’s not sure if she does.  Somehow he has to change her mind.  John has no ‘tricks up his sleeve’ and he’s not one of those suave and debonair guys who can charm a woman.  He’s just John McBain.  He’s just a guy who wants a girl to be his.

 

While waiting for his food John looks for something to watch on the television.  He settles for a late baseball game.  A knock at the door alerts him and when he hears, “Room Service”, he rises to open the door.  The waiter rolls in the cart and places the tray on the table.  John signs the bill and turns to check on his order while the waiter rolls the cart out of the door.  Satisfied that room service did send the right food John realizes that he didn’t hear the door close.  Turning to close the door John stops in his tracks.

 

There standing at the almost closed door, still dressed in her suit from her New York City trip, is Evangeline.  With a flower from the bouquet in one hand and his note in her other hand she demands,

 

“What the h*** is this John?”






Chapter End Notes:

Come on folks now you know that you have to stay until the end to find out if these two can really make a go of it.  You will regret it if you don't read it until the end. Hee, hee!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.