Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The Next Day

 

 

Chapter 8

 

(The return to Llanview)

 

(All the legal procedures are figments of the writer’s imagination unless of course if they are actually correct.  Ha! Ha!)

 

Day 5

 

Evangeline calls John on one of her breaks from her meetings to inform him that she will be ready to leave at six o’clock this evening.  All parties should have documents completed and signed by five o’clock and then she can leave for her hotel.  Since she’s already packed all she has to do is check out and hit the road.  John tells her he will be ready and asks if she wants to have dinner before the drive back to Llanview.  She declines and says that she just wants to get home.

 

John packs his bags and waits for the hours to pass.  At four o’clock that afternoon Nora calls him and tells him that the new DNA test results arrived and verify that John Doe is Cristian Vega.  The judge overturns the conviction and releases Cristian into his brother/cousin Antonio’s custody with a stipulation that Cristian continue psychiatric counseling. The judge has concern that since Cristian was brainwashed that there may remain mental triggers that may cause him to exhibit irrational behavior.  As to overturning the conviction the judge ruled that Cristian was not in his right mind when the crime was committed and was not reasonably sane to stand trial.  The pysch evaluation substantiated that too.  The gag order is now lifted.  The family now has Cristian and oddly enough the judge commends John for having the foresight to have the initial DNA test done.  It saved the State from perpetuating a grievous error by keeping a mentally abused man in prison for life for a crime over which he had no control.  John is shocked and totally relieved at the results.  As soon as they start the drive back to Llanview he will tell Evangeline everything that has happened.

 

 

 

On the return trip to Llanview John tells Evangeline everything about the Vega case.  Once he explains the gag order she forgives him for not telling her last night.  Surprisingly enough she commends him for not keeping Cristian’s identity a secret.  She surmises that keeping such detail a secret would have caused undue hurt to all parties involved.  By the time John pulls up to Evangeline’s apartment she is asleep.  Reluctantly he wakes her and carries her bags up to her apartment.  He really doesn’t want to leave her.  During the trip back they do talk about their past relationship and although she does not agree to readily rescind her decision she does agree for them to continue to talk and spend time together.  At this time she prefers to keep the status of their relationship between the two (2) of them, or rather the three (3) of them since Nora knows about the breakup.  For all that anyone else knows they’re still a couple.

 

Evangeline stresses that John has to show to her, in his actions, that he is committed to their relationship.  Once the news of Cristian Vega’s return spreads all eyes will turn to John and his interactions with both Natalie and Cristian. Evangeline vows to John if there is even a hint of duplicity on his part as it relates to Natalie then she will call it quits with him and there will be no ‘rethinking’ anything.

 

Before John leaves Evangeline’s apartment to return to his car and go home she says to him as he turns the doorknob to leave,

 

“John thanks again for coming for me.  It may seem like I’m being hard on you about rekindling our relationship but just know that this is hard for me too.  I would love nothing more than to run into your arms and forget about everything that I wrote in that letter but I can’t.  It hurts too much.  I love you John, I really do.  I didn’t plan on falling in love with you but I did.  In that you didn’t fall in love with me I have to stop blaming you for that.  You feel what you feel and if you don’t love me, you don’t love me.  Now you say that you’re open to exploring the idea of love again that’s a good start.  So I will consider that a turn in the right direction.  I would hate to draw a line in the sand about the ‘I love you’ and miss out on something wonderful.  Your actions will say a whole lot more than your words John.  When your actions say ‘I love you Evangeline’ then maybe that will encourage me to wait patiently for the words ‘I love you Evangeline’.  I’ve been patient with you John and as of a few days ago I reached my patience limit.  So let us say that today, now, at this moment, we move on to a new chapter in the Evangeline and John story.  Let’s make it noteworthy.  You don’t give up on us and I won’t give up on us.  Early on you told me that we’re worth fighting for John. Either we fight this battle together or we don’t fight it at all.”

 

Like in her dream, Evangeline reaches out her hand to shake John’s hand.  He reciprocates and adds his own words,

 

“Evangeline I will not give up on you or on us.  Yes we are still worth fighting for and I intend to win the battle with you by my side.  Words cannot express my gratitude for you agreeing to stay in this battle with me.  If I should stray or misstep along the way please don’t despair and throw up your hands in defeat.  This is like learning to walk again for me so please be patient with me.  If you have to, simply bring my faux pas to my attention and I will do all that I can to make the necessary corrections.  It’s late so get some rest and if it’s okay with you I’ll call you tomorrow and maybe we can set a date for dinner some time next week. I won’t crowd you this weekend. You need time to rest from your busy week.  I start back to work on Monday.  If you want to talk to me before then just call me.  I’m available to you whenever you need me.  That is one thing that I do plan to change between us.  Other than something at work, you are my priority.  Now I’m leaving. Get some rest.”

 

John knows not to try to kiss her, as would have been his custom to do.  He leaves and returns to his apartment, showers and goes to bed.

 

After John leaves Evangeline decides to delay any thoughts about her and John and instead showers and goes to bed. She doesn’t even bother to unpack.  Tomorrow is time enough to process and reprocess all that has happened in the last week between her and John.  At least now she knows there is a her and John whereas at the beginning of the week for all intents and purposes she and John were ‘kaput’.

 

 

A/N: Music playing in the background,

“Don’t Say You Love Me” by Fifth Harmony

 

Don't say you miss me when you don't call (when you don't call)
Don't say you're hurting without the scars
Don't promise me tonight without tomorrow too
Don't say you love me unless you do

 

Songwriters: Lisa Scinta / Nate Cyphert / Edvard Forre Erfjord / Ian Kirkpatrick / Henrik Barman Michelsen

Don't Say You Love Me lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd., BMG Rights Management












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.