Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


"I can't think about this right now, and you know that," stated Evangeline emphatically. She walked back and forth, at times pushing her fingers through her hair.

 

Even after finally arriving back in Washington, Evangeline found no peace of mind. Most conversations with her colleagues centered around how she spent her holiday. She responded as politely as possible, although seemed preoccupied.

 

"Are you alright?"


"Why?"

 

"You seemed distracted."


"Do I? I think the pile of work waiting at my desk has brought me back to earth."

 

""I know the feeling." She and Ellen shared a laugh. "It's great that we love our careers."

 

"Or we may be asking ourselves why every day at work." Another chuckle as the two walked along the corridor.

 

Of course, the real reason for her preoccupation was that mentally escaping thoughts of that kiss were impossible. Admittedly, she relished it very much, then recalling that this was the third time that Victor had placed her in this precarious position. The other two occasions appeared random, explained away by the heat of the moment, so many emotions and circumstances at play, but this time felt different.

 

She finally took a break, locking her office door, explaining to Tiffany that she would be unavailable for the next fifteen minutes. If she didn't speak with Victor now, it would drive her insane.

 

"It's like you are throwing a wrench into my plans. Turning what I need to accomplish upside down."

 

"Calm down, Evangeline. Calm down." He heard and felt her anger through the phone. "Please, take a moment to breathe."

 

She followed his advice, closing her eyes, taking a deep breath, and letting it out.

 

"Evangeline, it's not my intent to put you under any more pressure than you are experiencing."

 

"Oh, really," she responded incredulously. "Then explain it to me, Victor, because I can't make sense of what you did." She plopped down into her seat. "Do you want me to answer you right now?"

 

"Sweetheart, no. Of course not. I do understand what you must do and all the steps you need to take. Remember, I've been down this road before, but there will come a time when you will recover and want to start life anew. The notion of having someone being a part of your life again will come. Would you agree with me or not?"

 

She rolled over the image in her head. "Sure, I accept that."

 

"Then I'm just throwing my hat in the ring before anyone else. I want to be first in line. I want you to see me other than just your best friend."

 

"So when did that notion come to you?" she softly asked.

 

"I guess the moment you left. I felt alone."

 

So it was finally out in the open. Those emotions lay buried in the past, never being in the right place at the right time. Two broken hearts unable to connect. Evangeline fully embraced the role of being a best friend, confidant. Would she ever want her mind to go there again?

 

"Yes, I do have feelings for you. Have they always been there? I believe so, but everything and everyone kept getting in the way of exploring it. Yet, I can't and won't get into it right now. First, you need to heal, and that's most important. I never want to hurt you."

 

"So, you're giving me that time and space to think, heal?"

 

"Certainly, why wouldn't I? I may have come on strong, but whatever you need, I'll do. ...So are we alright?"

 

"Of course," she chuckled. "I can't stay mad at you for too long. You know I adore you as my best friend. I don't want anything or anyone to hurt you in any way."

 

"I feel the same about you."

 

"Does that mean that there can be more between us? I'm not sure. Yet when that chance comes along, I will carefully consider the possibility."

 

"It's all I'm asking."

 

"I need to go. You can't take to long a break for emotions at work. Take care, Victor."

 

"You too. When can I call you to catch up?"

 

"I'll call you, promise."

 

She set down the phone carefully on her desk and spent the next few minutes lost in thought. The innocence of their relationship was now forever altered. At the moment, it wasn't the right time to dwell on it. She had her mental health to take care of first, yet it scared her what may come next.

 

 

But as the weeks passed by, it became apparent that they were living separate lives, and quite fine in doing so. Evangeline was kept busy with the ongoing Marino trial, other cases coming her way while still carrying out her plan of emotional healing. Victor, on the other hand, concentrated on his custody case. He arranged a meeting with Jeffery Rupert, who took his case and proceeded to file the necessary paperwork. His digital business and followup meetings with Rupert almost placed his unfinished novel on the back burner. In the meantime, Evangeline rarely called, but Victor appreciated the times when she did so. Their conversations mainly focused on their experiences. Evangeline congratulated him on filing for custody while he followed the progression of the Marino case.

 

"You're good. You had that prosecution witness stumbling through his testimony."

 

"Didn't know you were watching boring court tv?"

 

"Only when you're the star of the show."

 

He kept his word by giving her the time and space needed. Fairly soon, Victor started sensing a change and took note of her upbeat attitude.

 

 

"Evangeline..."

 

"Hey, Ellen."

 

Ellen caught up with her just as she was about to enter the elevator.

 

"Today is the day, right?"

 

"Well, we're hoping that the jury has returned with a decision." The jury was out for three days now. "I'm off to interview a new client. I hate waiting around when jobs are beckoning."

 

"You're moving up in this firm. The publicity associated with this case has shined a spotlight on your capabilities. You've done such an amazing job, and everyone is impressed, especially the partners."

 

"You're making this black girl blush. Thanks for the compliment. I love that my hard work is paying off."

 

"Are we still on for that run once spring arrives?"

 

"In a couple of weeks, I'm there."

 

"Sidebar counselor." Evangeline obliged. "Have you heard from Robert lately?"

 

"Not really, and not that I care to," came Evangeline's flippant response. "Why?"

 

"He's been complaining that ever since you came back from your Christmas holiday, he has become persona non grata."

 

"He's a lawyer. He should be able to take rejection."

 

"Ouch, Evangeline. Love it."

 

"I don't get why he's making an issue about this. He asked me out for coffee once, and I accepted. It's not like we ended up canoodling after that. If he's complaining this much to other people after so many months have passed, then he's not the type of guy I would ever be interested in dating." She quickly glanced down at her watch. "Gotta run. I'll chat with you later."

 

 

One day Victor was working at his office. He needed a little time away from all the custody preparations. It appeared that when he was in the mood to write, the workspace inspired him more and more. Could it be the artist's rendition of Evangeline and Sam at Angel Park? It hung prominently on the wall. He smiled to himself, it was possible. Then another thought crept through.  

What if Evangeline didn't perceive their relationship beyond friendship. What would he do if she rejected the possibility? Could he stand in the background, watching as she moved on with her life with another man?

 

Suddenly the ringing of his office phone snapped him back to reality.

 

"Yeah, Tina."

 

"Mr. Lord, I have Blair on line two for you."

 

He sighed heavily. He wasn't in the mood for a confrontation over the phone.

 

While debating his next move, Tina chimed in. "She sounds normal as it can be for Blair Manning. Although, she's insistent on urgently speaking with you."

 

"Okay, put her through."

 

 

"Victor, we need to meet."

 

"I'm not sure that's such a good idea, Blair."

 

"Believe me; I want this situation resolved as quickly as possible. We can work this out."

 

"Through the courts," Victor rebutted.

 

"It doesn't have to be that way." Those words piqued his interest. "Victor, you will want to hear me out for Sam's sake."

 

"Time and place..."

 

 

An hour later

 

Walking into Vita's coffee shop brought back memories of his former life as Todd Manning. He recalled often stopping in and enjoying an espresso and glazed donut when time permitted. He speculated that perhaps Blair chose this location to put him at ease about their meeting. He gazed around and finally spotted her sitting at one of the corner tables, tapping her manicured fingers on a cup of coffee. The transitioning weather found her donning a blazer over a pink sweater with blue jeans while Victor dressed in a blue cotton sweater, denim jeans with brown suedes.

When he finally caught her eye, he was unsure how the conversation would go after taking a seat across from her. A waitress came up to the table, and he ordered an espresso. Vita's was busy as it always was, but the spacious seating arrangements allowed for intimate discussions.

 

"Blair, I'm here now, so let's get down to business."

 

"Its time for Sam to finally have a full-time relationship with his dad."

 

Her words astounded him. He blinked a couple of times. He had mentally prepared for a long, drawn-out battle with the Mannings praying that Sam wouldn't resent them all in the end. It couldn't be this easy, could it?

 

"What's the catch?"

 

"There is none," she replied, taking a small sip of her coffee.

 

"Really?"

 

"Really..."

 

As the conversation progressed, they discussed Sam's milestones, his development in school despite the deteriorating situation at home.

 

"You and Todd?"

 

"Divorcing... he's taken off somewhere." She took another sip of her coffee, then spun the cup clockwise.

 

Somewhere? Victor viewed that information as a warning. He needed to be on guard.

 

"Of course, Starr is pretty upset with me. I never gave the marriage a chance to work, but my heart was never into it, and we both know why."

 

She stared at him intently, but he shifted his eyes away, not wanting to get into it. He was relieved when the waitress returned with his order.

 

"Anything else, sir?"

"No, this is fine."

 

 

The coffee smelled just like he remembered, and the taste - perfect.

 

"By the way, I know that Jack has been hanging out with you."

 

"I'm surprised you didn't get angry about it."

 

"When I seriously thought about it, I understood his attachment to you. Todd went ballistic, and he threatened to confront you, but I told him that any action against you would isolate Jack even further. He begrudgingly agreed after smashing a hole in the wall, almost fracturing his hand. He felt like he was in an unattainable situation, the arguments escalated from there."

 

Victor felt awkward. Her resigned tone filled with traces of sadness. He wanted to sympathize with Blair but wasn't sure that he should, knowing that any kind gesture may give her the wrong impression.

 

"I don't know what to say. Despite our differences, I do want you to see you happy, Blair..."

 

"I'm just so confused, Victor. You can't just throw away eight years of having a strong connection with someone."

 

Victor took a long sip of his coffee, then eased back into his seat.

 

"I'm sorry if you don't want to hear all of this."

 

"Blair, you've got to understand that I'm not Todd Manning. There are certain people, places, and things that give me reminders, but I've moved on. I've worked hard on developing an identity that is mine alone. We had our share of great times, but those memories did not belong to you and I. It belonged to you and someone else."

 

Those last words stung her deeply. A couple of tears streamed down her face, and she hastily wiped them away.

 

Victor stood up, then pulled a twenty from his wallet, placing it on the table.

 

"I need to go. My lawyer will get in contact with your lawyer to resolve any issues, paperwork, and things like that." She merely nodded her head. "We may still need to do a court appearance, but my lawyer can confirm that." He leaned forward and kissed her forehead. "Thanks for doing what's best for Sam. Take care, Blair."

 

She briefly grasped his hand, and he didn't pull it away. "You too."

 

She regarded every step he took towards the exit. It was better to have loved.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.