Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Summary: Spock had a private session with the Ambassador, and he is willing to help the Enterprise find it's way out of the void.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Jim Kirk is using his debonair charms on Miranda to keep her distracted, he is looking at her and feels attracted to her than before. He starts to wonder if there could be more, he wants to know how deep is the relationship with Kollos and ask prying questions:

"A meeting of minds is all very well, but what about love, Miranda? You're young, attractive and human. Sooner or later, no matter how beautiful their minds are, you're going to yearn for someone who looks like yourself, someone who isn't ugly."

As Kirk lifts one of her hands to hold, attempting to draw a connection to her.

Miranda is drawn back by Kirk's description of love and beauty, in fact, insulted that she snaps back at him.

"Ugly!"

"What is ugly?"

"Who is to say whether Kollo is too ugly to bear or too beautiful to bear?"

Miranda is hurt by his statement, Kollos is the most beautiful thing to have encountered, almost sexy in her opinion. Just being with him, gives her comfort, desire and even when they argue it stimulates her.

She turns away from Kirk, he left a foul taste in her mouth and walks away.

Kirk realizes his mistake takes another approach to draw her attention and follows her.

"Miranda, I meant no insult. Please."

Kirk was able to catch and redirect her attention back to him, smiling down at her. Kirk tries again his romantic charms:

"Here are among the roses. A very romantic setting. I wish there were moonlight, too."

Kirk looks into her blue eyes and sees how they sparkle in the light, holds her shoulder as if to steady her position. He found it inviting and makes his move to draw her in with his deep low voice.

"Moonlight would suit you very well."

Kirk bends his head toward Miranda, she quickly senses his intent and quickly backs off.

"I see you're a very complicated man."

Miranda wanted to tell him more but was intercepted by waves of conversations. Kollos and Spock are conversing. She managed to get a glimpse of them.

"Kollos, no."

"It is done Miranda, it needs to be done, Spock and I have come up with a plan."

Kirk holds on to Miranda as she struggles for release, she jerks her head towards him.

"Let me go. You have no idea what a dangerous thing Spock is planning."

Miranda jerks her arms from Kirk's hold.

"We must stop him!

Let me go!"

Miranda turns and leaves the conservatory, Kirk following her. He hopes Spock was able to talk and convince the Ambassador to help the ship. She was frantically running, Kirk had to chase Miranda to keep up with her, they reach the turbolift at the same time and rode it to Kollos' deck. Kirk contacts sickbay and informed McCoy to intercept them at the Ambassador's quarters.

"How could they, he wouldn't turn against me, please Kollos no, don't betray me in front of them. Please give me a chance.": Miranda thought to herself, she starts to wringing her hands together. She knows what is happening, she was not ready for the outcome.

The turbo doors open and Miranda and Kirk proceed down the corridor and at the opposite end, they see McCoy walking to the same door. Miranda was about to open when Spock comes out, he takes off his visor and looks at her sternly.

"The Enterprise is at stake. It is not possible for you to be involved."

"Why? I've already committed myself to mind-link when Kollos and I reach the Medusan vessel. Why put yourself in jeopardy?" Miranda is still afraid that Kollos will choose Spock over her, he has the ability to steer the ship.

"This is not a duty that you can assume. I am aware of the fact that your telepathic competence might be superior to mine, but there's a more important factor. The object is to pilot this ship. That is something you cannot do." Injected Spock with a stern voice.

"Then teach me to operate the ship. I can memorize instantly!": Miranda says desperately.

McCoy has been standing by listening to the conversation, and he already speculated Miranda's condition. He realizes that the jealously issue with Spock is overdone.

"Now wait a minute. I realize that you can do almost anything a sighted person can do, but you can't pilot a starship!"

Miranda is stunned that McCoy called her out, Spock and Kirk are also surprised, they first glanced at McCoy and then back to Miranda. The reaction was one of disbelief, Kirk looks at Miranda:

"What?"

Spock raises his hand in front of her face and watches her eyes, they did not flinch, but her body reacted instead.

"Fascinating"

McCoy continues to explain her condition: "I'm sorry Miranda, but you must be realistic. You are blind, and there are some things you simply cannot do."

Miranda stood there in shame, embarrassed, and angry. She thought she could fool them all, she thought she could play it off, be normal. That's all she ever wanted in life, to be normal, and accepted. The only advantage she had was her telepathic abilities.

Spock waves his hand over her dress, barely touching her. Again he was shocked for a Vulcan.

"Evidently a highly sophisticated sensor web. My compliments to you, and your dressmaker."

Kirk is amazed at the turn of events and looks at Miranda.

"Yes, of course. It's the only reasonable explanation. You can't see and Kollos can't hurt you."

Spock is still puzzled by Miranda's behavior towards him, but he doesn't recognize her blindness as a fault.

"An elegant solution. But I fail to understand why you apparently try to conceal your blindness, Doctor Jones."

Kirk replied:" I think I understand. You said it. Pity is the worst of all."

With a strong tone, Miranda responded to him and defended herself: "PITY! Which I hate. Do you think you can gather more information with your eyes than I can with my sensors? I could play tennis with you, Captain Kirk. I might even beat you. I am standing exactly one meter, four centimeters from the door. Can you judge distance that accurately? I can tell you how fast your heart is beating."

Kirk, Spock, and McCoy look at Miranda as she tries to defend herself. She sounded desperate. She wants them to believe she is capable of navigating the Enterprise. Kirk gave a sympathetic answer.

"No, that won't be necessary. Mr. Spock will make the mind-link. No other decision is possible."

"No. I won't let you.": snaps Miranda.

"Please. Do not fight us like this, Doctor Jones. I appeal to you as a colleague. Do not oppose us.": Injects McCoy.

"No": snaps Miranda.

Kirk looks at Miranda and states to her again: "If we can't persuade you, there is someone who can. You'll have to take this up with Kollos. For your own sake."

There was silence for a brief moment. Miranda knows she has to convince Kollos that she is capable of handling the situation. Her telepathic mind is stronger than Spock's and she can handle Kollos as well. She walks into his quarters, without a visor, and the men watched as the door closed behind her.

Kirk approaches the doctor:" Bones, why hadn't you told me?"

"She would have told you herself if she had wanted you to know. I respected her privacy."

"Yes, there's a great deal to respect about that lady." Kirk knowing the truth about her and the fact she didn't have to worry about appearing in front of the Medusan.

Meanwhile inside a great battle is going on:

Miranda opens her mind and approach Kollos and his lid opens and the green presence fills the room.

"Why can't I navigate this ship!"

"It is impossible for you to do so, Mr. Spock has the experience."

"I'm better than him, my mind right now, can persuade his thoughts!"

"NO, do not interfere."

"It is my right!":Miranda says sternly.

"YOU DARE CHALLENGE ME!

YOU DARE COMPARE YOURSELF TO ME!

YOU DARE THINK YOURSELF AS A MEDUSAN!

YOU DARE THINK YOURSELF AS A VULCAN!

YOU THINK TO HIGHLY OF YOURSELF MIRANDA!

Even now you press your thoughts against ME? AGAINST ME!" :Kollos explains sternly.

"I CAN DO ANYTHING BETTER THAN THEM, I KNOW I CAN!

HOW CAN I CONVINCE YOU

WHAT MUST I DO?

I HAVE DONE.... EVERYTHING... EV-ERY-THING

I SACRIFICED MY LIFE FOR YOU!

JUST FOR YOU KOLLOS!" Miranda practically shouting in their meld.

AT WHAT COST MIRANDA!

LOOK AT THE COST!

THIS SHIP IS LOST IN A CONTINUUM VOID BECAUSE OF YOU-YOU!

SEEK THEIR THOUGHTS OF THEIR DISPAIR

DO YOU SEE IT?

DO YOU FEEL THEM?

THEY ARE LOST IN THIS SPACE MIRANDA

THEY BLAME US, NO THEY BLAME ME.

Kollos calms down.

"I will mind-link with the Vulcan, you will behave and serve as the PR that you were trained to be. You will support them.

"NO!" shouts Miranda.

Kollos' mind came down on Miranda's and applied pressure to her that she submitted in pain and defeat, that she let out a piercing scream.

"You will obey and respect the Vulcan, this ends now Miranda, do not interfere." Kollos returns to his case and closes the lid.

Miranda stood up, straighten up her dress, she felt defeated and hurt from Kollos. She loved him, she wanted to be his everything:

his body,

ears,

mouth,

but mostly his heart.

She turned and left the room and met her defeat. Kirk, Spock, and McCoy heard Miranda scream. They turned towards the door, a moment later Miranda came out solemn.

"It seems I have no choice but to obey you."

Kirk looked at her, he didn't want to do it, but he had no choice. He had to save his ship and crew. They left to prepare to make arrangements for Kollos to be on the bridge.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.