Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Yeoldul

(twelve) 





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Sweat beaded up on pearl skin and moans once soft now drifted past the doors into the hallway. A pair of brown feet stood by said door as she listened to the grievous sounds, heart twisting painfully in her chest. Months had passed. Since the festival. Since the rage of the Wangja and her humiliation. Over the course of those months, Wang Cheol Su had turned eighteen summers. He’d seemingly let the rebellious phase of his younger years go and his reputation was now widely known in and out of the Palace. A man who cared for his People. Would not hesitate to shed blood for his People.

    The sounds from the woman increased in pitch and tempo before they grew silent. And it was at that moment that she pulled herself away from the door, throat so tight it hurt. Much had changed since they’d returned. Dignitaries from Song had come and gone, the alliance between the two Kingdoms solid. All that remained was the coronation. Set to take place the following year, moves were put in motion and much planning had begun to take place. 

    It had been months since anyone had seen him. Her. Together. The glimpses she had caught of him were with Jae Hwa and she tried not to interfere much. His consort forced her away…demanding that other female servants attend to him should the need arise. She couldn’t protest, complain or dare challenge the orders. Instead, she found herself crammed into the kitchen or spending time in the harem with the other women who she’d come to know fondly. They had taken her in their care if you will and in the time that had passed, she had learned things about the art of femininity and her body that she hadn’t before. Korean femininity and that of her people were different and yet parts remained remarkably the same.

 

***

 

 

    “You’ve got it right.” 

    “Like this?”

    “Yep.” Holding a multicolored fan, she mimicked the movement of one of the gisaeng. 

    “Good Tiye. The way you dance… it’s mesmerizing.” 

    “Is it?”

    “Yeah. You move differently. Like you hold water in your hips.” At that, she bust out laughing and covered her face with the fan. 

    “Hips that hold water hm?”

    “If I moved like you, perhaps I could own my own brothel. Or own a small farm in my hometown.” One of the other gisaeng commented, watching as she swayed back and forth. She grinned, closing the fan and handing it to Hae. 

    “How many of you are set to start your cycles?” The one known as Jae-Ri asked, lips pursed. A few raised their hands. 

    “Make sure you mark it down! Let us pray that you’ve cleaned their male fluids from you thoroughly.” Hae pouted, wrapping an arm around her. 

    “I don’t know about you but I’m about to eat a horse.” 

    “I second that.” She said with a laugh, her stomach growling in agreeance. 

    “You want to see if Myung-hee has spared any scraps?”

    “I’m not eating after her. She’s a pig!” Sun-Mi replied, nose scrunched in disgust.

    “It’s a wonder that she hasn’t been arrested or taken to the lash yet.” Hae snorted, linking arms with her. 

    “Myung-hee has been with this family for years. They’re not gonna get anybody else that they trust to cook their meals. She’s as good as it gets around here. Even with her swiping food.” As they were about to head out, some came through the door having just got back from excursions and work related activities. They took off their jeoduris, collapsed on their pallets, some even squat over a bronze pan and flushed water up into their insides to clean themselves. 

    “Bring us back something good hm?” They had stepped out and were coming down the small set of steps when a servant came bum rushing them, nearly knocking her over. 

    “Help me…please.” Her face had been beaten savagely and tears fell down swollen cheeks. 

    “Dear gods…” Hae whispered, reaching for the woman. 

    “Who has done this to you?” She asked, attempting to take her hand but when she recoiled sharply, she withdrew her hand jaw tight. 

    “It is because of you that I have been brutalized.” 

    “What?”

    “And it is because of you that they fight.” At that, she lost all the color in her face she would have. She grabbed the woman by the shoulders. 

    “Where?”

    “West Gate.” Swallowing tightly, she gave the woman a hug, in askance for forgiveness and perhaps understanding. Taking off, she dodged people here and there on her way. 

    “Tiye!” She heard Hae shout behind her but she kept going. Feeling panic rise up in her chest, she turned west and as she got closer, she felt the panic increase. Up ahead, she saw Dong-il still tied to his post. It appeared that Wangja-nim was about to go for a ride and was interrupted by Seo Jun wangja-nim. They had swords drawn. 

    “You think fucking Jae Hwa will erase her from your mind?” Seo Jun. 

    “Mind your fucking business.” Seo Jun smirked. 

    “You should’ve taken her that night while she bathed. If you had, you wouldn’t be tormented little brother.”

    “You don’t care what torments me Hyung-nim. You and I both know that.” Eyes took in the two brothers, Wangtaejabi-nim, Wangbi-nim and Jae-Hwa not too far away. All of whom looked frightfully concerned. They charged for each other and their swords created a harsh clash, metal scraping metal. 

    “You can’t interfere with this.” Eyes found Hae next to her and she gripped her hand tightly. 

    “I know you wish to. But it is not your place.”

    “Am I to let him be killed?” She asked quietly as the brothers fought, Wangja-nim narrowly escaping a rough kick to the face. 

    “We are cheonmin Tiye. We have no place but that which is given to us.” Leaning to the side, she pressed her lips against her temple. 

    “Should you stay still…he shall give you your rightful one.” Blinking in confusion, so many questions bled into her features but at the sound of pain, her eyes dart back to the scene before hand. Seo Jun had been struck, a deep gash across his face. 

    “You little shit!”

    “You believe that you are exempt from any form of punishment no matter what you do. It’s arrogant. It’s disgusting.” Wangja-nim growled, pressing the tip of the blade under his chin. Blood had started to seep down into his jeogori but his eyes burned with intense hatred. 

    “You are the one to render that punishment little brother? The boy who can’t even decide which is more important to him…a cheonmin whore or his future wife? You lurk in the shadows lusting after a woman you’ll never have the balls to take.” His grip on his sword tightened but move he did not, forcing his head back further, the column of his throat fully exposed. Seo Jun laughed some, adam’s apple bobbing. 

    “I could do it right now. Slit your throat and leave you to die in this very courtyard.” At that, their mother started for them. 

    “Cheol-Su-ah….don’t do this. Please.” A dark wave of fury spread across his features and it gave her chills.

    “Come my boy. Let us calm down now hm?” Their mother cajoled, reaching for his arm, the one that pressed the blade against her other son’s jugular. Drawing back his sword, he allowed his eldest brother to stand. His normally kept hair had started to come a loose, wet slick strands framing his face. 

    “The power you covet comes for a price Hyung-nim. The pathway to becoming a King is not simply won by brutality and blood. The pathway to becoming King must start within the self.”

    “What the fuck are you talking about you sack of horse shit!” He sneered, trying for him again. Their mother screamed and was shoved out of the way. He ducked and to all those who watched, surprise drifted up as the youngest knelt low, knocking Seo Jun to the ground. The sword loudly clattered upon the dirt and he grabbed his arm and pulled it back, forcing him to lie on his stomach. 

    “You take, pillage, rape and abuse. You’re a savage beast who has no self control or conviction. So simple minded you think that the measure of manhood is by how many women you fuck or raise a hand to. You’re not worthy to be King of Goryeo. You’re not worth anything at all.” Leaning down, he spoke roughly against his ear. 

    “By the Gods above, if it were not for our mother and our grandmother’s memory, I would wring the breath from your very lungs. Brother or no brother. Blood or no blood you would be cut down. Spend time in the temples thanking her spirit for their mercy.” Letting go of him, he stood and sheathed his sword. Glancing up at the faces of his mother, sister and consort, he took a rough inhale and soon joined them. 

    When it was all said and done, the crowd dispersed and Seo Jun remained lying on the ground, face buried in the dirt. Ego too wounded to face anyone. Lifting her eyes, there she found the King standing not too far away from the scene and for the briefest moment, their eyes met. Feeling her heart race, she immediately dropped her gaze and Hae drew her away. 

 

 

 

*** 

 

    It was chaos. Complete and utter chaos. Stray dogs, chicken and other livestock roamed the streets, trailing under their feet a combination of their own waste and that of the inhabitants. The smell was nauseating and the grime and dirt that covered the passing human bodies infuriated him. Babies cried while others nursed openly from mothers who stood by horses, houses and husbands, breasts unashamedly bared. Pulling his rough straw hat further down to cover his face, he began to enter into the melee. 

    “That damned King sits on his Throne while the rest of us suffer down here! It’s bullshit!” 

    “His sons aren’t any damn better! The eldest boy I hear has fathered three secret children and has had them all put to death.”

    “And the youngest boy?”

    “Still sucking his mother’s titty they say. Hasn’t weaned from the milk nor have his balls dropped.” The pair of men laughed, one shaking his head. 

    “We’re better off without them. They don’t give a shit about any of us down here. Not while they sit on their golden thrones and eat six times a day.” Throat tight, he watched as they went on about their business. Nausea twisted his stomach but he forced himself to stand still and observe the daily lives the people… HIS people endured. Jaw clenched he began to move with a small crowd of people, careful not to walk too close to any of them. It broke his heart to see innocent men, women and children in such deplorable conditions. They were completely uninhabitable. 

    Entering into a local tavern, he sat down, the rough burlap of his hanbok rubbing against his skin irritably. He’d never worn anything so rough and unrefined but it was all for a reason. If he were to be King to these people, he needed to understand just where they came from. He needed to experience what they did. Hearing a small commotion behind him, he lifted the small glass of soju that was given to him by the barmaid. It was interesting the rumors that circled around. Some of them brought a smirk to him. Others unsettled him as he listened to the obnoxiously loud chatter that increased in decibels the more soju that flowed. One, however, caught his attention. It was two men and two women. He could ascertain that they were prostitutes, comfortably seated on the men’s laps, jeogori open to expose their breasts. The men looked rough around the edges, dirt clumped in messy topknots. 

    “Have you heard?”

    “Heard what?” 

    “They say that the youngest neglects his future wife.” He smirked against the cup. Neglect wasn’t the right word. 

    “Wait, the feminine son of a bitch? The one who puts on women’s clothes?”

    “I don’t believe that shit. Not for a minute.” 

    “Mm.”

    “What do they say?”

    “They say that a little black bitch stays up under the whiny boy of a prince.”

    “Black? Like how?”

    “I hear her skin is really dark like jajangmyeon.”

    “Ah, so he has a non-Korean as a servant?”

    “So I’ve heard.”

    “Is she pretty?”

    “I wouldn’t know. I’ve never seen her.”

    “Well then she ain’t shit either.”  

    “I hear that his consort is the prettiest girl in the land and is envied by all the women in court.”

    “I’d take a Korean to a girl who has skin the color of jajangmyeon any day.”

    “You got that right.”

    “Enough talking already. I’m ready to get shit faced and fuck these titties. Let’s get on with it.” One of the women giggled loudly as said man shook his face against her chest. Lifting his cup to his mouth, he watched as they ordered another round of rice wine. Reaching into his pocket, he placed a few coins on the table top and stepped out of the dark stinking place. The way they talked was interesting indeed. Some of it humored him. Some of it irritated him. But all of it was important. At the end of the day, the underlining message was clear. The people wanted abundant land to farm, food to fill their bellies and a peaceful country. With rulers that were just and encouraged equality. 

    Pulling his hat down to cover his eyes, he walked further into the filth of the cheonmin sector, fists tight. He was set to ascend to the Throne in a year and it had been time to focus. Get his priorities straight. Get his vision clear. That’s why…why he’d distanced himself completely from her. He knew it hurt her, knowing that he willingly chose to separate himself. Truth be told, it hurt him just as much… perhaps more. But… all of it would be worth it in the end. She didn’t know what he had in the works. When she did, she would understand. 

    Licking dry lips, he lifted his eyes and glanced up out of the numerous loosely woven holes of his hat. The sun was hot today and it would prove to be a muggy night. Jae-Hwa was work and oftentimes, it exhausted him to even be around her. She required entirely too much. Too much attention. Too much affection. Begrudging physical activity. The thought of it made his stomach curl up. Every single time he laid there, sick of hearing her beg him and whine, fingers clawing the furs beneath him. He didn’t object to her being on top simply because he didn’t have the energy to put in any effort. When he could stand it, he watched her go through the motions of pleasure and closed his eyes when he couldn’t take it anymore.

    Losing himself amidst the crowd of people, hollering babies and the smell of sweaty must, he sighed to himself. She’d hug him close afterwards, hair sprawled out to cover his skin in a silky black curtain, breath slowly returning to normal. And yet, even still, her desire for closeness… her need for intimacy was not met. He never hugged her back, never even touched her in the first place. All the while resisting the urge to throw her off of him and send her out. He’d have what he wanted. He’d have who he wanted. All he had to do was be patient and trust the process. Even if he had to suffer in the meantime.

 

 

*** 

 

    Coming from the steamy innards of the kitchen, she lifted to wipe her forehead with a sigh. Sliding open the door to the servant’s chambers, she quietly stepped inside. For the most part, it was empty save a few girls who had time of leisure. They rested on their mats, jeogori covering their faces. All except one. She sat on her mat which happened to be by hers. At her arrival, the girl looked up and quickly resumed whatever she was doing. 

    “Cheol Su Wangja-nim came by here not too long ago looking for you.” Her heart began to beat faster.

    “Did he?”

    “Mm. He left you a small parcel. I put it on your mat.” Blinking, she knelt down and picked up the small package. Wrapped in a pretty golden silk fabric, it was neat and ornate. Feeling her cheeks warm, she unwrapped it aware and uncaring of the girl’s prying eyes. A small letter fell out along with three pretty embroidered pouches of gold, pink and purple silk, stitched in a floral pattern. Plucking the letter, she eagerly soaked up the words. 

 

 

오 문, ’이 올라가

멀리 “게 빛납니다.

당신은 시장— 있습니까?

아, –은 …— 밟지 마십시오.

모“ 것이 무—이“ 그대로 ‘십시오.

아, –‘이 그…를 ””하지 않을 수 있습니다.

 

    O moon, rise high, 

    And shine far and wide. 

    Are you at the marketplace? 

    Ah, may you not step onto wet ground. 

    Leave everything, whatever it is. 

    Ah, may darkness not overtake her. 

 

 

    나의 ‘은 ‘은 하나, 나” 오늘, 당신의 탄생의 날을 위해 신“—게 감사합니다. — —덟 —름 지금 당신은 내 축복을 받았습니다. 나” 당신이 의도적으로 당신과 거리를‘고 나—게 분…해야한다” 것을 알고 있습니다. 내가 왕철수—, 당신을 —전히 내 마음— 크게 존‘합니다.

우리가 송—서 고려로 돌아 오기 전— 내가 한 말을 기–하십니까? 나” 내 왕국—서 많은 기능을 수– 할 것이라고 말–습니다. 첫 번째로 가장 ‘”한 것을 공개하겠습니다. 

친구. 

    —기 내가 당신—게 큰 기쁨을 가져다 줄 것…니다 생각합니다. 그“이 당신을 ‘으로 생각 나게 할 것…니다. 자존심이 ‘은 것을 착용하십시오. 그“이 당신의 아름다움을 –상시키고 강”시키기를 ”랍니다.

 

    My sweet eolin-i, I thank the gods for this day, the day of your birth. Eighteen summers you are now and my have they been blessed. I know you must be furious with me for my intentional distancing from you. Know that I, Wang Cheol-Su, still hold you in great and high regard in my mind. 

    Do you remember what I told you before we came back to Goryeo from Song? I told you that in my Kingdom, you would serve many functions. Let me reveal the first and most important one. Friend. 

    Here is something I think will bring you great delight. I’m sure they remind you of home. Wear them with pride eolin-i. May they only enhance and intensify your beauty. 

 

        왕자님 (Wangja-nim)

 

 

    Feeling her eyes well up with tears, she reached for the golden pouch. Beautiful gold beads spilled out into her hand. They glittered like sunlight on glass and took her breath away. They were gorgeous. Opening the other two, copper and bronze peeked out. 

    “What did he gift you?”

    “Nothing that concerns you.” She shot back at the nosey girl and put the pouches and letter in one of her pockets. Sniffing, she cleared her throat and bit her lip in a smile. He hadn’t forgotten. She took a deep breath before getting back up. She had to find him today. Stepping into the sunlight, she scanned the horizon, at all the servants, scholars, priests and court attendants scurrying to and fro. Humming with activity, they seemed oblivious to the bittersweet joy she felt in her heart. 

    Heading towards his chambers, she felt butterflies flutter in her stomach as laughter from within drifted up from the doors.Voices chatted eagerly and she could only catch bits and pieces of it. After a while, she wasn’t sure how long she’d been outside but her pride begged her to leave, begged her to show some self respect. Fidgeting, she for the millionth time tried to convince herself not to forget it and scurry away. Finally giving in, she withdrew, heading towards the harem. She wouldn’t stay too long, knowing that at any moment men could come in and desire to have their way with any one of them. Her mat in the servant’s quarters were her safety… for now at least. 

 

*** 

 

    Dusk set the setting sun ablaze and it bled all throughout the sky, the beauty of its death enchanting. He leaned back against the wall facing the harem, arms crossed as he continued to listen to the conversation. He missed her voice. Her laughter. He smiled to himself as he listened to them talk. Frankly, at any moment, he could have walked in and interrupted them. But, he decided not to. It pleased him greatly to see her have friends, female friends. Lifting his eyebrow, his smile turned into a smirk. What oh what were they talking about in there? Whatever it was, Tiye’s voice was loud and embarrassed and she tried to deny whatever they had accused her of. Her voice grew closer to the door. 

    Before he could hear anything else, the door opened and she began to step out, only to be surprised by his presence. Her eyes were wide and a charming little blush adorned her cheeks. 

    “W-Wangja-nim…what are you doing here?” A slew of sarcastic responses shot through his mind but he chose the appropriate one. The honest one. 

    “I wanted to talk. For a moment. Would that be okay?” She cleared her throat and at giggling, turned behind to see two or three heads poked out of the door. She hissed with her teeth and the girls slammed the door, giggling loud and obnoxious. Joining him as they began to travel away from the harem, she let her arms fall behind her back, hands clasped. 

    “Did you receive my present?” He asked as they walked along the quiet yet expansive path, moon full and beautiful. 

    “I did.”

    “Did it please you?” Stopping, she turned to face him. The quiet lap of the water hit against the rocks. 

    “Yes. It did.” Smiling softly, he cleared his throat as she entered into the pathway towards the secret garden, led seemingly by the moon’s light. He followed a little ways behind, watching as she came to stand by one of the pillars, deep dark red even in the night. Leaning her head against it, she spoke quieter this time. 

    “Does she know you’re here with me?” At that, his throat grew tight. His silence urged her to continue. 

    “I understand. Your obligatory duties to your country must not be forgotten.” He drew nearer and his once tight throat finally loosened up.

    “I apologize for my distance. I will not apologize for our being here. My wanting to see you.”  Sliding hands up across her shoulders, he pressed his face against her hair. 

    “I’ve missed you…eolin-i.” He whispered, his fingers gripping her a bit tighter. She inhaled shakily but move she did not as his hands left her shoulders to be replaced by his arms. 

    “Today you are eighteen summers. Have you made a wish?” 

    “What wish is there to make?”

    “Whatever your heart desires.” Lifting her fingers, she breezed them across his forearms. 

    “If it is to stay with you? Would it be granted?” His heavy sigh as a response she grew stiff. He opened his eyes, staring out across the water bathed in silver. 

    “For you, tonight it will be.” Pulling away from him, she wrapped arms around herself. 

    “Wangja-nim…I do not wish to cause you trouble.”

    “You were there long before she ever was. And you shall remain.” At that, her eyes lifted and they were suddenly filled with tears. 

    “How can I be at peace knowing I am the cause of the future Queen’s enmity? I can’t do that to you.” 

    “Tiye,”

    “No. Our distance is necessary. For now.” He watched as she went to the ledge, back turned to him.

    “I saw you in the courtyard that day. You and Seo-Jun wangja-nim.” Tightening his jaw, he came to stand next to her, opening his hand. She bit her lips, eyes never leaving the shimmering waters. Her fingers inched closer to his and soon they gripped together. 

    “What was it you two were talking about?” He didn’t answer, only tightened his grip on her hand. 

    “It was about me. Wasn’t it?”

    “…Yes.”

    “Wangja-nim,”

    “He’s lucky that I was stopped. If I hadn’t been…. I would have cut him open.” She withdrew her hand.

    “Don’t allow him to change you Wangja-nim. He’s not worth it. Not worth your hardened heart. You’ll be no different than those brutes in Song. You’ll be no different than him.” 

    “I cannot…I cannot allow him to get away with it.” 

    “Away with what?” 

    “What he did to you.” Her breath hitched in her throat. 

    “H-how…”

    “Does it matter how I know?” He asked quietly, eyes burning a hole into her. 

    “The desire to spill his blood. I see it in your eyes.”

    “He will pay for putting his hands on you. And any other part of him.” Chills shot up and down her spine, his hiss low and vehement. She couldn’t speak… didn’t know what to say…how to say it. Heart thumping wildly in her chest, the only thing she could do was turn and look at him. She lifted her hands, placing them on his chest instead, on his heart. Words that should have been said, wanted to be said were not, eaten up by the water which now crashed against the bottom of the pavilion.

    “Wangja-nim…”

    “Yes?” He replied, voice low and soft. 

    “Should you wonder why it is that I lied to you… it was to protect you.” She lifted her gaze to his, wavering with a myriad of emotions.  He took her face in his hands. 

    “Your desire to protect me Tiye…it is far too precious. But it is I that wishes to protect you.” She smiled softly and for the first time ever, pressed her cheek against his palm, openly accepting the touch.

    “On this path that you desire promise me that you won’t forget my sacrifice.” Taking her lip in between her teeth she pulled away from his arms.

    “Before you become King, remember that you are still at the mercy of the current one. As you’ve told me in the past…take heed. For your sake and for mine.”  She began to head back up the path to the harem, bathed in silver and fragrant blossoms. Soon, however, she felt his hand grab hers and hold on tight as he joined her, their walk encased in silence. 






Chapter End Notes:

A/N: CAN YOU FEEEELLLL THE LOVEEE TONIGHTTTTTTTT? Y'all... I think it's safe to say y'all know what's coming lol. Their love for one another is so dang on beautiful. It's special and most definitely transcends space and time don't you think? hehe. There has been a bit of  time skip. Two or three months time skip. Our prince and princess out here just growed up and stuff. By American standards they grown but I'd like to remind you that back in those times, I'm sure by the time you were 18, you were probably getting...old? The age of death was really stinkin young like thirties and fourties and even then by that age you were probably considered ancient lol. 

 

OH! Another thing! Let me reiterate. I AM NOT FLUENT IN KOREAN! I ain't gon front with y'all. I got this offa Google LOL. The poem is a real Goryeo era song called Song of Jeongup. I'll borrow from more. Posting the link below to give credit:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2009/06/246_23684.html 

 

Okay that's all for now. (HOPEFULLY) See you next week! Love y'all! 

D&L

 

Our prince out and about:

The cute lil bags Tiye's beads were in:

Her hair at this time (beads included as she'll wear them later): 

The two Wangja of Goryeo fightin:

The way(s) Cheol-su looked at his baby this chapter y'all... and yes now the hair actually is that length (whew):

If ya man ain't lookin at you like THIS somethin wrong LOL.

And other expressions he had this chapter:

'kay bye!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.