Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Seoreunilgop 

 thirty-seven

 

 

 

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Days. It had been days. They had taken turns keeping watch but by the end fatigue always won. After three days, Seo Jun had refused to go another minute standing guard and complained about his wounded calvary. He awakened the fourth morning to find him gone. His jaw tight as he lifted from the makeshift pallet of court seats and climbed the stairs. Eying the empty throne, he turned to face the entirety of the room. As exhausted as he was, he would not surrender.

    Sitting down, he placed the long sword against his chest and sat still, eyes trained on the entry ways. A bitter taste rose in his mouth and he swallowed it down. Seo Jun would tuck tail and run. He hadn’t expected much out of him to begin with. It was a wonder he lasted as long as he did. The thought almost made him laugh. He coveted the throne so much but he couldn’t even do something as simple as protect it? Bastard. 

    Sighing, he cleared his throat and sat up straighter. God he was so tired. His body begged him to rest…Still fresh from sleep, he blinked his eyes furiously, struggling not to let them droop. They had started to close anyway when his ears picked up a faint bang. Faint. Quiet. He heard it again, this time much louder. The sound jolted him awake and his eyes grew alert. The sound of jing cut through the silence of the morning. Nabal and nagak pierced the air. Daechwita. That meant…The sounds married together so beautifully and yet even in the midst there was an overwhelming sorrow. The sound of feet marching seemed to close in on all four sides of him. He moved not as the instruments stopped. The army was sure to have arrows ready and soldiers with sword in hand… not sure like he of the danger on the other side. 

    He began to get up when the doors were pushed open. He immediately paused as the troops rushed in. They knelt, aiming at him. 

    “Pyeha!” 

     “Who dwells inside?” He heard the voice of his father inquire. 

    “The Crown Prince stands guard over the throne pyeha!” His heart beat so fast inside of his chest he thought that it was sure to come out. He lowered the sword and laid it on the ground, lifting eyes to see those belonging to his father widen on him. 

    “Cheol-su?” Tightening his jaw, he fell to the ground in a bow. 

    “Disarm!” At once the soldiers did and the King passed them all, drawing closer and closer to him until all he could see were his black boots.

    “How long have you been here?” 

    “Three nights and four mornings.”

    “Your brother?”

    “He was here with me. However, it proved too much for him and he left this morning.” He didn’t need to see his father’s face to know that disgust proved heavy on his face. 

    “I see.” 

    “Where are the Mongols?”

    “Word reached me that they have withdrawn their forces completely from Goryeo. It seems as though they have reached a bitter concession.” 

    “They aren’t ones to admit defeat.” He answered, mouth firm. The Mongolian people were persistent by nature. It hadn’t been the first time they’d tried to invade their lands. Kings from before his time had also dealt with the same battle. 

    “I am aware. However, I will take advantage of the situation.” 

    “Of course.” 

    “Stand up my son.” Without hesitation he did. Looking once more into his eyes, his father seemed hesitant…what appeared to be guilt living on his face. He hadn’t intended on returning to the throne so soon. Like a coward, he had run away from his country and its people. He had put his own life above all else. Swallowing the truth down, he took hold of his shoulder. 

    “I’m sure you can understand why I did what I did. I am old and my time as ruler of this land grows shorter each day. What good would I be to die before I see you wed and produce children?” He didn’t say a word, only lowering his eyes. 

    “You are the only one that I can continue to trust.” Giving him a clap on the back, he pushed past him and started up the steps. Turning, he sat on the seat empty for days. 

    “Baek-jin!” 

    “Yes, pyeha!” One of his attendants came rushing up with a frantic bow.

    “Send for the Queen and the Princess.”

    “At once pyeha.” 

    “Cheol-su.”

    “Yes Father.” Kneeling, he pressed his face against the floor in a bow. 

    “You’ve done very well. Now, it’s time to rest.” 

    “I cannot leave the dead unburied or the injured untreated.” He countered, his gaze leaving no room for argument. To his surprise, his father offered none. He simply clenched his jaw and gave a nod of consent. 

    “Very well then. Once the rites have been performed, I order you to rest.” Slowly, he stood and with a stiff half bow, he turned on his heel. 

 

 

*** 

 

    The flames of the fire crackled and popped and the warmth of it spread across the back of her neck. Thankful for it, the cool air of the morning had arisen tiny little pimples on her skin.  She opened her eyes and stared at the dark wood wall in front of her. Not a word. Until the voice of the little boy sounded. He asked what sounded to be a question and a much deeper voice answered…a voice that made her cheeks grow warm. She tightened her fingers into fists and remained still. The little voice said something else and the deeper voice replied once more, this time with a slight chuckle. Stop this. Just get up. You’re going to have to talk to them regardless. Biting her cheek, she slowly began to sit up. With a yawn, she couldn’t help the stretch of her body, now much looser and relaxed than before. It alarmed her to think that she was actually starting to get…comfortable. Spoken words made her shoulders tense up and she turned her head to see the body and face to which the deep voice belonged to squatting in front of her.

     Feeling her cheeks grow warm, she bit down into her cheek in an attempt to calm herself. He watched her the same as she and to her pitiful delight there lived a quite pretty pink coloring in his cheeks. Smiling a simple yet charming smile, he motioned a movement against his stomach, eyes warm. Knitting her eyebrows together, she looked at the motion again. Oh. He was asking her if she was hungry? Nodding, she watched as he gave one of his own… seemingly of understanding and stood up. Sighing outwardly, she lifting fingers to her hair, hair that she hadn’t had the opportunity to wash. 

    She’d been with the boy and the one named Young-ho for a few days now and so many emotions had possessed her in that span of time. Fear. Uncertainty. Disbelief. She wasn’t even sure how she’d come to wake up in their home. A humble makeshift home it was…it spoke to their station in life. Poor and destitute. And yet the two of them were proud of it…proud to live and eat and talk in this earth made shack. 

    “A….Ah-naaaht?” Perking up, she found Young-ho standing above her with a bowl of steaming food. She smiled at his attempt to pronounce her name. It was mostly right. Not so long of an ‘a’ sound. Struggling not to laugh, she lifted her hands to accept the bowl. 

    “I know it’s not much but it is something. I feel embarrassed to have you in our home. I don’t think I’m a good host.” To her it just sounded like fast gibberish and she blinked in confusion. The pink color in his cheeks grew more and more and he lifted his hand to scratch the back of his head. 

    “Right. You can’t understand me. I suppose that’s a good thing. Ah…hm…” 

    “K-Kaah…s-sahhhm…nee….nee dahh.” It was her turn to fumble and she felt a slice of embarrassment cut into her chest. He though only smiled and she watched him walk away to join the little boy by the fire. Pulling the bowl down she saw what looked to be a rice porridge with some green vegetable. Looking up, she saw Young-ho’s eyes on her and blushed, lifting the bowl to her mouth to blow. Taking a small drink, she moved the soft porridge around in her mouth, glad for its soft texture. His eyes hadn’t left her and she gave him a thumbs up, laughing as his entire body fell relaxed. He was nervous about his cooking? He’s cute. Gods…

    She ate quietly, the warmth from the soup drifting down into her belly. Her arm had stopped hurting and she was thankful of that. She didn’t move it much out of precaution. He was the one who tended to the wound, a long slice from one of the Mongol invaders. He must have cleaned and wrapped it while she had been sleeping? Unconscious? In the days that she’d spent here, she had seem minor wounds on him much to her embarrassment. The two didn’t seem to regard her as any different than them and would strip down to bathe in the open. 

    Young-ho tried to provide some sense of privacy by waiting until her back was turned but the boy showed no propriety. There wasn’t much space for privacy in their home so she tried the best she could to give them that. She’d seen the smooth golden skin, the thick hard muscles, scars of past marring otherwise unblemished flesh. 

    “Done?” His voice jolted her out of her thoughts and she glanced up at him, his hand outstretched. 

    “What?” 

    “Si…gsa da…” He said it slow as if he wanted her to repeat it. She licked her lips and tried, knowing she was going to completely butcher it. 

    “Si…g-g-gsa -d-da…”    

    “Hasyeoss-eoyo.”

    “Ha-s-ssyeoss-e-eooyoo…”  Nodding, he took the bowl from her. 

    “Thank you.” He turned his head to look back at her and tilt his head to the side in confusion. She repeat the word of her language slow much like he’d done with her and when he repeated it her heart fluttered. Giving him a shy smile she gave a thumbs up which made him chuckle. 

    “Perhaps Tiye sunbae-nim should add you too the school list. It would help us understand each other.” It was her turn to look confused but by that point, he had turned his back to her and went to gather the bowl from the boy. Lifting a hand from the thin blanket he’d covered her with she scratched her scalp. She needed a bath terribly. 

    “…If we go now we can still make it. I know you want a bath.” She hadn’t been aware that he had been speaking, her mind on how disgusting she felt. 

    “Ah-naaaht.” That brought her gaze back up to his and her eyes widened at how close he was, kneeling in front of her. When did she close her eyes? When did she allow him to get that close? So close that now she could see that the shade of brown his eyes were weren’t quite so terribly dark. In fact they held a gold undertone to them. She imagined they would be beautiful when crossed with the light of the sun. His jawline was sharp and smooth looking and he had a charming little mole on the bridge of his nose. His lips were smaller than hers but they were pouty and she imagined they would take to the shape of hers quite nice- Blinking, she forced her eyes down, cheeks revealing much more than what she was comfortable with. He had stopped talking now, his eyes focused on her a little too intensely. 

    “Ah-naaaht.” Lifting her eyes, she stared at him, heart and blood pounding against her chest. It confused her… why she felt this way about this man. This…stranger roused emotions and feelings…images that she was ashamed to confess to.

    “Let’s get you to the bath hm? It’s still quite early.” He didn’t wait for her to show the confusion on her face, reaching for one of her hands. Lifting up on his feet, he gently nudged her with a slight pull of her arm. Get up? Where was he taking her? With his other hand, he began to mime movements that looked like washing… small circular motions across his body and hair. Oh! Understanding, she nodded and pulled back the blanket. His firm grip helped her steady and lift herself and at once he let her hand go and went over to the boy. Placing a large hand on the top of his head, he said something to him, drawing the boy’s gaze towards her. She wasn’t sure how to read the young one… he didn’t look at her or treat her as if he was repulsed by her…but he didn’t make too much of an effort to be around her either. 

    With a wave of his fingers, he told her to come and she swallowed thickly before stepping forward. Into the early morning sunlight and cool air. He grabbed his sword and looked straight ahead as they left out of the small compound. She wanted to say something…anything. Her question to Mistress Tiye not long ago running like fresh rain across her mind. She had been curious. Had been apprehensive about this man she seemed to dote on and spoil. It wasn’t accurate to call it jealousy. Rather, it was just a desire to protect her. Mistress Tiye had a big heart and it was in her nature to see the best in people. She just wanted to make sure that these strangers had malintent. She felt a hand press against her waist and pull her closer as they approached a horse drawn cart and other people starting their respective journeys. Heart beating up into her ears, she felt her neck grow warm as the hand left her the moment they passed. Glancing up at him as they walked, she let her teeth meet the familiar flesh of her inner cheek.

 

 

***

 

    The sounds of agony drifted up from the medical ward and it stabbed into his heart. What injuries he had sustained were nothing compared to these men and women fighting for the right to live. Some of the gungnyeo and gisaeng were found alive, differing degrees of odds. He’d to his relief found quite a few of his Kushite brothers still living. He’d just left from visiting them. Skilled and stealthy, they had definitely given the Mongols a run for their money and to his surprise, many of them joked and carried on like they had not just been fighting to the death. It gave him strength to see his brothers still upbeat…when all else around them was bleak and dismal.

     Now as he passed the many cots holding human bodies and parts of bodies, he came to stand over Yooshik. His hanbok and armor had been cut away from him and now his wounds were on full display. His arm had been sliced open from bicep to wrist and was currently swelling back up with blood. The gash on his chest looked even worse. The jagged teeth of the blade tore into him, leaving a shredded mess of flesh from his collarbone down to his navel. Any deeper and it would have punctured his internal organs. He looked flushed, his face growing red and sweat beading at his temples. Fever. 

    “Medic!” At his order, a few came rushing forward. 

    “Yes pyeha!”

    “He has fever. Cool him down.”

    “Yes pyeha!” He swallowed sand and he couldn’t stop his eyes from filling with quiet unshed tears. Watching his friend battle for life was hard…something he never thought he would ever witness. Reaching forward, he took his hand, warm to the touch. Memories of them as boys playing in the streams and climbing trees flittered like fine paper through his mind’s eye. The celebration that ensued when he’d passed his military exam. That night they had gotten pissy drunk and to his surprise Yooshik had gotten major play from the women. That night he became a man in more ways than one. 

    Biting into his trembling lip, he squeezed his eyes shut as finally the tears drifted down his dirty blood stained cheeks. He’d never had to question him…never had to doubt him. He’d always had his back through thick or thin. He knew many powerful members of court and princes from other regions had propositioned him to betray him with jewel, money and woman. And yet he denied it all. He had always chosen loyalty over the fleshly desires of the world. He tightened his grip of his hand. That was why…he promised to give him the one thing he wanted most. Won Hae.

     Though they had been born in different stations in life…she a thousand positions lower down than he…he still loved her. He still wanted her for himself. He wanted to leave the way of the sword…the life of blood, grit and death. He wanted to birth life from love inside of her, happiness and simplicity his inner most desire. It had not been easy. Watching the woman he loved take prominent politicians, scholars and even the King’s men to bed. It hadn’t been easy knowing that at any time if he chose to bed her there was nothing he could do about it. He had never been vocal about it…never spared it a thought. But he knew it ate him up inside. 

    “Yooshik…” The sound of his breathing answered and he opened watery eyes to glance down at his friend. 

    “I know that you hear me.” Smiling, he leaned down to speak directly into his ear. 

    “I cannot keep my promise to you if you continue to run a fever my friend. I need you to cool down.” 

    “Pyeha…” They were waiting for him to move, at a respectful distance.

    “I will give you Hae. I will give you whatever life you desire. I promised you and I always keep my word. First I need you to keep your word to me. Don’t die.” Pulling away, he left them to douse him in cool water, an acupuncture medic bowing as he stepped into the light of the day. He would survive. He had to. 

 

 

*** 

 

    A sharp rap against the door sounded before it was slid open. Every eye turned towards the gungnyeo who rushed inside. 

    “Your Majesty…”

    “What is it? It must be important for you to enter without permission.”

    “The King has returned to the throne.” At once she stood up, eyes wide. 

    “His guards stand outside. They shall deliver the message to you themselves.” Bowing, they stepped to the side as the Imperial guards entered into the room. The women all began to stand, heads bowed. Except hers. She stood still, eyes watching and waiting. They greeted the Queen and princess. 

    “The King requests your presence to return to the Palace.” The Queen looked hesitant. 

    “Is it safe to return so soon? How do we know that the threat is not still present?”

    “It is the order of the King that you return Your Majesty.” She tightened her jaw but offered no other argument. 

    “Very well then. We shall prepare to leave.” 

    “Yes your Majesty.” Chatter began to bubble up amongst the women and she turned her back to it all, moving only when Mishil came to stand next to her. 

    “You will see him soon. Your servant too. Don’t worry.” She said with a small smile. To which it was returned and it was then that she began to help the women gather their belongings. 

 

*** 

 

    A small sigh drifted up into the air and it made him smile as he leaned back against the bark of the tree. The sounds of water trickling and splashing met his ears and he kept his eyes on the area around them. Just as he suspected, the stream was empty…those who had bathed earlier were long gone and with the way the pinks and oranges met the blue in the sky he wagered it hadn’t been many but elders. Letting out a breath, he turned his head, stopping for a moment. A part of him warned himself not to…he knew he shouldn’t. But…it was for safety purposes right? Letting his eyes drift past the visage of the tree, they met the exposed body of the woman bathing. Suddenly, all the spit in his mouth dried up. Her hair was now unbound and it fell down her back like a thick wet black cloud. It glistened with the drops of the spring, drops that splashed against a shapely backside. Mouth open, he couldn’t pull his eyes away as she lifted her arms. 

    Scratching her scalp, the sound that came from her was full of content pleasure and it seemed to cause his heart to skip a beat. Her skin was glossy and beautiful, dark mahogany like that of her Mistress. Letting her fingers slip out of her hair, she winced, reaching for the arm with the bandage. Blood had started to soak through and she hissed quietly. Closing his mouth, he attempted to swallow again, entranced eyes glued to her. She leaned her head back and closed her eyes, letting him see the slim delicate column of her throat, small shoulders and a smooth flat stomach. She was short but she was athletic, muscle right where it needed to be, more yielding plump flesh where it should be. He could see a bit of her breast by the arm she lifted, the peak of it too dark in color and resembling a small blackberry. 

    Cheeks on fire, he fell back against the body of the tree, eyes squeezed shut. He gripped his sword to filth, his knuckles having grown white. His breath sounded labored and damn it with the steady rise of the sun so his manhood followed as if bound by the rays of the early morning light. The blood in his body shot below his waist and it wasn’t long before his entire shaft had grown stiff. Fuck. This was not good. He opened his eyes and glanced down at the erection tenting his baji. The sound of a splash sounded and turning eyes again, he saw that she’d gone underwater. Throat tight, he faced the forest once more. Perhaps he was just like every other horny bastard out there. Perhaps he was no better than those who lived in the red light district, found between pairs of legs and alcohol on their breath.

    “Young-ho?” Licking his lips, he closed his eyes and calmly tried to think of less arousing things. 

    “Done?” His voice was an octave lower than before but it could not be helped. 

    “Y-yes…” Pleased at the fact that she remembered his question, he cleared his throat and stood up straighter. Wiping his sweaty hands on his pants, he waited for a moment more pleased in the deflating member. Thank the Gods… Breathing quietly, he turned once more to peek around from the tree. She’d started dressing, The jeogori on first. She seemed to have a hard time with the chima but eventually got it as best she could with all the under-layers. Huffing, she turned to see him staring at her. The water from her body started to soak through the pretty umber brown silk. Without a word but a soft little smile, he reached up and untied his sleeveless blue jeogori. Extending a hand out and away from him, he waited until she slowly came closer. She appeared apprehensive even after he offered it to her again with a gentle hand. 

    “Take it.” Eyes on her, he nodded as she finally took it and slid into it. It was quite long on her obviously and he grinned, making her purse her lips. 

    “It’s so big on you.” She cut her eyes at him, making him laugh. Now that was an expression he found interesting. A warning of sorts, displeasure and annoyance. And yet he wanted to see it again. Licking his teeth, he reached out and grabbed the ties to the jeogori. She said not a word as he closed it shut. 

    “Ah-naaaht. Yeppuda. Ah-naaaht gwiyeopda.” 

    “You better not be saying something smart.” She fired back, voice full of feisty fire. 

    “You are not like any other woman I’ve met before. Not since your Mistress. She’s taken. But I wonder if you are?” He knew she wouldn’t understand his very blatant flirting and just grinned. 

    “Let’s go.” 

    “Go?”

    “Yes. Go.” She nodded and they were off, his hands at his sides except when they came onto the road. It held her close as they passed many more people than at the start of the morning and fell away the moment they were enough away to walk comfortably.  






Chapter End Notes:

 

A/N: I have started thirty-eight lol. So, this chapter I wanted to focus a bit on our new budding couple Young-ho and Anat. I think realistically it would have made sense for him to stumble upon her unconcious as Cheol-su led him home. He went back to retrieve her. I personally think that they are C-U-T-E. Anybody notice that the EXACT way Cheol-su first realized he loved Tiye was what happened with these two LOL Of course, Cheol-su and Tiye had YEARS of friendship so I wouldn't call this love on Young-ho's part yet. He's DEFINITELY attracted to her, that's VERY obvious lol. It's gonna be such a pleasure writing their love story hehe. They are such cuties. Here we see a bit more of her personality hehe. I told you she was feisty. lol. I love her *cry* And Young-ho's big d energy with the blatant flirting is very hot LOL. He ain't beating around the bush at all and I likes that sir LOL. Just want until they actually start to understand each other hehehehehe. 

Can we also talk about my other favorite moment of the chapter: Cheollie seeing his bestie Yooshik? That part tore me up. Love a man who can show emotion okay! Can you imagine how he feels seeing his friend at death's door? UGH. That hit me right in the feels. 

OH! I found pictures of Kim Jisoo online and when I saw them I was LIKE YES OMG THAT'S YOUNG-HO lol. So without further ado prepare to be spammed lol

See you (hopefully LOL) soon~

DL

 

Term:

sigsa da hasyeoss-eoyo are you done eating?

KIM JISOO AS YOUNG-HO

 

*he is SUCH a beautiful man LOL* 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.